Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Favreau and Filoni are massive fanboys though, especially the latter.

Personally I could care less if the next showrunner has ever even seen an episode of the original run. My only requirement is that they’re capable of producing a consistent number of episodes every season every year instead of the fits-and-starts nonsense we’ve had since basically 2010. Anything else is just a bonus.

Oh yeah, I wasn't implying they weren't, but I think they went about it the right way: they made their mark on the SW universe without trying to fundamentally alter it, and they did it without trying to retcon the established origins of the main characters from the original movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Go on then, I’d watch it.

https://twitter.com/radiotimes/status/1421478255752851467

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god they should go full crazy and cast an actual child

God no, with the restrictions on how long child actors are allowed to work, we'd get three episodes a year.

Almost certainly never happen, which is probably too bad. I'd predict JMS would pull stuff like having two new companions, and then at the end of the first series, one of them is revealed to be the Master. (Even better, he'd play with the question of whether this is a post-Missy Master who actually wants to help the Doctor or not.) I could see a framing narrative where the Doctor showed up at place X, with a plan, and is taking trips to other places and times in the various episodes to change or rearrange history in such a way that she can handle the place X problem in minutes at the end of it all. I also suspect we'd see far fewer "monsters" and more alien species with individuals and conflicting morals and agendas.

Of course, there's always the risk that he has the Doctor announce that she's not going to travel in the TARDIS because it'd be better if she walks everywhere.

One good thing I can say about JMS as a producer/show-runner: he knows how to stretch a minimal budget. And he knows how to get things filmed on time by planning really far in advance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, Kate Herron's not coming back for Loki season two, maybe the MCU's loss can be the BBC's gain?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey, Kate Herron's not coming back for Loki season two, maybe the MCU's loss can be the BBC's gain?

She did a good job, but she didn't write Loki, she was the director. Show-runners tend to be writers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Isn’t JMS crazy now, or am I thinking of a different 90’s sci-fi showrunner?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JMS sucks.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

feel like we're. through the looking glass when in the headline Chibnall is referred to by name but JMS is demoted to needing an explanation of who he is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cerv posted:

feel like we're. through the looking glass when in the headline Chibnall is referred to by name but JMS is demoted to needing an explanation of who he is.

I'd expect that a British media twitter account would think that their intended audience would be more familiar with current British Sci-fi productions than a 25 year old American one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really can't stress enough that in most publications, article writers don't pick their headlines.

Maybe they did here, maybe they didn't, but I wish more people knew this.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

marktheando posted:

She did a good job, but she didn't write Loki, she was the director. Show-runners tend to be writers.

True, but Marvel's been doing things a little differently. Herron was in the writers' room when they were developing the series. Which isn't to say she was in charge of the show, that was one of Feige's lieutenants, just that she had more input than a typical tv directors.

And even if they don't give her the reigns of the show they'd be fools not to get her to direct an episode or two.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Will never happen but I'd sure as hell want to see what he could do.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Last Call posted:

Will never happen but I'd sure as hell want to see what he could do.

Forget looms. Forget the timeless child. Let's talk Time Lord Totems. The number of nuclear detonations also goes through the fuckin' roof.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching the 1970s Tom Baker season 16 on late-night pbs and I’m really enjoying it, it’s the first Dr Who I’ve ever seen, but I’m starting to wonder how many episodes start with a situation where two opposed sides are against each other and the doctor is captured by one side and the companion by the other after they get separated. So far, I think it’s been the setup for every episode this season.

Tom Baker is terrific and Mary Tamm makes a really great straight man for him. It’s too bad she just did the one season, but after reading up on why she left, it makes sense.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

J33uk posted:

Forget looms. Forget the timeless child. Let's talk Time Lord Totems. The number of nuclear detonations also goes through the fuckin' roof.

Hey, that was just John “Nuke ‘em” Sheridan. Sinclair never nuked anyone. I haven’t seen Sense8, but I think there’s a distinct lack of nukes there, too. Also in Changeling.

