Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, that sounds like GM.
Or, really, also Ford. Ask me about my EGR valve module that has to be replaced if any of the three separate parts that make it up fail, instead of just that part. Or better still, wait for it to happen to you, STR. Protip - replace with the Motorcraft/Ford part. The aftermarket ones are worse.

Well that sounds lovely.

Luckily I'm not throwing any codes (yet), and all of the readiness monitors are showing ready, so I don't think there's anything majorly wrong. Still trying to figure out why my mileage is garbage (maybe my 3 mile commute? I know the thing is just barely going into closed loop when I get to work), but there's no longer any fuel smell, and the fuel pressure is where it should be now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elmnt80 posted:

The rust flowers are coming in beautifully this year.

6 year old pontoon trailer at work, its been in storage for at least 4 years and the lug nuts are pulling this poo poo, just what the christ. I've never seen lugs do that before.

Salt water will gently caress your poo poo up.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Elmnt80 posted:

6 year old pontoon trailer at work, its been in storage for at least 4 years and the lug nuts are pulling this poo poo, just what the christ. I've never seen lugs do that before.

I've been working on boats in the salt water for years and years, I have NEVER seen lug nuts get this bad.
Sure, i've seen rusty garbage, but holy poo poo, this is a finely curated piece of art.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That has to be galvanically driven right? There's no way you could get that otherwise unless it was stored on an ocean pier or something.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Elmnt80 posted:

Reminds me of hexagons in nature

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d be afraid to push that trailer around with the lugs that bad, let alone tow it with a boat on board.

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment
Look like castellated nuts....great for trapping moisture

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Well that sounds lovely.

Luckily I'm not throwing any codes (yet), and all of the readiness monitors are showing ready, so I don't think there's anything majorly wrong. Still trying to figure out why my mileage is garbage (maybe my 3 mile commute? I know the thing is just barely going into closed loop when I get to work), but there's no longer any fuel smell, and the fuel pressure is where it should be now.

It's not all that bad - I'm pretty sure mine was original when I bought it 3-4 years ago. It was bad and throwing a code at that time. The aftermarket one took a year or two to fail, and I was able to combine the electronics from the original with the mechanical from the aftermarket, and crutch along another year or so, after which time I bought a Motorcraft, and so far, so good.
The gas cap has stopped clicking not, though, so I'm not sure I'm able to get it tight enough. It's thrown the code indicating a loose gas cap at least once since I discovered that.

Elmnt80 posted:

Those rust flowers are beautiful and horrifying.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

wontondestruction posted:

Look like castellated nuts....great for trapping moisture

This.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

"Alfa Romeos look good no matter what they're doing"
https://twitter.com/yuyafubukit75/status/1420962373125296132?s=19

insta
Jan 28, 2009

STR posted:

Well that sounds lovely.

dude ride a loving bike to work

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

3 mile commute isn't very great for your vehicle.. like you said it's barely getting into closed loop and is going to be a lot more hungry while you drive that 7 mins. Maybe drive it the long way to work or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Only ever taking short trips is bad for your car. Like others said, ride a bike instead or take a longer route.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

insta posted:

I’m going to guess that you do not, and never have lived in Texas, much less Austin.

Cojawfee posted:

Only ever taking short trips is bad for your car. Like others said, ride a bike instead or take a longer route.

You either.

Counterpoint: gently caress that poo poo with a flaming razordick, unless you have a fetish for sweat and heat exhaustion, and enjoy multiple attempts at vehicular homicide directed at you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've lived in San Antonio which is close enough. If you are going to drive anyway, then you get what you get in regards to gas mileage. Your car's estimated gas mileage wasn't meant to represent trips of less than a few miles. Your car burns more fuel while warming up and then, once it is warmed up and starts using a normal amount of gas, your trip is over and you shut it off. That's just how it's going to be unless you want to experiment with idling your car in your driveway until it runs normally and then driving to work and see if that uses less gas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I rode a bike three miles to work every single day for two years in Arizona.

You wear light clothes and a helmet with a visor and you carry a lot of water. It's fine

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

I rode a bike three miles to work every single day for two years in Arizona.

You wear light clothes and a helmet with a visor and you carry a lot of water. It's fine

I biked only for a year in Austin, it was pretty easy but did almost get run over a few times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I biked only for a year in Austin, it was pretty easy but did almost get run over a few times.

