Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

BGrifter posted:

It took some tinkering to get it to run right. Lots of annoying tearing and issues around full screen vs windowed when I started. But once you get it set up just right the game runs buttery smooth with integrated graphics on anything in the i3/i5 era. It probably runs great on Core2Duos but I don’t own any of those.

Hell, I even installed it on my old Lenovo x120e netbook with an AMD e350 and that was entirely playable for a secondary box before I even turned down the graphics settings. The e350 gets a passmark score of 401.

I found this guide helpful for tinkering with settings:

https://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/boxing/PopularEQIssues/ReduceYourLag/

Next I need to figure out a budget multi monitor setup. :3:

I have access to a killer 6 monitor tree, but I use a large curved screen as my primary, and after that there's just no room. I have run multiple accounts on this windowed, and just put one in each corner, but that won't work here. I think I'm going to operate just a second account and can attach the micro pc to the back of a 24' display and keep it off to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Floob posted:

I have access to a killer 6 monitor tree, but I use a large curved screen as my primary, and after that there's just no room. I have run multiple accounts on this windowed, and just put one in each corner, but that won't work here. I think I'm going to operate just a second account and can attach the micro pc to the back of a 24' display and keep it off to the side.

Nice. I’m thinking I’ll keep it simple, three budget displays somewhere in that 21-24” range. Shouldn’t be too hard to find a cheap 1080p display considering there’s no need to go above a 60hz refresh rate for EQ. I’ll wait for Dell or somebody to have a sale and buy three of the same thing to replace my current janky setup.

It’s funny but for me the hardware has become a significant part of the joy of EQ. I haven’t owned a gaming PC in over a decade, but it’s fun to pull apart a $100 desktop and tinker. I’m really impressed with how well Windows 10 runs on low end hardware.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

BGrifter posted:

Nice. I’m thinking I’ll keep it simple, three budget displays somewhere in that 21-24” range. Shouldn’t be too hard to find a cheap 1080p display considering there’s no need to go above a 60hz refresh rate for EQ. I’ll wait for Dell or somebody to have a sale and buy three of the same thing to replace my current janky setup.

It’s funny but for me the hardware has become a significant part of the joy of EQ. I haven’t owned a gaming PC in over a decade, but it’s fun to pull apart a $100 desktop and tinker. I’m really impressed with how well Windows 10 runs on low end hardware.

The first system I put Windows 10 on when it first launched was an old netbook with an atom processor and 1 GB of ram. It ran very well. Everquest would be a great use case for some of the old 4:3 aspect displays I tossed out over the years... This is why I keep things LOL

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Floob posted:

What are you all doing for multiboxing? Any app or scripts you can recommend? It's driving me crazy seeing players with druid's auto-following them everywhere while I'm trying to find a group with them :) Rather than complain about kids on my lawn, I figure I better just get with it and do it myself. I have access to several lifetime memberships, so I'll probably just create a druid on one of them and maybe a cleric and enchanter on the other accounts.

Just read the progression server rules about automation. Just have a character in tow? or do you just say the hell with the rules? Curious what folks are doing.
I triple box with three computers: one workstation and two sff pcs. Primary system has full keyboard and mouse (shared across other systems with Multiplicity in seamless mode). On the other boxes I have monitors, numpads for basic button/macro mashing and backup mice. Zero automation aside from basic macros.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So not ready to commit to paying for a subscription just yet, but was wondering what class would be best to roll on a normal server to just do a nostalgia tour?

Currently thinking of monk, beast lord or shadow knight. Guess I should also mention that I would like to avoid boxing if at all possible.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Zil posted:

So not ready to commit to paying for a subscription just yet, but was wondering what class would be best to roll on a normal server to just do a nostalgia tour?

Currently thinking of monk, beast lord or shadow knight. Guess I should also mention that I would like to avoid boxing if at all possible.

One of us! One of us!

I’ll let someone who knows more about Live answer that one, but welcome to the thread Zil. If you roll on Luclin I can mail you a bit of plat to get you started. I had someone give me some plat there when I gave EQ a nostalgia spin a year or more ago.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Zil posted:

SK is the best at soloing old content, with monk close behind. Then the other hybrids. If accounts still have free heroic characters, an 85 SK can easily faceroll PoP era content.

An SK with their 2.0 epic is a untouchable god in content more than 4 or 5 expansions behind their level, except when raid mechanics start adding things like death touches and complicated scripts.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Any lower level goons rolling around on Mischief? I’ve been playing a shaman and having an absolute blast reliving the past without the associated grind of P99. I’ve made some good contacts just from leveling groups but hoping to have a guild to chill in or something too.

