Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Pilchenstein posted:

What's your build look like? I cleared Tokyo with shotgun/hammer in tank gear but that was back at launch and they've done the big rebalance since then. You just struggling to kill things quickly enough?

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I assume your build has changed at some point between Kingsmouth and Tokyo or is it the same as in the last video you put out? :v:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Pilchenstein posted:

I assume your build has changed at some point between Kingsmouth and Tokyo or is it the same as in the last video you put out? :v:

No, this is my main character, not the one for the lp. I forget what my skills and passives are, but they were recommended by this thread.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Yeah, it seems like you hit a major wall in Tokyo. I had the same problem with Chaos/Pistol--all the recommended passives and blue gear.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

You can powerlevel your gear with a a few non-contiguous hours of effort, at least to purple fairly easily:
0. Be level 50 (if you are going to tokyo that's a given)
1. Get decent 3-pip talismans and a good 2-pip weapon.
2. Stand in a town, look for people going "LFM X lair"
3. PM them, join. All you need to do is meet up on the leader when asked, pick up the 3 quests at the entrance and then just follow the group. Real easy.
4. This will result in a whole bunch of signet distillates. signets and glyph/tali/weapon distillates. 3 of those tend to be sufficient to level a green to 20, 8 will get a blue to 25.
5. They will also drop purple "Essence" items. Those can be traded in when someone is looking for X regional - you will be asked to bring some of those along as "payment". That's the payday, as visiting one is like doing 15 lairs in a row at a fraction of time. One such farm is sufficient to get 20-30 ilevels, probably more, and depending on your luck, might just be enough to make tokyo your bitch.

Downside - does require actually grinding for stuff, so your other option is to just tough it out.

You can also chain-run scenarios but i find that really, really dreadful and since their rewards scale unfavorably it's less efficient.

Dungeons are largely impossible to get into reliably.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was playing a game with an impossibly long hallway and I randomly remembered how good that Transylvania quest line was where you got the flamethrower.

The sleepless lullaby still sticks in my head sometimes

https://youtu.be/S2aHcANs4GE

The highs in this game were so incredibly good

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

I was playing a game with an impossibly long hallway and I randomly remembered how good that Transylvania quest line was where you got the flamethrower.

The sleepless lullaby still sticks in my head sometimes

https://youtu.be/S2aHcANs4GE

The highs in this game were so incredibly good

Goddamn I clicked the link and the first two notes gave me chills. That really was a fuckin' great bit of the game.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Anniversary time! All new raid and piņatas!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
yo, anybody want to do the golem dance and get the final Talos lore? I think the dance is how you unlock deep agartha.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Mycroft Holmes posted:

yo, anybody want to do the golem dance and get the final Talos lore? I think the dance is how you unlock deep agartha.

n/m

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I started playing this game on a whim thanks to the LP. Thoughts so far:

* A+ story and atmosphere, I'm surprised there aren't more urban fantasy RPGs, MMO or otherwise.

* The random game crashes I get are frustrating. Official forums say it's because I use an Nvidia card, the game just doesn't play well with those and there's nothing I can do.

* Not sure I like the gear upgrade system. It seems like mashing any old talisman or weapon type into my currently equipped one is a good value for anima shards is fine until I have a blue quality one, and after that it's just not worth it unless you have the exact matching type bonus. Which in turn makes it frustrating that I've been getting buried under chaos magic and swords when I'm using blood magic as my primary.

* Speaking of blood magic, when will I get a better looking weapon than this plain old yellow book?

* And is there a way to hide my secondary weapon? I picked warlock as my starting class, blood magic and assault rifles. So far I have never used the rifle, and it's huge and clips badly with my blood book.

* Can aurum be earned in-game at all?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 25, 2021

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Aurum is strictly real money only. You get a "bonus" amount when you purchase larger amounts of it, but, no, there's no Aurum-for-achievements in this game.

Click the small checkmark under your weapon on the character sheet to turn-off the weapon's appearance.

