Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

There's multiple situations all being conflated.

A) You live abroad and generally eat local food but want a burger today. No problems here.
B) You're a tourist and want to see what weird poo poo McDonald's has in this country. Sure, I've done this too.
C) You're a tourist and just eat burgers instead of local food. I am judging you harshly.

Ding ding ding. I was talking about A) here before.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I live in the inaka so if I travel to a big city grabbing a real burger is one of the first things I think about tbh.

Also this is definitely a real feeling too. If you’ve been surrounded by 100% local stuff, than even seeing something lovely from home is reassuring or at least more novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Martytoof posted:

I went to McDonalds just to try the shrimp burger patty or whatever it was and when I was done I was like — it was good but it was very McDonalds and I didn’t bother trying anything else “exotic” there or any other chain I had at home. I guess I still kind of want to try KFC to see if its any different but I’ll feel very stupid if it’s not.

Crawling out of lurking to encourage you to pass on KFC. The main difference I noted was they punch loving holes through the biscuits for some godforsaken reason. I haven’t had KFC in forever so I’m not the best person to give a proper comparison, but I can tell you it was not good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good enough for me! It wasn’t on my itinerary before and now it definitely won’t be :haw:

I’m not in love with north american KFC anyway.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think people who live in japan and dont eat raw horumon every week are basically barbarians who are wasting a great opportunity

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
KFC at Christmas is a definite exception, if only for the novelty.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My standards are low. Everything is pretty good everywhere.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Also just eat what you want whether it's super expensive local delicacies or a mixture of McDonalds (their chicken burger with teriyaki sauce is great and I can't get that one back home) and convenience store snacks. Anyone who gives a poo poo what you eat while on holiday isn't worth worrying about.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
7-Eleven tamago sando with some fried chicken and a strong zero is just as Japanese as like soba and green tea imo.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

i think people who live in japan and dont eat raw horumon every week are basically barbarians who are wasting a great opportunity

Call me crazy but I think we're beyond eating intestines at this point

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

There's multiple situations all being conflated.

A) You live abroad and generally eat local food but want a burger today. No problems here.
B) You're a tourist and want to see what weird poo poo McDonald's has in this country. Sure, I've done this too.
C) You're a tourist and just eat burgers instead of local food. I am judging you harshly.

My first real meal in Japan was a BigMac meal at a McDonalds in Sapporo because I too intimidated to order from any of the other restaurants in the area. You should judge me for this.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

AHH F/UGH posted:

What do you mean beyond? I still don't see it regularly on menus in the west so we definitely haven't even gotten there yet, much less "beyond".

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

totalnewbie posted:

What do you mean beyond? I still don't see it regularly on menus in the west so we definitely haven't even gotten there yet, much less "beyond".

Every true red-white-and-blue-blooded American restaurant will be glad to server you scrapple and chitlins, I tell you hwat.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Pegnose Pete posted:

7-Eleven tamago sando with some fried chicken and a strong zero is just as Japanese as like soba and green tea imo.

Hell yeah.

I ate so much konbini meals because for riding food it's really good and they make for perfect rest stops when taking a break from being in the saddle for a couple hours. It's one of the main things I miss since convenience store food here is trash in comparison. I only went to actual restaurants a couple times on riding days but it was really awkward whenever it turned out to be a nice place and I was all kitted up in spandex bike gear. I saved the sit-down restaurants for rest periods when I could be dressed in normal clothes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Am I still allowed to eat Tempura without scorn if I was born in the Antipodes

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

Am I still allowed to eat Tempura without scorn if I was born in the Antipodes

no youre only allowed to eat natto, red beans, and curry bread. the three japanese foods.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I wonder what I should I eat after I complete my two weeks of quarantine.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

pig uteruses, and no

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I've always wondered if Chitterlings are any good.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Does anyone know how detailed I need to be in itemizing for customs declaration? For example, one of the boxes I'm shipping consists entirely of clothing (especially my winter clothing). Do I just need to put 'clothing' on the form and then just provide the number of individual articles and spitball the value? Another box will contain miscellaneous items such as bicycle parts/tools, so is that where I need to be a lot more specific for each individual item or could I get away with labeling it all as 'bicycle parts and tools' and again just provide the number of individual articles and overall value?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Shibawanko posted:

pig uteruses, and no

ah yes kobukuro.
I remember first leaeninf kanji and trying to read an izakaya menu like "pig....child....bag?? No it couldn't be..."

