Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ok, family picture. Everybody smile!

They look really cool man and I like that alfa that just out of shot. I have a pair of the xanavi/motul Nissans that I've finished but one is a 350Z based car and the other is the R35 version. I've probably got enough red and silver kicking around to do at least one more car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

They look really cool man and I like that alfa that just out of shot. I have a pair of the xanavi/motul Nissans that I've finished but one is a 350Z based car and the other is the R35 version. I've probably got enough red and silver kicking around to do at least one more car.

Thanks dude. Unfortunately, the roof antennas and the grille logo decal didn't survive when I moved a couple years back but I really like the Alfa as well.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Yeah I need to see if I can score myself one of those kits from the model shop near work cause they had a stack of them last time I was in. Problem at the moment is we are in lockdown for covid and its not as fun buying stuff online and they don't have a website so it's email then wait for a reply

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is that a pair of Superbirds I spy on the lower shelf?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

The finish of one project and the beginning of another. I managed to get the Nissian fairlady 240ZG finished last night and I quite like how it turned out. The paint work isn't perfectly shiny but I think it fits the time period when the car first came out so it stays. It's also my first time polishing tamiya spray without clear coating it first. The pics are below:

That 240Z looks great. I haven't made much progress on mine. Part of the reason is because I got a set of Watanabe wheels from Fujimi and the rears are WIDE. Like it's going to take some serious modification to the chassis to make them fit and I'm not sure how well I'll be able to do it and I don't want to completely ruin the kit. Maybe I'll just stick with the stock wheels for now. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

That 240Z looks great. I haven't made much progress on mine. Part of the reason is because I got a set of Watanabe wheels from Fujimi and the rears are WIDE. Like it's going to take some serious modification to the chassis to make them fit and I'm not sure how well I'll be able to do it and I don't want to completely ruin the kit. Maybe I'll just stick with the stock wheels for now. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks man. They might fit behind the fender flares cause on mine the wheels sit a fair way in and probably didn't need them tbh.

Further progress on the amg GT3 while the never ending lockdown for Sydney continues. The SK decals I bought to do this kit really are lovely to work with and I believe they also make all of the decals for the Platz NuNu kits which is how they manage to have a large number of different versions of the same kit. Decals are now finished so I'll leave it in the box till the weekend for the decals to dry properly before I do a coat of clear.

Click for massive.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SkunkDuster posted:

Is that a pair of Superbirds I spy on the lower shelf?

Superbird on the left, Daytona on the right. Annoying part about the 'Bird kit is that the manufacturer apparently didn't get the rights from Warner Brothers so there are no Road Runner logos anywhere on the car.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Thanks man. They might fit behind the fender flares cause on mine the wheels sit a fair way in and probably didn't need them tbh.

Further progress on the amg GT3 while the never ending lockdown for Sydney continues. The SK decals I bought to do this kit really are lovely to work with and I believe they also make all of the decals for the Platz NuNu kits which is how they manage to have a large number of different versions of the same kit. Decals are now finished so I'll leave it in the box till the weekend for the decals to dry properly before I do a coat of clear.

Click for massive.

Very well done on this, I'm not sure I could ever imagine attempting such a complicated livery. And the 240ZG looks fantastic too, you may have convinced me to pick one up for myself once 'the pile' has subsided somewhat.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You can almost hear the angry tears of motorsports governing bodies. :allears: R31 or R35 next?

I've completely finished my Pz.IV F now and I did a very simple paint job on a Tamiya Pz.II F/G for the 50th anniversary. (As well as a tiny papercraft KV-1 I found in a magazine)

With these and a half done Tiger, the shelf was starting to look somewhat Teutonic though so I wanted to get something a little less politically charged. What I ended up with was the FineMolds Type 61 and the amazing Tamiya R32 GT-R.

I chose the GT-R because I actually used to have the same model before and despite being from 1989 I think it may be one of the best sports car models Tamiya have ever released. It was my first Tamiya car model and completely ruined everything I bought afterwards for me.

The Type 61 though I didn't really know much about beforehand. I was interested in getting a FineMolds kit because I hadn't tried them before and being an all Japanese brand it seemed like a fairly safe buy, but it turns out it's actually a pretty interesting subject. It's Japan's first post-war tank and it was objectively out of date by the time it was released. They shared information with the Western Bloc though, so they knew it was under spec and they wanted to make something better but US sanctions meant they had been unable to produce military equipment for around 10 years and heavy industries had atrophied as a result so this tank was literally their only option if they didn't want to rely on imports.