There are weapon (and talisman) variations with small bonuses attached which drop from dungeon chests and, on rare occasion, from opening reward bags. The weapon silhouette will be different than the standard green weapons and simply equipping it once will unlock it in the Dressing Room. You can also check the auction house for cheap greens that have different designs. Naturally the blues and purples are going to be pricier there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burnt Poffin posted:

Aurum is strictly real money only. You get a "bonus" amount when you purchase larger amounts of it, but, no, there's no Aurum-for-achievements in this game.

Dang. Guess I shouldn't be surprised it's so heavily monetized since it's f2p.

quote:

Click the small checkmark under your weapon on the character sheet to turn-off the weapon's appearance.

Wonderful, thanks.

quote:

There are weapon (and talisman) variations with small bonuses attached which drop from dungeon chests and, on rare occasion, from opening reward bags. The weapon silhouette will be different than the standard green weapons and simply equipping it once will unlock it in the Dressing Room. You can also check the auction house for cheap greens that have different designs. Naturally the blues and purples are going to be pricier there.

Can't seem to preview what weapons look like in the auction house, but the blood magic focus of destruction (bonus damage vs enemies under X percent of max health) I have seems perfectly fine.

Not sure I'm going to keep playing much with how regularly the game crashes (which I've narrowed down to being the Nvidia card problem), but beyond that, is there a particularly good way I should be spending my AP and SP? I've been spending all my AP on blood magic, going for the mastery bonus, and after I got all the SP talents for the blood magic powers I'm using, I've just been going for passive, plus dipping into the rifle tree to grab all the 5 SP stat boosts.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If I recall correctly, you should be able to preview all the available skins for the various weapons in the Dressing Room without unlocking them first.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
I've got an Nvidia card myself, and though I have crashed a few times, it doesn't seem to be as much as you are. No idea what to do since this is one of those "it's not happening to me" situations, sorry. To make it worse, if you notice on the launcher the last patch for the game was October of last year... so, yeah, not a priority with Funcom right now. Shame, though, cause even if updates were spread out, it'd show that somebody still cared over there.

The active weapon skills are split between Power (red name) and Special (blue name), with white names for Basic skills that can only be used with the Primary weapon. The far right are the Elite skills which are quite potent, so it's basically looking at everything and deciding what you're after. Eventually you'll get enough AP and SP to buy every active and passive skill, for every weapon (once you spend Marks to unlock them, of course). The passive skills to pick up should mainly be the ones that work with their matching active skill, though you might get a more general-effect passive if it does something you'd like.

Regarding your unused Assault Rifle, I'd put a single active skill in your tray, since you have Energy for two weapons. Even in the original game, if a player favored just one weapon, you'd stick a consumer skill (i.e. a skill that used up resources) for the other weapon just to fire it off as a "free" attack. AR has very good range, so you could drop a heavy hitting single target, or use the AoE for trash mobs, or even pick up a leech-healing attack, since AR is a "healing" weapon.

For the record, Assault Rifle, Fists, and Blood Magic are the healing weapons; Hammer, Chaos, and Shotgun are the tanking weapons; Pistols, Elementalism, and Blade are the DPS weapons. Of course, you can use whatever since the Roles are only needed for Elite Dungeons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What version dx are you running? If I set the game to the newer one it crashes almost immediately

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burnt Poffin posted:

Regarding your unused Assault Rifle, I'd put a single active skill in your tray, since you have Energy for two weapons. Even in the original game, if a player favored just one weapon, you'd stick a consumer skill (i.e. a skill that used up resources) for the other weapon just to fire it off as a "free" attack. AR has very good range, so you could drop a heavy hitting single target, or use the AoE for trash mobs, or even pick up a leech-healing attack, since AR is a "healing" weapon.

Does that work for AR? It looks like all the spender AR powers have a chance to load a grenade, which will hurt me if I don't spend a second slot on a grenade power to get rid of it.

