Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Gaius Marius posted:

I realized I meant Lufia, but now I feel Obliged to finish Grandia one at least

I hope remastered Grandia, the original has this nasty bug where certain spells need level 99 in the corresponding element to learn, and the last time I had the patience for that I was still a dumb teenager with a lot of free time to burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's just the one spell thankfully and turns out it isn't even that good

And as just said 1 is so easy even if it was good it'd be entirely pointless lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

And unless the remaster has been patched since, it still has a terrible upscaling smoothing filter built into the sprites so it looks absolutely awful, IIRC.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The glitched spell in Grandia 1 is bad. Like its got the nichest of possible uses but in any scenario where you're using it something has gone so horrifically wrong for how easy Grandia is you've made a real mistake.

I did find it amusing Grandia 1's optional hard mode dungeon closes well before the end of the game so if you want to do that content you gotta do it way earlier than you might expect and while by end game you'd trounce it it is a bit of a challenge when you can do it.

Commander Keene posted:

And unless the remaster has been patched since, it still has a terrible upscaling smoothing filter built into the sprites so it looks absolutely awful, IIRC.

They have since patched it to remove the few original sprites and animation frames that slipped through and replace them with the smoothed ones.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the grandia remaster is the perfect example of how sometimes you should just. let people decide if they want the game to look like a low rex pixelly psx game.

or hell a saturn game... you might as well play the saturn version with the patch that imports the psx tl cause the tl itself is competent and the saturn version is a bit nicer looking than the original

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
wow wow wow being kicked back to a save point due to dying on the platforming in the middle of this multi encounter ravannavar (second) fight in indivisible loving sucks poo poo!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relin posted:

wow wow wow being kicked back to a save point due to dying on the platforming in the middle of this multi encounter ravannavar (second) fight in indivisible loving sucks poo poo!

Oh buddy my pal my friend wait for the final battle

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Barudak posted:

They have since patched it to remove the few original sprites and animation frames that slipped through and replace them with the smoothed ones.
Oh yeah, didn't the remaster have stuff like sprites where half the sprite was smoothed and the other half wasn't at launch? Really the laziest possible remaster. Just putting up the PSX version in an emulator would probably be better than what they did there.

Relin posted:

I skipped out on Indivisible after playing the demo because it was extremely not for me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Colonel posted:

the grandia remaster is the perfect example of how sometimes you should just. let people decide if they want the game to look like a low rex pixelly psx game.

or hell a saturn game... you might as well play the saturn version with the patch that imports the psx tl cause the tl itself is competent and the saturn version is a bit nicer looking than the original
Square Enix almost learned that lesson with the Chrono Trigger port. Then the Pixel Remasters came out and while I don't think the sprites in those look bad, I do kinda prefer the originals. They're miles better than the mobile ports that were on Steam before though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Oh yeah, didn't the remaster have stuff like sprites where half the sprite was smoothed and the other half wasn't at launch? Really the laziest possible remaster. Just putting up the PSX version in an emulator would probably be better than what they did there.

I have probably a dozen photos on my switch of these mistakes. A lot are kind of goofy in between animations where one frame is missing but two are just amusingly glaring.

1 is a boss comprised of two sprites where one is smoothed and one isn't so they look extra ugly
The other is literally just flat out sue's sleeping sprite. You know a thing used throughout the game in long unchanging shots and is glaringly obvious instantly

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
gonna have to cheatengine infinite health here, this is loving stupid

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
apropos of nothing wasn't the Grandia port the one which had the German localization which translated "miss" (as in, the opposite of "hit") as 'Fraulein"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I actually asked that myself, it was actually Grandia 2. Which is even worse when you think about it, lol, cause by 2000 you really expect better

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relin posted:

gonna have to cheatengine infinite health here, this is loving stupid

Im curious how that works because iirc that does a % of your health.

Theres some game I played years ago where I did this and that exact scenario happened to me and I definitely wasn't pissed as all hell no sir.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

I actually asked that myself, it was actually Grandia 2. Which is even worse when you think about it, lol, cause by 2000 you really expect better

It's even worse: The old localization didn't have this error. It was brand new for the remasters

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

Barudak posted:

Im curious how that works because iirc that does a % of your health.

Theres some game I played years ago where I did this and that exact scenario happened to me and I definitely wasn't pissed as all hell no sir.

as always complaining did the trick because my last normal attempt was successful

i did look up cheat tables though and infinite hp is very buggy, as expected of an unfinished game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats. Your reward is doing that dungeon 2(3?) more times.

Also this will sound insane but if you start exploring in that dungeon and you stop seeing red shards stop progressing. Its got some very tricky platforming that is just dead ends unless you've triggered the companion sidequest.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

lol in indivisible they never removed yan (the cobra lady's) sound and animation for teaching you something. apparently you learn her move later from another npc (but they left the breakable wall for the move in the room her cage was in)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm at a point in NEO Twewy where it feels like fights take a lot longer than they should. Might be because I'm not eating enough to raise my attack, but eating is so expensive and takes so long to get hungry again, especially in contrast to the original game where you'd just eat a chili dog for a few hundred yen, fight a few battles, and be good to go.

That or I'm not using an optimal pin setup but dang it I've got pins to master.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

ok i beat indivisible. the platforming in the base/top of the mountain should have been significantly shortened but wasnt as bad as people said. definitely worth playing though, especially for valkyrie profile fans

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I feel like the thing that i actually really appreciate about VP is the writing and unique storytelling, not the combat and platforming. And the part everyone chooses to crib is of course the gameplay.