Currently rolling a 26 Shaman named Zooz if anyone wants to group up and kill poo poo in the future, feel free to hit me up.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i haven't actually tried p99 does it actually take like. multiple days of grind per level or whatever is classic

cuz i remember it being slow as balls

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It’s significantly slower than Mischief (my first TLP), but it does have the appeal that if I had the essentially infinite time and energy like I did back in the day for EQ I’d be all in and probably down on the exclusive butthole raiding scene.

But I’m in my 30’s and much chiller than I was then so this is perfect. If someone tried to call me at 3am to contest a raid mob now I’d just laugh myself back to sleep.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 28, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah on some weird level I’m glad p1999 exists, even if I don’t really want to play it.

Mischief is doing an insanely good job of scratching that nostalgia itch. I’m getting really excited for Velious in a few weeks.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Zil posted:

The first character I ever created was back at the launch of Kunark in what? 2000? Whenever I feel nostalgic and just want to go see the earier zones, or content I loved when leveling up, I always jump on that Druid. You can teleport to those destinations, but that addition of PoP made that less important. You can track, and if you just want to have some fun, your bear pet is level 35 and can wreck places like Befallen lol. You don't know how many times I have killed Nillipus in Rivervale even recently, or gone to lesser fay to camp brownies there. Run through the Commons looking for Kizdian Gix or the Hill Giant. A Druid is a wonderful class for touring. Bards work that way as well, but I still love being able to teleport.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
If you are having to look at the ground in congested areas, make sure to configure cpu affinity to -1 in your eq client.ini file. My 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro does fine even back in nexus etc.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

rally posted:

If you are having to look at the ground in congested areas, make sure to configure cpu affinity to -1 in your eq client.ini file. My 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro does fine even back in nexus etc.

You know, I completely forgot about that setting. I'll give that a try, thank you. Yeah even my laptop should be fine. It's got a dedicated graphics card that's not actually too bad at other games.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Quite A Tool posted:

Any lower level goons rolling around on Mischief? I’ve been playing a shaman and having an absolute blast reliving the past without the associated grind of P99. I’ve made some good contacts just from leveling groups but hoping to have a guild to chill in or something too.

Currently rolling a 26 Shaman named Zooz if anyone wants to group up and kill poo poo in the future, feel free to hit me up.

I'm on mischief playing a necro named Smiley - currently about to be level 49. I putz around with groups late at night EST or duo kite stuff with my brother who is playing a druid (currently level 41). Feel free to hit me up if you want to group up or something as you level up.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
How are bards for a solo class if someone didn’t want to box?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Ort posted:

Without mercenaries and without a solid tank to help, I don't like them. I play a bard when I want to explore and mess around, but as a solo class, and actually surviving alone they just don't have all the tools they need in my opinion. I'm sure it's possible, but Bard is like the definition of a support class.

At low levels they can be fun as you get buffed with a good damage shield and then just run around rounding up mobs with Discordant Note, but the kiting you hear about at high levels is just dreadfully long. I've seen bards kiting the same things for over a half an hour before abandoning the pull to a zone line. Yeah people do it, but I just don't think it's worth it personally.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Indecisive posted:

i haven't actually tried p99 does it actually take like. multiple days of grind per level or whatever is classic

cuz i remember it being slow as balls

If you are in a good xp group it will generally be about 3 hours per level (hell levels notwithstanding) until you get to 50++. You can speed up the process to 50 with power leveling, naturally, especially 1-~20.

Things slow way, way down at 54+. The struggle is with zem modifiers you are really only looking at the hole as “very good” xp but even then you might be looking at 10-20 hours per level.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

schwein11 posted:

I'm on mischief playing a necro named Smiley - currently about to be level 49. I putz around with groups late at night EST or duo kite stuff with my brother who is playing a druid (currently level 41). Feel free to hit me up if you want to group up or something as you level up.

My primary two are a 25 Necro - Floob, and 19 Druid - Sayin. The Druid is rapidly becoming the one I go to when I want to work on leveling, and I'm currently in Unrest. I used the Necro during the bonus week to generate platinum killing Rohetep over and over in North Ro.

I have a full outfit of others created and played my Enchanter a little last night, and my little bard is level 3 now I think :) I spent some real money on the Druid and picked up a full set of Nathsar armor and Golden Efreeti boots, and some adequate jewelry, and everyone else just wears the stuff I got from Rohetep. I also find myself collecting J boots now that the price is down on those.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ort posted:

In classical eras, they're fine. They can fear kite, charm kite, they regen fairly quickly with heal song. They're not bad at stealing camps with Denons.

