Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lotus Aura posted:

??? Pins evolve like normal, but the catch is they need to be equipped to specific people when mastered to evolve.

Does that include Sho or any other party members that are presumably going to swap out as the game goes on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I legit think there's no reason not to focus on sidequests as soon as the day starts. At bare, bare minimum you're looking at more FP, and it's sorta often that you'll carve out the path to a really beefy buff like extra uber pins or stuff that affects the noise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Regalingualius posted:

Does that include Sho or any other party members that are presumably going to swap out as the game goes on?

Yeah. Sho only has 2 mutations, but everyone else has 3 or 4.

Larryb posted:

Thanks, is the second one (meaning the first multi-wield) a sidequest or something you get unlock automatically via story progression? Because that sounds incredibly useful to me (like being able to use both an attack pin and a healing pin simultaneously)

Both multi-wields are story based.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

Yeah. Sho only has 2 mutations, but everyone else has 3 or 4.

Both multi-wields are story based.

Excellent, thank you

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 1, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm actually wondering about one thing (mechanic spoilers I guess) Is the 300% Fusion drop rate up additive or multiplicative to the total drop rate bonus from chaining and levelling down? Because I got Sukukichi's Ultimate pin (which turned out to be the electric hog one but better) the time I tried and I wanted to know if I got lucky on a 24% drop rate or it upped it to a 72% rate.

Also nice tip for farming: game always auto saves after a battle, and reloading a save respawns all noise in the area. All of them. So you can just load autosave after clearing out and not have to move and such.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

According to the social network I apparently missed a link with Tsugumi on W2D1 that grants me a multi wield. Where is she and will I lose my progress on the current day if I return after jumping back?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nah, you got that; you can't miss it. The issue is you can't unlock it until it's connected to the rest of the grid.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The only nods you can miss are the ones related to sidequests, specially since some sidequests are locked behind having done others. So every day you should check up sidequests and go do them ASAP before the game doesn't let you go to their areas.

Also, even after getting VIP Level 3 for shopkeepers you have to visit them to unlock the node: this can happen if you level your VIP in battle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

Nah, you got that; you can't miss it. The issue is you can't unlock it until it's connected to the rest of the grid.

Good to know, initially I thought the date underneath the character name was the date you had to do their particular quest on.

Though just curious in regards to the second part, if you go back to a previous day in the middle of a mission do you have to start your current day from the beginning or can you pick up right where you left off?

Despite there being others that deal more damage, Honor and Sacrifice still seems like the overall best Lance pin so far (though is it better suited for Rindo or Fret)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 1, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Larryb posted:

Though just curious in regards to the second part, if you go back to a previous day in the middle of a mission do you have to start your current day from the beginning or can you pick up right where you left off?
Picks up the story exactly where you left off, thankfully. It even remembers which street you were on when you left.

Is it me or does ATK Boost on threads not actually DO anything? My stats don't change, it's not in the list of active outfit effects and even with a full set the Noise seem like they're all taking too long to actually whittle down. My guys' DEF is sitting at about twice where their ATK is at.

e: Come to think of it, the ATK stat is conspicuously missing from every shirt/pants

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 1, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Nameless Pete posted:

Picks up the story exactly where you left off, thankfully. It even remembers which street you were on when you left.

Is it me or does ATK Boost on threads not actually DO anything? My stats don't change, it's not in the list of active outfit effects and even with a full set the Noise seem like they're all taking too long to actually whittle down. My guys' DEF is sitting at about twice where their ATK is at.

ATK Boost does actually do something, though it's limited to whoever wears it. The game pretty aggressively floors and ceilings damage—what's your party's specific ATK, what pins are you using, where are you in the story?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I beat the game last night, so it wasn't insurmountable or anything. But even the "Attack Boost" auto style leaves Rindo with 410 ATK and 804 DEF, which looks wrong even if it's intentional.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So besides pin mutation, does it matter at all who uses what pin type? Like is someone better with some types or something?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Supremezero posted:

So besides pin mutation, does it matter at all who uses what pin type? Like is someone better with some types or something?