And it isn’t like “insane control freak becomes showrunner for Doctor Who” would be a novel circumstance at this point.

Either he’d triple down on the Time Lords, or he’d drop them entirely and introduce multiple potential replacements for them. We’d probably see more exploration of the TARDIS interior, possibly doubling as a bubble episode, and we’d see some kind of interwoven temporal story arc that relies on people being able to stream the show on demand.

Non-zero risk of “the TARDIS becomes a woman again,” though. And there would be no shortage of long Doctor speeches.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m watching the 1970s Tom Baker season 16 on late-night pbs and I’m really enjoying it, it’s the first Dr Who I’ve ever seen, but I’m starting to wonder how many episodes start with a situation where two opposed sides are against each other and the doctor is captured by one side and the companion by the other after they get separated. So far, I think it’s been the setup for every episode this season.

Tom Baker is terrific and Mary Tamm makes a really great straight man for him. It’s too bad she just did the one season, but after reading up on why she left, it makes sense.

One of the reasons Four and Romana get separated like that is that they are, well, peers - they're both Time Lords.

So the stories pair them off each with "normies" so they both get chances to exposit and discover stuff on relatively equal footing until Tom Baker finds an opportunity to be condescending and horny.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

One of the reasons Four and Romana get separated like that is that they are, well, peers - they're both Time Lords.

So the stories pair them off each with "normies" so they both get chances to exposit and discover stuff on relatively equal footing until Tom Baker finds an opportunity to be condescending and horny.

(Though on radio a big reason why this also happens is because Tom doesn't record with Lalla, so it's easier on everyone if they each get their own subplots and supporting casts.)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

The only thing that the Doctor cannot be is American.

"Lots of planets have an America!" :haw:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Astroman posted:

"Lotta fuckin’ planets have a Bawstin!" :haw:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BBC Reporter: Well we're here at the 100th Anniversary celebrations for Doctor Who, where the man of the hour is of course the actor who has been the Doctor for the last 40 years straight years and shows no signs of slowing down. Hard to believe that in 2022 people were opposed to the idea of Bill Burr playing such an iconic British character, but now nobody can imagine it being any other way!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Astroman posted:

"Lotta planets got a Minnesota, ya know, oh yah!" :haw:

This is if they make Noah Hawley do DW as Fargo season 5; since that show's already had flying saucers and an interdimensional bowling alley, it shouldn't be a big deal to put a time traveling alien in it next. :v:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

BBC Reporter: Well we're here at the 100th Anniversary celebrations for Doctor Who, where the man of the hour is of course the actor who has been the Doctor for the last 40 years straight years and shows no signs of slowing down. Hard to believe that in 2022 people were opposed to the idea of Bill Burr playing such an iconic British character, but now nobody can imagine it being any other way!

kehd, this freaking dahlek won't move. Get outtah the way ya prick. OH yah, big deal being skahro.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The Doctor Who marathons on Twitch a few years ago really solidified for me the need for a return to half-hour 4-part serials. It give you so much time for world building, characterisation, and really letting mysteries breathe. And, you know, cliffhangers, the thing the series was primarily known for once upon a time.

I don't really understand why they don't do it. Am I naive or surely it makes economic sense to split a 12 episode series into three 4-part stories, so you only have to build three sets and props and cast three ensembles and you maximise their usage, instead of creating nearly a dozen and instantly dumping them and otherwise having 20 stories set in modern day Cardiff?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Szmitten posted:

The Doctor Who marathons on Twitch a few years ago really solidified for me the need for a return to half-hour 4-part serials. It give you so much time for world building, characterisation, and really letting mysteries breathe. And, you know, cliffhangers, the thing the series was primarily known for once upon a time.

