Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Mailer posted:

So, like completely out of the blue, how much do you like abyss?

I like the abyss. I've been clearing with 36 stars for 5 months now.

Edit: I do wish they would change it up a bit more with terrain and objectives. Just swapping in new mobs isn't great.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ninjoatse.cx posted:

As a heads up to the newer people in this thread. If you play coop, the censor is completely insane, and the most inane combinations or letters are censored.

Ytlaya posted:

I like how a word like "butter" becomes "****er"

Yeah, the word filter is super aggressive and even extends to parts other than the chat as well. Like I have the shrines on my map marked with pins, and when I open them I edit the text on the pin to say that I've opened them. But the word "opened" is censored and if you try to write it on the pin it just says "contains forbidden characters", so i had to spell it "opend". I also remember seeing the word "mommy" censored once during the hide-and-seek event. It's completely bonkers.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Honestly wish we could all come clean on how much we've spent on the waifu/husubando game.

Most but not all bp and welkins, and dropped $50 on ganyu.

Was real stupid to do that without guaranteed pity but I got lucky.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I'm also planning to go hard on the Yoimiya banner, which I haven't done since Xiao. I like Yoimiya a lot and Anemo claymore was one of the first combos I wanted in game, adding healer is a cherry on top.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jeepers, I just met the perpetual robutt. Guess it's gonna be a while until I can ascend Ayaka.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Honestly wish we could all come clean on how much we've spent on the waifu/husubando game.

You phrased it like people were being cagey about it. No one asked beforehand.

Anyway, I'll say it, I don't have to show my bank statements to people or anything so I don't care about sharing. I was f2p for 3 months and then I started buying the welkin and battlepass every month January this year and then I bought a 30$ genesis crystal pack because I wanted to be optimistic and hope I got Klee before the banner disappeared and she didn't show up for another 14 months. Somehow I won the 50/50 and got her too. I have 8 5* characters, Eula being the most recent release, I haven't gone past Zhongli as far as Liyue and beyond 5*s count.

So, 145$ ish? Which is about two brand new video games and an XL pizza.

Ytlaya posted:

I finally gained access to the big underground area with the final teleport statue. That whole cave system is pretty neat.

I spent a while stuck on part of the quest to get the lens (the one that you can use on the glowing fox statues); during the part where you have to make the ghosts move to the same place, it took me forever to find the one on the roof of the building.

Inazuma as it is right now is pretty big and probably has a similar amount of content overall to Liyue (just because it's a lot more dense). It'll be neat once they open up the rest of it.

Garrand posted:

That one is mean, I got stuck on that for the longest time too.

That quest tripped me up for the longest time because I thought I had to get them all to go to the big fox statue that you initially see Kazari at from the beginning of the quest chain.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 31, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Been playing since launch, Welkin every month, BP every period (expensive option a couple of times), every Crystal pack at least once.

All told, probably about $5-600 total.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I'm entirely free to play as well. Only recently got my first 5 star weapon off the standard banner and I've been playing since close to launch.
They don't really have any offers in the shop that I would consider good. Maybe I'll buy a costume one day if they ever make a nice one, but they also seem way too expensive. Even so, might as well give them money at some point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Basically Welkin and 1 BP, definitely got more than 60 bucks worth of entertainment.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I thought the load limit on the teapot seemed weirdly low, but it just turns out placing four companions outside weighs the same as something like a hundred inanimate objects. That seems kinda dumb, but at least I could just stuff them in the house.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Anora posted:

if you level her to 70 you get 3 rolls.

well okay fine.

im really glad i managed to not roll ayaka.

Oh money chat? BP and Welkin rolling for however long and all the things, like $200? Err guess its more than that, $250ish.

kater fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 1, 2021

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I spent a while stuck on part of the quest to get the lens (the one that you can use on the glowing fox statues); during the part where you have to make the ghosts move to the same place, it took me forever to find the one on the roof of the building.

Same here man. I broke down and had to use a guide to figure out she was on the roof.

In terms of spending on this game I have managed to spend only $5 a month on the Welkin. If it matters I really don't like the Abyss. I find it frustrating.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Electro aura in first chamber of Abyss Floor 12. Electro character main dps units are indeed hindered compared to other units from getting you the full 36* for this abyss.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think the abyss rotations being a gacha lure is pretty hogwash. They might lean towards making your new shiny person be more fun but thats some steps away from treating it like a money sink.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There are people that legit wish for honkai's ladder system because how else can you flaunt your c6 characters

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Havent regreted buying a Welkin whenever I can, I treat it like paying a sub for some MMO which I was used to when I constantly played them

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think I've spent around $50 total two accounts for the Welkin. I didn't get to high enough levels to justify the BP.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Every welkin and bp since release and I feel pretty good about it. I have paid way more for shittier games that I didn't get a fraction as much playtime or enjoyment as Genshin gives me.

I am open to buying Genesis crystals but honestly haven't felt the need. If they run any limited discounts for anniversary or something though, I'll probably pay for them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Every welkin and bp since release and I feel pretty good about it. I have paid way more for shittier games that I didn't get a fraction as much playtime or enjoyment as Genshin gives me.

