Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Making it a visual chart really puts into perspective how lopsided character distribution is. And this is even missing Kokomi & Thoma who would lopside poo poo even further.

This chart gets even worse when you filter them for being 4 or 5*

And huh, that really highlights how slow the trickle of Geo characters is. Which is weird since they don't have a dead Archon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

how do we not have a cryo catalyst

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Some Numbers posted:

Is this the one with multiple Abyss Mages? That one is a huge pain in the rear end; the way I beat it was breaking their shields and drowning them.

If you want to poke us on the Discord, I'm sure some of us would be happy to jump in and help out.

How does co-op work in regards to story missions? I thought it didn't work at all.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Seeing Aloy made me remember... is the 2.1 release literally a "you are paying PSN" perk or can I somehow link my PC account to my PS4 and claim her early?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Andrast posted:

how do we not have a cryo catalyst

eula killed her

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

its kinda interesting how now with inazuma we see electro ended up a bit unbalanced because they were just holding onto those designs for the elecro area. the real mystery to me is hydro, which they don't really seem to have any plan for? it makes me kinda suspect they're actually going to do some kind of rework with it and are holding off on adding more characters that would create more testing for them to do so. like if you just hid hydro from the image the distribution of pyro/electric/cryo and anemo/geo seem more or less fine.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Mailer posted:

Seeing Aloy made me remember... is the 2.1 release literally a "you are paying PSN" perk or can I somehow link my PC account to my PS4 and claim her early?

I think everyone is going to get her, but PS players get her bit earlier than the rest.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
We still have four regions to get all of Teyvat. We might get a ton of hydro with Fontaine.

At this point I'm prepared to be utterly whelmed by whatever they do with dendro or any elemental rework.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Making it a visual chart really puts into perspective how lopsided character distribution is. And this is even missing Kokomi & Thoma who would lopside poo poo even further.

Kinda weird that Electro 4*s are concentrated in the same weapon types. They did a pretty good job of spreading the Pyro and Cryo 4* characters across all the weapons.

I assume Anemo and Geo are "lower" priority in terms of 4* characters because Anemo and Geo are accessible via the Traveler pretty early on and they expect people to use them. Maybe that's related to the way Electro is concentrated: no new Electro swords so people get excited about Electro Traveler, no Electro polearms so there's no chance of Baal being outclassed... though I've got no idea why they haven't made another Electro catalyst user.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Some Numbers posted:

There's two characters available per month for 34 Glitter and a bunch of weapons for 24.

One Fate is a pretty bad deal.

Buying 6.8 fates on the limited banner gives you ~70% of a 4 star drop on the limited banner ~10% of a 5 star character on the limited banner.

2/3rds of the 5 star characters on the limited banner are going to be the banner character and 2/3rds of the 4 stars will be from the banner pool of 3.

So let's say you have 2,250 glitter to spend. You could get 66 chosen 4 star characters/constellations based on what comes up in the shop.

Alternatively, you could get 450 intertwined fate. This will give you 40 4 star characters chosen from a pool of 3 and 20 random 4* characters or weapons from the general pool. Additionally, you will get six 5 star characters, 4 of which will be the banner character you chose.

Therefore you gave up 4 chosen 5 star characters and 2 other 5 stars from the starter pool in order to choose your 4 star characters and get a few more of them.

Further, most of the meaningful 4* constellations come at C6 which means the next time you get that character randomly you were effectively spending your glitter on renting that constellation. With the banner that day comes much later and when it does come you still retain the value of your progress towards a 5 star character.

So long-term there's limited value in exercising choice over your 4 star characters. You're giving up multiple 5 star characters, 2/3rds of which you got to choose as well, in order to have a momentary and likely unnecessary advantage with your 4 star characters.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 31, 2021

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So just to make sure I understand the OP and advice earlier:

I should use my primogens ONLY to buy Intertwined Fates to roll on the character banner.
Stardust I can use to EITHER buy Intertwined Fates or alternatively Aquainted Fates to roll on the standard banner?

And also what is a 4* "rate up" character?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hopper posted:

I should use my primogens ONLY to buy Intertwined Fates to roll on the character banner.
Stardust I can use to EITHER buy Intertwined Fates or alternatively Aquainted Fates to roll on the standard banner?

Buy all five acquaint and intertwined with dust every month IMO

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

In general, you should NEVER purchase an Acquaint fate using any currency when you have the option to purchase an Intertwined fate for the same price. You are taking drops and pity away from the character/limited banner.