I'm almost finished with Savage Coast, and currently have set up:

Active: Maleficium (primary single target), Dread Sigil (aoe), Torment (for if I'm out of energy), Reap (leech-healing), Rupture (stun), Sanguine Coalescence (panic button)

Passive: Absolution, Lingering Curse, Contaminate, Flay, Convergence

Len posted:

What version dx are you running? If I set the game to the newer one it crashes almost immediately

I have my drivers and whatnot set to auto-update and always use the latest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not the driver, in the settings it has a choice between I think DX9 and DX10. I've never had any luck with DX10 and have always had to run the game in DX9 or get random crashes

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Oh right, the grenades...

Most of the gimmicks of the various weapons can be either ignored or just dealt with by not spamming attacks for a couple seconds. The AR grenades? Yeah, there's a passive that will prevent you from taking damage, but that's a passive slot spent on something you don't even want in the first place.

I guess it's best to just spend 5K Marks on another weapon, which isn't hard, since doing all the daily challenges will rack up over 6K (more if you do bonus challenges).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cythereal posted:

Does that work for AR? It looks like all the spender AR powers have a chance to load a grenade, which will hurt me if I don't spend a second slot on a grenade power to get rid of it.

AR makes a pretty good secondary because of the grenades. You just have to devote two active slots to it. There's a guide over on SWL's forums with recommendations for actives and passives for almost any primary-secondary weapon pairing: https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881

If you're liking the ranged magical attacks, you might pick up Elementalism for your secondary and just wallop the enemy with Mjolnir whenever you've got the energy built up for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I'm having problems with the final fight of Dawning of an Endless Night. I have no problem getting him down to 75%, at which point he summons his dogs and I just... die. I'm not standing in anything, I just start hitting one of the dogs and lose all my health in about two seconds.

Anyone know what's happening?

Edit: If relevant, I have my anima allocation all in dps, and my gear is:

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 29, 2021

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Check the combat logs to see exactly what killed you, and make sure you don't have a skull icon at the bottom of your tray. That means you've died too much and have broken gear. Click the vertical bar next to the healing potion to refill your anima and make your gear normal again.

In the original version of the game, this fight was a bitch to a lot of players, including me. In fact, for one of my characters, I skipped him, went to Egypt, completed all the Main and side missions in both zones, before coming back to the fight with Rank 8 gear and smoked him. :P Of course, in this version of the game, you can't skip ahead.

Outside the fight area in the cave there's a flare gun on the ground. This is an interrupt attack which can stop any long-term-one-shot castings going on. For the filth dogs, use your healing potion, equip a heal or regen gadget, or use some healing ability from your assault rifle, and, of course, stay out of the filth AoE areas. After you manage to kill the two dogs, he'll summon two more later on, but at that point you can ignore the dogs and burn the boss down.

I notice you only have one talisman with three pips. It's not a big deal now, but the difference in stats from 1or 2 compared to 3 is significant once you're in the Epic or higher category. Check out the Auction House for any cheap/reasonably-priced three-pip talismans before upgrading your blues to purple (which you can't even do until lv50 anyways).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

How high is your corruption from blood magic getting? Are you still ignoring your secondary weapon? Blood magic is sort of complicated to do sustained dps with and Beaumont is a dps check.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I can't remember the Beaumont fight too well (and it's not one I can easily redo in game) but he's not casting some kind of power move when the dogs come out or anything is he?

edit: this was one of the few bits in TSW where I had to take over my wife's account to get her past and she thinks he might be casting a big spell at this point too

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jul 29, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Looks like it was my corruption getting to high that's doing it. And equipping two AR powers (burst fire and then incendiary grenade to clear the grenade thing) leaves me feeling like I don't have all the tools for blood magic I need for tough bosses.

I'll try this fight again when I get home from work tonight, but it's not worth putting another hour or two into. This game's been fun, but not fun enough to warrant slugging out a difficulty spike like this.

Worst case scenario, is there a very easy, beginner-friendly dps weapon and suggested kit of actives and passives I could try for to simplify this fight?

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 29, 2021

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
What does your blood build look like currently? There's an ability that resets your corruption level and heals you iirc.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pilchenstein posted:

What does your blood build look like currently? There's an ability that resets your corruption level and heals you iirc.

Yeah, Reap. Which I removed from my bar to fit AR stuff in.

Left mouse: Malificum (main single-target attack)
Right mouse: Incendiary Grenade (normally Dread Sigil but AoE isn't needed for this fight, gets rid of grenades)
Q: Torment (basic blood attack)
E: Burst Fire (AR spender)
1: Coalescence (the blood shield)
2: Rupture (stun and corruption reducer)

Passives are Flay, Convergence, Blood Flow, Stability, and Slow Burn (i.e. buffing all my active abilities).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally beat it. Elected to completely ignore the assault rifle and replaced the AR powers with Runic Hex and Sanctuary. Runic Hex and spamming Rupture kept my corruption under control and killed him.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Congrats!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
There's a reason I play shotgun/hammer in the LP and on my main.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And now that I've unlocked the last of the non-aurum sprint boosts, I'll unlock elementalism to toss in a spender for the elemental weapon I've been working on leveling up.

That's where all my marks of favor have been going, the sprint upgrades. They're pricey for marks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not that this is an active thread, but I think I'm almost done with Scorched Desert. Thoughts so far:

* I'm surprised it took until the Dragon act interlude to have a creepy haunted asylum mission. There was an asylum in Blue Mountain, but it was just more ak'ab.

* The text adventure game within a game quest was great.

* Said is fun, most entertaining character in the game so far.

* They aren't subtle about Khalid being Aaron, are they?

* The gay archaeologist couple are cute.

* Egypt in general feels a lot more vibrant than New England. Montag and Aimi were great characters in different ways, but New England was mostly bleak and dreary and everything is doomed. Egypt feels a lot more colorful, and not just in the zone design. The characters here feel a lot more alive and memorable.

* Still, credit where it's due, creepiest quests in the game so far were the Tyler Freeborn quests.

* I'm not bothering with grinding old areas for SP/AP and whatnot anymore. At this rate, I think there's a good chance that once I finish South Africa I'll just delete this character and start over as another faction. That seems to be the only replay value, and I'm not spending money on more character slots. Treating it as a single player game I can play with a new class seems like the better call.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Please come back with your opinions on the next zone

Also The Ankh is legitimately the best dungeon in the game

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

Also The Ankh is legitimately the best dungeon in the game

:agreed:

The Ankh might be my favorite dungeon in any MMO ever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hate everything about Facility from a mechanical standpoint but it's Lore is amazing and (old game unsure about current) it's Nightmare mechanic in fight 6 is so absolutely perfect.

Spoilers for the plot of that dungeon

It's an old Soviet research base where they made a basically a star child. They experimented on children by pumping them with filth and anima and only one survived to become a near god. The lore mentions at one point that she had a dog that was taken from her. In the last fight she gets a purple ball of death that's immortal and chases whoever was highest on the aggro table. It has the same name as her dog.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Just a mummy in a business suit and a member of an ancient Chinese anarchist terrorist cult in full uniform, talking about time travel and using it to prevent the end of the world.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rip aux weapon wheel and The Whip

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
God drat this game had the potential to be something amazing.

Despite all its failures and mismanagement, the original incarnation is still my favorite MMO...

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The Ankh was very good but Darkness War is the most memorable dungeon in ANY game

no matter what mmo you are playing, talking about Darkness War is the easiest way to instantly spot someone else that played Secret World

"so it's a native american dream sequence, right... where the mayans come and invade and you stop them with the power of your Viking friends and excalibur. also there is a dragon"

"how do you enter the dungeon?"

"you get REALLY loving high"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ad by Khad posted:

The Ankh was very good but Darkness War is the most memorable dungeon in ANY game

no matter what mmo you are playing, talking about Darkness War is the easiest way to instantly spot someone else that played Secret World

"so it's a native american dream sequence, right... where the mayans come and invade and you stop them with the power of your Viking friends and excalibur. also there is a dragon"

"how do you enter the dungeon?"

"you get REALLY loving high"

"So if you pick this one faction, you're transported to the tutorial dungeon by a prostitute sexually assaulting you and giving you an orgasm so intense your mind is transported to another dimension."