Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Man Down (10)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

Wait you're complaining about it? That's probably the most "Deus Ex" thing in those later games.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a complaint. It just felt weird, the game was obviously trying to build up to some kind of climactic event using music, visuals, everything, etc. Then, nothing.

I played it straight on a later run, and was pleased with myself for having skipped it on accident the first time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

roomtone posted:

doesn't one of the mods give xp for stealthing, too?

like a bunch of points if you pass a checkpoint without the alarm state

i might be making that up or remembering it from something else.

Shifter gives XP for stealth stuff. Biomod eventually removed that (or left it in as a thing you have to go enable? I forget).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Captain Walker posted:

The commentary for DXHR talks about how Eidos Montreal outsourced the Tyrant boss fights to another company, was it ever revealed who? The Hyron room at least was an interesting microcosm of the puzzle-boss confrontation with Page in A51, but I distinctly there just wasn't enough cover to fight Barrett unless you'd bought the dermal armor aug.

Barret is the first boss of HR, right? Mister gun arm? I went into the fight well warned that it was total horseshit, and I'd even rolled the stereotypical compsci nerd hacking build with zero combat skills. I kill him on my first attempt within seconds, I have no loving idea how and why people had problems, unless they literally dropped all guns outside of the room before walking in. Duck, shoot him during reload, repeat, dies after 1-2 iterations. I even reloaded several times to try alternative tactics (like trying to use melee, heh), but nothing was faster than just shooting him in the face with a random rifle I had which I was unskilled in.

This is probably why I also don't trust fans to balance poo poo in mods.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved that you could basically skip the Hyron fight if you had the laser rifle.

Since they were behind bulletproof glass.

Angry_Ed posted:

I dunno I think the most Deus Ex thing was being able to sucker punch Namir and completely skip that bossfight basically.

I did both :agesilaus:

It was honestly a shock when he went down in one takedown but so satisfying and made sense to me for how skilled Adam is with his abilities at this point in the game.

I also beat the electricity woman (blanking on her name sorry) when she got stuck in place and I just plugged her a few times until the cutscene. That was... not so satisfying.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Angry_Ed posted:

I dunno I think the most Deus Ex thing was being able to sucker punch Namir and completely skip that bossfight basically.

I was wondering how the Barrett fight would go when I did my first non-lethal run of Human Revolution. Two very important realizations:

1. Huh, the stun gun works on him.
2. And it keeps him stunned long enough to reload and shoot him again.

I'd been punching people out any time I was close, and using the dart rifle if I was far, so I had plenty of stun gun darts that I'd picked up all over Detroit. So I just kept him stunned, wondering if they actually did any damage to him, and wondering how I'd handle the fight afterward. Probably stunned him twenty times in a row.

Then the cutscene played.

I laughed for a while.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Are you all not getting the Typhoon Aug installed?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

The commentary for DXHR talks about how Eidos Montreal outsourced the Tyrant boss fights to another company, was it ever revealed who?
Grip Entertainment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_a5AMSD6o8

As far as I can google, they made some AI middleware for an Army of Two game made by an EA studio in Montreal. Eidos Montreal contracted them to make the boss fights in DX:HR. And then the studio was bought by Autodesk and just disappeared. Paul Kruszewski seems to still hang out in Montreal and fleece money from venture capitalists with startups involving AI tech.

Serephina posted:

Barret is the first boss of HR, right? Mister gun arm? I went into the fight well warned that it was total horseshit, and I'd even rolled the stereotypical compsci nerd hacking build with zero combat skills. I kill him on my first attempt within seconds, I have no loving idea how and why people had problems, unless they literally dropped all guns outside of the room before walking in.
Gameplay wise the bosses aren't game breaking. Unlike in the original DX, Adam is competent at combat without upgrades. So regardless of your build you should be able to beat them.
My personal gripe with them was the fact that they had little to no character. Barret just shows up and goes “I’m a guy with a minigun for an arm! Let’s fight!”. In the original DX you know at least know who characters like Anna and Gunther were and why they were there to fight you.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 1, 2021

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

Serephina posted:

Barret is the first boss of HR, right? Mister gun arm? I went into the fight well warned that it was total horseshit, and I'd even rolled the stereotypical compsci nerd hacking build with zero combat skills. I kill him on my first attempt within seconds, I have no loving idea how and why people had problems, unless they literally dropped all guns outside of the room before walking in. Duck, shoot him during reload, repeat, dies after 1-2 iterations. I even reloaded several times to try alternative tactics (like trying to use melee, heh), but nothing was faster than just shooting him in the face with a random rifle I had which I was unskilled in.

This is probably why I also don't trust fans to balance poo poo in mods.