No.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I keep my aoe push back on Nagi because I like the way she says "Hie thee HENCE," but if you put a charge move on her she says "Face erasure" which is goddamn cold when we're fighting the other teams during a Scramble Slam.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doesn’t Fret give an attack and speed boost to any pin he has equipped? That’s what it says on the ability list at least, I think the others besides Rindo get some extra bonuses as well.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Doesn’t Fret give an attack and speed boost to any pin he has equipped? That’s what it says on the ability list at least, I think the others besides Rindo get some extra bonuses as well.

...No? Where are you reading that, I haven't seen that anywhere. I'll freely admit I could be missing something, but that's new to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

...No? Where are you reading that, I haven't seen that anywhere. I'll freely admit I could be missing something, but that's new to me.

In the Pins section press whatever passes for the start button when a pin is highlighted (so Options in the case of the PS4 version) to see a list of abilities it has (such as team bonuses like being able to see the timer or enemy HP as well as some individual bonuses for the team member that has it equipped).

The prompt is literally shown to you on the bottom right corner of the screen.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 1, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

In the Pins section press whatever passes for the start button when a pin his highlighted (so Options in the case of the PS4 version) to see a list of abilities it has (such as team bonuses like being able to see the timer or enemy HP as well as some individual bonuses for the team member that has it equipped). The prompt is literally shown to you on the bottom right corner of the screen.

That's for abilities from equipped pins and from equipment, not passively from characters. "Attack and speed boost" sounds a lot like the ensemble effect for the Tenka pins.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Good grief, some of these later pig encounters get sadistic. I nearly ran out of time dealing with that one encounter with several blue and red pigs along with that exploding pig.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

That's for abilities from equipped pins and from equipment, not passively from characters. "Attack and speed boost" sounds a lot like the ensemble effect for the Tenka pins.

That’s what I was talking about, yes. The ability list for Fret on most pins says Attack +5.0 and Speed Boost (there are also abilities listed for Nagi underneath that which seem to vary depending on the pin). Though I could be misunderstanding it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 1, 2021

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Check the symbol to the left of the ability. That tells you its source.

Araxxor posted:

Good grief, some of these later pig encounters get sadistic. I nearly ran out of time dealing with that one encounter with several blue and red pigs along with that exploding pig.

The ones that I find the most awful/mean-spirited are the ones that have multiple pigs that each require a specific affinity and are very, very tight on time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Are there any pigs that require “meta” ways to defeat them? Like that one in the original TWEWY’s DS version where you had to actually close and reopen your DS while the game was running.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Regalingualius posted:

Are there any pigs that require “meta” ways to defeat them? Like that one in the original TWEWY’s DS version where you had to actually close and reopen your DS while the game was running.

No.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
A translator snuck in a Mean Girls reference. One of the social network bios describes the Variabeauties as "too glib to function."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Nope. The only puzzle aspects they use are various parts of the battle system. Nothing like having to put the system into sleep mode or blowing into a microphone.

Also unlike in the original game, I haven't encountered a noise that absorbs or nullifies elements, aside from that one type of Pig Noise. Seems like damage is either neutral or weak. Some noises do have invulnerability, but that's tied to something else. Like the rhinos being invincible from the front.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love the way the landscape and architecture distorts while you run around Shibuya. The way the buildings loom and curve over you, the entire city engulfing you.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

YggiDee posted:

I love the way the landscape and architecture distorts while you run around Shibuya. The way the buildings loom and curve over you, the entire city engulfing you.

The way they recreated that effect in 3D is super cool, yeah.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And while the lower frame rate on Switch doesn't bother me too much, the times it manages to output 60 FPS for the game looks rather fluid and great in motion.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Halfway through week 2 and I think the only boss noise that hasn't shown up again is the Gorilla. So if you want his pins I think you might need to replay Day 2 but that's it so far.

