Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I cant wait to see KatHan's AgHaw again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I cant wait to see KatHan's AgHaw again

My fam has been watching Parks and Rec and she's on there in season 4 as a foil to the main characters. I really enjoy her nasty energy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm sorry to drag this out but holy poo poo

!Klams posted:

But the mega-fuckery part, is that Disney are sort of doing the same thing. In as much as, they are beholden to their shareholders to make profits, they have an "ethical" obligation to pump those numbers. So when someone sees that there's an opportunity to chisel a bunch of money, and that it's possible within their rights to do so, they equally, MUST do so, as a matter of principle. Obviously, you weigh up 'good faith' that you might lose as a result of doing it, as a kind of non-tangible asset, and put some arbitrary worth on it, and see if losing it would be worth more or less.
This paragraph is nonsense. It's gibberish.

Both parties agreed upon, and set the terms for, how they would profit from this project that they both worked on. If Disney doesn't like those terms then they can and should renegotiate with Johansson. What they should not do is to unilaterally decide that this agreement just doesn't apply anymore because it's no longer convenient for them. That's...that's literally just them breaching a contract that they themselves agreed on. That's how you do business if you're a lying scumbag that can't be trusted not to screw over people you work with. There's no economic obligation to do that, much less an ethical one!

Like yeah, sure, they're in the business of making the most money they can at any given moment, and y'know how else they can make money? If they just don't friggin' pay their actors! And yet that's not something they should do!

"Oh won't someone please think of their ethical obligation to the shareholders" What? Really, what?

The lengths that people have been going to in order to "both-sides!" this thing is unsane. It's really not that complicated, y'all.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 1, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Anything Disney ever does in this arena is by definition never ethical, hope that helps!

mutata fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 1, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Another Bill posted:

My fam has been watching Parks and Rec and she's on there in season 4 as a foil to the main characters. I really enjoy her nasty energy.

I was introduced to her on Crossing Jordan many, many years ago where she played an absolute sweetheart. It's a joy seeing her have so much fun in a role. I can't wait to see her in Knives Out 2, God she better be the killer and have a hammy af monologue.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

!Klams posted:

But the mega-fuckery part, is that Disney are sort of doing the same thing. In as much as, they are beholden to their shareholders to make profits, they have an "ethical" obligation to pump those numbers. So when someone sees that there's an opportunity to chisel a bunch of money, and that it's possible within their rights to do so, they equally, MUST do so, as a matter of principle. Obviously, you weigh up 'good faith' that you might lose as a result of doing it, as a kind of non-tangible asset, and put some arbitrary worth on it, and see if losing it would be worth more or less.

As mentioned, it's no one single person's call to do this. It's just a bunch of numbers that make sense on paper. It's just the inexorable tide of capitalism.

I think really, we all know that. But it's just weird to me, that we can all see the 'I hate her but she is duty bound' for HER, but not for them. I guess because we're not faceless corps ourselves, whereas we are individuals.

The Capitalist "principle" on display here is, at best, "Penny wise and Pound foolish." At worst it's "Trump: The Fart of the Deal."

One reason that "billionaire" Donald Trump is up to his eyeballs in debt and sinking fast is that most serious business-people won't deal with him any more because they know he either can't or won't hold up his end of any bargain they make with him.

If this Scarlett Johansson situation comes to trial, the best outcome for Disney would be a loss. If they lose and pay her what she's owed (plus some punitive damages) they can say with maybe a little credibility. "Oops, our bad. We've learned our lesson and it'll never happen again."

If they win they get to keep the "pennies" that would have gone to Johansson. And they'll need them.

Because their movie budgets will skyrocket. Because major talent (not just actors/actresses but directors/writers/etc.) will demand to be paid in full up front. Because they now know that Disney cannot be trusted to uphold its part of the bargain when it comes to a "piece of the back end."

