Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

LanceHunter posted:

COVID horseshoe theory: Become enough of a doomer and you will end up making the exact same arguments as the COVID deniers.

Ok. Please stay safe. I'm worried about healthcare worker burnout and system strain is a serious problem impacting us all. I just want my ten year old to be able to go back to school without risking pneumonia which he had as a small kid and has never fully recovered from. Sorry for being hyperbolic about the once in a century pandemic that threatens the health and safety of my family in this, the general bullshit forum.

Edit: literally don't care if the CDC lied or not. I BELIEVE they should have known and would be shocked if someone wasn't ringing alarm bells. I think those alarm bells were ignored. Is that the same as lying? IDGAF actually, it's criminal.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Platystemon posted:

Fellas, is it stalking to have functioning memory of things that happened this week?

Yes. If you remember anything about any posts or posters then you are a vicious and lustful stalker. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

LanceHunter posted:

COVID horseshoe theory: Become enough of a doomer and you will end up making the exact same arguments as the COVID deniers.
Welllllll the conclusion might be the same (the CDC isn't doing a good job), but the reasons for it are completely different, and one side happens to be grounded in fact. You don't even have to be a doomer to recognize that.

Everyone keeps talking about "breakthrough cases," but I'm not sure that's accurate or the whole story. You don't need to be symptomatic to spread Delta, even if you're vaccinated. This is because Delta seems to thrive in the nose and throat, where antibodies in the blood (the kind you get when you're vaccinated in your shoulder muscle) are of less help than they'd otherwise be. Your immune system post-vaccination will do a good job of keeping Delta from going systemic in your body, but it can still hang out in your upper respiratory system where it's less accessible to your immune system.

At the same time, test positivity rates are also way up in lots of places. They're close to 8% where I live, and once you get above 5% or so, you're starting to undercount cases quite a bit.

So long story short, I'm not convinced at all that we know how many asymptomatic spreaders of Delta there are. If the vaccines do a really good job of keeping people from going symptomatic (and it seems they do), there could be a lot! This is why we should not have relaxed masking restrictions with one of the most contagious respiratory viruses we've ever seen going around.

In short, please still get vaccinated, but please don't pretend this poo poo is over and that you can stop wearing a mask either.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Inept posted:

this part was the doomposting fyi

Wait, what? Not it isn't, it's fact. We keep heating up and clogging the planet, we're just going to get more poo poo by virtue of more incubators.

We can handle this if people just get their poo poo togeth-oh god I am.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Everyone keeps talking about "breakthrough cases," but I'm not sure that's accurate or the whole story. You don't need to be symptomatic to spread Delta, even if you're vaccinated. This is because Delta seems to thrive in the nose and throat, where antibodies in the blood (the kind you get when you're vaccinated in your shoulder muscle) are of less help than they'd otherwise be. Your immune system post-vaccination will do a good job of keeping Delta from going systemic in your body, but it can still hang out in your upper respiratory system where it's less accessible to your immune system.

Well it’s based on the Barnstable County outbreak, which was traced and tested, so some asymptomatic cases were caught.

This is somewhat suggestive that of breakthrough cases, symptoms are the norm:

quote:

Overall, 274 (79%) vaccinated patients with breakthrough infection were symptomatic.

with the caveat that

quote:

asymptomatic breakthrough infections might be underrepresented because of detection bias

Further, the nature of the contact is not representative of breakfast at Denny’s.

So who knows? It’s hard to say how many asymptomatic vaccinated carriers are out there or the superspreading potential they pose.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My poo poo state just reported 21,000 new cases today

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
This thread is impressive rn, seriously, no sarcasm. Goons with different takes, opinions, advice, etc. are posting together. It's informative without making the reader suicidal. Gj goons :love:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I went to a farmers market today and out of maybe 1,000 people I saw about 10 wearing masks, including me.

I think I'm going to start staying indoors again. Well, more. I have no life. Covid didn't affect me too much in regards to the social aspect.

This delta variant is starting to scare me more than usual.

I really want you to know that I really hope you come out on the other side of covid with a bright, happy, fulfilling future because you deserve it.

GA posted 3600+ yesterday and it's a state of 10M. It's had 1,179,449 cases out of those 10M.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/31/us/covid-san-francisco-hospital-delta.html

Another large group of breakthrough cases. This time with PPE! Delta is a sneaky little poo poo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Spinz posted:

This thread is impressive rn, seriously, no sarcasm. Goons with different takes, opinions, advice, etc. are posting together. It's informative without making the reader suicidal. Gj goons :love:

Stay safe, Spinz :sun:

Planning to make a "I survived the pandemic" t-shirt (if I make it :ohdear: )

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

liz posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/31/us/covid-san-francisco-hospital-delta.html

Another large group of breakthrough cases. This time with PPE! Delta is a sneaky little poo poo.