You shouldn't need to if costumes are the only thing, since Welkin gives some per buy.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'll be honest I probably have a lot fewer five-star crap if they were putting out any good games for the PlayStation 5 the past year.

frajaq posted:

Havent regreted buying a Welkin whenever I can, I treat it like paying a sub for some MMO which I was used to when I constantly played them

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

More farming of the new artifact domain hasn't gotten me much of anywhere on gearing up Mona but it did finally get me a random Geo% goblet to thrust on Albedo. Seeing 10~11k crits on Solar Isotoma procs. :hellyeah:

Edit: Also this is with his E only at level 7 because I've been lazy. So I still got places to go with my favorite boy.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Oh yeah PSA to never spend the genesis crystals from Welkin because costumes cost those specific space bucks.

Deep regrets on blowing them every time before the costumes were released. I guess I should have known something would have come along that's cash only.

Now release a samurai Beidou skin you cowards.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Just an addendum to someone's comment on swimming in Stardust. If you are free-to-play, you barely have enough Stardust to buy out both Fates every month. There is no swimming to be had, but it is entirely possible to still buy out both every month as long as you don't horde too many primos saving for your waifu/husbando/attack helicopter.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I'll spend when they release the Bennett skin of him in a full body cast and he just does a pivot walk to get around.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xPNuAWQAPDa05a/giphy.gif

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm very mad about the Maguu Kenki, specifically that they designed a boss who can backflip out of his arena and reset the entire encounter. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

dogsicle posted:

love to collect mushroom spores and then mihoyo tells me to gently caress off when i pick up a philanemo

How do you collect seeds and spores? I've been picking up plants in the world, but only getting plants, no seeds at all.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SlimGoodbody posted:

How do you collect seeds and spores? I've been picking up plants in the world, but only getting plants, no seeds at all.
Apparently you'll get a quest at reputation rank 3 in Inazuma.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

33 stars in this abyss, a new record for me, literally 4 seconds combined from getting 35.

Abyss still sucks rear end, through.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 1, 2021

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

No Wave posted:

Apparently you'll get a quest at reputation rank 3 in Inazuma.

This quest also confers a gadget that must be equipped to gather seeds from a given plant: https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Seed_Dispensary

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Welkin and BP starting from 1.0; I was technically F2P until I hit the rank where you can do BP at all, at which point I decided I liked the game enough to slot it into my gaming expenses. I figure this puts me comfortably at Dolphin rank as opposed to Whale.

This has worked out fairly well; I have mostly ignored the weapon banner (minus some pretty incredible luck with the most recent one) and it has provided me with resources to grab characters from each patch as I go. I'll never have a C6 or the ability to blow cash on a specific weapon without getting pretty lucky, but getting a nice spread of characters gives me the opportunity to play around a lot with different comps, which is half the enjoyment I get out of the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The weapons are more than good enough in this game, honestly. Like the best gacha weapon that's irreplaceable is like Sac weapons but that's about it and you can luck into them from the free blue tickets.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

On the note of sea creature rankings and having a large roster, I do admit I also appreciate having a lot of opportunities for party comps from having so many people around.

Incidentally I currently own 100% of the Cryo & Hydro rosters, which is neat. :v:

No there's no way to sort the character archive purely by rarity, those random 4*s just break up the sorting because of release order and it drives me bananas.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Money talk: Enough to be a solid dolphin, not enough to be a whale. Monthly welkin and regular BPs are a given as I play pretty much daily. Considered streaming, even, but dunno if ppl would be interested in "suboptimal" women only play.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Money talk: Enough to be a solid dolphin, not enough to be a whale. Monthly welkin and regular BPs are a given as I play pretty much daily. Considered streaming, even, but dunno if ppl would be interested in "suboptimal" women only play.

there will always be a market for under-appreciated waifus on the internet

on a related topic, suboptimal play is generally much more interesting to watch. I was following the saga of a dude playing that open world-ish Dragon Ball game from a few years ago, and his gimmick was "Pure Namek." He made a Namekian fighter and would only equip abilities and gear that would make sense for a Namekian, so mostly just from quests and NPCs on Namek. It was fun to watch because it had a solid theme to build a narrative around, and he had to work harder for everything. when he lucked into a really good ability from a Namek mission, it was a huge deal, since he "couldn't" use any of the powers he'd lucked into from other missions.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 1, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

On the note of sea creature rankings and having a large roster, I do admit I also appreciate having a lot of opportunities for party comps from having so many people around.

Incidentally I currently own 100% of the Cryo & Hydro rosters, which is neat. :v:

No there's no way to sort the character archive purely by rarity, those random 4*s just break up the sorting because of release order and it drives me bananas.

Best you can do is sort by what you own and take two screenshots so we can see what you have and what you're missing.

Not my account

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Genshin is my first gacha game. How long do these usually get supported? Can it make enough money that they would introduce new characters until the end of time?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Genshin is my first gacha game. How long do these usually get supported? Can it make enough money that they would introduce new characters until the end of time?

Puzzle and Dragons is still going strong after 9 years, Honkai Impact (Mihoyo's other game) is going on 5 years.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

iirc they've already talked about a 5 year plan for this one, so that's the minimum i'd expect

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

hiddenriverninja posted:

There's a not a super deep history here, but games that make money the Genshin has don't shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

hiddenriverninja posted:

Genshin's made over $1 billion. Until whales stop whaling, they'll keep extracting money from them.