Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

I honestly don't know why the other supporters are considered supporters, honestly. Neither of them have heals or team shields except in their ult as far as I know, and not much in the way of support buffs either. They've got CC and walls, but you see that in defenders and attackers too, like Crustle and Ninetails. I would have thought Wigglytuff would have been a defender with the kit she has, but maybe she doesn't have enough health to make the cut? And Mr. Mime is kind of a weird attacker type that can make walls and do AOE damage and steal enemy pokemon's defense? IDK. Eldegoss is the only pokemon that really seems like a support, currently.

(e: also wigglytuff is weird looking I wanted to be jigglypuff and they goddamn well know it, they should have just ignored her evolutions like pikachu.)

Traditionally, a MOBA support would be someone who is strong early game and can "support" their carries to get them to the point where they wreck face.

Honestly it feels like the biggest traditional supports in the game are pokémon like A-Ninetales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seńor!
Tried out Cinderace. Did poorly. Of course ended up MVP carry. That post lvl7 snowball is no joke.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Wigglytuff is extremely strong early-game and is basically built to help an attacker get leveled fast so they can carry the later game where Wigglytuff falls off quite a bit aside from utility. The shield ult is great if a Gengar or Zeraora tries to dive in to delete someone because it also clears debuffs and gives immunity to crowd control. On top of that, the passive taunt combined with a small stun every third auto-attack make Wigglytuff really sneaky disruptive even aside from Sing.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

4v4 quick matches are surprisingly fun. 5 minute rocket tag. Hard to get mad at a loss over a game that quick.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Cinderace does great unless you run into an absurdly good Gengar

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Nybble posted:

Even then, if you're really careful, Cinderace can totally win that matchup. Feint can be used to dodge both Sludge Bomb and Hex, and if he misses one of those two he doesn't get to instagib you. Same with Flame Kick, it's got a fair number of i-frames on it so if you use it even after getting hit by the Sludge, you can use it to not get hit by Hex which will prevent the cooldown reduction and he has to restart the combo, which takes eight seconds and by that time you can usually chunk him down

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I usually don't have trouble getting at least one MVP a day, so of course the day I need a MVP for my daily and am sitting at 5/6 MVPs for weekly is the day it takes me ~20 attempts to get one.

Probably doesn't help I only had a few games where I was actually any good, I was pretty lovely but luckily I had good teammates to win most of my matches, and I was competent enough to not lose it for my team (other than arguably the match that my team lost by four points, that one was likely my fault).

On the other hand I had a full match where my team scored over 1k, even our lowest-scoring player more than doubled the score of their entire team. That match owned, of course.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pro tip, you can get extra 20 coins a day by checking your profile from the fair play tab.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Nybble posted:

JFC Cinderace deleting most challengers with his flaming soccer ball is so satisfying after emerging from my shell of meek ranged attackers.

Tell me Machamp and its Suplex Mode is this fun.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Submission into cross chop is incredibly fun

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I’m really enjoying this game. I feel like playing as Cinderace is almost cheating since I can delete most objectives and other pogeymans

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

they ran a poll in japan last year that had the following top 15

i feel like they definitely referenced this poll cause of the top 10 they're all in except the eons, rayquaza, and mimikyu. the eons are a case where they probably have to figure out how theyre gonna handle eevee gameplay-wise, they don't seem to want to put in legendaries (yet, anyway), so its really only mimikyu who got snubbed.

Also tyranny and whatever a toxitricity ia

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Acerbatus posted:

a toxitricity ia

It'd a Punk Rock Poison/ Electric lizard man that plays air guitar with its belly scales.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have no respect for the Japanese and their Espeon-snubbing ways.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I have no respect for the Japanese but that's because of my staggering racism.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bought Eldegoss and played a couple of games as them... I think the main problem here, is that playing as Eldegoss means you kinda have to depend on your teammates more. And I absolutely, 100% cannot depend on my teammates in these random ranked games, so I end up feeling very ineffectual. It's not like I can stop 2-3 enemies from continually scoring when none of my buddies are around... not that I can stop that amount of enemies as an attacker or defender either, but I feel like in those roles I have a bit more autonomy. As Eldegoss though, I'm only as good as the teammates I'm supporting...

Also, you can't target allies with Pollen Puff? Makes it kinda hard to heal your allies then!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Bought Eldegoss and played a couple of games as them... I think the main problem here, is that playing as Eldegoss means you kinda have to depend on your teammates more. And I absolutely, 100% cannot depend on my teammates in these random ranked games, so I end up feeling very ineffectual. It's not like I can stop 2-3 enemies from continually scoring when none of my buddies are around... not that I can stop that amount of enemies as an attacker or defender either, but I feel like in those roles I have a bit more autonomy. As Eldegoss though, I'm only as good as the teammates I'm supporting...

Also, you can't target allies with Pollen Puff? Makes it kinda hard to heal your allies then!
Try Leaf Tornado with Cotton Guard and you'll be able to do more on your own.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I manually target pollen puff with the right stick and try to drop it on people since most players avoid it. But for whatever reason the game will always autotarget it towards an enemy.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Did you turn off auto-target?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
The bird is really good at countering damage just due to the amount of displacement he has in his kit.