I asked the owner "Hey what part of the big is this?" and he got uncomfortable like "Uhh well uhh lemme ask my wife."

She politely told me what it was and we lost our minds.
I like to imagine her answer was something like "Well when a mommy pig and daddy pig love each other very much..."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

paperwind posted:

Does anyone know how detailed I need to be in itemizing for customs declaration?

Is this into Japan or out of Japan, and where to? Apparently the U.S. has gotten much stricter on the labeling. I used to get away with “gifts” or something similar, but now they’re making me itemize how many and rough per-unit cost. Coming into Japan I’m not sure they care as much.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

harperdc posted:

Is this into Japan or out of Japan, and where to? Apparently the U.S. has gotten much stricter on the labeling. I used to get away with “gifts” or something similar, but now they’re making me itemize how many and rough per-unit cost. Coming into Japan I’m not sure they care as much.

I'll be moving into Japan sometime this month via Haneda or Narita. Visa gods willing (I'm in processing purgatory right now).

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

paperwind posted:

I'll be moving into Japan sometime this month via Haneda or Narita. Visa gods willing (I'm in processing purgatory right now).

Wait, visa or COE? The visa shouldn't take more than a few days. If COE, you really shouldn't set a date until you've got it in your hands.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

skull wall posted:

Wait, visa or COE? The visa shouldn't take more than a few days. If COE, you really shouldn't set a date until you've got it in your hands.

Well, I have the visa now so it's all moot. For reference it took 23 days.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Goongrats

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Anyone ever gone to see sumo? I'm pretty into watching it lately but I'm wondering if it's cool in person

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

Anyone ever gone to see sumo? I'm pretty into watching it lately but I'm wondering if it's cool in person

I have! But because it was a semi-organized JET thing (one of the regional reps handled getting tickets from the Sumo Association) I haven’t had to fight for tickets, and went with a big group I knew. We sat up in the fixed chairs and not in one of those boxes, but it’s still close enough you can really tell what’s happening.

I haven’t been in Tokyo but it’s something I definitely want to get to as well. Sumo Hall is nice enough (I’ve been for pro wrestling) and the Sumo Hall exit at Ryogoku Station is really done up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Stringent posted:

iunno, if you're a tourist from the us or aus and eating burgers in japan you wasted airfare imo

I dunno, I'm glad I went to Mos Burger.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I ate here once and it was p good.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/I...MTkxVm5OUlJSQUI

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sumo is cool and good. I've sat in cheap seats and tatami box seats and so can you!!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

peanut posted:

Sumo is cool and good. I've sat in cheap seats and tatami box seats and so can you!!!

This the goon forum. 1/2 the guys here could do sumo.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went to the May tournament in 2019 and it was a lot of fun but I also really care about, and follow sumo regularly. I probably wouldn’t take someone who had never seen Sumo before, but if you watch it on the reg then it’s worth the effort to get a seat IMO. At least you know what to expect, and it may be different enough from what you see in the 30min highlights to make you say “oh cool”. There’s a LOT of time between bouts so be prepared for that, especially if you plan to arrive and watch a bunch of matches throughout the day instead of just showing up for Juryo/Makuuchi.

You can also leave and re-enter once on your ticket (at least you could when I saw it) so you can go watch the baby wrestlers and if it really sucks and you don’t care then just leave, do a bunch of stuff and come back at like 2pm for the good stuff.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 15, 2021

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

This the goon forum. 1/2 the guys here could do sumo.

One of my coworkers was a former pro sumo and it takes a lot more than fatness to succeed! Goons could not endure the extreme sempai/kohai caste system.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

One of my coworkers was a former pro sumo and it takes a lot more than fatness to succeed! Goons could not endure the extreme sempai/kohai caste system.

Most of those guys can do the splits, which is a challenge for anyone who hasn't trained up, including the standard issue North American fattie.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow, was Google smartphone interpretation a thing like 5 years ago? I know it's not perfect and probably a bit dogshit still, but since I haven't needed to really use any of my Japanese since 2015 I feel like it's gonna come in handy until I can remember poo poo again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was able to have google translate conversations in 2017. No idea how bad it is, but it's certainly good enough to get by and talk with the drunk salaryman at the izakaya.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
My own Japanese pronunciation is still apparently "good" enough, because it seems to actually recognize what I'm saying if I speak Japanese at it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can the translate app even pick up on voiceless sounds?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It tells me my japanese is very 御上手

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’ve actually never used Google translate before but it picked up everything I said in Japanese perfectly just now, pretty good