Not to say VP isn't fun to play, because it is, but i don't think I've ever seen another game do what they did writing-wise which is a huge shame.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fantasian's second half releases on iOS this Friday. The game is not incredible (I actually think it's the most generic of Mistwalker's portfolio) but it's perfectly playable and I still love the hand-crafted aesthetic of it.

monster hunter stories was also added to apple arcade but Capcom was too lazy to change anything about it so it has no controller support lol

e: reading on Fantasian's second half:

quote:

Part 2 of Fantasian is, per the studio's announcement, more "quest-driven" than its very story-heavy first half. Mistwalker expects it to take players between 40 to 60 hours to fully experience, with Part 2 being approximately double the size of the first half. New features include the ability to swap party members in and out of battle and an expanded character Growth Map.

In its totality, Fantasian is made up of nearly 160 handmade dioramas, approximately 50 of which are original to Part 2. Part 2 will also include 34 new tracks from Nobuo Uematsu.
It seems a bit ominous to me that the second half will be twice as long as the first half but will only have half the new locations. The game does have easy fast travel, but it does seem like you'll be using it a lot in the back half to go back and forth to locations. Wonder if they ran dry on the budget prematurely.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 9, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Scarlet Nexus' story is convoluted and ridiculous even for an anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wouldn't know since I'm currently playing the half of the game that doesn't actually bother telling you what's going on.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
don't worry it doesn't make any sense even when you know everything

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I'm at a point in NEO Twewy where it feels like fights take a lot longer than they should. Might be because I'm not eating enough to raise my attack, but eating is so expensive and takes so long to get hungry again, especially in contrast to the original game where you'd just eat a chili dog for a few hundred yen, fight a few battles, and be good to go.

That or I'm not using an optimal pin setup but dang it I've got pins to master.

While the former is probably part of it I'd say the latter is the big issue. You should be using new and powerful pins pretty constantly that in my experience was the best way to get stronger to keep battles from dragging.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I feel like the thing that i actually really appreciate about VP is the writing and unique storytelling, not the combat and platforming. And the part everyone chooses to crib is of course the gameplay.

Not to say VP isn't fun to play, because it is, but i don't think I've ever seen another game do what they did writing-wise which is a huge shame.

That's a good point honestly. I don't think many people really recommend games that have a similar writing tone to other ones. Everyone's looking for a good FF/ Tactics Ogre game instead of one that reads like that for the dialogue.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Scarlet Nexus' story is convoluted and ridiculous even for an anime.

are video game adaptations known for maintaining narrative coherency

e; i actually dont know if this post is about the game or the anime adaptation of the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime's stories are often elegant in their simplicity and speak to the truth of the human condition. begone, troll!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hell yeah Fantasian part 2 aka the part where half the systems the game taunted you with are located!

Gotta wrap up FF3 in 3 days then, so wooof

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Hell yeah Fantasian part 2 aka the part where half the systems the game taunted you with are located!
yeah i'm still making my way through part 1 (at the Junkyard currently) and it's only because of the article I read that I learned there's eventually a skill tree that unlocks (but only for Leo in the first part). i don't get why they deliver that stuff piecemeal

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh yeah i got to the bit of caligula effect everyone mentions about and frankly from the way people talk about it i was expecting worse, i was surprised how much mifue's dungeon holds back on how they could've wrote the party's reactions to sweet p and how blatantly all of mifue's weird dialog is entirely her lashing out because of her own self-hatred. it's sorta off putting but like, for a game that's rolling with everyone being kind of lovely people on the outset (i kinda like that despite calming down kensuke is still kind of a manipulative and selfish jerk early on) i was expecting the way they treat finding out that sweet p is trans to be a lot worse. then again in the back of my head i was expecting some kind of dumb persona 3/4 clown show for it so that was expecting very little i guess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah i'm still making my way through part 1 (at the Junkyard currently) and it's only because of the article I read that I learned there's eventually a skill tree that unlocks (but only for Leo in the first part). i don't get why they deliver that stuff piecemeal

Don't forget their is more to the equip system but you can't do anything with it either.

Still, I'm very excited for actual party roster management and skill trees.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Colonel posted:

i was expecting the way they treat finding out that sweet p is trans to be a lot worse. then again in the back of my head i was expecting some kind of dumb persona 3/4 clown show for it so that was expecting very little i guess

Well this has me curious now given that I've been playing the main as a stand-in for myself with the spoiled bit as their "horrible past" (it has fit better than expected so far!)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's a very stark moment cause like right as the cast find out through someone's old pictures and memories a couple of them start to make some kinda lovely jokes but then they all realize it means their bodies in mobius are probably different from their bodies in the real world and instantly get very awkward and self-conscious because their reasons for coming in could have just as much to do with having anxieties about their own appearances as the person they're mocking. at the very least it shows the game puts a lot more thought into that aspect than you'd expect even if its approach can get a bit clunky at times

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
The way she's introduced is kinda edgy, but I like SweetP a lot. Especially in the stuff that's new to Overdose.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sweetp rules

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

When the Trans stuff in Caligula Effect gets introduced it pretty immediately gets sidelined by the clearly self-hating fatphobia, so that part never came off as too bad for me. And I must admit naming the fat hating character's limit break "Brilliant Bulimia" is a good way to hint/clearly signpost their issues, in addition to it being pretty obvious from the way they are acting.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blaze Union makes Yggra Union a real downer. Even if wanting to kill Yggdra for their father's crimes was a bit much, I feel pretty bad for Aegina/Luciana. Not to mention Gulcasa.

On that note, Yggdra Union's translation is kinda bad in places huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So this showed up on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1131920/LABYRINTH_OF_TOUHOU__GENSOUKYO_AND_THE_HEAVENPIERCING_TREE/

Hopefully the translation patch is compatible with the Steam version (or they make a Steam-compatible translation patch?)