The 4* rate ups are the 4* characters that are given guaranteed drops on the limited banner. Right now this is Chonyun, Ningguang, and Yanfei.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Hopper posted:

On the character banner, there is one "rate up" 5* and three "rate up" 4*s. You are much more likely to get those characters. The odds are in the wish details if you want specific numbers.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Or the weapon banner, but most people will tell you the character banner is better for newer players, since it unlocks new characters, while weapons jsut make numbers bigger, for the most part.

quote:

Always buy the 10 wishes available every month.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hopper posted:

Yes. You should buy all of both fates every month, since you'll eventually have shitloads of stardust. Gems are for the character banner.

quote:

Character banners have a rate up 5* and three rate up 4*s as indentified by what's on the banner. Essentially that means when the invisible dice say you roll a 5* then it's 50% to be the rate-up banner 5*. The 4* characters work the same, except if you hit the 50/50 odds of it being a featured 4* it's now a random chance to decide which one. In both cases if the previous 4*/5* pull wasn't a banner rate-up then the next one automatically is someone on the banner. This is why it's possible (but not likely) to grind your gem stash to dust and never get the 4* rate-up character.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ardlen posted:

On the character banner, there is one "rate up" 5* and three "rate up" 4*s. You are much more likely to get those characters. The odds are in the wish details if you want specific numbers.

Keep in mind that the 5 star character on that banner are only available while that banner is going. There's been a rare exception (Keqing) and sometimes the 5 star character reappears on a new banner.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Araganzar posted:

Buying 6.8 fates on the limited banner gives you ~70% of a 4 star drop on the limited banner ~10% of a 5 star character on the limited banner.

2/3rds of the 5 star characters on the limited banner are going to be the banner character and 2/3rds of the 4 stars will be from the banner pool of 3.

So let's say you have 2,250 glitter to spend. You could get 66 chosen 4 star characters/constellations based on what comes up in the shop.

Alternatively, you could get 450 intertwined fate. This will give you 40 4 star characters chosen from a pool of 3 and 20 random 4* characters or weapons from the general pool. Additionally, you will get six 5 star characters, 4 of which will be the banner character you chose.

Therefore you gave up 4 chosen 5 star characters and 2 other 5 stars from the starter pool in order to choose your 4 star characters and get a few more of them.

Further, most of the meaningful 4* constellations come at C6 which means the next time you get that character randomly you were effectively spending your glitter on renting that constellation. With the banner that day comes much later and when it does come you still retain the value of your progress towards a 5 star character.

So long-term there's limited value in exercising choice over your 4 star characters. You're giving up multiple 5 star characters, 2/3rds of which you got to choose as well, in order to have a momentary and likely unnecessary advantage with your 4 star characters.

lmao at 2,250 glitter. I've been playing near since release and have made like 100ish glitter? If you've whaled hard enough to get over 2000 glitter than you already have basically all the 4*s and 5*s you want.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
As a heads up to the newer people in this thread. If you play coop, the censor is completely insane, and the most inane combinations or letters are censored.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The difference between a welkin buyer and f2p is basically an extra 4 to 6 5-stars since launch.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

lmao at 2,250 glitter. I've been playing near since release and have made like 100ish glitter? If you've whaled hard enough to get over 2000 glitter than you already have basically all the 4*s and 5*s you want.

Honestly wish we could all come clean on how much we've spent on the waifu/husubando game.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

jfc I only used 2250 glitter so the math came out in whole numbers

do you want another post that uses 7 glitter and a bunch of decimal points?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Honestly wish we could all come clean on how much we've spent on the waifu/husubando game.

I've whaled pretty hard, probably about $5k since launch. I've done way worse poo poo in my life and rich bozos are spending billions on an inane space race. C6 Xiao is my baby.

You all have my blessing to be honest.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Araganzar posted:

jfc I only used 2250 glitter so the math came out in whole numbers

do you want another post that uses 7 glitter and a bunch of decimal points?

The rate you get glitter is literally the point of why you save it for stuff like buying characters, using giant numbers negates that point. I bought C1 Kaeya with 34 star glitter which would have gotten me 6 rolls and absolutely jack poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'll come clean. I've bought all BPs/all welkins since October, and all the first time bonuses (cleaned out during Ganyu/Albedo) then no top ups beyond that. If they refresh the first-time bonuses for anniversary I will buy them out again this year.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Garrand posted:

The rate you get glitter is literally the point of why you save it for stuff like buying characters, using giant numbers negates that point. I bought C1 Kaeya with 34 star glitter which would have gotten me 6 rolls and absolutely jack poo poo.