I don't really understand why they don't do it. Am I naive or surely it makes economic sense to split a 12 episode series into three 4-part stories, so you only have to build three sets and props and cast three ensembles and you maximise their usage, instead of creating nearly a dozen and instantly dumping them and otherwise having 20 stories set in modern day Cardiff?

RTD made no secret of the fact that he was hugely influenced by loving Joss Whedon and Buffy the Vampire Slayer; so while I'm sure there were other concerns in terms of budget and logistics and whatnot that influenced the format that the show ultimately took (as well as general viewer habits having changed over the years), I'll just lay the decision to have the show's typical season consist of episodes around 40-45 minutes with a couple of two-parters thrown in at RTD's feet, as his way of emulating that show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Basically self-contained episodes sell better. You can watch a complete story all in one episode and be done. With serials, people have to watch all of it to make sense. It's easier in today's streaming culture, but broadcast TV doesn't run like that any more.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Sure. Just with the budget cuts they always get and the subsequent irregular schedule, the prospect of *theoretically* being able to extrapolate 3 seasons of assets/props/cast out of the equivalent of one current season (granted, at the cost of the number of stories being told, and then those few stories have to be really good to justify committing a third of a season to it) just seems like the ultimate cash saver.

But maybe it isn't.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Series 9's two-parters were really solid in that regard

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Series 9's two-parters were really solid in that regard

Under the Lake's cliffhanger and Before the Flood's intro are honestly the most iconic moments in Capaldi's run for me. Series 9 is pretty neat in general.

e: To the extent that I almost wish every episode would begin with an address to the audience to talk about something tangential to the episode. It was very fun.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 1, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TL posted:

I'm still pulling for Richard Ayoade, personally.

Oh my god I can hear this in my head already. I think that would be a fantastic doctor and change of pace.

Personally if we're taking moonshots, I want Matthew Berry as Doctor, but I will also settle for him as companion or Master.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Said it years ago, but just cast Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, and Tamsin Grieg, with one as the Doctor, one as the Master, and one as the companion. Doesn't matter who gets what role. :v:

(but don't make Graham Linehan the showrunner, he can gently caress all the way off)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh, Katy Manning dated Jimi Hendrix.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, Katy Manning dated Jimi Hendrix.

And also Derek Fowlds, of Basil Brush and Yes, Minister fame.

I'm not sure which of the two surprises me more. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Said it years ago, but just cast Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, and Tamsin Grieg, with one as the Doctor, one as the Master, and one as the companion. Doesn't matter who gets what role. :v:

They can switch up roles every episode and nobody ever comments on it!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(but don't make Graham Linehan the showrunner, he can gently caress all the way off)

:agreed:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Narsham posted:

Hey, that was just John “Nuke ‘em” Sheridan. Sinclair never nuked anyone. I haven’t seen Sense8, but I think there’s a distinct lack of nukes there, too. Also in Changeling.

And it isn’t like “insane control freak becomes showrunner for Doctor Who” would be a novel circumstance at this point.

Either he’d triple down on the Time Lords, or he’d drop them entirely and introduce multiple potential replacements for them. We’d probably see more exploration of the TARDIS interior, possibly doubling as a bubble episode, and we’d see some kind of interwoven temporal story arc that relies on people being able to stream the show on demand.

Non-zero risk of “the TARDIS becomes a woman again,” though. And there would be no shortage of long Doctor speeches.

Okay now weirdly enough I'm imaging Intersections in Real Time except the Doctor is control the entire time and breaks the interrogator. poo poo. To be fair you're right about Sense8 but it has some pretty bangs.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

RTD made no secret of the fact that he was hugely influenced by loving Joss Whedon and Buffy the Vampire Slayer; so while I'm sure there were other concerns in terms of budget and logistics and whatnot that influenced the format that the show ultimately took (as well as general viewer habits having changed over the years), I'll just lay the decision to have the show's typical season consist of episodes around 40-45 minutes with a couple of two-parters thrown in at RTD's feet, as his way of emulating that show.