And those "back-end" deals are important to lowering production costs. A movie that pays Scarlett Johansson $15-20 million plus a percentage of the take/box office instead of paying her $50 million up front can spend that "extra" $30-35 million on FX or marketing or other stuff to get the movie to make more money. Even "better," talent with a piece of the take is effectively invested in the project. The better the project does, the better they do. So they have a big motivation to do their best to make the project succeed instead of "phoning it in." Talent paid up front?

quote:

Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge : I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 2, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
In fairness to Michael Caine, that movie's badness has essentially nothing to do with him.

A quick Google search reveals the following:

He was paid 1.5 million for about a week on set.

The house is indeed terrific.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 2, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

In fairness to Michael Caine, that movie's badness has essentially nothing to do with him.

A quick Google search reveals the following:

He was paid 1.5 million for about a week on set.

The house is indeed terrific.

Oh, absolutely. If anything he had an effect similar to but lesser than what Samuel L. Jackson did for Deep Blue Sea in terms of making on otherwise mediocre/crappy movie a little more watchable.

I just posted the quote because I thought it was an eloquent illustration of "I don't give a gently caress about this movie because I already got paid."

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Micheal Keaton only had 17 minutes of screentime in Beetlejuice.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Don’t you dare besmirch the classic deep blue sea.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Invalid Validation posted:

Don’t you dare besmirch the classic deep blue sea.

I'm not, but let's face it. The presence (and sudden absence) of Samuel L. Jackson is the main reason that movie is a classic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
gently caress that, it's a legitimately good little action horror flick. I will throw hands over Deep Blue Sea any day.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My fav part of deep blue sea is ll cool j surviving to make a rap video of becoming a shark furry hybrid

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

McPhearson posted:

Micheal Keaton only had 17 minutes of screentime in Beetlejuice.

Yeah, but I bet he had to spend hours in the makeup chair every day of filming.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was picturing The Big Blue in my mind and was really confused about all this shark talk

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, but I bet he had to spend hours in the makeup chair every day of filming.

I'd be ok with Michael Keaton being double cast as Mephisto.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Diabetic posted:

I'd be ok with Michael Keaton being double cast as Mephisto.

Michael Keaton as Mephisto as Beetlejuice who wants to wed Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff as Lydia Deets (reading the Dark Magic book made Wanda go super-duper Goth for reasons).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everyone posted:

Oh, absolutely. If anything he had an effect similar to but lesser than what Samuel L. Jackson did for Deep Blue Sea in terms of making on otherwise mediocre/crappy movie a little more watchable.

I just posted the quote because I thought it was an eloquent illustration of "I don't give a gently caress about this movie because I already got paid."

That's not really it though because Michael Caine is in that category of film actors (significantly represented by brits) who were there to work and would take any cheque if they had space in their schedule and you got a professional performance from them no matter what.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Frankenstyle posted:

Disney needs to start shoveling more of their hidden Nazi gold into making more shows, stat. This thread gets too weird in the lull between shows.

It does and I'm sorry. FWIW I assumed Dr Nutt was being a dick and this really turns out to have not been the case. So, that's on me.

I'm super excited about What If? The art style looks pretty slick. Are there good comic runs worth reading in this version of the universe? I know I can google it but I want to avoid spoilers and when I've looked for other comic books the information is usually like "an amazing series in which THIS and THAT and then THAT happens - you should totally read this thing". Which I'd like to avoid.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ClydeFrog posted:

It does and I'm sorry. FWIW I assumed Dr Nutt was being a dick and this really turns out to have not been the case. So, that's on me.

I'm super excited about What If? The art style looks pretty slick. Are there good comic runs worth reading in this version of the universe? I know I can google it but I want to avoid spoilers and when I've looked for other comic books the information is usually like "an amazing series in which THIS and THAT and then THAT happens - you should totally read this thing". Which I'd like to avoid.

