Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Oh yeah I've gone over the conversion rules in my 7e book and it isn't too bad, just kind of weird that they're rereleasing 2e stuff as-is new, that's all. I get it for the historical context, though.

There seems to be a tranche of people out there who've never moved on from 2E-6E, if they can throw those people a bone, help them get some cool stuff, and profit to fund more 7E stuff of it everyone wins.

They seem to have learned the lessons of the RQ Classic Kickstarter - which was mostly a success, the main snag with the delivery was that they underestimated how long it'd take to get all of the layout upgrades done on the supplements unlocked as stretch goals so that ended up taking a while,. Still, having nice versions of the RQ2 line out is very much worth it given the thing's place in gaming history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

I should add, the 'good' ending where humans go back to being happy apemen like the Kinks' song, is basically an interlude.

Eventually the fires get put out and the Elder Thing thralls grab a dog or an octopus or a crow or something and after another 40,000 years of civilizing there's a new civilization cooking the planet and everyone's unhappy and sick and dying, a human face is the logo of the World Wildlife Fund, the last H. Sapiens are living in zoos or being hunted for bushmeat, and octopus private investigators are choosing to keep investigating well past the point anyone cuts and runs, reading ancient texts bound in, like, octopus skin, going mad, then being drawn back to the Garden.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Truly, There Was No Alternative.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This maps really well to a never-installed Elder Thing "firmware update" that would corrects shoggoth compliance issues and conveniently delete sentience in other lesser creations (ie: mankind.)

It also gives you an antagonist opportunity, in the form of someone who wants to dominate the help but doesn't necessarily realize that includes reducing eveyone to mindless animals.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Nessus posted:

Truly, There Was No Alternative.

All I want is to solemnly intone about the end of humanity, one last survivalist holed up in a water tight bunker with his family while the remnants of what was Man grunt and forage and rut in the streets of the once great metropolises, pouring the last of their bottled water supply into glasses, one for each family member. Slips a few sleeping tablets into each glass but for one, loading his revolver with shaking hands, then walks out into the common area, a smile plastered on his face below dead eyes, as the door swings shut behind him. The end. There is no more. There is no more. There is no more.

Then I fucken sting em with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2twY8YQYDBE

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

moths posted:

This maps really well to a never-installed Elder Thing "firmware update" that would corrects shoggoth compliance issues

I love that the Mythos has room for unaccountably ancient, functionally immortal beings, who traverse the stars and built an empire across the dimensions, who interface with humanity mainly as absolute fuckups. Whether frozen into ice cubes, or by their ruined cities destroyed by like, their oxen.

Are there any stories where these guys have a halfway functioning society or is it all ruins and super deadly detritus?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CornHolio posted:

Oh yeah I've gone over the conversion rules in my 7e book and it isn't too bad, just kind of weird that they're rereleasing 2e stuff as-is new, that's all. I get it for the historical context, though.

Not really that odd considering they did that RuneQuest 2e reprint just a couple years ago

Wonder if they'll do a reprint for Worlds of Wonder next for that game's* 40th anniversary next year(or for Superworld's 40th in 2023)?

*and thus Basic Role-Playing as a standalone system's anniversary too

Warthur
May 2, 2004

It is probably not possible, but I would love if they mended bridges with Michael Moorcock so as to do a Stormbringer Classic reprint.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

PipHelix posted:

I love that the Mythos has room for unaccountably ancient, functionally immortal beings, who traverse the stars and built an empire across the dimensions, who interface with humanity mainly as absolute fuckups. Whether frozen into ice cubes, or by their ruined cities destroyed by like, their oxen.

Are there any stories where these guys have a halfway functioning society or is it all ruins and super deadly detritus?

I think the main character of Dreams in the Witch House travels to one of their cities in a dream. It's only a few paragraphs out of the longer story, but it does provide a glimpse into how they might have lived on other planets.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Warthur posted:

It is probably not possible, but I would love if they mended bridges with Michael Moorcock so as to do a Stormbringer Classic reprint.

So what exactly happened there?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

So what exactly happened there?

The people who ran Chaosium in the nineties were bad at business and didn't pay him (or most people they owed money) what they owed him, I think. I've actually read an article on the whole affair a few days ago:

https://refereeingandreflection.wordpress.com/2018/11/01/kickstopper-that-is-not-dead-which-can-eternally-restructure-part-1/

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Sionak posted:

I think the main character of Dreams in the Witch House travels to one of their cities in a dream. It's only a few paragraphs out of the longer story, but it does provide a glimpse into how they might have lived on other planets.