The gorilla noise appears to be the only boss noise without a mook version yeah. It's grouped with the other special boss encounters instead of the noises. I guess it makes sense given that it's the only noise type that specifically interacts with the arena (climbing up the 104 building.) Its drops aren't worth replaying the chapter for at any rate unless you flat out missed its drop altogether. Even then I think you can just buy that pin later? Normal and hard drops the Grin Reaper, while Easy drops a 1,000 yen pin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So as not to make W2D2 any longer than it needs to be, are you supposed to go to 104, Center Street, or Hikarie after going back in time (or do you need to ultimately check all 3)?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

So as not to make W2D2 any longer than it needs to be, are you supposed to go to 104, Center Street, or Hikarie after going back in time (or do you need to ultimately check all 3)?

It doesn't matter and you have to do all 3 options, yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

It doesn't matter and you have to do all 3 options, yes.

Good to know, thanks

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also does Beat have a new VA in this game (he sounded a bit different from the original and Dream Drop Distance)?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Larryb posted:

Also does Beat have a new VA in this game (he sounded a bit different from the original and Dream Drop Distance)?

No, Beat is still voiced by Crawford Wilson.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I have been busy with work so I am behind most of you in the game, doing the first scramble, and I was so paranoid from reading how hard it was for everyone, that I planned my poo poo out, and managed to get up to 79k by the time I finished taking out the second place team.

Now I still have to take out the river dudes and the female team, and I can just do it comfortably with my strong pins.

I basically used the VERY first 2 pins you get since they create combos quickly, and I learned pretty fast that the element of your ultimate attack is based on the element of your last combo, so my combos were elementless which gave me the elementless ultimate, which does a lot of rapid hit which also can trigger combos, so every time I ulted I would get about 8-10 combos in a VERY short span, and my damage per hit was pretty low, so playing it on hard and chaining 4 mammoths before a main enemy dude meant if I hit a x3 on a mammoth, I could get about 6k points on that one fight alone.

It was dangerous and slow, but 3 5 chains got me from 8k points to 79k.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rea posted:

No, Beat is still voiced by Crawford Wilson.

Huh, he sounded a little off to me at times (though to be fair it’s been almost 10 years since he last voiced the character). I assume every old face in this game retains their previous actor then?

Fun Fact: Wilson also played Jet in Avatar the Last Airbender

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 2, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Larryb posted:

Fun Fact: Wilson also played Jet in Avatar the Last Airbender

"Did Beat just...die?"

"You know, it was really unclear."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

??? Pins evolve like normal, but the catch is they need to be equipped to specific people when mastered to evolve.

Lol, that definitely seems like a huge dick move, I mean, I’m guessing it’s a buyable tutorial book at some point but still, tell me out the gate so I can build up a stockpile. Time to grind I guess!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mistikman posted:

I have been busy with work so I am behind most of you in the game, doing the first scramble, and I was so paranoid from reading how hard it was for everyone, that I planned my poo poo out, and managed to get up to 79k by the time I finished taking out the second place team.

Now I still have to take out the river dudes and the female team, and I can just do it comfortably with my strong pins.

I basically used the VERY first 2 pins you get since they create combos quickly, and I learned pretty fast that the element of your ultimate attack is based on the element of your last combo, so my combos were elementless which gave me the elementless ultimate, which does a lot of rapid hit which also can trigger combos, so every time I ulted I would get about 8-10 combos in a VERY short span, and my damage per hit was pretty low, so playing it on hard and chaining 4 mammoths before a main enemy dude meant if I hit a x3 on a mammoth, I could get about 6k points on that one fight alone.

It was dangerous and slow, but 3 5 chains got me from 8k points to 79k.

Scramble Slams thankfully get easier to topscore in as you go further into the game, with the final one being the easiest and shortest to do. The second one while easier than the first, is pretty long and can get grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Well, took most of the day but finally finished the second Scramble Slam. Thanks for all the advice re: getting beatdrops, big single hits, and mass kills (also the people that mentioned how good Topo the Ingenious is; would have died a bunch of times without it). Meant I hit the max point goal about 4-5 areas early and just started messing around with mostly awful combinations of pins I needed to level up (though found some neat almost synergies with some of them), and got the Easy and Normal drops from the Variabeauties and Purehearts. Ended up at ~457,000 when all was said and done. I'm very glad the third one is supposed to be shorter.

Also got Beat caught up to the rest of the party stat-wise to boot (which I suspect is part of why they make it so long).