Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

InventorOfTrees posted:

what about games that ask a lot out of you and usually give you absolutely nothing?

Isn't that a Tamagotchi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

InventorOfTrees posted:

what about games that ask a lot out of you and usually give you absolutely nothing?

Might be a case where you have to find the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge yourself, as opposed to being told how great you are with a 3-star score directly.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man did someone poo poo in your cereal this morning or something

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thread has been loving awful lately lmfao.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I too love having a second job that I don't get paid for.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Might be a case where you have to find the satisfaction of overcoming a challenge yourself, as opposed to being told how great you are with a 3-star score directly.

i'm not even terribly upset about the state of the game and i'm finding your posting since league launch totally insufferable, hth

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Here's a gameplay showcase and progression guide for early red maps with my build, for those that are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_KaXJyqfVk

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

thread has been loving awful lately lmfao.

People are posting instead of playing because league has been loving awful too lol

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
a fun consequence of the flask changes had caused forbidden taste to jump up from being a good utility flask to being the best defensive flask in the game. if you manage to instill 'use when savage hit' on it and can maintain high chaos resist it becomes CWDT in a flask.

i think in theory it might function like leech as well and prevent death from larger hits because it occurs in the same frame as you taking the hit.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
what is your problem blue dog guy geez

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

what is your problem blue dog guy geez

Fun havers killed his family.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FZeroRacer posted:

a fun consequence of the flask changes had caused forbidden taste to jump up from being a good utility flask to being the best defensive flask in the game. if you manage to instill 'use when savage hit' on it and can maintain high chaos resist it becomes CWDT in a flask.

i think in theory it might function like leech as well and prevent death from larger hits because it occurs in the same frame as you taking the hit.

Get a Chemist's Amethyst flask too with 'use when savage hit' and you won't even have to get all your chaos res from gear.
edit: wait nevermind that combo can still break unless you're somehow able to keep both flasks full, simply because they can't perfectly match charges.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 1, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McFrugal posted:

Get a Chemist's Amethyst flask too with 'use when savage hit' and you won't even have to get all your chaos res from gear.
edit: wait nevermind that combo can still break unless you're somehow able to keep both flasks full, simply because they can't perfectly match charges.

just take charge generation on the tree

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I'll get the footsteps challenge but that's it. no way i learn 100 new mechanics i will only see once per 100 hours.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In yellow maps, and I'm still hanging in there but I'll admit it's feeling rough. Nothing good or useful drops, all my necessary upgrades are so far out of reach they feel impossible, and pretty much the only reason I'm sticking with my current build (aside from sheer bloody-mindedness) is because all my usual go-to builds are the sorts of things that this patch went out of its way to stomp flat and the builds that people consistently talk up as good (totems, traps, minions) are ones whose playstyles I don't care for.

Oh and logbooks aren't real WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

e. Maybe I'll try out Enki's new and improved Arc Witch

docbeard fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 1, 2021

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

pretty badass of you to be playing path of exile without even reading the wiki

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I got a logbook today. I bricked it but got 8 pure chaos out of it + other stuff. Haggler also sold me an ex at discount. Good game.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

qnqnx posted:

Does anyone even remember that mobile version of PoE that was shown at Exilecon?

I’m not much of a phone game guy but the version I played at exilecon was really fun. Looking forward to release.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What happens to your phone if you open a delirium mirror. Explosion or implosion?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Your phone has a ton of them. You should check them out.
path of exile is slightly less desperate for my paycheque.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

pretty badass of you to be playing path of exile without even reading the wiki

Taking a break from trite sarcastic posting here, this is worth digging into --

The entire gaming landscape is full of games that include approachable, easy to consume designs. They have mass appeal, they sell reliably, and they aren't risking anything, business or otherwise. I like to poke fun at phone games for this, and while it's partially a result of the platform having a substandard interface for something more complex, it's also something that the industry has just focused on as the early success in the mobile space where simple, immediately appealing games that didn't ask much out of the player. To be super clear, this is all totally fine. Monetization is another story, but the idea of a game that is approachable by design is great.