Great so now my PPE is worthless.

*throws it in the trash*

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Stay safe, Spinz :sun:

Planning to make a "I survived the pandemic" t-shirt (if I make it :ohdear: )

And also one that says
"Gray Matters"
?
Tho maybe wearing that now would be better

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I propose we change doomer to Doomguy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

I propose we change doomer to Doomguy.
Doomerguy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've been busy and stressed and this is one of the threads I kind of lost track of, but given the news over the last couple weeks I decided to go back to my previous mask-wearing habits despite this being an area with a good vaccination rate and me not doing much dangerous stuff anyway.

The cool thing has been that other people I talk to have independently come to the same conclusion, from my parents to people who are more distant acquaintances, so there are at least some sane people out there.

Edit: And I won't pass up an opportunity to poo poo on the CDC for the mid-week mid-May "unvaccinated people can stop wearing masks!" bullshit.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I was supposed to go to a large outdoor concert today with a friend who bailed because they thought nobody else would be wearing masks (probably true). I am at a punk show of about 200 people in bumblefuck and I am wearing a mask but I don't even think anyone else here owns a mask. I feel good about my choices because I have been fully vaccinated with a mRNA vaccine.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pinecone Sample posted:

I was supposed to go to a large outdoor concert today with a friend who bailed because they thought nobody else would be wearing masks (probably true). I am at a punk show of about 200 people in bumblefuck and I am wearing a mask but I don't even think anyone else here owns a mask. I feel good about my choices because I have been fully vaccinated with a mRNA vaccine.

As long as you feel good I guess that's all that matters.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Zugzwang posted:

Welllllll the conclusion might be the same (the CDC isn't doing a good job), but the reasons for it are completely different, and one side happens to be grounded in fact. You don't even have to be a doomer to recognize that.

At the same time, test positivity rates are also way up in lots of places. They're close to 8% where I live, and once you get above 5% or so, you're starting to undercount cases quite a bit.

So long story short, I'm not convinced at all that we know how many asymptomatic spreaders of Delta there are. If the vaccines do a really good job of keeping people from going symptomatic (and it seems they do), there could be a lot! This is why we should not have relaxed masking restrictions with one of the most contagious respiratory viruses we've ever seen going around.

In short, please still get vaccinated, but please don't pretend this poo poo is over and that you can stop wearing a mask either.

Pretty much, I'm double jabbed and still use a mask and sanitise wherever I go all because of what we know about Delta. Also not a bad time to remind folks that there's a number of preventable comorbidities in those that died of this poo poo, never too late to take better care of ourselves.

e: to add, I think until vaccines improve (I never thought this first round would be the last round fwiw but they're a great start with the mRNA) it's important to be careful since there's plenty of people that cannot be vaccinated and would otherwise take a massive kicking from covid if they caught it. The UK is loving it policy wise, we shouldn't be out of restrictions yet but the one saving grace we do have is high vaccine uptake which is allowing more people to at worst have a "bout of flu" rather than end up in hospital.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 31, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

ted hitler hunter posted:

:yooge: Cheeiyna have been very unfair to goons in Merica.

In retrospect, bioweapon scientist/athlete probably wasn't the best combined MOS.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MarcusSA posted:

Great so now my PPE is worthless.

*throws it in the trash*

You'll just be digging it out of the trash again as soon as we get something that contradicts that article...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Now, for a quick detour into some of the wildest poo poo I've seen in a while...

https://twitter.com/joshua_pieters/status/1421464141697540099?s=20

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think I'm going to start staying indoors again. Well, more. I have no life. Covid didn't affect me too much in regards to the social aspect.

This delta variant is starting to scare me more than usual.

I feel guilty admitting this out loud but with being a shut in that avoids crowds and works from home, covid has been great. Getting so many personal projects done around home that I never would gotten even started on before thanks to my lovely commute eating up so much of every day. Sucks for the people getting sick, disabled from long covid, and the dying ones of course.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Yes of course

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sacrifices had to be made.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Now, for a quick detour into some of the wildest poo poo I've seen in a while...

https://twitter.com/joshua_pieters/status/1421464141697540099?s=20

There’s TWO evil Piers in the UK? Sheesh guys

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pinecone Sample posted:

Tuggin' at home feels pretty good too and you don't need a mask for that at all, FYI

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I stayed at home and watched Jungle Cruise and made the Leo Dicaprio pointing at the screen "I got that reference" about a thousand times. It's good for theme park idiots like me and it was a lot of fun.

Oh, and otherwise I hid because it was 118F heat index.

