Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I also have a shortcut to Task Manager on my desktop.

Or just be like me and auto launch it on startup because otherwise the System Interrupts process uses up 100% of the cpu, but doesn’t if task manager is running for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/07/08/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-65/

There's a lot of small bug fixes, but only one of true importance:

quote:

Taskbar will now show across multiple monitors which can be enabled via Settings > Personalization > Taskbar.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Aside from that, is multi-monitor support any better in 11 so far? Does it still run into dumb scaling issues? Will it move my desktop icons back and forth between displays when switching scaling/primary display? Will my mouse cursor still move unintuitively between different-resolution monitors of the same size?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Will it move my desktop icons back and forth between displays when switching scaling/primary display?

I can't speak for the rest, but this works differently in Windows 11 than it has in the past. It remembers how your windows and icons were arranged on each monitor setup. Not sure what if any limits or quirks exist in the implementation right now, but it works great on both my laptop and my desktop when changing monitor configurations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I heard Windows 11 lets you have multiple desktops on a per monitor basis now (like Spaces) instead of switching all of your monitors. Is that the case?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
does it have something other than win+p for changing multiple monitors on the fly, they probably should rename that as display change instead of presentation

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Celexi posted:

does it have something other than win+p for changing multiple monitors on the fly, they probably should rename that as display change instead of presentation

It is silly that this obscure keyboard shortcut has options that aren't in the control panel. I had to use it to get windows to recognize my second monitor once when none of the control panel and graphics card driver settings would let me use it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
new Win11 insider builds coming out soon. if you joined the Dev channel to get the first build and want to avoid the buggy poo poo that's coming, now would be a good time to go in and change to the Beta channel

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
I've been in the beta channel since 11 was announced, and today I got the prompt to restart, update to 11. I was expecting a long, drawn out, sit at 37% for an uncomfortable amount of time, DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER experience, but nope! It took maybe 5 minutes total. Everything works perfectly fine....so far.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So I was in the beta channel to fix a bug a long while back and today my computer auto installed Windows 11. Kinda goofy that I don't think it ever prompted except saying I needed to reboot for an update.

So far seems about the same and with an ultrawide display I like the centered taskbar. My only problem is that it auto-collapses everything on the taskbar and has no labels. Really hoping they at least add labels.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Half tempted to preemptively update to 11 just because my 10 install seems incapable of updating anymore. I'm getting error code 0x8007000d every time, and none of the tips about fixing it I've seen online work, so maybe I should just jump straight into Windows 11. Is this a terrible idea?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Half tempted to preemptively update to 11 just because my 10 install seems incapable of updating anymore. I'm getting error code 0x8007000d every time, and none of the tips about fixing it I've seen online work, so maybe I should just jump straight into Windows 11. Is this a terrible idea?

Try an in-place upgrade -- get the latest installer and say "upgrade this pc now". It works even if you're on the latest version and you're "upgrading" to the same thing you already have. This is by far the best way to fix w10 issues like those that don't get solved with the normal troubleshooting.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The betas haven't even been the worst Windows betas. There have been some really unstable ones back in the day when you'd have to wait for a CD in the mail with a fix.

But, I'm out :( the first two builds were working fine except that something was causing me to get massive compositor drops in VR, like every 3rd frame, that just do not happen in Win10. I have ideas, and if any of them are right I don't really expect this to get fixed until RTM. Sucks though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

11 is mostly a massive UI change, so there's some unfinished stuff there, but the core OS is basically solid. There's really not been a lot to say about it after the first insider build dropped, it's not quite finished but it's good enough for me to use as a daily driver and not look back. I like it a lot more than 10 already.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do you have a WMR headset? If so, uninstall it and try again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/mr9g45/cumulative_win_10_update_broken_by_wmr_again/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lol I never get tired of "we're building New Tech XYZ directly into the core of windows!" coming back to bite MS in the rear end. Maybe one day they'll learn.

That poo poo has worked for them exactly once, and it was extremely helpful that netscape was tripping over their own dick and making navigator into a hideous bloated groupware abomination.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

lol I never get tired of "we're building New Tech XYZ directly into the core of windows!" coming back to bite MS in the rear end. Maybe one day they'll learn.