Post/username combo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The biking to work thing is great but doesn't work if you have to wear a suit and don't have a place to clean up and change at the office. I mean I guess you could make it work if you lived in Oxford or something, but it's not tenable in the American Southwest.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Boss: "hey the new cylinder head arrived can you clean it up and get going on that job?"

Tech: "....No"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How does that even happen? :psyduck:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Split mold looks like it shifted. Surprised something like that got out the door.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I'm the horrible failure. I lived a quarter mile away from work and drove to work. I also drove a couple hundred miles every other weekend so maybe that balances out

I just noticed my car has a rust flower too :unsmith:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Boss: "hey the new cylinder head arrived can you clean it up and get going on that job?"

Tech: "....No"

God, the more I look at it, the more I see. Mismatched/shifted core, gouged mating surface, cross threaded or stripped threads, possible inclusions

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

um excuse me posted:

Split mold looks like it shifted. Surprised something like that got out the door.

I guess I don't know what manufacturer it is, but quality control/fucks given is pretty low at gm Ford and Chrysler. So could easily be one of them.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Darchangel posted:

I’m going to guess that you do not, and never have lived in Texas, much less Austin.

You either.

Counterpoint: gently caress that poo poo with a flaming razordick, unless you have a fetish for sweat and heat exhaustion, and enjoy multiple attempts at vehicular homicide directed at you.

Lol I live in Austin and rode a bike as my sole transportation for like 5 years.

That being said 3 miles is completely fine for your vehicle. It’s not like you just get in and drive directly to your destination. For instance it’s a 4 mile commute to my old office and coming home took and hour.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah it feels bad to get nine miles per gallon or whatever, but if you’re only going six miles per day, it’s only really a problem if it’s destroying your vehicle, right?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Saw this, thought of this thread. The venerable GDCS in its natural state.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was fixated on the brake pad warning.

“That’s not the fuel gauge.” :stonk:

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I guess I don't know what manufacturer it is, but quality control/fucks given is pretty low at gm Ford and Chrysler. So could easily be one of them.

Probably a Hyundai theta engine given the theta logo on it. If so then built at the plant in Alabama which has a history of making garbage engines.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Platystemon posted:

Jack Handey posted:

Don't get your speedometer confused with your clock, like I did once, because the faster you go the later you think you are.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

Brake pad warning?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah, I took that light to mean the parking brake was on, but I’ve heard of it also being used as a pad wear light or that the fluid was low

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

namlosh posted:

Yeah, I took that light to mean the parking brake was on, but I’ve heard of it also being used as a pad wear light or that the fluid was low

That circle with the dashed quarter circle arcs to the left and right is the standard warning light for pad wear sensors. It’s separate from the “BRAKE” light.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

insta posted:

55 mph highway (where everybody does 70-80) once I'm off my street (which is 45), with no lighting, bike lane, or shoulder, and I go in at 10pm, leave around 6am. No thank you, I'm not suicidal.

If I lived inside of Austin, where they believe in bike lanes, I'd consider it. I'm in a suburb that has about 10 miles of bike lane in the entire city.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 1, 2021

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Space Gopher posted:

That circle with the dashed quarter circle arcs to the left and right is the standard warning light for pad wear sensors. It’s separate from the “BRAKE” light.

Omg, I can’t believe I didn’t see that. Or realize what it was… learned something today thx

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

namlosh posted:

Omg, I can’t believe I didn’t see that. Or realize what it was… learned something today thx

In the hopes of preventing user generated content:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Aug 1, 2021

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

lol if you think anyone actually reads that
they never do

Elmnt80 posted:

If you hadn't left a description, I would have assumed that was wood. :whoptc:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like the rear spoiler warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Those are great! Thx for posting. Funny enough, I had just got back from a trip with a rented Hyundai Santa Fe with the active cruise and lane following and all that. Nice car to rent for a road trip.

Anyway, it had some new lights on the dash fort the cruise that I didn’t know until trying it, some of which are included on that sheet. The “keep the distance from the car in front of you” indicators were pretty good after realizing what they were saying:
A car representing your car and 1-4 dots representing the distance you’ve set as the preferred following distance. Then another light for the car in front, unlit when no car is seen at all, dimly lit when there’s a car but it’s outside the range to follow, and the car turns solidly lit when the systems actively matching speed with it.

Pretty cool stuff, thx again