If nothing else, I hope we don't lose these first-run movie streaming things when covid is actually controlled/over/a joke because of a miracle treatment/whatever.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

There’s TWO evil Piers in the UK? Sheesh guys

Corbyn was the last person I'd expect to succumb to bribery

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

This won't convince any hardcore antivaxxers* but maybe someone on the fence will change their mind:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2021/08/01/stats-guy-astrazeneca-vaccine/

* then again... what will?

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Goddamn.

IF THE VACCINES DIDN'T WORK, ALL 60000 PEOPLE AT PARTY TOWN WOULD HAVE GOTTEN COVID!

Look at the goddamn percentages! How many breakthrough infections at that event? 1%? 2%? How many deaths? ZERO

THAT'S EXACTLY IN LINE WITH THE TRIAL DATA!

Holy poo poo folks. The sky isn't falling.

Yes, we need to protect kids that can't be vaccinated yet. Get vaxxed and wear a mask indoors. Your vaccine loving works as advertised.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

JeffLeonard posted:

Goddamn.

IF THE VACCINES DIDN'T WORK, ALL 60000 PEOPLE AT PARTY TOWN WOULD HAVE GOTTEN COVID!

Look at the goddamn percentages! How many breakthrough infections at that event? 1%? 2%? How many deaths? ZERO

THAT'S EXACTLY IN LINE WITH THE TRIAL DATA!

Holy poo poo folks. The sky isn't falling.

Yes, we need to protect kids that can't be vaccinated yet. Get vaxxed and wear a mask indoors. Your vaccine loving works as advertised.

oh sure it works for a few months then the implanted nano-cyanide capsule activates and the great reset is upon us

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

This won't convince any hardcore antivaxxers* but maybe someone on the fence will change their mind:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2021/08/01/stats-guy-astrazeneca-vaccine/

The best way to convince hesitant people that the vaccine works is to actually behave as though your vaccine works, live your life, and do dope poo poo

mania
Sep 9, 2004
So fun poo poo from Singapore
- one of the kids at school has gotten covid.

The good news for the school is that the kid has been in quarantine for the last two weeks (as their relatives had tested positive for covid) and they didn’t have any symptoms when they were last at school, so the school’s kids should hopefully be okay.

The kinda worrying news to me is that it took so long before it showed up in the kid. The kid tested positive only on the quarantine exit swab test. We already know that the delta variant can take longer before it shows up and if the kid had managed to clear the test and turn up back in school this week and infectious, well poo poo.

I don’t really have a good answer to the above beyond extending the quarantine period to three weeks, but at the same time i get why people are reluctant to do so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Schools and businesses need to require vaccination, and then only the hardest core anti-vaxxers will still insist on licking rats. There are already scads of requirements for different jobs, schools already have vaccination requirements - it's not like this is a new thing. It's just because of the propagandized right-wing it's as big an issue as it is.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

OPEN THEM BEACHES UP BOYS!!!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

The best way to convince hesitant people that the vaccine works is to actually behave as though your vaccine works, live your life, and do dope poo poo

and then if you end up being one of the breakthroughs that ends up hospitalized or dead, hey, you proved the anti-vaxxers "right".

We topped 101,000 new cases yesterday for the first time in quite some time, which makes me wonder if it was still that bad and they stopped testing vaccinated people or if delta is just such a gently caress that it's doing this. I'm assuming it's a combination of both.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drat this guy’s so antivaxx.

quote:

If you have a vial of Pfizer and one of AstraZeneca in front of you and both are available in unlimited quantity in the country, pick Pfizer.

quote:

Should you just wait until Pfizer (or later Moderna) will be available to you? This depends on your own propensity to take risks, how much you care for the health of others, how much you want to stop lockdowns, how much you want your right to travel back, how much you want to help the economy.

j/k

I know that Australia is in a unique position right now, but there was a time not that long ago when one couldn’t have said the above without getting a new redtext and a QCS thread.

I’m glad they’ve everyone’s come around we can talk about the science openly now.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I stayed at home and watched Jungle Cruise and made the Leo Dicaprio pointing at the screen "I got that reference" about a thousand times. It's good for theme park idiots like me and it was a lot of fun.

Oh, and otherwise I hid because it was 118F heat index.

If nothing else, I hope we don't lose these first-run movie streaming things when covid is actually controlled/over/a joke because of a miracle treatment/whatever.

do you have a livejournal ?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

OPEN THEM BEACHES UP BOYS!!!!!

I can't speak for other parts of the state, but basically all of the hospitals in the Orlando metro and surrounding are full. It's going to get bad because I can't imagine we are that far into this wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

Wow look at those people behaving exactly like we have this entire time!

¿?????¿¿?????

Let's get vaccinated too bros.