The kit itself is fantastic on detail. Every little rivet, grab handle and mystery pokey outey bit is accounted for and the thickness on some of the parts is just completely impractical. Like I'm surprised they managed to get the tiny pieces out of the mold without breaking anything. Unfortunately the fit on the larger pieces isn't as good. It appears that they don't have slide molds so the hull is all long flat panels with a brace in the middle, so even a normal amount of in-box warpage makes things a pain to get straight without any gaps. Overall it was a fairly stressful build but the results should be very good.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Very well done on this, I'm not sure I could ever imagine attempting such a complicated livery. And the 240ZG looks fantastic too, you may have convinced me to pick one up for myself once 'the pile' has subsided somewhat.
Thanks man. I've ramped up the complexity over time and after masking and painting each of the different colours on the 787B kit I don't find them too bad these days... there was also the snake skin liveried AMG that I did last year where most of the scheme was super thin decals and they all seem somewhat straight forward now.

The 240ZG is a worthy kit and honestly slots together beautifully.

RillAkBea posted:

I've completely finished my Pz.IV F now and I did a very simple paint job on a Tamiya Pz.II F/G for the 50th anniversary. (As well as a tiny papercraft KV-1 I found in a magazine)

With these and a half done Tiger, the shelf was starting to look somewhat Teutonic though so I wanted to get something a little less politically charged. What I ended up with was the FineMolds Type 61 and the amazing Tamiya R32 GT-R.

I chose the GT-R because I actually used to have the same model before and despite being from 1989 I think it may be one of the best sports car models Tamiya have ever released. It was my first Tamiya car model and completely ruined everything I bought afterwards for me.

The Type 61 though I didn't really know much about beforehand. I was interested in getting a FineMolds kit because I hadn't tried them before and being an all Japanese brand it seemed like a fairly safe buy, but it turns out it's actually a pretty interesting subject. It's Japan's first post-war tank and it was objectively out of date by the time it was released. They shared information with the Western Bloc though, so they knew it was under spec and they wanted to make something better but US sanctions meant they had been unable to produce military equipment for around 10 years and heavy industries had atrophied as a result so this tank was literally their only option if they didn't want to rely on imports.

The kit itself is fantastic on detail. Every little rivet, grab handle and mystery pokey outey bit is accounted for and the thickness on some of the parts is just completely impractical. Like I'm surprised they managed to get the tiny pieces out of the mold without breaking anything. Unfortunately the fit on the larger pieces isn't as good. It appears that they don't have slide molds so the hull is all long flat panels with a brace in the middle, so even a normal amount of in-box warpage makes things a pain to get straight without any gaps. Overall it was a fairly stressful build but the results should be very good.
I like the tank kits man and I'm sure the GT-R kit will slot together but not quite with the ease of tamiya's shiny new offering.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That's really interesting, regarding the FineMolds tank. I've got a couple of their planes in the backlog and they seem excellently detailed, though of course building them would rely on me getting off my rear end and getting to work. I've been wondering about their armor models, but there's never been one out there that's particularly called to me.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

That's really interesting, regarding the FineMolds tank. I've got a couple of their planes in the backlog and they seem excellently detailed, though of course building them would rely on me getting off my rear end and getting to work. I've been wondering about their armor models, but there's never been one out there that's particularly called to me.

Yeah, they almost exclusively produce IJA/IJN stuff but it looks like they've been branching out more on the plane side of things so perhaps there's some hope for the future.

It wasn't a particularly bad build though, just not quite as considerate to the builder as stuff like Tamiya. It was very much "here's where all the parts go, you make it work".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

RillAkBea posted:

The KV-1 looks to be the correct scale for an identification training model in 1:35th scale. Just add a confused looking guy comparing it to the instructions.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting my The Great diorama from the historicals thread.

Leading the charge are supposed to be Valementov and Orlo, given the limitations of the scale I think I did alright.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Lovely work! Is that 15mm? They look fantastic!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
28 mm

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

RillAkBea posted:

You can almost hear the angry tears of motorsports governing bodies. :allears: R31 or R35 next?

There's actually a different R34, an R35, a 350Z, and a Primera in the Tamiya Calsonic collection. Will I do the rest of them? Eh, maybe eventually. For now, I've got a bit of a crapkit in the form of a '69 Torino that I still need to button up and put in the case.

I've done 2 versions of their R32 kit (NISMO custom edition and the Calsonic) and they're both based on that base kit that you bought. It is indeed a wonderful kit like most Tamiya fare.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Got one of those tiny Stonehenge kits, decided to mess around. I like this fake grass stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Noooo! You murdered that Micro Machine!