I just read that one as well, because my group is currently running crimson letters. Isn't that city abandoned so long even their constructions are crumbling? I think the protagonist basically yanks a piece off an ornamental fence made of unobtanium barehanded its so westherbeaten and corroded.

Honestly I think it helps the dread to have such a biologically tough, technically advanced, Mythos-aware race who got thoroughly and conclusively loving OWNED by whats out there. The humans generally walk through their works going 'Wow, we dont have anything like this, amazing!", right before the thing that destroyed them starts chasing them.

Isnt there one where theres an ancient library under a desert and the civ that built it got murked by something bigger and worse? Cant remember any details enough to google it. What am I thinking of, was that elder things?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

PipHelix posted:

Isnt there one where theres an ancient library under a desert and the civ that built it got murked by something bigger and worse? Cant remember any details enough to google it. What am I thinking of, was that elder things?
The Library of Pnakotus was destroyed by the flying polyps, but only because the Great Race of Yith projected their minds into another era of time, leaving their cone shaped prehistoric bodies inhabited by the bewildered and helpless minds of the beings they displaced. The Yithians were fine, it was the coleopterous beetle people of the far future who got hosed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

mellonbread posted:

The Library of Pnakotus was destroyed by the flying polyps, but only because the Great Race of Yith projected their minds into another era of time, leaving their cone shaped prehistoric bodies inhabited by the bewildered and helpless minds of the beings they displaced. The Yithians were fine, it was the coleopterous beetle people of the far future who got hosed.

Consider Mansions of Madness Vol I: Behind Closed Doors, scenario 3: the Code, for more future and time bending Yithian fun.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Megazver posted:

The people who ran Chaosium in the nineties were bad at business and didn't pay him (or most people they owed money) what they owed him, I think. I've actually read an article on the whole affair a few days ago:

https://refereeingandreflection.wordpress.com/2018/11/01/kickstopper-that-is-not-dead-which-can-eternally-restructure-part-1/
Yeah, pretty much. (I can vouch for that article to the extent that I wrote it.)

I note that Mongoose no longer have the licence but I don't know whether anyone has picked it up since. And the new regime's made a point of trying to pay all their debts (one of the reasons the fiction line slowed down lately was that the new line editor's first job was "get all those authors paid"), which has no doubt been painful but is also just good business sense given the horrible reputation the Krank-led version of the company ended up getting.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Megazver posted:

You know, that's kind of a shame because I love the Mythos card game they put out. I've never actually played it, but I've collected most of the cards and they clearly had fun making the game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Never played it but from remembering how things went down at the time and reading up on it after the fact, I think Mythos had the bad luck to be released juuuust when the CCG bubble burst, leaving Chaosium holding the can.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Warthur posted:

Never played it but from remembering how things went down at the time and reading up on it after the fact, I think Mythos had the bad luck to be released juuuust when the CCG bubble burst, leaving Chaosium holding the can.

I remember it had a bunch of advertising but I never knew anybody that played it. And the final expansion, New Aeon, hardly sold (or maybe was hardly printed) so it's really rare and expensive to collect.

The Dreamlands stuff is my favorite (and I have a whole set, and then some). A lot of the art is shared with the RPG, too, which is cool. And there's stupid little things like this that are fun.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
My group really wants to try Delta Green, I'm looking for any advice on running it (any gotchas, rules/system issues, etc), and some good scenarios for it. Also anything that would be good for a short convention one-shot, like 4-5 hours or so with pregen characters. Something I can buy on drivethru is fine.

I've read through the free 'Need to Know' quick start+scenario, that's my default right now. I've run some CoC 7e but it's been a few years. Any suggestions?

ritorix fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 12, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Last Things Last is honestly fine. It's a short scenario but if you do character creation in the same session you can easily fill a four hour block. Which is good, because I think the pregen characters in LTL kind of suck. There's a ton of other scenarios I could recommend, but I find that throwing people a long list of recs when they just want basic advice is unhelpful.

The main thing to watch out for in Delta Green is not to demand dice rolls for absolutely everything under the sun. Like Call of Cthulhu, if you demand a d100 for every investigative interaction, the players will get stonewalled by repeat failures trying to accomplish basic tasks, and eventually disengage because they "can't do anything". Last Things Last (and other published modules) will often tell you explicitly when to call for a die roll, versus when simply having the appropriate skill at the requisite level is enough to get the clue.