This probably falls off a bit at the high end of velious and into Luclin. Work way better with a friend, regardless, though.

E: but definitely worse than mage, enc, necro, shaman, druid.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

DisgracelandUSA posted:

In classical eras, they're fine. They can fear kite, charm kite, they regen fairly quickly with heal song. They're not bad at stealing camps with Denons.

This probably falls off a bit at the high end of velious and into Luclin. Work way better with a friend, regardless, though.

E: but definitely worse than mage, enc, necro, shaman, druid.

This was also nerfed to hell years ago, and even on the progression servers, it's not like it used to be. Not even close. To be fair, Bards were everywhere back then, and would kite entire zone populations, so they had to do something.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Floob posted:

This was also nerfed to hell years ago, and even on the progression servers, it's not like it used to be. Not even close. To be fair, Bards were everywhere back then, and would kite entire zone populations, so they had to do something.

I didn't mention swarm kiting. Are charm, fear and snare nerfed?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I didn't mention swarm kiting. Are charm, fear and snare nerfed?

No, I suppose not, but I did read something about dots doing less damage when a mob is moving, but I don't see any difference these days. I have tried it for science :)

Maybe it's just up to your playstyle. But it breaks down like this.

Want to Fear kite? Play a Necro
Want to Snare Kite? Play a Druid
Want to Charm? Play an Enchanter

Want to do all of those things and be more able to do everything but not as well? Yeah, you can play a Bard. But you will be working your rear end off while doing it, and far more ineffective at it.

I think it's commonly agreed that Bards are not the best solo class, and that is what's being asked here.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Floob posted:

No, I suppose not, but I did read something about dots doing less damage when a mob is moving, but I don't see any difference these days. I have tried it for science :)

Maybe it's just up to your playstyle. But it breaks down like this.

Want to Fear kite? Play a Necro
Want to Snare Kite? Play a Druid
Want to Charm? Play an Enchanter

Want to do all of those things and be more able to do everything but not as well? Yeah, you can play a Bard. But you will be working your rear end off while doing it, and far more ineffective at it.

I think it's commonly agreed that Bards are not the best solo class, and that is what's being asked here.

And what if you don't like to kite? My reaction time is not where it was, nor my attention span. So would like to just face tank things while I solo. I love dungeon crawling.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Zil posted:

And what if you don't like to kite? My reaction time is not where it was, nor my attention span. So would like to just face tank things while I solo. I love dungeon crawling.

And this is why I almost always recommend a Necro for soloing. I like to have chill dungeon crawls as well, and nothing beats feign death when you didn't pay attention enough and hosed up. Monk is ok as well due to that, but not as good a solo class as a Necro when it comes to survivability.

A Bard is a lot of work, and the experience can be great if you're into that.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Zil posted:

Sounds like a pet class or tank with a healer merc might be more what you’re looking for?

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Ort posted:

The group bonuses make solo experience terribly slow. It might be better with mercenaries on live, but it's torture for TLPs.

Most classes can solo for the first few expansions, but it's never going to be fast. Your friends/guild will out level you. Pretty sure this plays into the Luclin/PoP TLP dropouts.

Playing a single character is fine, but you'll need groups for best results. Main bards commonly do a lot more than /melody so they're usually good group additions.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Arae posted:

The group bonuses make solo experience terribly slow. It might be better with mercenaries on live, but it's torture for TLPs.

This is what I find annoying. I'm all for group boosts, but it's way out balanced right now on the TLP's. If I have an hour to play it's not even worth it solo. I ran around with my Enchanter last night and it took me an hour to go from 2-3. In a group I would have gotten to 5 or 6 in that same time. So it's funning watching the newbie channel "Level 3 Wizard LFG" When we are so used to just soloing those levels fast on live.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
I've played a bard on mangler from classic to the current expansion. Which is tbs as of today.

I can definitely solo using some combo of dirge and boastful bellow. Also 75 level bards do pretty legit dps. Like there are four bards on top fifteen or twenty of parse all the time. The top ten usually has our guilds top two bards.

Also melody makes a bards life way easier. Just make a hot key and let it rip.

Also bards run super fast and in planes of power bards get faded memories which is sort of bard feign death. Insta click drop aggro and invis.

I am pro bard. Just a fun and unique class. Lots of different skills and things you can do. Slow, mezz, charm, lull, dot, melee etc. Bards are often the pullers in a group especially once they get fade but usually before then. Many raids bards are excellent pullers as well.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Doctor Party posted:

I've played a bard on mangler from classic to the current expansion. Which is tbs as of today.

I can definitely solo using some combo of dirge and boastful bellow. Also 75 level bards do pretty legit dps. Like there are four bards on top fifteen or twenty of parse all the time. The top ten usually has our guilds top two bards.