That looks great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Noooo! You murdered that Micro Machine!

That looks great.

Thank you!

..I only stuck it on with double-sided tape so I can rescue it in the future.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Got one of those tiny Stonehenge kits, decided to mess around. I like this fake grass stuff.

I think I have one of these somewhere, but if I don't, I now want to get a new one and build the spaceship from Timelike Infinity

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Another update on the AMG. Managed to get the clear coat on after work yesterday and then masked up the car for the black window surrounds and a couple of other bits this morning. I'm pretty happy with how its come together and apart from the cockpit I don't have huge amounts left to go. I have a feeling the sydney lockdown is going to continue for quite some time so I might need to order another kit shortly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

More 1/144s.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

More 1/144s.

I *love* that orange nose pattern! Is that based on a real pattern that got used?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sure is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HopperUK posted:

I *love* that orange nose pattern! Is that based on a real pattern that got used?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

quote:

Personal aircraft of Capt Amos H Bomberger II.

Oh come on.

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

grassy gnoll posted:

More 1/144s.

Beautiful job!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Unkempt posted:

Oh come on.

Haha apparently he took the name Carolyn off the plane later because they broke up

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Corrigenda posted:

Beautiful job!

Thanks!

Eduard seems to make a point of picking pretty great schemes like this, or the literal cartoon wolf head on the P-47 going "Awooooooo" all the way down the fuselage. If anybody's interested in more colorful or characterful warbirds, their kits and/or decal sets are a good place to start.

Also, I'm sure as hell not painting those lozenges by hand in 1/144 shut up sym

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

Also, I'm sure as hell not painting those lozenges by hand in 1/144 shut up sym

Mods???

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I think I hosed up. Primed a model, sprayed some rust colors on it, and applied chipping fluid directly over top without varnishing the rust layer first. Can I let it sit overnight, give it a varnish coat, and then do the chipping fluid again or did I just play myself horribly?

Also I did not realize the chipping medium was so thick, it's spitting like an angry Texan at 40psi.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Vorenus posted:

I think I hosed up. Primed a model, sprayed some rust colors on it, and applied chipping fluid directly over top without varnishing the rust layer first. Can I let it sit overnight, give it a varnish coat, and then do the chipping fluid again or did I just play myself horribly?

Also I did not realize the chipping medium was so thick, it's spitting like an angry Texan at 40psi.

this should be fine? you should only be using water on the chipping coat anyway, the rust paint should hang on fine.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
According to google, a lot of people have issues (esp. with Vallejo chipping fluid) where they go to chip and the fluid takes off the top layer, the base coat, and even the primer. Just making sure I don't run into the same issue.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Vorenus posted:

According to google, a lot of people have issues (esp. with Vallejo chipping fluid) where they go to chip and the fluid takes off the top layer, the base coat, and even the primer. Just making sure I don't run into the same issue.

That honestly sounds to me like they were being really aggressive with their chipping, or there was something wrong with all the layers. Vallejo isn't the toughest paint at the best of times, and depending on conditions it's relatively easy to end up with a coat that looks fine but... isn't.

The problem I've had with Vallejo chipping goo is that it can come off in bigger bits than I intend.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've always gone with an aerosol bottle of hairspray. Ready to go at anytime, no setup or cleanup, comes out as a fine mist spray, gives excellent results, and a large can will last a long time.

The actual hobby chipping fluids have too many caveats.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I've always gone with an aerosol bottle of hairspray. Ready to go at anytime, no setup or cleanup, comes out as a fine mist spray, gives excellent results, and a large can will last a long time.

The actual hobby chipping fluids have too many caveats.

So you have a preferred brand?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So you have a preferred brand?

I have a big can of Aussie Naturals, but just about anything in an aerosol bottle should work.

Edit: Wait... they're just called Aussie now? And Aussie Naturals is now a dog toy store? Not sure what happened there.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Anyone have experience recreating sun damage? I'm putting together a Ford Ranger and trying a bunch of weathering techniques for the first time. Been able to find lots of tutorials on rust, dents, etc. but can't find anything specifically to replicate sun damage.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Before:

After:

This is the Italeri 1:72 scale Blackbird. Not a great kit, but not bad if you don't mind the instructions being kinda poo poo and the decals not being numbered. It's pretty fricking big though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

Smoke posted:

Before:

After:

This is the Italeri 1:72 scale Blackbird. Not a great kit, but not bad if you don't mind the instructions being kinda poo poo and the decals not being numbered. It's pretty fricking big though.

That is really cool. Always loved the Blackbird.