Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

It's very "Gundam Breaker with a lot of serial numbers filed off," yes. There's gameplay and stuff, and it plays well enough. The writing is kind of bad, though. The character designs used to be terrible, but they got a facelift and are now less terrible.

Just keep in mind that the parts you use don't have a lot of mechanical effect, because the intent was that you should be able to make whatever rad robot you wanted without having to worry about "oh no these arms are powerful but they don't match my aesthetic" issues, which has obvious ups and downs here. There is customizing that impacts how your robot plays, but that's unrelated to how it looks.

Can you make a big chunky Mazinger or is it only sleek Late UC robos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

dbzfandiego posted:

Can you make a big chunky Mazinger or is it only sleek Late UC robos?

It's pretty much just real robot designs, of the UC/CE Gundam flavor. Most of the parts boil down to Gundam, RGM or Zeon knockoffs.

e: There is one set of parts that somewhat resembles the Man Rodi/Gusion from IBO, I guess.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

It's pretty much just real robot designs, of the UC/CE Gundam flavor. Most of the parts boil down to Gundam, RGM or Zeon knockoffs.

e: There is one set of parts that somewhat resembles the Man Rodi/Gusion from IBO, I guess.

That's a shame still looks cool.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mean I've seen some pretty crazy customs done over in the /m/ threads like some really good Getter Robos and such so probably possible to do a Mazinger

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So after realizing I remembered literally nothing about Betterman I started rewatching it, and I really forgot everything. Especially how kind of ugly this series is.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So after realizing I remembered literally nothing about Betterman I started rewatching it, and I really forgot everything. Especially how kind of ugly this series is.

It's not a good show.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Droyer posted:

It's not a good show.

that I do remember. It's all the plot stuff, like betterman turning into a giant monster, I don't remember.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Nuebot posted:

I forgot it had one of the weirdest ideas for an OP sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-wOF3uQEYQ

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like Betterman solely through the nostalgia of being 10 and seeing it on Tech TV and being blown away that this cartoon was the weird amalgamation of every fictional idea I liked; robots, giant monsters and super powers

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
bring back brain powrd

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

I like Betterman solely through the nostalgia of being 10 and seeing it on Tech TV and being blown away that this cartoon was the weird amalgamation of every fictional idea I liked; robots, giant monsters and super powers

Same, it also felt way smarter than it probably was because they kept talking about sciency things that would mostly go over my head.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Nuebot posted:

The only subs I could find for it were cropped in a truly bizarre way which didn't help matters much.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Droyer posted:

It's not a good show.

no

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Gridman was awesome, and I can already see how it's going to be used in SRW and I expect it to be a favorite unit. I binged Dynazenon afterwards and while the robot stuff was a little less cool to me (totally subjective, I know) the character stuff was way more interesting. I loved the way each character had a robust life outside of what was happening with the robot stuff. Not really a topic for this thread, but when Dynazenon eventually makes it in I expect the combiner shenanigans will be fun And Gridknight is baller in both series, just gotta say.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The real question is when are we getting Robotics;Notes?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Levantine posted:

Gridman was awesome, and I can already see how it's going to be used in SRW and I expect it to be a favorite unit. I binged Dynazenon afterwards and while the robot stuff was a little less cool to me (totally subjective, I know) the character stuff was way more interesting. I loved the way each character had a robust life outside of what was happening with the robot stuff. Not really a topic for this thread, but when Dynazenon eventually makes it in I expect the combiner shenanigans will be fun And Gridknight is baller in both series, just gotta say.
Yeah I love dynazenon. My only real complaint with it is that I wish Chise got a bit more.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Yeah I love dynazenon. My only real complaint with it is that I wish Chise got a bit more.

I agree, and I thought she was going to go in a very different direction based on the opening During the OP there's a scene where she's on a black background and what looks like that red V-shape that was on Alexis' chest in Gridman shows up behind her. I figured she might take a villainous turn, but I'm also glad she didn't because honestly she's super pure as it is.

I hope SRW does what it does best and expands some of these character roles!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/vldhomecenter/status/1421111054738755595

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

bring back brain powrd
S in all environments poo poo yeah.

I was watching Gunbuster yesterday and thinking about SRW and I really hope they do a complete reboot at some point and throw the current trend of the animations and music being closer and closer to the anime in reverse and reclaim the mindset they had when the technology meant that that wouldn’t be possible anyway. That’s my unicorn dream for the series right now anyway.
Edit: and way way more attacks that look like the Final Dankuu hou in Z2

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 6, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

J has the best dancouga music version

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

J has the best dancouga music version
Music is part of it. I liked how MX used the ending music for Mazinger and Getter etc.

Even that level of variation seems to be part of the past for SRW.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I feel like part of it's got to be that with so many other concurrent anime and older mecha anime to compete with for headspace, newer anime EDs aren't in iconic in the same way that the classics got to be. There are plenty I'd love to hear in SRW, though.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

So uh, https://www.famitsu.com/news/202108/06229013.html

That sure is an OG battleship.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:slick: hell yes it’s about time

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's very Grungust-core.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

It also seems to be really, really big.
If I'm translating that description right, it's 2 kilometers long.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Figures Daitarn isn’t in the game where a battleship could actually dock it. please be a valcazard situation

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Is it just me, or does the bridge look a bit like a head?

Please tell me it'll be a transforming battleship.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cyflan posted:

It also seems to be really, really big.
If I'm translating that description right, it's 2 kilometers long.

... what is this, a loving macross ship?

Is this fucker going to stand up into a giant Grungust?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
W had a massive transforming battleship, frankly it's been too long =

(SRW W was 14 years ago)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yo that thing kinda owns

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tae posted:

W had a massive transforming battleship, frankly it's been too long =

(SRW W was 14 years ago)

The valstork was under 200 meters

This ridiculous loving thing is over 10 times it's length

Even with the valzacard being basically two valstorks it was dinky next to this poo poo

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Wonder if they made it that big just so it'd be 3L sized, so they could have another XXX thing for 30.

Supremezero posted:

Is this fucker going to stand up into a giant Grungust?

I hope so.

Cyflan fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 6, 2021

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
That battleship is going to hit so loving hard I can't wait! 30 is shaping up to be pretty interesting so far.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Wait for it to be terrible anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Music is part of it. I liked how MX used the ending music for Mazinger and Getter etc.

Even that level of variation seems to be part of the past for SRW.
eh, not really? fmp didnt have any of its OPs/EDs at all in V, it was all bgm. That's a variation.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cyflan posted:

Wonder if they made it that big just so it'd be 3L sized, so they could have another XXX thing for 30.

That Getter Dragon that Go pilots is also 3L, or at least it was in V.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dance Officer posted:

Wait for it to be terrible anyway.
the battleships have been pretty drat powerful lately though I think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If anything i imagine the og battleship being so distinct (and existing because og battleships arent actually that common) is to make up for the lack of a battleship series like yamato or harlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

wdarkk posted:

That Getter Dragon that Go pilots is also 3L, or at least it was in V.

Yeah I know, I just meant since 3L is XXXL, it's another reference to 30, like the XXX on the Huckebein's face.
Also Shin Dragon is huge.