Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LanceHunter posted:

Now, for a quick detour into some of the wildest poo poo I've seen in a while...

https://twitter.com/joshua_pieters/status/1421464141697540099?s=20

Big grin hit my face when I realized these were the Katie Hopkins oval office Award guys. I really should weaponize my posh British accent like these wonderful people. They’re like a Project Veritas for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Looks like all this Delta talk lit a fire under people and there's been a sudden uptick in vaxxs and the US finally reached the 50% fully vaxxed mark:

Congrats!! :toot:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Although the 'uptick' was probably mostly made up by CSPAM goons getting their 3rd and 4th shots under false names ...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Although the 'uptick' was probably mostly made up by CSPAM goons getting their 3rd and 4th shots under false names ...

I'm definitely not a C-SPAM goon but I have been semi-seriously toying with the idea of getting Johnson and Johnson on top of the 2 Moderna shots I already got. It seems like the adenovirus + mRNA combo seems pretty good judging from the AZ + Pfizer results.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

"Today's $100 vaccine lottery goes to... uh... Realname McGimmetheshot"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looks like all this Delta talk lit a fire under people and there's been a sudden uptick in vaxxs and the US finally reached the 50% fully vaxxed mark:

Congrats!! :toot:

If I'm being honest I don't see any uptick in that curve, if anything the rate is nearly as low now as it was at the start of January. 50% is a good milestone but we are hosed

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A lot of experts had been saying early on that we need to reach 70% immunity at least for covid-19 to not simply become endemic. So we're nearly three-quarters there, but with a relatively low vaccination rate; all of the people who really wanted it have gotten it, the people who don't want it will never get it, so we're just left with a slow trickle of stupid people who eventually get around to thinking "hmm perhaps it would be bad if I drowned to death in my own fluids"

So right now we're talking to the loan shark all like "well I paid back three-quarters of the mob's money, surely that's worth celebrating" while Antonio is getting ready to break our legs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Seventy percent was always hopelessly lowballing it.

quote:

“When polls said only about half of all Americans would take a vaccine, I was saying herd immunity would take 70 to 75 percent,” Dr. Fauci said. “Then, when newer surveys said 60 percent or more would take it, I thought, ‘I can nudge this up a bit,’ so I went to 80, 85.”

“We need to have some humility here,” he added. “We really don’t know what the real number is. I think the real range is somewhere between 70 to 90 percent. But, I’m not going to say 90 percent.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/24/health/herd-immunity-covid-coronavirus.html

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

QuarkJets posted:

A lot of experts had been saying early on that we need to reach 70% immunity at least for covid-19 to not simply become endemic. So we're nearly three-quarters there, but with a relatively low vaccination rate; all of the people who really wanted it have gotten it, the people who don't want it will never get it, so we're just left with a slow trickle of stupid people who eventually get around to thinking "hmm perhaps it would be bad if I drowned to death in my own fluids"

So right now we're talking to the loan shark all like "well I paid back three-quarters of the mob's money, surely that's worth celebrating" while Antonio is getting ready to break our legs.

it's actually two thirds not three quarters :v: but the point stilll stands

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I hate this guy so much

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

My loving balls

https://twitter.com/MatthewFacciani/status/1420924547247841281?s=20

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1421803159517728772?s=20

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1421786589844414469?s=19

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

AHH F/UGH posted:

OPEN THEM BEACHES UP BOYS!!!!!

Florida seems pretty loving doomed at this point: same with some of the other GOP states

Is there anything the federal government can do to make these lunatics comply?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

Florida seems pretty loving doomed at this point: same with some of the other GOP states

The federal government should send soldiers door-to-door to take away guns and administer vaccines

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

and then if you end up being one of the breakthroughs that ends up hospitalized or dead, hey, you proved the anti-vaxxers "right".

We topped 101,000 new cases yesterday for the first time in quite some time, which makes me wonder if it was still that bad and they stopped testing vaccinated people or if delta is just such a gently caress that it's doing this. I'm assuming it's a combination of both.

No. I wouldn't prove them right nor would I prove them "right." You are intentionally blinding yourself from understanding statistics. From outside of your head, you are indistinguishable from them.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Elea posted:

Wow look at those people behaving exactly like we have this entire time!