You don't even need guns! I killed him on give me deus ex by chucking extinguishers and gas and explosive barrels at him like a neo-noir Donkey Kong.

Yelena you could literally stun-lock to death with the taser gun

Namir had to get patched because you could use a takedown on him and kill him in one move.

Whoever complains of the bosses' difficulty in HR hasn't played a shooter in their lives.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think the reason people complained is that you can't interact with him in any other way other then attacking him, whereas the original Deus Ex did not have this problem. He wasn't a game breaking boss, but he was also an unfun, badly designed one.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I think boss battles don’t really work too well in deus ex,the kind of cool cg fights in trailers and stuff they can’t pull off in game so it’s always a bit out of place imo.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I think boss battles don’t really work too well in deus ex,the kind of cool cg fights in trailers and stuff they can’t pull off in game so it’s always a bit out of place imo.

Cyberpunk games having lovely enemy ai that doesn't use their implants very much if at all is the norm rather than the exception. And deus ex (and dishonored) give you a lot of options for you and you can do cg trailer bullshit. However it gives none for the enemy, that's why their boss fights kinda suck.

Yelena used her poo poo kinda decently and is the only somewhat good boss of the entire franchise as a result, but the rest are just normal dudes with bigger hp bars.

Hmmm, the only shooter with decent ai and enemy design that forced you to switch your poo poo a bit was Halo and even then the magnum/plasma pistol combo wrecked any covenant enemy.

F.E.A.R had decent ai, but you could blitz through the game with slow-mo and any weapon that gave easy headshots.

I can't believe that enemy ai has basically not changed since early 2000's and it's the factor that is holding games back the most

argosaxelcaos fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 1, 2021

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Dishonored definitely had amazing combat but like most stealth games i feel i’m playing the game wrong if i kill anyone,playing Mankind divided just feels like i’m ruining everything if i shoot anyone,it’s like a spiral i shoot one person and then it’s like “well,might as well clear the rest out”.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

Dishonored definitely had amazing combat but like most stealth games i feel i’m playing the game wrong if i kill anyone,playing Mankind divided just feels like i’m ruining everything if i shoot anyone,it’s like a spiral i shoot one person and then it’s like “well,might as well clear the rest out”.
:emptyquote:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When I play dishonored I love to use combat as a “oh poo poo, I got caught, gently caress gently caress gently caress” and fight my way out before getting sneaky again. It has the right balance between combat being fun and also being lethal enough I want to GTFO.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Immersive sims are the best when it's fun when you get caught, but it's not fun to just play it as a shooter, if that makes sense.

Dishonered really shines in that department, going straight in is kinda boring and/or a huge drain on resources. Picking off guards, killing a few and getting out: that's loving aces. Same goes for MGS V and Prey, to name a couple of examples. You can use a ton of tools to escape/quickly dispose of your attackers, hide, and go stalk your enemies again.

DX (all of them) are quite weak in that regard in my opinion, just like Thief. Combat mode is either on or off, and most of the time it isn't a lot of fun getting caught, unfortunately.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

A deus ex shooter with F.E.A.R AI and enemies using their augs in interesting ways would rock so much.
Especially during the prison DLC seeing convicts speeding around the levels and icarus dashing was cool as poo poo.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017
I remember laughing at emp ammo in Mankind Divided. "Shuts down aug usage for the enemy". Yeah, that would be cool if they'd use it, but the most they do is a random icarus dash now and then, and maybe, maybe some madlad uses the titan armor (which you can punch through with armor piercing anyways).

E: Someone refresh my memory. Did the Men (and Women) In Black in Dx1 have any special abilities at all, or just a longer hp bar? I seem to remember Simons turning on his cloak once...

argosaxelcaos fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 1, 2021

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The only fights I can think of where the enemies use augs well in DX are OG DX. Gunther gets an energy shield, Anna gets a cloak, and Simons gets both. I don't want to say that any of these are excellent fights, but if you're not using the GEP Gun Takedown™ then they can present difficulties to a player who is not expecting them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Simons used, cloak, the missile interceptors in the head slot, I think regen and some other augs too. He was actually fairly hard to bring down. I always just put down lams on my way through.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

aniviron posted:

The only fights I can think of where the enemies use augs well in DX are OG DX. Gunther gets an energy shield, Anna gets a cloak, and Simons gets both. I don't want to say that any of these are excellent fights, but if you're not using the GEP Gun Takedown™ then they can present difficulties to a player who is not expecting them.

aniviron posted:

Not bad, but it just comes down to increasing stats and such. I guess the difficulty is again, in getting the AI to use the augs well. Can you imagine enemies that use speed to run from cover to cover, or use the jump to get on high ground? Cloak to flank you instead of turning it on and staying still while shooting?

