Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Diephoon posted:

Quest 2 air circulator coming out soon. Will give a trip report after mine arrives in a couple weeks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099574TKJ

Wouldn't this just dry the poo poo out of your eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That seems very cool (pun intended) assuming you don’t have to listen to a fan whirring away the whole time you play

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Diephoon posted:

Quest 2 air circulator coming out soon. Will give a trip report after mine arrives in a couple weeks.

ayy let us know, if this doesn't suck I would very much be interested in something like this

Nanohahn
Jul 1, 2005

Why, I do believe I spy a president in that there dune.

Broose posted:

I know one is some sort of cable twist tracker that shows a spiral at your feet, but the name escapes me.

Turn Signal?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Diephoon posted:

excited to hear impressions on this!

e: lmao I did not expect to see so many replies to this effect.

For actual content: I am finding it hard to play as well on beat saber quest then I ever did native on PC, and I think it has to be the controllers.

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 30, 2021

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I have never felt like my face specifically was getting too hot while playing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When I start to get motion sick in the headset it makes me sweat which fogs up the glasses and it's a compounding effect. I can't always find a fan to point at me while I'm playing so if this kept me on the cooler side with moving air I think that could help prevent sickness in longer sessions.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've never felt too hot but I've definitely had fogging up from being sweaty

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

When I start to get motion sick in the headset it makes me sweat which fogs up the glasses and it's a compounding effect. I can't always find a fan to point at me while I'm playing so if this kept me on the cooler side with moving air I think that could help prevent sickness in longer sessions.

It's likely more that the moving air tricks your senses a bit and prevents the nausea from happening as your body thinks it is actually moving when it isn't.

The defoggong is a big help though.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dr_Amazing posted:

Yeah my issue is my glasses fog up, even with "anti fog" drops on them. This might be mitigated with prescription headset lenses, but if this fan thing does the trick then it is a cheaper alternative.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zaphod42 posted:

Broomstick locomotion really feels pretty solid. I find this much more comfortable than smooth movement on foot, something about sitting and gently gliding around just works great.

I added speed control (leaning) and auto-braking as you approach obstacles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lLMIsm7bjU

Over the weekend I'll get the pizza delivery and pickup working and then this should be playable. Then I can work on polishing it up and building a cool level.

This makes me really want a VR Magic Carpet game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zsPl4Ampw&t=305s

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You're in luck! The original supports the VFX-1 :v:

Man, that game is still so impressive for 1994, same year that Doom II came out.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Bundlestars Fanatical has a new VR bundle: 89p for one game, £2.59 for 5 and £4.29 for 10. Build Your Own Super VR Bundle

The games are:

Maskmaker
Singularity
Ayahuasca
HoloBall
Gloomy Eyes
Lethal VR
Vetrix
War Remains
Knee Deep
Duckpocalypse
Chained
Visionarium
Vestige
Viking Rage
Battlescar
Emily Wants to Play
Hoops VR

The only one I've seen mentioned here in a good light was Maskmaker which you can pick up by itself for £0.89, or like I dunno 1.20 dollarydoos?

I've not played any of these so if anyone wants to make recommendations please go ahead!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I remember hearing about that "War Remains" experience thing and thought it looked kinda neat at the time.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Anyone tried out these facial interfaces?

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Interfacial-Different-Replacemnets-Support/dp/B08TTVLTWT

https://www.amazon.com/TATACO-Replacement-Protective-Anti-Leakage-Accessories/dp/B08P3JZVTD

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 30, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

Broomstick locomotion really feels pretty solid. I find this much more comfortable than smooth movement on foot, something about sitting and gently gliding around just works great.

I added speed control (leaning) and auto-braking as you approach obstacles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lLMIsm7bjU

Over the weekend I'll get the pizza delivery and pickup working and then this should be playable. Then I can work on polishing it up and building a cool level.

A couple thoughts when i look at this.

It seems like, if the point of the game is flying around tossing deliveries at people or thier homes or whatever, maybe the broom should handle a bit more like a plane where you can't come to a dead stop? This might add some more physicality and skill to the game where you can't just fly to the next point, park, take your time tossing out a pizza, you have to be moving and timing things more.

Also, maybe it would be smoother to have the items being delivered something other than pizza? Pizza is rather large and awkward, whereas if its something not fragile and easy to hold you could just have a pouch on your back or side or whatever with the items so people delivering them can just reach back or down or whatever and toss them with an easy one handed motion.

I don't know exactly how you plan to lay out the game so I don't know if those suggestion apply when looking at the full idea, but they were some things that popped into my head when looking at the videos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If I wanted to make it more challenging that's totally the sort of thing I'd do, but I don't think it needs to be challenging. I'm already having fun just flying around. I like the idea of games with no hard fail state, especially in VR where everything is already a bit of a hassle. If this was a game on a controller it would need to be fundamentally very different, but since its VR... it works.

And I can introduce some soft challenge by just timing how fast you can deliver like 5 pizzas in a row, so if a player wants to push it they can go for delivering the pizzas on the move without stopping for faster time, but then if you don't and you get a bad time its like, eh, no big deal. But if you get a really fast time then you can feel good. Soft-failure! Optional challenge!

Its not going to hold your attention for hours, I don't have the resources to build the kind of game that would. I picture this as being like Crazy Taxi, you sit down, do a few deliveries, run out of time, go "that was fun" and then quit and play something else. Maybe after a few days you go back and deliver a few more pizzas, because the chill feeling of flying is relaxing.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 30, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, you could make it a bite sized fun little game, but have you also considered making it a 100+ hour open world RPG?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can finally live out my Kiki's Delivery dreams!

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
hello, im trying to update my quest 2 to firmware v31 but im stuck on 30.1, it says there are no updates available when checking in settings. i have fully turned the headset on and off several times, is there anything else i can do? it is sidequested, do i need to factory reset it and redo everything or something?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

And my childhood p90mhz days come flying back. drat I loved magic carpet but I never got very far.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Post up if you figure out how to uninstall NiceHash because I’m in the exact same boat as you down to the model of gpu and I don’t see an uninstall option for NiceHash :ohdear:
There should be an uninstaller program in C:\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\Programs\NiceHash Miner, if that's not there or doesn't do it then i'unno.

edit: had a quick half hour of VR after a reboot earlier today with no issues, not certain yet though. I also haven't compared miner open but stopped vs miner closed, for scientificity

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 31, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sea of losers posted:

hello, im trying to update my quest 2 to firmware v31 but im stuck on 30.1, it says there are no updates available when checking in settings. i have fully turned the headset on and off several times, is there anything else i can do? it is sidequested, do i need to factory reset it and redo everything or something?

I'm stuck on v30 as well, no idea why. I wouldn't reset it or anything, it could be they're staggering updates.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

If I wanted to make it more challenging that's totally the sort of thing I'd do, but I don't think it needs to be challenging. I'm already having fun just flying around. I like the idea of games with no hard fail state, especially in VR where everything is already a bit of a hassle. If this was a game on a controller it would need to be fundamentally very different, but since its VR... it works.

And I can introduce some soft challenge by just timing how fast you can deliver like 5 pizzas in a row, so if a player wants to push it they can go for delivering the pizzas on the move without stopping for faster time, but then if you don't and you get a bad time its like, eh, no big deal. But if you get a really fast time then you can feel good. Soft-failure! Optional challenge!

Its not going to hold your attention for hours, I don't have the resources to build the kind of game that would. I picture this as being like Crazy Taxi, you sit down, do a few deliveries, run out of time, go "that was fun" and then quit and play something else. Maybe after a few days you go back and deliver a few more pizzas, because the chill feeling of flying is relaxing.

I think instead of a timer in some cases, maybe precision? Make a combo multiplier for successful pizza tosses in a row, with maybe an accuracy rating from "got it on the lawn" to "its on the porch" to "landed on the Pizza Delivery Round Door Mat Everyone has" and successive hits give more points.

In my mind it has an obnoxious Tont Hawk scoring combo chain on the bottom like "Yardza x2+PORCHZA!+Yardza+BULLSEYEZA!!!" because I'm a sucker for enthusiasm and combo chains :buddy:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm stuck on v30 as well, no idea why. I wouldn't reset it or anything, it could be they're staggering updates.

They roll out updates and features in tyool 2021 when literally everyone who owns a VR headset is extremely online and it just pisses everyone off because the first person to get a feature or firmware posts about it 30 seconds after it happens and everyone is like “where the gently caress is my X!?!?!”

For real though where the gently caress is my 120hz!?!?!

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
i dont want 120hz i just want them to fix the wifi problem :(. its a big deal

sea of losers fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 31, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm playing Surv1v3 with my brothers and we get to a part where you get a rifle. My older brother gets ecstatic over getting an AR 15. Then his PC hard locked

This is the last image seen of him

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Leal posted:

I'm playing Surv1v3 with my brothers and we get to a part where you get a rifle. My older brother gets ecstatic over getting an AR 15. Then his PC hard locked

Is this game good playing with rando's online? I've had a ton of great experiences in pop:1 but stuff like Pablov has been mostly poo poo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is this game good playing with rando's online? I've had a ton of great experiences in pop:1 but stuff like Pablov has been mostly poo poo.

