Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Im_Special posted:

And no regrets either. Oh and look! A Goon without a neckbeard! Rare. :aaaaa:

Quick, add it to the SAclopedia entry! :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Count Uvula posted:

I'd recommend Call of Pripyat over Shadow of Chernobyl. A lot of it comes down to personal taste but I like CoP better and it has the advantage of working out of the box instead of requiring some hefty bug-fix mods.
All three STALKER games have bundle sales (on and off steam) pretty often. I'd recommend a bundle purchase and using a mod that imports SoC into the CoP engine.

Call of Pripyat is technically improved (basically competent), but really sterile as far as the actual story and gameplay are concerned.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This was literally the game that ruined video games for me. Watching it transform from extremely cool early-days-of-EA god game prototype into a lovely mobile game into a cancelled product with a lovely mobile game sequel that also got cancelled made me realize video games will never be good again. Every update for it removed features and actively made it worse, it's not even possible to play the cool version of it that made everyone get excited in the first place anymore

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 1, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Source... your quotes?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So is The Ascent any good?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

From the stuff posted in this thread, sounds like it might be good a few patches down the road, but is currently plagued by some really weird design decisions around questlines taking you places you aren't prepared for, and sidequests only working at certain points in the game, to the point you can unlock doors for a sidequest you've been given but then not walk through the door. Also there's apparently a weird fixed FOV problem where even with ultrawide monitors you end up getting attacked from off-screen by enemies you literally can't see to target and shoot back at.

Game is supposedly gorgeous though. I really wanted to give it a try but the feedback convinced me to hold off awhile.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The Xbox Series X controller I ordered back in June has now stopped working; although the unit rumbles when plugged into my PC, the guide button light fails to illuminate, and Windows immediately pops a 'the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it' error. I've tried multiple USB-C cables with the same result, so I'm certain it's the controller that's faulty and not the cable. Amazon are refusing to allow a returns request, as the window on this apparently closed a week and a half ago.

Lesson learned, I suppose. Any suggestions for PC controllers that aren't garbage?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's a demo available for the System Shock remake now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

Where do all these demos keep coming from :confused: No fanfare then I randomly run across it in the store. Same with Xenonauts 2 and some other games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 1, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Ascent is free on the Game Pass and I can cofirm that it's gorgeous, it's just dripping with detail in every corner, it's kinda ridiculous tbh. I can't give my opinion about the aformentioned problems because I'm a bit too early yet.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

spincube posted:

The Xbox Series X controller I ordered back in June has now stopped working; although the unit rumbles when plugged into my PC, the guide button light fails to illuminate, and Windows immediately pops a 'the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it' error. I've tried multiple USB-C cables with the same result, so I'm certain it's the controller that's faulty and not the cable. Amazon are refusing to allow a returns request, as the window on this apparently closed a week and a half ago.

Lesson learned, I suppose. Any suggestions for PC controllers that aren't garbage?

What you describe could be the USB port in the controller becoming loose. That's been a problem with all my wireless controllers for Playstations and Xboxes. I'm currently using a PS5 controller where that hasn't happened yet, but the port looks and feels almost as flimsy as the PS4 one, and I'm not confident recommending it.

Thirdparty wired controllers might be the way to go.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
The Ascent feels really weird, lots of things are absolutely knocked out of the park and some fairly basic things are entirely whack. The levels look amazing and vibrant and rich and populated with all kinds of interesting, unique poo poo. The sound for most of the guns is really punchy and satisfying, explosions look and sound impressively impactful, the voice work is pretty good, etc.

But at the same time you spend a LOT of time just slogging around on foot not doing much, the quest compass sometimes decides to straight up aim in the wrong direction, getting caught on geometry is real easy in addition to a lot of the early quests being just barfed onto you without any indication that you can't actually access areas they lead to yet. No crashes, but some real violent frame hiccups when some certain effects occur and there is a lot of awkward camera fuckery with getting shot from off-screen. enemies getting hidden in the environment, etc.

In my opinion it is totally worth playing for the experience, but it's definitely AAA in some departments and eurojank in others.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay the System Shock demo owns bones

I really like the art style except for the creatures/humans :( The bug-eyed mutants in particular look a little saturday morning cartoon

The environments 100000% nail the "retro 80s future" in a way no other game or throwback media ever has, it's such a cool way to show love for where the game came from while still updating it to a fresh modern aesthetic

There's a heavy use of square motifs and right angles everywhere which looks very good in action, it helps hide the fact that the textures are all fairly low-res and pixelated (which is a strength here, imo). The whole vibe is like a late-80s neon-and-CRTs everywhere stylized look. It's probably not for everyone but it's really, really good and looks fresh and unique. The technology looks mashed up between Star Wars original triology and Bladerunner

Everything feels right so far, the pipe melee is meaty, it's very atmospheric

I don't know how this demo came out in february and I just now found it

e: vvv I think it's the same old one? I didn't know it was out before but System Shock came up in my new releases queue on Steam and I saw the demo for the first time

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 1, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's a demo available for the System Shock remake now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

Where do all these demos keep coming from :confused: No fanfare then I randomly run across it in the store. Same with Xenonauts 2 and some other games.