Also melody makes a bards life way easier. Just make a hot key and let it rip.

Also bards run super fast and in planes of power bards get faded memories which is sort of bard feign death. Insta click drop aggro and invis.

I am pro bard. Just a fun and unique class. Lots of different skills and things you can do. Slow, mezz, charm, lull, dot, melee etc. Bards are often the pullers in a group especially once they get fade but usually before then. Many raids bards are excellent pullers as well.

And this is why I should keep my pie hole shut when someone asks about a class I haven't played in years :) Thank you for this wisdom! I had no idea about /melody and have now done some studying. This does help a great deal. If there's one thing I never enjoyed doing, it was song weaving. I used to swap out instruments, and manually hit the spell slots... Because of that, I rarely did combat with the true potential a Bard has. Melody should help a great deal.

Starting out as a Bard again myself has been tough. Your first few levels contain some of the most lack luster songs... The first heal song isn't until level 6. I found a Druid to buff me up so I could make that initial push last night. Now at level 7 with my first haste buff, grouping should be easier. I'll check out Crushbone tonight and see how this works out. setting up a two melodies one for buffs and one for fighting should be something I can swap between easily. What instrument do you tend to carry the most? I was going with stringed for the damage song I have, but I actually have a decent percussion as well. Really hate swapping them out.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
To be clear, bards can do okay dps but you won't really parse amazingly well until TSS(?) when Bellow starts critting for 45k.

Main bards are super rare on TLPs, most just stand around as melody bots and maining a bard is a great way to stand out and have lots of friends.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

suuma posted:

To be clear, bards can do okay dps but you won't really parse amazingly well until TSS(?) when Bellow starts critting for 45k.

Main bards are super rare on TLPs, most just stand around as melody bots and maining a bard is a great way to stand out and have lots of friends.

Yeah bellow hits normally for 15k and crits for 45k. It's a weird single target aa. You hit it and it lands for around 2400 initially and can crit then also for like 7200 I think. Then about 18 seconds later it hits for 15k or 45 if it crits. So its useful on long fights. In groups if you're pulling single mobs and killing fast then you'll really never use it. If you can pull two at a time and bellow on the second mob that isn't being attacked then by the time you get to it it will 17-50k less hit points. So yeah bard dps is very dependent on bellow.

Also dirge is now limited to only five mobs. That's an ae direct damage spell. It does around 6500 and crits for 17k or so in tss tbs Era. But it's only five mobs. So a bard that's really paying attention on raid can do really well. But can't just hit auto attack.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So for a solo nostalgia tour, would it be wiser to play on test for it's exp bonus? Or should I play on FV so I can buy any gear I might need?

Sorry have been out of the loop so long and trying to catch up with all the changes.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Zil posted:

So for a solo nostalgia tour, would it be wiser to play on test for it's exp bonus? Or should I play on FV so I can buy any gear I might need?

Sorry have been out of the loop so long and trying to catch up with all the changes.

Buy your gear on FV and then transfer to test for the best of both worlds.

There used to be someone who you could pay some plat and they would copy you with all the raid gear and twink gear you need.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Malt posted:

Buy your gear on FV and then transfer to test for the best of both worlds.

There used to be someone who you could pay some plat and they would copy you with all the raid gear and twink gear you need.

Was this a goon doing this or just someone I need to ask about in game?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Zil posted:

Was this a goon doing this or just someone I need to ask about in game?

Ask in game. It was someone in FnF if they are still around, but this was quite a while back.

Found this, which might be what we used? Seems like prices have gone up.

https://darkwatercopy.weebly.com/

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
You can also make friends on test and lots are nice and willing to help. Plat on test is worthless and a lot of people have decent tradable they can make infinite copies of. If you want to drop some cash you could sell one krono on FV for about 5 mil and then test copy a bunch of characters with the cash and have essentially infinite plat.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Spent most of the day getting the client set up, UI arranged, and leveled up to about 7 before I logged off. Probably would have gotten higher, but I kept falling down rabbit holes of old EQ lore. Would look up a command or something and find myself hour and a half later reading some comments on a random item on Alla. Though it was kind of sad to see all the deleted account comments and the fact that all class boards no longer exist, overall was just a pure nostalgia trip today.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Zil posted:

Though it was kind of sad to see all the deleted account comments and the fact that all class boards no longer exist, overall was just a pure nostalgia trip today.

The best of them still lives though!
https://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Oh man I loved the Safehouse forums back in the day. Sadly The Druids Grove shut down and only has an incomplete archive of their forums.

http://thedruidsgrove.org