While approachable games are great for the business, they have to make sacrifices creatively. If you have a strong creative vision, a love for insane systems, and give no fucks about the business, you end up with Dwarf Fortress. If you are business focused, you forgo a vision and instead make decisions that are informed by consumer trends, and the word 'business intelligence' might come up a lot in design discussions. Most games these days are at least 'business informed', and PoE is no different, but how 'business informed' you choose to be is going to depend on your goals as a business, and as a creative team. Unfortunately, they frequently oppose each other.

As games became increasingly mainstream, complexity has had a smaller and smaller footprint on the design of the games we see. It's bad business to have complexity in your game, and some studios and instructors will even say, 'complexity is undesired'. The go-to way to add depth to a game is to include real time elements. A game like Valorant isn't complex, and it's systems don't have that many moving parts on paper, but to execute in real time against those systems is where challenge comes to play. What has diminished a great deal in the space though are games where system complexity IS the way for players to express mastery over the game.

This was the stuff of yesteryear for the most part - Roguelikes and sims embraced this in the 80s and 90s, but it waned a lot as we get into the late 00s, as selling Nethack or even the Maxis games against a budget of many millions of dollars wasn't real (and it wasn't going to be a billion dollar hit so...) Even games like Diablo 2, which were moderately complex - but way simpler than several of it's contemporaries - was simplified and 'sanded down' for it's sequel. It was way easier to understand how to progress your character and where throughput was sourced in D3. This was, and still is the trend today.

Games as a majority have become so focused on mass appeal that they've taken fewer and fewer risks in design, and have sanded off more complexity, because while complexity is a great way to find depth, it also breeds discontent among players who don't want to engage and is therefore Bad For Business™. PoE is extremely unique in that it's a game with a strong vision holder who has built this platform of hugely complex systems on top of each other that demands so much out of the player. Importantly, it has a dev team that can wield these complex systems competently. By all accounts, this is a Bad Business Decision™ to preserve the integrity of that vision, but even as they announce PoE 2, there seems to be a willingness to lean into it more.

If you are me -- If you are someone who just wants a game where someone is willing to crank the knob of system complexity as high as it can go in the name of providing a foundation for player expression through these systems -- then you will find the number of games that successfully does this is vanishingly small. I could probably count them on one hand, and as I write this, I can think of two in some kind of active development. Games like these made by a competent and well-funded team at this scale are also impossible to find. Even in the ARPG space, most games trend to simplicity and refuse to approach the kind of complexity PoE puts on display.

When I get annoyed about hearing people who don't understand the systems complain about systems tuning, what I'm really doing here is asking to just have my one game. In the endless pool of games, just let me have one where the depth in the systems is so high, that after spending thousands of hours in this world, I *still* don't know the best builds, the best strategies, or even all the rules. From my point of view, that is so exciting - to know that the community collectively doesn't know what the best build is, or that a new discovery could be made that changes the way I think about a certain problem set. I love it when a new patch comes down that messes up everything - it's like a Rubik's cube has been scrambled and the task is to try and resolve it with new rules.

So yes - Let me just have my one game where there is an expectation that you read the wiki to understand it. 99% of games do not ask that much out of you, but every game does not need to be for everyone. I sincerely hope that PoE never reaches the point where it's for everyone.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

tldr

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

every other game 2ez. let poe be 5head.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Holy gently caress dude

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ok neon

there's really no particular added depth to the game this patch over last patch, it just takes longer and the rng of making gear you need is now an order of magnitude or more worse because you have to fit substantially more affixes in. the game is just slower, not more 5head

hth

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

something about taking abreak i think. wishing 'em goon speed!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You're making me feel embarrassed over every effort post I've ever written, like giving me a sense of self-awareness and discomfort in the idea they all read like this.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's really no particular added depth to the game this patch over last patch, it just takes longer and the rng of making gear you need is now an order of magnitude or more worse because you have to fit substantially more affixes in. the game is just slower, not more 5head

hth

Everything I like is good design and adds depth, everything I don't like is bad and gently caress Chris.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

So what, exactly, about a flask nerf, an overall gem nerf (which has since been mostly rolled back), and buffing act 1 is "complexity" and/or "creative freedom"? And do you really think there's only a few games that require an open wiki on another screen or an alt-tab away? Do you just not play games from the last decade that aren't on your phone?