Games should stop wasting so much money on graphics and have programmers come up with good combat ai trees.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

argosaxelcaos posted:

E: Someone refresh my memory. Did the Men (and Women) In Black in Dx1 have any special abilities at all, or just a longer hp bar? I seem to remember Simons turning on his cloak once...
The MIB & WIB had the most health of the non-boss enemies and exploded on death. That's it.
The MJ12 commandos were immune to gas and had resistance to fire & plasma attacks, which were passive abilities but sort of corresponded to some of the augs the player could get.

argosaxelcaos posted:

Games should stop wasting so much money on graphics and have programmers come up with good combat ai trees.
I think that if we'll ever see a truly revolutionary AI (something that isn't just a glorified if-then tree) in a videogame, it'll be in an indy passion project.
Any pitch that focusses on AI isn't going to survive in the AAA business because of how averse to risk and change the whole thing is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

aniviron posted:

why the gently caress would you ever fight gunther straight up

missing out on one of the iconic moments of the series that way

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Trying to non-lethally take down a MiB or WiB so that they don't explode is a real challenge. I'm not sure if they drop anything, so it's purely for bragging rights.

Also, I should play the other F.E.A.R. games; the only one I have played is the very first one with no expansions. They do have good AI and I like bullet time mechanics so that I can simulate someone with good reflexes.

I've heard this called the 'cock-up cascade'. One tries to be sneaky, fails, everyone goes on alert and it's either gun down everyone or reload.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 1, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JustJeff88 posted:

Trying to non-lethally take down a MiB or WiB so that they don't explode is a real challenge. I'm not sure if they drop anything, so it's purely for bragging rights.

You can get an assault shotgun early by taking the MiBs out at Paul's apartment non-lethally.

argosaxelcaos
Apr 26, 2017

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, I should play the other F.E.A.R. games; the only one I have played is the very first one with no expansions. They do have good AI and I like bullet time mechanics so that I can simulate someone with good reflexes.

FEAR 1 is the best really, 2 isn't bad, while 3 isn't as cancerous as they say, it's mediocre at best.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Grand Fromage posted:

You can get an assault shotgun early by taking the MiBs out at Paul's apartment non-lethally.

that sounds like it'd be hard as gently caress to pull off

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

site posted:

I do it every time to get my fancy shotgun. Gas grenade, zap the first MiB, grab shotgun, go hide in the closet.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

OOOOOOOOOH! AU! Because it's GOLD.

Finally got it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

site posted:

Liberal use of gas grenade traps

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh it never occurred to me to use gas grenades on mibs since they're cyborgs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

IIRC the document about the MiB augmentation mentions poison air filters so it shouldn't work at all, but hey.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Perfect Deus ex game : a game where the AI is smart enough to have MIB’s crawl through vents after you,spot traps and mines and actually try and set them off from a distance,go invisible at the first sign of trouble,mark unconscious enemies and hang back to watch each other,freaky poo poo like crawling on walls to go over traps you’ve put down.

Nano augs becoming way more inhuman,glowing eyes and go go gadget flamethrower fingers,monstrous bionic jumping legs and body horror poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man imagine if the new deus exes had a mode like spies vs mercs from splinter cell. Five majestics vs one pissed of Denton.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Man imagine if the new deus ex

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Man the new deus ex

I've asked for this :happened::smith:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
MIBs could be one-shot stunprodded If surprised. The sweet spot is somewhere at the lower back.other than that they can just be bruteforce stunprodded with 4-5 prods.

Not sure If fire extinguisher/gas sprayer works on them, gas grenades do.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

IIRC the document about the MiB augmentation mentions poison air filters so it shouldn't work at all, but hey.

i think this referred to the MJ12 troopers in better armor but not sure

Valtonen posted:

MIBs could be one-shot stunprodded If surprised. The sweet spot is somewhere at the lower back.other than that they can just be bruteforce stunprodded with 4-5 prods.

Not sure If fire extinguisher/gas sprayer works on them, gas grenades do.

one prod and one baton to the neck works too

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 2, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

argosaxelcaos posted:

I remember laughing at emp ammo in Mankind Divided. "Shuts down aug usage for the enemy". Yeah, that would be cool if they'd use it, but the most they do is a random icarus dash now and then, and maybe, maybe some madlad uses the titan armor (which you can punch through with armor piercing anyways).

I once saw a MiB kneel down next to a friendly small robot, which then paused and turned hostile. Never seen it happen before or since, never heard anyone see anything like it before. I likely had shifted installed, and it was the MiB that comes in on the sideways elevator after you head back from Bob's hanging in his underpants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Did someone ask for this?

https://twitter.com/ThutoWorld/status/1423822634781917187