Is it a new demo? They've dropped the same ancient build a few times before

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

deep dish peat moss posted:

This was literally the game that ruined video games for me. Watching it transform from extremely cool early-days-of-EA god game prototype into a lovely mobile game into a cancelled product with a lovely mobile game sequel that also got cancelled made me realize video games will never be good again. Every update for it removed features and actively made it worse, it's not even possible to play the cool version of it that made everyone get excited in the first place anymore
Molyneux always delivered underbaked games with interesting ideas and I took a punt on him for that, but Godus really was him trying something new by not delivering an unbaked game without any ideas.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ghostlight posted:

Molyneux always delivered underbaked games with interesting ideas and I took a punt on him for that, but Godus really was him trying something new by not delivering an unbaked game without any ideas.

which was also tied in with the massively multiplayer online cube

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

spincube posted:

Have you checked the warranty on it? Even if you just sell it when you get it back.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Games are good but Black and White was one of two games that made me distrust hype around games. The other was Master of Orion 3, which was way worse. It wasn't a comparable release, but imagine if Cyberpunk came out and it got good to great reviews that either left out or severely underplayed any criticism of all the bugs. I just looked and IGN gave MoO3 a 9.2, lol.

I don't mean this in a drag them out in public and demand answers kind of way, but I'd be genuinely interested to read an article that went back and talked to some of the reviewers from back then and asked what the deal was with some of the crazier reviews/what kinds of pressures they might have felt to give mediocre to bad games ratings they didn't deserve.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Aug 1, 2021

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Donnerberg posted:

What you describe could be the USB port in the controller becoming loose. That's been a problem with all my wireless controllers for Playstations and Xboxes. I'm currently using a PS5 controller where that hasn't happened yet, but the port looks and feels almost as flimsy as the PS4 one, and I'm not confident recommending it.

Thirdparty wired controllers might be the way to go.

For sure. My logic to begin with was that I'd spend a little extra getting something official and, hopefully, high quality - my previous controller being an official wired Xbox 360 pad, which was roughly thirteen years old ... I'd still be using the thing if the left stick hadn't begun to drift.

zedprime posted:

Have you checked the warranty on it? Even if you just sell it when you get it back.

I'm currently stuck in the Amazon customer service hellscape:

...I've messaged the seller just in case, but I'm almost positive they'll also hide behind a one-month return window.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mescal posted:

If you also slept on streets of rogue, don't ignore it due to the very generic look. If you liked the way difficulty was tuned in spelunky, you'll be down.

I bought it and I loved the premise but didn't love how everything killed me and I could never do anything cool.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Streets of Rogue is fun as gently caress, but they really ought to have made an option to turn off friendly fire, or maybe made that a default trait of classes that specialize in recruiting followers. Far too easy to clip your followers and make them go hostile.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

spincube posted:

I'd recommend an 8bitdo controller, I love my Pro 2 and haven't had any problems with it. It's the Nintendo button layout because it's technically designed as a Switch controller, but you can rebind buttons in the proprietary software (or just Steam Input) and it works great as an Xinput or DInput controller thanks to the switch on the back.

It's also got back paddle buttons and optional turbo/macro bindings. All for cheaper than a first-party controller from one of the big three companies.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

spincube posted:

For sure. My logic to begin with was that I'd spend a little extra getting something official and, hopefully, high quality - my previous controller being an official wired Xbox 360 pad, which was roughly thirteen years old ... I'd still be using the thing if the left stick hadn't begun to drift.

I'm currently stuck in the Amazon customer service hellscape:

...I've messaged the seller just in case, but I'm almost positive they'll also hide behind a one-month return window.
Your warranty will be directly with Microsoft and detailed on the packaging/inserts. You'd need to register with Microsoft support etc. Retailers and resellers are cut out almost completely from consumer electronics replacement these days. A one month return window on open package electronics is saintly considering they are probably liquidating them off to a refurb program at that point. While as a consumer you can warranty exchange.

Just some random googling and your MS warranty on a controller is probably good for a few months? Was hard to tell because I don't have one or the SKU and it will depend on what market you are in.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
i once tried to warranty an Xbox controller through Microsoft and it was a complete nightmare. It may have changed, but since it wasn't tied to a console I couldn't find anyone willing to help me and was transferred to numerous departments. I was out of warranty at Best Buy, but I went and plead my case and they replaced it for me.

The thing that broke it was I wanted to see the battery percentage, and the app that does that needed to update the controller firmware which bricked it. I still do not like the XB1 controller I have and keep thinking about replacing it with a PS5 one.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Ascent is very good, with notable caveats. One that I'm playing it multiplayer and it feels like the combat was made for multiplayer. Two that it has substantial performance and other jank.

Otherwise though, it's a competent aRPG (emphasis on the rpg part, you basically just get stronger and everything gets easier, it's not a Diablo looter), with stunning environmental design and visuals. Just amazing to look at, especially if you're running it on a high end PC.