¿?????¿¿?????

Let's get vaccinated too bros.

Lmao you're dumb as hell

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We topped 101,000 new cases yesterday for the first time in quite some time, which makes me wonder if it was still that bad and they stopped testing vaccinated people or if delta is just such a gently caress that it's doing this. I'm assuming it's a combination of both.

It's the second one. You can see both positivity rate and new cases skyrocket when Delta took hold. The first also doesn't make sense unless you think that it was less lethal for months since covid deaths as well as excess deaths fell proportionally during the lull.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
just thinking bout the time smashmouth gave the country the 'vid

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the CDC leak, but I thought it was saying that even if America magically had a vaccination rate of literally 100%, that without additional measures we would still be facing growing spread.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the CDC leak, but I thought it was saying that even if America magically had a vaccination rate of literally 100%, that without additional measures we would still be facing growing spread.

You are. If you're one of the 5 to 20% of vaccinated people who get a breakthrough case you can still spread. Even doomer 20% still results in a r0 of <1

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You are. If you're one of the 5 to 20% of vaccinated people who get a breakthrough case you can still spread. Even doomer 20% still results in a r0 of <1

I don't think he's reading that wrong. The r0 is too high to control with vaccination alone.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strep Vote posted:

I don't think he's reading that wrong. The r0 is too high to control with vaccination alone.

That’s not how r0 works. Pertussis has an r0 of 17 without vaccination but now it only comes up when people are idiots and don’t vaccinate.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

No, that's not what it was saying. It didn't change anything about efficacy for preventing infection in the first place nor did it change any understanding about the r0 of the disease. It outlines these limitations in the discussion portion of the now released report.

That being said, r0 estimates for Delta are high enough that a lot of the high end estimates make herd immunity impossible without a more effective vaccine so we'd face some level of spread without additional measures. Low end estimates on efficacy against infection, such as the 64% efficacy against infection in the most recent Israel study, put this way out of reach. Even higher estimates such as the 79% from the UK study would need improvement from a booster for vaccination alone to stop the spread. Note that these are the efficacy numbers for infection are not just symptomatic infection since we know asymptomatic vaccinated individuals can spread the disease as well. It's just that this information isn't something you can gather from the new CDC report.

Strep Vote posted:

He is. He's not necessarily wrong about that though, it's just not something you can read from that CDC report.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 1, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

wilderthanmild posted:

No, that's not what it was saying. It didn't change anything about efficacy for preventing infection in the first place nor did it change any understanding about the r0 of the disease. It outlines these limitations in the discussion portion of the now released report.

That being said, r0 estimates for Delta are high enough that a lot of the high end estimates make herd immunity impossible without a more effective vaccine so we'd face some level of spread without additional measures. Low end estimates on efficacy against infection, such as the 64% efficacy against infection in the most recent Israel study, put this way out of reach. Even higher estimates such as the 79% from the UK study would need significant improvement from a booster for vaccination alone to stop the spread. Note that these are the efficacy numbers for infection are not just symptomatic infection since we know asymptomatic vaccinated individuals can spread the disease as well. It's just that this information isn't something you can gather from the new CDC report.

He is. He's not necessarily wrong about that though, it's just not something you can read from that CDC report.

Gotcha. I suppose it comes down to how often the virus colonizes vaccinated throats and noses without causing symptoms and it's going to be impossible to know who is shedding and who isn't.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

They can link federal emergency funding for COVID relief to the presence of mask mandates and other safety measures

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SpecAlt/status/1421848195437498368

A lot of readers of GCSE English books down there, apparently.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/SpecAlt/status/1421848195437498368

A lot of readers of GCSE English books down there, apparently.