Just read them. What if has no continuity or impact on the canon of the comic books. They're just explorations of various ideas. Some are lots of fun, some explore neat ideas, some are duds. It's like an ideas workshop where writers are given free reins.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
And (from what we've seen) the show is adapting the concept in spirit rather than in specific detail.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Almost all issues of What If is a new story, just pick the issue that sound cool.
I can remember liking What If Rogue got the power of Thor.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The most successful what if? May be marvel zombies, I think? It was ramp up after ramp up of ridiculous premises (at one point some of them eat galactus and become space zombies that travel across galaxies to eat people), got a bunch of spin offs using cult fav characters like Howard the duck and machine man, and when interest waned it ended with a whimper utilizing very comic book power abuse (the sandman - the villain in spider man who turns to sand - is revealed to be a secret weapon hidden in a jar and upon release he killed the space zombies because the sand shreds their flesh to nano pieces). It was a very strange series!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Alchenar posted:

That's not really it though because Michael Caine is in that category of film actors (significantly represented by brits) who were there to work and would take any cheque if they had space in their schedule and you got a professional performance from them no matter what.

Especially if it's being filmed somewhere nice. The other apocryphal story about Caine and Jaws: The Revenge is that he agreed to do it because he loved the script - the first line was "EXT: THE BAHAMAS"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
If you’re interested in What If? but also want something with core characters and continuity you might also like Exiles which is essentially Marvel’s Sliders, following a ragtag group of characters from the multiverse going to various realities issue to issue.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nikumatic posted:

If you’re interested in What If? but also want something with core characters and continuity you might also like Exiles which is essentially Marvel’s Sliders, following a ragtag group of characters from the multiverse going to various realities issue to issue.

I'm going to second this recommendation. Exiles was a great series.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The most successful what if? May be marvel zombies, I think? It was ramp up after ramp up of ridiculous premises (at one point some of them eat galactus and become space zombies that travel across galaxies to eat people), got a bunch of spin offs using cult fav characters like Howard the duck and machine man, and when interest waned it ended with a whimper utilizing very comic book power abuse (the sandman - the villain in spider man who turns to sand - is revealed to be a secret weapon hidden in a jar and upon release he killed the space zombies because the sand shreds their flesh to nano pieces). It was a very strange series!

A close 2nd is What If? #105 that introduced Spider-Girl, which was the springboard for an entire imprint and I think to this day the only female-led solo series that made it to 100 consecutive issues at Marvel.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

!Klams posted:

I know you put ethical in quotes but even so there's a huge difference between your ethical obligations as a person working for or running a division of a company, and the legal obligations of the corporate entity itself to its shareholders, and most people in business at high levels keep those to things very very separate.
And although it is true that many shareholders will obviously just want to see numbers go up without too much attention to detail, that's not a given, and it's often the case that shareholders with a significant stake in a corporation do have an opinion on how a company makes its money.

I think often people put too much stock in the idea that the people running companies are super cold human spreadsheets and not just regular if slightly sociopathic humans perfectly capable of making the wrong calls and loving up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

There is also an Evil Dead crossover

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

My fav part of deep blue sea is ll cool j surviving to make a rap video of becoming a shark furry hybrid

MY HAT IS LIKE A SHARK FIN

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Grumbles posted:

I know you put ethical in quotes but even so there's a huge difference between your ethical obligations as a person working for or running a division of a company, and the legal obligations of the corporate entity itself to its shareholders, and most people in business at high levels keep those to things very very separate.
And although it is true that many shareholders will obviously just want to see numbers go up without too much attention to detail, that's not a given, and it's often the case that shareholders with a significant stake in a corporation do have an opinion on how a company makes its money.

I think often people put too much stock in the idea that the people running companies are super cold human spreadsheets and not just regular if slightly sociopathic humans perfectly capable of making the wrong calls and loving up.

New Coke.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

What Ifs are great. Two of my favorite issues ever were What Ifs. There are two main series. The first volume ran from 1977-1984 for 47 issues and the second volume ran from 1989-1998 ran for 115 issues. After that there were sporadic one shots and minis up to present day.

Some of my favorite issues:

Volume 1
#1 What if Spider-Man Joined the Fantastic Four?
#3 What if The Avengers Had Never Been?
#22 What if Dr Doom Had Become a Hero?
#24 What if Spider-Man Rescued Gwen Stacy?
#44 What if Captain America Were Revived Today? (Personal favorite of V1)
#45 What if Hulk Went Berserk?