They're just come full circle on that with DirectX, back in the DX9 days the runtime was a standalone thing bundled with the game that used it, then it started being integrated more deeply into Windows, then the DX people realised that being beholden to the Windows update cycle sucks actually and they're going back to bundling the runtime with the games

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/announcing-dx12agility/

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I am not an Insider, so I have to wait to get a stable build until official release, yeah?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

fawning deference posted:

I am not an Insider, so I have to wait to get a stable build until official release, yeah?

You can become an insider just by flipping a switch in the settings panel, it's not like some exclusive club.

But beta builds are not what you should be using if you want "stable". Windows 11 doesn't offer anything that will vastly improve your life right now, other than the new UI if you like the looks of that more than 10.

Also running beta / insider builds locks some things out of your control, for example telemetry is locked on. Which might be related to this issue, now that I think about it:

BrainDance posted:

But, I'm out :( the first two builds were working fine except that something was causing me to get massive compositor drops in VR, like every 3rd frame, that just do not happen in Win10. I have ideas, and if any of them are right I don't really expect this to get fixed until RTM. Sucks though.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I was curious about the new UI, but if it's not stable enough to warrant heavy every day usage and reliability I'll just wait. Thanks.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
All I need to know is if it will work on my Phenom II 965.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think the official statement is "no way in hell".

No UEFI, no TPM.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yes, and this actually worked. How on earth did they make it so WMR breaks windows update? Amazing, lmao

Thanks for the fix.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, and this actually worked. How on earth did they make it so WMR breaks windows update? Amazing, lmao

Thanks for the fix.

Glad it worked for you. I had the same issue a few months ago. Definitely frustrating.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bloopsy posted:

All I need to know is if it will work on my Phenom II 965.

KozmoNaut posted:

I think the official statement is "no way in hell".

No UEFI, no TPM.

Apparently the 900 series chipsets have UEFI booting, it's sucky but it's there. SecureBoot & TPM might be avoidable things that you can force your way around.

But I would not recommend it. That's the very first generation of chips with support for 2nd-gen hardware virtualization, which is an absolute requirement for W11. So you might be able to trick W11 into installing on the machine and it would run, but it'll be slow as balls. Stick with W10 until it is EOL, or you get a new PC.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Klyith posted:

Also running beta / insider builds locks some things out of your control, for example telemetry is locked on. Which might be related to this issue, now that I think about it:

Thats actually what I thought has a good chance of being the cause. VR is really sensitive to anything that might add any extra latency to a variety of things (like the longstanding but recently fixed nvidia driver bug that tanked performance with any GPU monitoring tool.) After a while of trying to figure out the cause otherwise I started to think "this is probably something like that, and out of my control" and, a fresh install of Windows 10 fixed it.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Klyith posted:

Apparently the 900 series chipsets have UEFI booting, it's sucky but it's there. SecureBoot & TPM might be avoidable things that you can force your way around.

But I would not recommend it. That's the very first generation of chips with support for 2nd-gen hardware virtualization, which is an absolute requirement for W11. So you might be able to trick W11 into installing on the machine and it would run, but it'll be slow as balls. Stick with W10 until it is EOL, or you get a new PC.

It's not my daily driver so it's not a big deal. I was just curious since prior to the W11 announcement I had never even heard of SecureBoot or TPM.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready/

ASUS is cooking BIOS updates to enable the relevant bits for Windows 11 by default

handy

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

repiv posted:

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready/

ASUS is cooking BIOS updates to enable the relevant bits for Windows 11 by default

handy

I promise to use my powers only for good.

Internet Explorer posted:

The vast majority of motherboard manufacturers and computer manufacturers are going to have 1-click BIOS updates that enable TPM. Don't sweat it.

In the meantime, if you want to turn it on manually, check your mobo manual. It's generally just finding the right switch.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

wasn't there a new feature that let you assign different 'desktops' to different monitors? That would allow some useful differences from a normal multi screen setup. It's hard to google since desktop is such a common word.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FuzzySlippers posted:

wasn't there a new feature that let you assign different 'desktops' to different monitors? That would allow some useful differences from a normal multi screen setup. It's hard to google since desktop is such a common word.