My dad's been taking it every week/day? (his story changes) for months and he can't keep his poo poo straight anymore. He randomly lashes out and hears voices while he's sitting around. He falls asleep at the drop of a hat. I use this stuff on my sheep and it doesn't do that to any of them, but I have no idea what it's doing to my father; who I've told to stop repeatedly. He's feeding it to my mom (she knows, she just doesn't care) and her creatinine is creeping up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally kills both of them. You can't even buy the tubes around here at TSC unless you tell the clerk you aren't going to take it and then they have to go unlock a case to get it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm definitely not a C-SPAM goon but I have been semi-seriously toying with the idea of getting Johnson and Johnson on top of the 2 Moderna shots I already got. It seems like the adenovirus + mRNA combo seems pretty good judging from the AZ + Pfizer results.

personally i wouldn't until various studies are done on the effects of getting extra-extra vaxxed. and i don't mean on the PERSON; i mean, there's no way to know at this time whether getting mega vaccinated will also contribute to the advent of an even worse covid, the way stupid asses will take high powered antiviral cocktails for the common cold and contribute to the evolution of other superbugs.

basically get your one preferred vaccine now and mask up because the ultra tiny not-quite-animals that live in your lungs are fuckin everyone up. if it starts getting reported later that mixing and matching is encouraged then by all means.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 1, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

My dad's been taking it every week/day? (his story changes) for months and he can't keep his poo poo straight anymore. He randomly lashes out and hears voices while he's sitting around. He falls asleep at the drop of a hat. I use this stuff on my sheep and it doesn't do that to any of them, but I have no idea what it's doing to my father; who I've told to stop repeatedly. He's feeding it to my mom (she knows, she just doesn't care) and her creatinine is creeping up.

I wouldn't be surprised if he accidentally kills both of them. You can't even buy the tubes around here at TSC unless you tell the clerk you aren't going to take it and then they have to go unlock a case to get it.
I love that we have a safe and exceptionally effective pharmaceutical method of preventing hospitalization and death from COVID-19, but people are opting for a much less safe and totally ineffective pharmaceutical method instead. :911:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

I love that we have a safe and exceptionally effective pharmaceutical method of preventing hospitalization and death from COVID-19, but people are opting for a much less safe and totally ineffective pharmaceutical method instead. :911:

:eng101: they both also got moderna, but it's the ivermectin paste that's keeping them safe obviously

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Sturgis is next week. Going to be some fun numbers from that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1421906652601544708?s=20

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CitizenKain posted:

Yeah, it's going to be fuckloads more people than Provincetown and with (most assuredly) a way lower vaxx rate. :coronatoot:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1420934402503290881

The Delta coronavirus variant surging across the US appears to cause more severe illness and spreads as easily as chickenpox, according to an internal document from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The document -- a slide presentation -- outlines unpublished data that shows fully vaccinated people might spread the Delta variant at the same rate as unvaccinated people.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

Yeah, I imagine that could be absolutely explosive. I also imagine the kind of people attending are much less likely to have gotten the vaccine.

Some might have immunity gained from getting infected by the wild type last year, but that's worth as much as the vaccine against Delta and even the vaccine is less effective against it.

I'll be absolutely shocked if we don't see an even worse pattern of cases radiating out from South Dakota this year.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1421802895888900099

They worked hard for that.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, I imagine that could be absolutely explosive. I also imagine the kind of people attending are much less likely to have gotten the vaccine.

Some might have immunity gained from getting infected by the wild type last year, but that's worth as much as the vaccine against Delta and even the vaccine is less effective against it.

I'll be absolutely shocked if we don't see an even worse pattern of cases radiating out from South Dakota this year.
Given that Delta progresses so quickly, I'll be absolutely shocked if there aren't people literally dying in Sturgis of a Delta infection that they caught while watching Puddle of Mudd, Drowning Pool, or one of the other illustrious musical acts who are performing this year.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Zugzwang posted:

Given that Delta progresses so quickly, I'll be absolutely shocked if there aren't people literally dying in Sturgis of a Delta infection that they caught while watching Puddle of Mudd, Drowning Pool, or one of the other illustrious musical acts who are performing this year.

How much hospital space can Sturgis even have? That could be really ugly.

Edit: 158 total staffed beds between 2 hospitals.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 1, 2021

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wilderthanmild posted:

How much hospital space can Sturgis even have? That could be really ugly.
Given that it's normally a town of ~6800 people, yeah, it's not gonna be pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner