Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

DrDork posted:

[...] you just have to kinda admit to yourself before going in that there's almost no chance that whatever you're working on will see the light of day or ever actually make an impact anywhere. Just another boondoggle some excited C-suite dude decided they NEEDED to blow some money on to get investors excited or whatever.

Also known as "95% of software development projects at Google".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klyith posted:

Yes, with asterisks.

Secure boot is a bit meh -- it's not a ton of protection for a home user, and can get in the way of booting other OSes or utilities like memtest+ (the open source one, not the commercial one). I don't think there's been any big malware recently that used the boot sector as a method for attack, which is what secure boot would protect against. Some of them have trashed the MBR as a way to do more damage, but that's different. But if the only thing you're ever going to boot is windows, or a windows USB installer stick, you'll see zero difference with your system.

Core Isolation & Memory Integrity has performance drawbacks on CPUs older than intel 8th gen or AMD ryzen 2000 (desktop) / 3000 (mobile). It's a non-trivial hit, 10-20% or more for some particular tasks. This is the reason for the extremely small support list for Windows 11, MS wants to make it a standard feature. If you have a new PC it's good though.

If none of those asterisks are a big deal to you they're good to turn on, but they also aren't silver bullets.

e:

Any PC recent enough to meet the Core Isolation & Memory Integrity CPU requirements also has TPM 2.0 built into the chipset & CPU. You just need to turn it on in the BIOS.

OTOH turning on TPM does nothing if you're not using bitlocker on the system volume (or windows hello for business). It doesn't do much for malware security at all.

Thank you for the very thorough answer. She only uses Windows (I mentioned Linux to her and she said that she tried to use it and hated it because they didn't make it enough like Windows) and has a 2600X. I didn't realize that newer CPUs had a TPM built in, but my last training that mentioned them was 2014 or 2015 and I haven't worked with hardware since 2017 so I guess I'm behind the times.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ncweaver/status/1418578635347304452?s=20

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So, I am not 100% sure this would be the right thread, but gently caress it, when do I ever do anything right to begin with? :v:

Without going into too much detail, there is a website idea I want to do, but I am concerned about being SWATted, or some other insane person finding me.

How can I make it very hard, or impossible for someone to find out that I own/operate a domain?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, I am not 100% sure this would be the right thread, but gently caress it, when do I ever do anything right to begin with? :v:

Without going into too much detail, there is a website idea I want to do, but I am concerned about being SWATted, or some other insane person finding me.

How can I make it very hard, or impossible for someone to find out that I own/operate a domain?

Register it in someone elses name

Or, for a way that isn't in violation of the law, pay for one of the privacy guard services(i think all registrars offer this) that makes it so people have to actually call the registrar to get the info

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hrmm, I'll have to look into LLCs, I think, and/or a shell company.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Register it in someone elses name

I am not a lawyer, but I believe you could also register an LLC out of one of the various tax haven states [delaware,nevada,etc] as an anonymous owner and register the domain under that. Alternatively

RFC2324 posted:

pay for one of the privacy guard services(i think all registrars offer this) that makes it so people have to actually call the registrar to get the info

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For the full technical nitty-gritty of how these bugs worked, Crypto Museum has a full writeup.

https://www.cryptomuseum.com/covert/bugs/selectric/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Most registrars e.g. Namecheap offer free WHOISGuard forever due to the GDPR regulations or whatever. As mentioned, that makes it so that the records do not show any of your personal information, unless you register a TLD that has its own whois database and doesn't care about your privacy.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'd also weigh the risk of the potential threat actors against how much risk you're willing/able to mitigate.

Like if your goal is doxxing members of an aggressive group who own guns, the amount of care you'd want to put into making sure that you're unidentifiable is different than posting fursuit content.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alternately embrace and don’t be ashamed of the fursuit content :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mruef/status/1418693478574346242

So aside from being another trash platform, they've also just been hacked.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Do I wanna know what Clubhouse is?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Social media app, iPhone only, the platform is all speaking.

The leak is kinda crap tho. If it’s just rankings and phone numbers what’s different than just randomly calling numbers? Does it include any personal info? I didn’t see that in the leak.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Buff Hardback posted:

I'd also weigh the risk of the potential threat actors against how much risk you're willing/able to mitigate.

Like if your goal is doxxing members of an aggressive group who own guns, the amount of care you'd want to put into making sure that you're unidentifiable is different than posting fursuit content.
all internet trolls are aggressive groups who own guns, because swatting is a very real and active danger to anyone who does anything from playing videogames on-camera to happening to have picked up a "good" twitter handle like @tennassee

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The newest Darknet Diaries episode is about a guy getting harassed just for an Instagram handle.

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/97/

While you can protect your info with a domain reg, the company you host the site with it may or not disclose your info in a legal situation or even through social engineering.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bonzo posted:

The newest Darknet Diaries episode is about a guy getting harassed just for an Instagram handle.

https://darknetdiaries.com/episode/97/

While you can protect your info with a domain reg, the company you host the site with it may or not disclose your info in a legal situation or even through social engineering.

P sure they are required to in a legal situation, but if you are worried about someone looking you up to harass you thats not usually your threat model.

Social engineering maybe, buut is it a thing that actually happens?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
yes.

exes especially know a lot about you that they can leverage into getting information (like where you are currently, if you're trying to get away from them).

same for abusive family members.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Harik posted:

yes.

exes especially know a lot about you that they can leverage into getting information (like where you are currently, if you're trying to get away from them).

same for abusive family members.

Yep. I worked for a small hosting company in the early 00's and we had this happen often. Say a married couple run ThisIsOurBusiness.com. We'd get a call from one party asking to cancel the hosting account and all info like password and CC info is confirmed. A week later the other party calls wanting to know why the site was offline. We'd then find out that they were in the middle of a divorce/custody battle/caught in affair. But it was usually too late as we had removed all data from the server and they wouldn't have access to a backup.

Even if you've never had a social media account, your info such as address, people related to you, even people who used to be related to you (I divorced my 1st wife in 1998, never even seen her since then but her name shows up next to mine in general 411 info sites) if out there and can be used against you.

Considering everything is tied to your cell # now, it's incredibly easy to social engineer your way into someone's digital life.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bonzo posted:

Considering everything is tied to your cell # now, it's incredibly easy to social engineer your way into someone's digital life.

use google voice and let googles complete lack of customer service work in your favor for once

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
GVoice is only a minor layer of obfuscation at best, since the telcos happily sell name/number information to brokers and it's trivially obtainable because in that particular ecosystem the best players are absolute scumbags and it only gets worse each layer down.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

use google voice and let googles complete lack of customer service work in your favor for once

If only it was possible to not have a real phone number in your personal or professional life. Even if you somehow managed this, an attacker will go after a family member or anyone else close to you

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Plus, given Google's insistence on killing anything good, how long can Google voice possibly last.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CommieGIR posted:

Plus, given Google's insistence on killing anything good, how long can Google voice possibly last.

Ive been holding my breathe for at least 5 years expecting it to die.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

It's also US only.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Ive been holding my breathe for at least 5 years expecting it to die.

I know quite a few SOCs and Support Teams that use it for call routing for on call, so its going to be hilarious how many teams they accidentally break if they do.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For identity protection, would there be any value in setting up an LLC, and having that entity own the domain and pay for the hosting? Business stuff makes my eyes glaze over but I think some US states don't require a business to make its ownership details public.

e: vvvv Totally missed that this was already suggested, apologies.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 25, 2021

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Powered Descent posted:

For identity protection, would there be any value in setting up an LLC, and having that entity own the domain and pay for the hosting? Business stuff makes my eyes glaze over but I think some US states don't require a business to make its ownership details public.

Yeah, that was mentioned almost immediately, and is actually probably the best solution

Trying to find a different solution is a fun exercise tho

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Is there a good reason that antivirus/malware systems couldn't defend against ransomware by tripping If all of a sudden a program starts sequentially altering (encrypting) ever byte in a filesystem?

Or do some systems already do this?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

cr0y posted:

Is there a good reason that antivirus/malware systems couldn't defend against ransomware by tripping If all of a sudden a program starts sequentially altering (encrypting) ever byte in a filesystem?

Or do some systems already do this?

there are several that do, some though, like Sophos, sell it as an add-on product

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Windows Defender has ransomware protection / Controlled Folder Access, which is just a blunt access control for writes to folders limited to an exe whitelist.

But it's the same problem as all virus protection -- if the malware has system access to disable it, it doesn't matter what protection method you use.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's like that prodigy song, "back your poo poo up"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah safe to assume if it's ransomware half worth it's salt, it'll disable the anti-malware first

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

it's like that prodigy song, "back your poo poo up"
How did you make my speakers suddenly play a distorted guitar sound? Are you hacking me? You have to tell me if you're hacking me!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah safe to assume if it's ransomware half worth it's salt, it'll disable the anti-malware first

It's worth remembering that nowadays if the victim is big enough the ransomware crews actually are manually active on a the victim's network, sometimes for weeks, before finally deploying the final ransomware. They use that time to recon the network, determine which endpoint security is running, which other security products might get in their way and how to avoid them, how to remain undetected until it's too late, how to sabotage backups, etc. Ransomware is a multi million dollar industry and over the last 5 or 10 years or so they've really professionalized.

Of course regular drive-by ransomware still exists and you might be lucky enough to be able to catch those with behavioral heuristics like that but I wouldn't bet on it. All it takes is one host that doesn't have that particular setting enabled for whatever reason and still have access to the network folders and you're still hosed.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I often listen to the Risky Business podcast, and every so often the guy behind thinkst canary is on the show. How well do canaries work in the real world? Perhaps not surprisingly, there's not too many people shouting about finding out their network is being owned...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Any y'all heading out to hacker summer camp this week?

FYI: Black hat is doing free business hall passes for defcon attendees if you're already registered. Doesn't look like Rapid7 is doing any parties, but there's a bunch of other vendors hosting stuff.

Blue team village released all their workshop signups, and they're all virtual this year. Some good stuff on malware deobfuscation and windows forensics.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

America is insane for having in-person conferences right now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well, I'll be masked and vaxxed, so :shrug:

Wouldn't really be so much of a problem if it weren't for the chuds scared of needles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

CLAM DOWN posted:

yea