The word you're looking for is 'wallpaper', as in the background image on your desktop, and yes 11 will allow different wallpaper on each virtual desktop.

edit: instructions

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FuzzySlippers posted:

My 8yr old laptop has a TPM chip but I’ve never dealt will a Dell for BIOS. I upgraded from a 2013 to 2021 BIOS, and finding the TPM switch to “On” with no problem. I’ve never seen a BIOS like this, and I don’t understand where an equivalent to “Secure Boot” is located, or if it’s just called something different on Dell’s part because it’s not in the Boot option or Security tab, either.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Klyith posted:

The word you're looking for is 'wallpaper', as in the background image on your desktop, and yes 11 will allow different wallpaper on each virtual desktop.

edit: instructions

Naw I don't care about the wallpapers. I'm talking about the Spaces part where you can arrange everything and even have applications in multiple "Desktops". If I can assign a Desktop to a particular monitor it'd be helpful rather than hit the desktop switch key and it moves all monitors to the new desktop

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 6, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I don't know if this was in before or whether I just noticed it with the latest cumulative update, but the cut/copy/paste options are no longer text buttons in the right click menu, and instead they appear as icons at the top of the context menu :catbert:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

barnold posted:

I don't know if this was in before or whether I just noticed it with the latest cumulative update, but the cut/copy/paste options are no longer text buttons in the right click menu, and instead they appear as icons at the top of the context menu :catbert:
Gross, but on the other hand, if you are not using win (x,c,v) then maybe you deserve big "fisher price" buttons

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have control-C and Control-V mapped to the side buttons of my mouse.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

barnold posted:

I'd love to see them, but I'm currently experiencing a bug where attempting to open the context menu locks up Explorer; if I hover the mouse over the close button, it appears faded and flickery like it's rapidly trying to do something over and over, but isn't able to. It looks fine in Task Manager, so it's just a weird UI bug I guess?

E: Okay, so it's only for one specific file, just a text file that acts as the config for a VR plugin, but it's marked as a .cfg file and has no Windows association, so maybe it's something to do with that? I got it open by just double clicking and selecting Notepad as the associated program, so problem solved I guess. It still locks up the context menu even with a file association though. Very weird.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 17, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Gross, but on the other hand, if you are not using win (x,c,v) then maybe you deserve big "fisher price" buttons

I only noticed it because I was extracting a .zip via the 7-zip commands in the context menu, which are also hidden by default now unless you click "show more". not my favorite change, but then again maybe I'm not so thrilled with most every program I've ever installed adding its own options to the context menu resulting in a panel about as tall as a twin tower. I know there's software that lets you customize the context menu but maybe this will put an end to random garbage right click options

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i have a old xeon 1246 and a h81m-e33. no windows 11 for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

I don't believe that ctrl+alt+del does anything special at the hardware level on modern PCs, where "modern" dates back to the late 90s and the switch from 16 IRQs to APIC. So a long time. (It's not technically wrong to say that ctrl+alt+del generates a hardware interrupt, but does every other key.)

Ctrl+alt+del will sometimes work when other things (ctrl+alt+esc, other shortcuts) fail. The part of the OS that responds to it is very low-level and has max priority. But it doesn't always work. If the OS crashes hard enough, you can slam three finger salutes forever and get nothing. The OS isn't listening to the keyboard anymore, and ctrl+alt+del are just keys.

Personally, ever since the switch to multi-core CPUs, I hardly ever find ctrl-alt-del to be that useful. Back in the 2000s, the fact that it took priority over everything was great because otherwise a runaway program could jam your system. But these days? I have yet to see a process that can be fixed by task manager generate enough load to prevent me from opening task manager in other ways.

The guy that wrote taskmanager back in the day is on youtube and describes how it works. Im not entirely positive but I think it hooks into the Kernel itself with CTRL ALT DEL.
[edit] Dave's Garage