Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Pamela Springstein posted:

I think they're trying to sell right now. I just dont see who is buying.

cheaper for either NBC or Fox to own the company outright than keep paying a billion dollars for the tv rights every few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fans burning their Fiend belts right about now

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

JUNGLE BOY posted:

$3.77B for WWE is honestly a bargain given what their TV and streaming rights currently cost

honestly, the biggest barrier to the sale right now is probably the split rights between fox and NBC. but if you're fox or NBC, why wouldn't you spend just under $4 billion to just secure the rights and the entire library forever?

If anybody is going to buy it's NBC given how tied into NBC/Universal WWE is right now with the USA TV deals and Peacock. Plus the rumblings of Fox not being to happy with WWE and having to promote Peacock do seem to have some smoke to them. On a Post podcast Brandon Thurston and Jon Pollock brought up how odd it was that WWE Steroid trial movie brought up Rupert Murdoch as a bad guy and well....It's classic Vince to make someone out to be bad guy if they're feuding

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’m not a big Bray fan and don’t want him in AEW but I’m sure he’ll do well for himself. He could make a killing in the indies and can even call himself something like Wyatt Windham.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

As I said on twitter, WWE indiscriminately cutting talent, especially those with large downsides, is a huge negative for talent. If WWE isn't just freely signing people anymore, and it definitely appears that they are not, then talent loses a big portion of the negotiation leverage which is going to depress salaries.

Guys like Brian and Punk are fine. They're big name known quantities who have made a shitload of money and can just sit home until someone offers them what they want, but guys like that are few and far between.

Someone like Bray is not going to be able to get the sort of salary WWE was paying him anywhere else and that's going to ring true for the lot of the folks WWE has released.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gonzo McFee posted:

I am so loving confused that there were people who liked the guy in the rip off Joker mask who had poo poo matches for real. It makes no sense to me. I am perplexed.

There are people who like Flair/Steamboat NWA style stuff and people who like carny spectacle poo poo that is completely at odds with reality and don't give a gently caress about the athleticism involved in that.

Although some of the stans being exemplified here are just honestly embarrassing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Have to imagine locker room morale for everyone that isn't completely all in on the cult is super low

Nakamura's deal is up this year right? I doubt they offer him big money so I think he'd probably look at doing AEW/NJPW US

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The fiend stuff legit felt like it was being written by a 16 year old who was on a diet of Whip it’s and crystal skull vodka.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

oooooookay I was giving them the benefit of the doubt

dude how have you not learned by now

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

At this point the only safe bets to stay in WWE forever are Cena and Orton. I could even see them throwing away Rollins at one point. Sami is done for sure this year

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Have to imagine locker room morale for everyone that isn't completely all in on the cult is super low

Nakamura's deal is up this year right? I doubt they offer him big money so I think he'd probably look at doing AEW/NJPW US

it has me wondering how much someone like reginald is getting paid because it feels like the future of WWE is like 4 or 5 big names + 30 reginalds who are probably making like $100k and inexplicably getting too much TV time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Would howl with laughter if Nakamura is like Danielson and they just let his deal expire and one NJPW US show it's just:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctS_PUU-ab0

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Nakamura signed an extension in 2019, Idk if that means 3 more years or 5 more though

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They put Bray's contract in a trashcan like structure

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Whoever said "I thought Braun was shocking but this is beyond the pale," hit the nail on the head. Regardless of your opinion of his talent or his gimmicks or the quality of his in-ring work, there is absolutely no denying that Bray Wyatt has been one of the most consistently pushed wrestlers on the WWE roster for almost a decade. And they just tossed him away to save pennies on the dollar. Its freaking surreal.

My two cents about where he could/should go: I think Bray, Braun and Eric Redbeard would be amazing assets for New Japan. A trio of giant hossy beardy Gaijins, two of which are ex-World Champions who have had top-tier worldwide exposure in the wrestling business, there's no limit to what they could do with that. Revitalize their heavyweight tag division, give a big push to those Trios titles, supercharge the Bullet Club or Suzukigun, put any of them or all of them in the US title picture to have awesome matches with Archer (or Tanahashi if you want to put the belt on him) put one of them in the G1 and set up a big attraction match at Wrestlekingdom against one or two of your top guys. I could go on.