Tribes of Midgard is good solid fun, great in a group of friends and absolutely horrible on public servers. I would not recommend this unless you are going to play it with 4+ friends. If you are, it's a good time, with constant time pressure forcing you to focus on collaborative goals to succeed.

I was going to post about Anno 1800 but it's not on Steam :v: (great fun in coop)

To summarize: play games with friends :glomp:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How's The Ascent for two players?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gort posted:

How does the multiplayer work anyway, are you able to bring in your own character from your own game into someone elses, or do you basically need to start over if you wanna join theirs

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does State of Decay 2 do that thing 1 did, where your dumbass villagers constantly get in trouble and spawn missions you need to divert and handle ASAP if you don't want your guys dying?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

victrix posted:

The Ascent is very good, with notable caveats. One that I'm playing it multiplayer and it feels like the combat was made for multiplayer. Two that it has substantial performance and other jank.

Yeah, I'm noticing this one as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to heal yourself aside from random medpacks dropped by enemies. In MP that's no trouble since you can just be revived if you go down, but in singleplayer you're just plain dead and have to reload. It's very easy to get attrited to death if you run into an unlucky stretch with no medpack drops.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I'm noticing this one as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to heal yourself aside from random medpacks dropped by enemies. In MP that's no trouble since you can just be revived if you go down, but in singleplayer you're just plain dead and have to reload. It's very easy to get attrited to death if you run into an unlucky stretch with no medpack drops.

I feel like that's a trend I've seen recently, where there's a comeback mechanic for MP but not SP. Especially strange when some games actually give you a limited self-revive only if you're playing with other people and gently caress all if you're on your own.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Call of Pripyat is already loads better than Clear Sky, lol how it just chucks you in the deep end though. "Here's the base, here's some stalkers who will 100% stab you in the back, here's some bandits, here's ten thousand quests. Go to it"

The last few hours of CS were a nightmare though, jesus christ

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 1, 2021

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Omi no Kami posted:

Does State of Decay 2 do that thing 1 did, where your dumbass villagers constantly get in trouble and spawn missions you need to divert and handle ASAP if you don't want your guys dying?

Your own villagers don't get in trouble, but enclaves and lone survivors spawn those missions. Enclaves abandon the zone sometimes if you start missing missions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sokani posted:

Your own villagers don't get in trouble, but enclaves and lone survivors spawn those missions. Enclaves abandon the zone sometimes if you start missing missions.

Which is fine as new enclaves move in to replace ‘em.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Omi no Kami posted:

It's already been said but they significantly improved this pain point with the second game as well as just about everything else in the game.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Stalker CoP Trip Report:
Walked for a few through an empty wilderness trying to find a crashed helicopter and then got chased by a pack of dogs into a dangerous cave where a scary guy said something I couldn't understand and then got an instant game over. GOTY

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

It's great, bought it yesterday and played a bunch coop with a friend of mine. It's way easier to overlook the little bits of jank here and there when there's two of you running around being idiots.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

Stalker CoP Trip Report:
Walked for a few through an empty wilderness trying to find a crashed helicopter and then got chased by a pack of dogs into a dangerous cave where a scary guy said something I couldn't understand and then got an instant game over. GOTY

SoC and CoP have this for the new player: memorable first encounters with some of the tougher enemies. SoC's is just as good, coming as it does at the end of a great sequence that is also your first encounter with a bloodsucker.

E: The OGSE mod doubling down and adding one more in that final tunnel was a rude, rude shock when you'd got down the way to nail the first one like it was nothing. The infamous turret it added right after you climbed out we also a rude shock ... of the unwelcome kind - modded that poo poo right back out.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 1, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

spincube posted:

8bitdo pro controller is great imo. The pro 2 is fairly out of stock, so if you want paddles wait for that, but I’ve been a fan of the old version.

E: beaten! I guess the only other thing to mention is that the sticks are side by side PS controller style, not offset like an Xbox controller. I got used to it pretty quickly but ymmv.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eason the Fifth posted:

Stalker CoP Trip Report:

I got someone too loaded on vodka to do their jobs, got hired by bandits to kill some guys, immediately told someone that and shot them in the back instead, and got all my gear nice and shiny and upgraded lol

I like the health and item changes so that you don't need tens of thousands of bandages per fight again too, jesus christ. Got through Clear Sky running from bandage to bandage after Pripyat, every shot I took added bleed through all the impact and kevlar upgrades anyway

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Stalker CoP Trip Report:

If I'm remembering right you stumbled into a cave with a controller, who are absolute assholes. The first one in ShoC confused the hell out of me, I kept wondering why my view got screwy and I was suddenly dead. Honestly thought it was a glitch

Edit: Also if that is the cave I'm thinking of I somehow missed that for several playthroughs :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

If I'm remembering right you stumbled into a cave with a controller, who are absolute assholes. The first one in ShoC confused the hell out of me, I kept wondering why my view got screwy and I was suddenly dead. Honestly thought it was a glitch

That dude owns, it's a good way to show that you're getting hosed up psychically