Volume 2
#4 What If the Alien Costume Had Possessed Spider-Man?
#15 What if the Fantastic Four Had Lost the Trial of Galactus?
#26 What if the Punsiher Killed Daredevil? (Personal favorite of V2)
#27 What if Namor Had Joined the Fantastic Four?
#39 What if the Watcher Saved the Multiverse?
#49 What if the Silver Surfer Possessed the Infinity Gauntlet?
#64 What if Iron Man Sold Out?

Other One Shots
What If Doctor Doom Had Become the Thing?
What If: Annihilation (The Annihilation Wave makes it to Earth)
What If: Spider-Man vs. Wolverine (Spider-Man and Wolverine become like a mercenary team, it's really cool)
What if: Newer Fantastic Four (New Fantastic Four vs Thanos)
What If: Secret Wars (Doom wins Secret Wars) (Another personal favorite)
What if: Infinity Thanos (Thanos joins The Avengers)

These are all quick reads. Most of them are on Marvel Unlimited (most of the V2 issues aren't there).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Especially if it's being filmed somewhere nice. The other apocryphal story about Caine and Jaws: The Revenge is that he agreed to do it because he loved the script - the first line was "EXT: THE BAHAMAS"

He's like a cross between Bruce Willis and Adam Sandler.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Several common What If themes:

Spider-Man is the lynchpin of the entire Marvel universe. If he dies everything goes to poo poo.

Reed Richards minus Sue Storm equals the most deranged villain ever.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Reed Richards minus Sue Storm equals the most deranged villain ever.

I would looooove to see The Maker in the MCU.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The first three episodes of What If...? are reportedly:

1. Captain Carter
2. Star Lord T'Challa
3. "Loki on Earth"

And there's rumblings that Captain Carter could appear in Multiverse of Madness.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 2, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

live with fruit posted:

The first three episodes of What If...? are reportedly:

1. Captain Carter
2. Star Lord T'Challa
3. "Loki on Earth"

And there's rumblings that Captain Carter could appear in Multiverse of Madness.

If they do that, I'm betting it'll be a lot like they did for the CW's Flashpoint. A quick view of a universe in a montage with a wide variety of characters that is basically just a bunch of cameos. Like, "Ooo...Captain Carter" cut to "Oooo...Miles Morales" etc.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am hoping they use this to backdoor some fan favorite characters and actors back into the MCU fold. With Chadwick Boseman's unfortunate passing, it'd be cool to see "good guy" Killmonger come out of the What Ifs, or Captain Carter becoming the new modern day fish out of water character with Chris Evans hanging up the shield. (Obviously Falcon is still Captain America but he lacks the man out of time element that Steve Rogers has). I don't think those things are likely but it's a good time for the MCU to get shaken up and see what lands.

Meanwhile, in DC land, somehow Doom Patrol is the best superhero show I've ever seen and I can't believe this absolute gem had to suffer under some bullshit DC only streaming service before finding a better home at HBO. Seriously watch this if you haven't seen it, it's absolutely incredible.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Maybe spoil the rumors about surprises in upcoming mcu movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Doctor Nutt posted:

I am hoping they use this to backdoor some fan favorite characters and actors back into the MCU fold. With Chadwick Boseman's unfortunate passing, it'd be cool to see "good guy" Killmonger come out of the What Ifs, or Captain Carter becoming the new modern day fish out of water character with Chris Evans hanging up the shield. (Obviously Falcon is still Captain America but he lacks the man out of time element that Steve Rogers has). I don't think those things are likely but it's a good time for the MCU to get shaken up and see what lands.

Meanwhile, in DC land, somehow Doom Patrol is the best superhero show I've ever seen and I can't believe this absolute gem had to suffer under some bullshit DC only streaming service before finding a better home at HBO. Seriously watch this if you haven't seen it, it's absolutely incredible.

Make the AU Peggy Carter the MCU's Captain Britain and really annoy some dorks online.