I think AEW is just too crowded right now, even with Rampage launching, for those guys to shine there. And yeah, naturally they could also go for a smaller company like Impact or something, although at least for Braun and Bray I don't think those companies would have the juice to pay them what they're worth. Bray I could see working the indy scene for the creative outlet, but Braun kind of strikes me as more mercenary, which is fair given that his size comes with medical needs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

quote:

Bray Wyatt was released by WWE in what he was told was a "budget cut" on July 31.

Fightful was told that Johnny Ace made the call, and also sent a notification out to shocked WWE talent moments before the news broke online that Wyatt had been released.

The notion of a budget cut immediately surprised those within WWE, as Wyatt is known as being a great merch seller whenever he's actually active. One source indicated that Wyatt was a money maker for the company when that's the case.

In the hour following the release, we're told that Wyatt's name was actually brought up during another recent round of cuts. There have been multiple wrestlers that were discussed, but ended up being held on to. We've seen Observer's report that Wyatt was slated for a return in August, and we can confirm tentative creative plans were in place for him.

Fightful has been told that the creative team had been relayed that Wyatt was getting protective of his character after what were seen as poor creative decisions and ideas thrown his way, though many members of the team didn't speak to Wyatt directly and weren't sure if it was hearsay.

Bro.

Broooooo.

He was actually making more money than his contract but they cut him because he got sick of them loving up his character.

Oh my GOOOOOOOOD.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Bray Wyatt was released by WWE in what he was told was a "budget cut" on July 31.

Fightful was told that Johnny Ace made the call, and also sent a notification out to shocked WWE talent moments before the news broke online that Wyatt had been released.

The notion of a budget cut immediately surprised those within WWE, as Wyatt is known as being a great merch seller whenever he's actually active. One source indicated that Wyatt was a money maker for the company when that's the case.

In the hour following the release, we're told that Wyatt's name was actually brought up during another recent round of cuts. There have been multiple wrestlers that were discussed, but ended up being held on to. We've seen Observer's report that Wyatt was slated for a return in August, and we can confirm tentative creative plans were in place for him.

Fightful has been told that the creative team had been relayed that Wyatt was getting protective of his character after what were seen as poor creative decisions and ideas thrown his way, though many members of the team didn't speak to Wyatt directly and weren't sure if it was hearsay.

Edit: gently caress, beaten by a moment.

So I wasn't watching wrestling at all for Wyatt Family stuff. Does any of it hold up? Anything I should check out in particular?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
:lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

So I wasn't watching wrestling at all for Wyatt Family stuff. Does any of it hold up? Anything I should check out in particular?

Some of the stuff with Orton holds up. That was a really fun act for a while. Him winning the championship was great before that whole thing went totally stupid.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Pylons posted:

The Shield feud was excellent, and it was before they went Full Stupid with his character

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It was good for awhile, then they had Cena beat the entire Wyatt Family at once in a cage match, then they had brainwashed children singing at Cena, then they had a spooky ghost

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

projecthalaxy posted:

They put Bray's contract in a trashcan like structure
Wyatt replacement theory

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MJeff posted:

Bro.

Broooooo.

He was actually making more money than his contract but they cut him because he got sick of them loving up his character.

Oh my GOOOOOOOOD.