The thing is, the definition of a show-runner is a writer who can write a story in which a main cast member permanently leaves or dies. As that means an actor no longer getting a pay check, it’s inherently a management position.

Non-show-runner writers of ongoing shows often have to deal with a pointless character, played by a limited actor, and find them something to do, at the expense of the story they want to tell. You can see why they want that power, and how it sometimes produces good TV. You can also see (Whedon being the most obvious example) that giving writers that power of hire and fire over actors is more or less inherently problematic.

The thing is, Doctor Who hasn’t had a main character written out if the show since Adric. Every Doctor and companion (unless Adam counts) has left on their own terms, with the story sometimes visibly flexing to accommodate whether they fancied another year in Cardiff.

So it doesn’t actually need a showrunner; it would do fine with just an executive producer making decisions, and maybe a (pretty junior) continuity guy coming up with suggestions that minimized inconsistencies between scripts.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

radmonger posted:

The thing is, the definition of a show-runner is a writer who can write a story in which a main cast member permanently leaves or dies. As that means an actor no longer getting a pay check, it’s inherently a management position.

Non-show-runner writers of ongoing shows often have to deal with a pointless character, played by a limited actor, and find them something to do, at the expense of the story they want to tell. You can see why they want that power, and how it sometimes produces good TV. You can also see (Whedon being the most obvious example) that giving writers that power of hire and fire over actors is more or less inherently problematic.

The thing is, Doctor Who hasn’t had a main character written out if the show since Adric. Every Doctor and companion (unless Adam counts) has left on their own terms, with the story sometimes visibly flexing to accommodate whether they fancied another year in Cardiff.

So it doesn’t actually need a showrunner; it would do fine with just an executive producer making decisions, and maybe a (pretty junior) continuity guy coming up with suggestions that minimized inconsistencies between scripts.

So basically, the original producer/script editor model they used during the original show's run? :v:

Sadly, as much as I'd like to see a return to those days, I don't think the production style or the BBC's current culture would allow for that. IIRC, a lot of modern Doctor Who's stuff is sourced or produced externally from the BBC, whereas during the original show's run pretty much everything was done in-house. That's also why a lot of the people who worked on the show weren't elevated fanboys, until maybe when Andrew Cartmel (and arguably Eric Saward) was script editor. The vast majority of script editors and producers were BBC journeymen, for whom working on DW was just another gig (though it did become a premier gig, as time went on and DW became more of an institution). Some liked the gig better than others, of course; but for the most part they weren't looking to put their stamp on DW lore, they were just trying to get a sci-fi program done that would hopefully get good ratings.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

radmonger posted:

Uhh. What? A lot here doesn't track, not the least the implication that Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker or Sophie Aldred left the show of their own accord.

And then there's Eccelston, the rumours about Capaldi being disliked by higher ups at the BBC, and other bits of drama that have popped up here and there.

Taking control of a story away from the creators and into the hands of management seems like a dumb idea too, tbh, and it certainly wouldn't prevent power trippers from abusing their position.

Surely the writers and actors should have control over what happens to characters.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Blaming Joss Whedon's abusive tendencies on the fact that he was a writer with too much power is a take. One that I'm pretty sure I've actually seen already in this thread, lmao. What the gently caress, Doctor Who thread? What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Blaming Joss Whedon's abusive tendencies on the fact that he was a writer with too much power is a take. One that I'm pretty sure I've actually seen already in this thread, lmao. What the gently caress, Doctor Who thread? What the gently caress.

A lot of goons really hate his shows and I don't know why.

Dislike or think his writing is lovely, sure, that's taste. And the man is definitely a lovely human being too. But, like, the anger always feels kinda intense, and it was like this years before all the stuff about the man came out. But I wasn't around when any of his shows were regularly airing so I dunno when or why this started.

I do remember posting in the combined shows thread we had here once upon a time, but I think most of those posters moved on.