I have no idea what their idea of Expert is other than being able to delete Pokemon with a full combo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Talonflame basically can't go to the lane against someone competent and will also crumble if they have to go against someone with CC like Machamp, so in that sense they're very difficult compared to all the characters where you can just faceroll your buttons and still end up with an even winrate, like Machamp or Snorlax or Ninetails

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Oh woops. I meant the one with the fish in his mouth. He's a little poo poo and its great.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cramorant.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I went looking on Youtube for ranked advice and it seems like there's a lot of 'master level' players contradicting each other at the moment. It's not too surprising because I guess the meta is still evolving and I don't know what kind of population this game has yet at the top end, but I did come across someone who I know is a good MOBA player : FanHOTS.

He's a former HotS pro I used to watch pretty often, and it turns out he's been doing a HotS/Pokemon Unite split on his stream lately. He was running a 5-stack with some of his HotS buddies for a while today and some of the comments he made were pretty interesting, like how he's hardly seen Gengar at all at Masters because he's too easy to counter with CC.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Man they really have to reduce the timer for AI characters to kick in. Ended up with two of them following me and almost won, but the few minutes without help or leveling did not help at all.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I've been seeing a lot of blog posts about how this game is crazy with AI bots, not like people cheating, but the game wanting to keep queue timers down so it just puts you into games with 5 humans v 5 bots. I've noticed a few games that were just one sided stomps even at relatively higher level of ranked matches, clearly something is up.

The bots always do the same thing, they fight any creeps they find, and if there's none they run down lane and try to score, if you run into them they basically stand still and auto attack, and then when they get low they just turn around and go back.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've been seeing a lot of blog posts about how this game is crazy with AI bots, not like people cheating, but the game wanting to keep queue timers down so it just puts you into games with 5 humans v 5 bots. I've noticed a few games that were just one sided stomps even at relatively higher level of ranked matches, clearly something is up.

The bots always do the same thing, they fight any creeps they find, and if there's none they run down lane and try to score, if you run into them they basically stand still and auto attack, and then when they get low they just turn around and go back.

I think it's been mentioned before but it seems like the game will put you into a vs bots game if you lose 3 times in a row

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

It's getting hard to get wins in ranked now as a solo queue player. You definitely tell when you are up against a five or three stack as the coordination is so much higher. Would love to find some teammates.

I don't know how this game hosts it's matches but I never have better than two bars of 'signal' here in Melbourne. I am guessing I am connecting to games in Asia, for sure seeing a lot of Asian names in my games.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've kind of stopped playing non-ranked modes and I don't see bots anymore unless I lose three in a row, yeah. Normal matchmaking and low-level ranked mode seemed totally rife with them though, it was really annoying

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I absolutely got a bot match in ranked after losing 3. There are a lot of flags but the one that stuck out to me the most is they surrendered the moment we took an inner goal and they had none.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Phrosphor posted:

It's getting hard to get wins in ranked now as a solo queue player. You definitely tell when you are up against a five or three stack as the coordination is so much higher. Would love to find some teammates.

I don't know how this game hosts it's matches but I never have better than two bars of 'signal' here in Melbourne. I am guessing I am connecting to games in Asia, for sure seeing a lot of Asian names in my games.

I think we're connecting to Singapore, which does suck but I still find it pretty playable. Hopefully we'll get Sydney servers (every game server seems to be run out of Sydney here) when the mobile version goes live in September, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

SettingSun posted:

I absolutely got a bot match in ranked after losing 3. There are a lot of flags but the one that stuck out to me the most is they surrendered the moment we took an inner goal and they had none.

Yeah, the moment you get a 300+ lead a bot team will surrender. Scoring quickly is the only way to end the suffering early.

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

https://unite.pokemon.com/en-us/news/pokemon-unite-game-update/

some balance changes just announced, pretty expected mostly but everything is really loving vague like everything on a nintendo console, like

quote:

Hex
Move Downgrade

lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Nice, some Charizard buffs!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Trying to get into Expert League, and the guy spamming he wants to go center switches from Zeraora to Crustle at the last minute. Contributes nothing. No one wants to go to Zapdos despite me pinging it, so me and Charizard hang out nearby and try to steal it and fail, and then they dunk 500 points in the last minute and win by 400 or so. Okay, so I win another game, next round everyone's got attackers so I pick Eldergoss, walk bot lane with Absol and Charizard only to find out neither one of them plans on splitting off into the jungle. I grab some camps and actually gank successfully but everyone is getting poo poo on anywhere that I'm not and we surrender at 5 minutes.

I guess I only wasted 45 minutes instead of 2+ hours like I would in League of Legends, but man I'm remembering why ranked is always such a pain in the rear end. Is there a discord or something where we can queue with other goons?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I just tried a few games tonight and its clear nobody read anything about the patch notes because everyone is just doing the exact same thing as before, games seemed incredibly bad. Gonna probably just not play for a few days until people figure it out

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Well the game hasn't been patched yet so it's not really a surprise people are still running around infinity-hexing whole teams

Good to see Charizard get some love, hopefully it doesn't create a late-game monster. As for ranked, people are massively stupid all the way up into Veteran and even Ultra. It gets better and your RNG on getting a stubborn or stupid teammate gets better, but it still happens. Expert though is excruciating.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Cinderace
The following stats have been decreased:

Attack

these patch notes are amazing.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Pokémon Unite: Move Increase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

the japanese notes are straight up better for some reason?

https://www.pokemonunite.jp/ja/news/15/

The amount of damage done to the opponent's Pokemon has been reduced, and the invincibility time when activated has been reduced.

for hex, for example