This just keeps getting better and better. And is far more entertaining than RAW, SD, and NXT combined.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I just went through the entire roster list on Wikipedia and predict the following main roster cuts by the end of the year:

- Jeff Hardy
- Elias
-MACE
- T-BAR
- Slapjack
- Shelton Benjamin
- Shayna Bazsler
- Zelina Vega (again)

Plus Sami Zayn may just leave. If they sell and cancel the performance centre then there will probably be close to 100 cuts.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Every failed football player they bring into the PC is now going to be preemptively fitted for a fiend mask

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What about Richochet

Or is he a guy they know would be huge somewhere else so they'll hold onto him even though they have no intention of using him

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Intruder posted:

What about Richochet

Or is he a guy they know would be huge somewhere else so they'll hold onto him even though they have no intention of using him

ricochet isnt making enough money to be cut. he has probably asked the wwe if he can be paid minimum wage because he just loves going out and performing so dang much

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Pylons posted:

The Cena feud starting during the build to Mania 30. Honestly I think the whole Cena feud through all three matches is pretty good, though seeing a wrestlers who's on the cusp of exploding into a top-level guy get buried by three really poorly booked finishes is rough, and the finish of their cage match with the demonic child stopping Cena is pretty bad even though the match is pretty solid.

And the Shield Feud, naturally. Shield vs Wyatts is still an absolutely incredible match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Pylons posted:

A lot of it doesn't hold up just based on Wyatt losing every loving feud he was in.

Wyatt Family vs The Shield
Bray vs Cena (The first one, where he had the spooky boy singing)
The Wyatt Family vs Daniel Brian (Which turned into Brian's WM 30 win because of how OVER he was)
The Wyatt Family vs Randy Orton

You can skip most of the matches, just check out the videos. The only matches I recommend are the SHIELD feud because they were awesome and the crowds were extremely hot for them

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

My two cents about where he could/should go: I think Bray, Braun and Eric Redbeard would be amazing assets for New Japan. A trio of giant hossy beardy Gaijins, two of which are ex-World Champions who have had top-tier worldwide exposure in the wrestling business, there's no limit to what they could do with that. Revitalize their heavyweight tag division, give a big push to those Trios titles, supercharge the Bullet Club or Suzukigun, put any of them or all of them in the US title picture to have awesome matches with Archer (or Tanahashi if you want to put the belt on him) put one of them in the G1 and set up a big attraction match at Wrestlekingdom against one or two of your top guys. I could go on.

My fantasy booking is dissolve United Empire, pull EVIL out of Bullet Club because it has destroyed his character, and put Bray + either of the other two ex-Wyatts with EVIL and O-Karn as a new stable of giant spooky men. Add a couple of cruisers with spooky masks or something. Just bunch of beefy boys smashing people and posing like a metal band in front of lights.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pylons posted:

Real early on, Bray was just a creepy swamp guy. Like basically Brodie and Rowan were the family from Texas Chainsaw Massacre and he was the cult leader who sounded vaguely like DeNiro in Cape Fear. It would have owned but they never let him successfully recruit anyone to his cult and he ran headlong into Super Cena a few too many times and killed any mystique the gimmick had.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I just went through the entire roster list on Wikipedia and predict the following main roster cuts by the end of the year:

- Jeff Hardy
- Elias
-MACE
- T-BAR
- Slapjack
- Shelton Benjamin
- Shayna Bazsler
- Zelina Vega (again)

Plus Sami Zayn may just leave. If they sell and cancel the performance centre then there will probably be close to 100 cuts.

theres no way keith lee is making it to the end of this year

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
God, I'd be pissed if I was Fox. Imagine shelling out a ton of money for WWE, getting a fraction of the audience you expected, having to shill for your competitor's shows and streaming service, and now they're pruning all the big name talent you paid those bucks for.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Intruder posted:

What about Richochet

Seems like Nick isn't big on using that excuse to keep talent.

Ricochet will get cut but keep showing up to work because he's just so happy to be there.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah I meant to add him to the list too. He’s undoubtedly a guy they’ll feel they paid too much for.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

were the spooky projections on the canvas for wyatt/orton his idea or creative's

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1421534870078214146

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

For sure.
I’d say Garza and Carillo will be gone soon too

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Love fiend or hate fiend, you have to admit the Firefly Funhouse match at mania 2020 was a very unique and imo cool thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

excited to see alexa bliss put a curse on like, fuckin, otis or some poo poo and turn him into the fiend 2 still fiendin