I genuinely hope for your sake that you're trolling but I genuinely hope for the sake of myself and everyone else that you're honestly building towards the incredible meltdown it looks like you are.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Unfortunately for being a wiki game, the wiki is (for me) almost unusable now. They should probably bring the wiki in house.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
the wiki is a key resource but im not sure it should be inhouse, i cannot imagine trying to navigate exactly how much of the game should be transparent and to what degree

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

So yes - Let me just have my one game where there is an expectation that you read the wiki to understand it. 99% of games do not ask that much out of you, but every game does not need to be for everyone. I sincerely hope that PoE never reaches the point where it's for everyone.

ah yes, poe's famously accurate and reliable wiki surely is what helps players understand its systems.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

If you are me -- If you are someone who just wants a game where someone is willing to crank the knob of system complexity as high as it can go in the name of providing a foundation for player expression through these systems -- then you will find the number of games that successfully does this is vanishingly small. I could probably count them on one hand, and as I write this, I can think of two in some kind of active development. Games like these made by a competent and well-funded team at this scale are also impossible to find. Even in the ARPG space, most games trend to simplicity and refuse to approach the kind of complexity PoE puts on display.

When I get annoyed about hearing people who don't understand the systems complain about systems tuning, what I'm really doing here is asking to just have my one game. In the endless pool of games, just let me have one where the depth in the systems is so high, that after spending thousands of hours in this world, I *still* don't know the best builds, the best strategies, or even all the rules. From my point of view, that is so exciting - to know that the community collectively doesn't know what the best build is, or that a new discovery could be made that changes the way I think about a certain problem set. I love it when a new patch comes down that messes up everything - it's like a Rubik's cube has been scrambled and the task is to try and resolve it with new rules.
if you think this is path of exile you haven't been paying attention, every outcome from the 'balance changes' was figured out by the community spelled out in this thread and anyone who didn't grasp it were calling them doomsayers. you're conflating systems obtuseness with complexity, and at no point have a concept of fun or respecting a player's time.

why are you annoyed when people spell out the impact of systems tuning and grasp the underlying systems? you have your own game currently going by the activity in the thread, but that doesn't mean the rest of the playerbase didn't understand the bespoke changes and they're the fools for not digging deeper for there must be a gem of a build for the true genius and game appreciator to find

honest question here, how long have you put into this league and where are your characters at compared to prior leagues? are you having more fun, and how much of each part of your builds were something new?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

play dwarf fortress, best game ever made.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I made a cleave character, I embrace the bad league lifestyle

Gotta play something until the mega brain geniuses decifer the game for me and deign to share their good builds

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

In yellow maps, and I'm still hanging in there but I'll admit it's feeling rough. Nothing good or useful drops, all my necessary upgrades are so far out of reach they feel impossible, and pretty much the only reason I'm sticking with my current build (aside from sheer bloody-mindedness) is because all my usual go-to builds are the sorts of things that this patch went out of its way to stomp flat and the builds that people consistently talk up as good (totems, traps, minions) are ones whose playstyles I don't care for.

Oh and logbooks aren't real WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

e. Maybe I'll try out Enki's new and improved Arc Witch

Yeah, I hit the same point in mapping as well, where it just becomes virtually impossible to progress without either doing a massive amount of grinding or getting absurdly lucky. Nerfing Harvest and Aisling really killed the options for endgame gear progression.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this was my leveling temple lmfoa.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That's a juicy one exile

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Lpzie posted:

play dwarf fortress, best game ever made.

if you could access the building stuff in adventure mode i'd never sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did they ever introduce a full mouse interface for DF