The math I posted doesn't change if you divide the numbers by 10 or 100. If you don't understand why 6 rolls is valuable outside of the particular ten seconds in which you used them I'm not sure how much help I can be.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've spent $50 on this game but I spent high 3 figures on Marvel Heroes so I feel like my soul is already blackened with that sin

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Araganzar posted:

The math I posted doesn't change if you divide the numbers by 10 or 100. If you don't understand why 6 rolls is valuable outside of the particular ten seconds in which you used them I'm not sure how much help I can be.

Well, while you're waiting for those 6 pulls to add up to a 5* I'm having fun doing crits with my Kaeya

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Araganzar posted:

You're right but also realistically there's going to be a limit to how long people play this game. Very few people will probably play long enough to get a C6 of the freebie units that never show up on banners through natural standard banner wishes, if the game even looks remotely the same that far out.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've spent more than I like to acknowledge on this game. Not to whale levels or to the point of impeding my life or anything but still probably a few hundred over the course of the game so far.

It's why I caution so hard on gacha games like I've done in this thread. I fear what people more vulnerable than me would spend if they got sucked into the trap.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Ultima66 posted:

You're right but also realistically there's going to be a limit to how long people play this game. Very few people will probably play long enough to get a C6 of the freebie units that never show up on banners through natural standard banner wishes, if the game even looks remotely the same that far out.

Oh no I totally agree that if you want to play Kaeya you should buy him in the shop. Similarly I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on a C1 Benny or a C6 Ning.

I was responding to the statement that buying wishes is a pretty bad deal compared to buying characters. It's not. Unless you have a specific case like characters that will never have a rate up it's a much better deal.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've bought Welkin + BP pretty much every month since I started last October, so about $150-165. But I'll definitely shill out money for crystals occasionally when we get more cosmetics, and I've said as much on surveys.

I have uncommon banner luck though (only two off-banner 5*s out of the nine I've done on the limited banner) so that probably helps with the temptation to gamble.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I'm rocking that f2p lyfe, no welkin, no BP, no top ups, Bennett main forever.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I might buy the BP if I get to like level 40+ and that'll be the first :10bux: I've spent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finally gained access to the big underground area with the final teleport statue. That whole cave system is pretty neat.

I spent a while stuck on part of the quest to get the lens (the one that you can use on the glowing fox statues); during the part where you have to make the ghosts move to the same place, it took me forever to find the one on the roof of the building.

Inazuma as it is right now is pretty big and probably has a similar amount of content overall to Liyue (just because it's a lot more dense). It'll be neat once they open up the rest of it.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

As a heads up to the newer people in this thread. If you play coop, the censor is completely insane, and the most inane combinations or letters are censored.

I like how a word like "butter" becomes "****er"

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've spent more than I like to acknowledge on this game. Not to whale levels or to the point of impeding my life or anything but still probably a few hundred over the course of the game so far.

It's why I caution so hard on gacha games like I've done in this thread. I fear what people more vulnerable than me would spend if they got sucked into the trap.

This is about the same as me. It helps that 5* constellations have zero appeal to me; I think that's what leads to peoples' insane 4-figure spending (well, that and people in the early game trying to get a specific character from the standard banner; it's kind of funny now to think about someone whaling for early-game Keqing).

I basically budget in such a way that I want to always save at least $X per month, but I'm willing to be pretty frivolous as long as I'm below that limit.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

I'll come clean. I've bought all BPs/all welkins since October, and all the first time bonuses (cleaned out during Ganyu/Albedo) then no top ups beyond that. If they refresh the first-time bonuses for anniversary I will buy them out again this year.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. Except it was all for Zhong, essentially.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I've done I think 3 welkins so far and I just bought my second BP, which considering the time I've spent is waaay less than I've spent on other dumb bullshit before. I will never touch the standalone gem purchases though.

Ytlaya posted:

I spent a while stuck on part of the quest to get the lens (the one that you can use on the glowing fox statues); during the part where you have to make the ghosts move to the same place, it took me forever to find the one on the roof of the building.

That one is mean, I got stuck on that for the longest time too.

Also, what you're allowed to put in your profile is amusingly arbitrary. I tried putting in "We're stupid and we'll die" and it wouldn't let me, so now my profile is just the word 'rear end'

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tanreall posted:

I'm rocking that f2p lyfe, no welkin, no BP, no top ups, Bennett main forever.

So, like completely out of the blue, how much do you like abyss?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've done every BP and all but one Welkin since release. Every top up once, and two more of the max inadvertently whaling on Zhongli for Chongyun constellations. I haven't done top ups since and am probably done, though the upcoming banners are tempting me for the first time in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I bought all welkins and bps since october + 60 bucks on hu tao banner after failing 140 pulls. I've been thinking on stopping with bps for a while but they help too much with mora and xp grind.