I know I've been having fun with my brothers but I can't really say with randoms. Its got team damage so it can be likely that you'll get some dickhead that will kill you.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Vermillion is pretty cool, but the brushes don't quite work like real ones, and I think the blending on the canvas happens too aggressively (there is a setting and it's already minimized) but the program's pretty cool overall.

I'm no painter but I maked this, it was a chill time
Thanks to Bob Ross in a docked browser window :sun:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 31, 2021

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Index help! Getting code 108 headset not detected, blue front lights. However Windows camera app shows output from the headset stereo cameras, and disabling direct mode shows the extended desktop within the headset. I have tried all the various combos of rebooting, replugging, different ports and reseating the tether. No updates or changes before it happened. Just over 1 year of usage. I will be opening a Steam ticket soon. Symptom of tether cable wearing out?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cowboy Mark posted:

Index help! Getting code 108 headset not detected, blue front lights. However Windows camera app shows output from the headset stereo cameras, and disabling direct mode shows the extended desktop within the headset. I have tried all the various combos of rebooting, replugging, different ports and reseating the tether. No updates or changes before it happened. Just over 1 year of usage. I will be opening a Steam ticket soon. Symptom of tether cable wearing out?

Unhook the cable headset side, and breakaway side. Reconnect, Make sure tight.
Reboot PC.
Swap USB/DP ports.

108 tends to be cable if you have power on everything else. Breakaway and Headset side are trouble points for the cable. Hopefully its just cable. :)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't expect the mention of VR Chat here...
https://www.newsweek.com/louisiana-...N-BDGoBV2vFpNMg

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Eyes Have It posted:

Vermillion is pretty cool, but the brushes don't quite work like real ones, and I think the blending on the canvas happens too aggressively (there is a setting and it's already minimized) but the program's pretty cool overall.

That looks really cool! I may have to pick this one up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m no painter but *shows an amazing looking painting*

I’d say you’re doing ok friend

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

It would be really cool if that had a function so you you could directly take your paintings and hang them in your SteamVR home.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m no painter but *shows an amazing looking painting*

I’d say you’re doing ok friend

Hah, thanks but I think it's about 90% credit to Bob Ross and 10% the fact that I work with my hands so using a brush isn't a totally weird alien thing for me -- without following along with a Bob Ross video (and being able to pause, etc easily) I'd have no idea where to start, or how to mix which colors. No way I'd make something like that from scratch on my own.

Rectus posted:

It would be really cool if that had a function so you you could directly take your paintings and hang them in your SteamVR home.

:aaa: that would be super cool.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 31, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is there a go-to for VR dungeon crawling? Ideally roguelite or randomly generated, but it just feels like a good meaty hack and slash with some random equipment and maybe the occasional perk would blow up, and I haven't seen much in that line.
VR Dungeon Knight is the only one I knew about and that looks like it's been abandoned?

Leal posted:

How is it? I'd heard it was this really in depth and fun freeform zombie shooter with survival elements, but then I saw a video of the Survival mode and it looked like you just wander around empty streets shooting respawning zombies and that's literally the entire game. Like there was a crafting interface that was hard to use and you only have about 3 inventory slots and the range of items is criminally low but you also don't have space for them? 98% of the gameplay was just gray foggy streets and the same four or five zombie models looking to get headshot.
I was considering buying it but after what I saw it feels like I'd get more gameplay depth from just playing Return of the Rotwieners again.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.

sea of losers posted:

i dont want 120hz i just want them to fix the wifi problem :(. its a big deal

same boat. I've got playthroughs of alyx and skyrim on hold since v30 came out because there's just no point trying when you know the wifi's going to poo poo the bed any minute.

even just watching a nature video this morning, I'd just got to the good bit where I was entirely surrounded by a large herd of wildebeest and bam, wifi disconnect, no more wildebeest.

this piecemeal rollout of new versions is shambolic. Just give me my wifi back please oculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Is there a go-to for VR dungeon crawling? Ideally roguelite or randomly generated, but it just feels like a good meaty hack and slash with some random equipment and maybe the occasional perk would blow up, and I haven't seen much in that line.
VR Dungeon Knight is the only one I knew about and that looks like it's been abandoned?

Ancient Dungeon is pretty fun. It's on applab.