If you don't have the most up to date version of the books, you'll want to grab the latest errata. The fixes to the disorder rules aren't perfect, but make them a thousand times more usable than in the initial printing. The old rules weren't game breaking, just clunky enough that nobody ever used them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PX Poker Night is also good for a shortish oneshot.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I haven't read the new Poker Knight, but one thing I appreciate about the original is how each pregen had a short list of ways they react to SAN damage. Scenarios that deal with hallucinations are hard if the Handler has to constantly adjudicate which player sees what. Giving the characters themes for their altered perceptions lets the players self-serve.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

mellonbread posted:

I haven't read the new Poker Knight, but one thing I appreciate about the original is how each pregen had a short list of ways they react to SAN damage. Scenarios that deal with hallucinations are hard if the Handler has to constantly adjudicate which player sees what. Giving the characters themes for their altered perceptions lets the players self-serve.
One thing I have seen commonly done for con games is that there is a pre-made set of conditions, often concealed from the player, that come into effect after they lose a certain quantity of SAN. I think this might be an interesting way to set things up for a more conventional game, although it also seems potentially fraught.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Poker Night is basically a con scenario. It uses pregens and, while it can hypothetically be used as an introduction to the game, the design strongly suggests it's meant as a oneshot, with a token hook at the end for campaign play. (Again, speaking strictly about the old version, the new version might have been revised)

The DM handling SAN tests and resulting effects behind the screen for the player characters has the advantage of not bringing the action to a halt every time the DM calls for a series of mechanical tests from the players, at least one of whom will inevitably need help finding something on their character sheet or crunching the numbers for SAN success/failure.

It has the disadvantage of being yet another set of numbers the DM has to track. Delta Green in particular also has some player facing mechanics regarding projecting onto Bonds that wouldn't work if the players couldn't see the SAN values changing. Unless the DM also took custody of the Bond ratings and offered the players the ability to trade off one unseen value for another unseen value. Which could admittedly lead to interesting gameplay, in the same way hidden HP and damage values for players can spice things up.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

mellonbread posted:

Last Things Last is honestly fine. It's a short scenario but if you do character creation in the same session you can easily fill a four hour block. Which is good, because I think the pregen characters in LTL kind of suck. There's a ton of other scenarios I could recommend, but I find that throwing people a long list of recs when they just want basic advice is unhelpful.

The main thing to watch out for in Delta Green is not to demand dice rolls for absolutely everything under the sun. Like Call of Cthulhu, if you demand a d100 for every investigative interaction, the players will get stonewalled by repeat failures trying to accomplish basic tasks, and eventually disengage because they "can't do anything". Last Things Last (and other published modules) will often tell you explicitly when to call for a die roll, versus when simply having the appropriate skill at the requisite level is enough to get the clue.

If you don't have the most up to date version of the books, you'll want to grab the latest errata. The fixes to the disorder rules aren't perfect, but make them a thousand times more usable than in the initial printing. The old rules weren't game breaking, just clunky enough that nobody ever used them.

Yeah, I'd second this. I really like Last Things Last; I've run it a bunch of times and always had a good time. But I think it's worth looking over the pregens and potentially pruning/replacing some of them. I would keep the little backstory prompts on the second page, though.

As mellonbread says, the Delta Green book suggests taking a more Gumshoe influenced approach to investigative rolls, where characters with a high score (50 to 70+) will often find clues and reason out context. But, like Gumshoe, many players love rolling dice and can be kind of resistant to this in my experience.

In my opinion, it's okay to scale down the bonds rules for a con game. They're flavorful and have cool effects for a campaign, but the disorder rules (as noted) and the bonds rules are the most complex parts of the system. Bonds in particular slow down sanity roll resolution, which happens at otherwise scary or intense moments. If you are using them, I highly recommend making a little cheat sheet - they're only briefly described on the GM screen included with Need to Know, and it's always hard for me to remember the distinctions between suppressing sanity loss or projecting onto a bond.

For con games, I mostly use bonds for scene setting. Time permitting, ask each player what they're doing at 11:43 AM on a Tuesday. Most players will look at their bonds, occupations, and skills to answer the question, which is great. Then they can get the call/message/whatever calling them to the Delta Green briefing. I usually ask for one skill check in this scene (usually how they explain their short notice absence to a family member or boss) to demonstrate the skill system and then the players are good to go.

I like Extremophilia a lot as a short/con game type thing. But it does deal with themes of contagion and contamination that may not be to everyone's taste after the last year.
Observer Effect is also really fun and very Delta Green, to me. But it asks a lot of the GM and I wouldn't pick it for a first run. I also couldn't get it to less than 4 hours, though 5 could work and it depends on your GMing style.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Sionak posted:

As mellonbread says, the Delta Green book suggests taking a more Gumshoe influenced approach to investigative rolls, where characters with a high score (50 to 70+) will often find clues and reason out context. But, like Gumshoe, many players love rolling dice and can be kind of resistant to this in my experience.

You could always frame it as "on a success you discover the vital clue straight away, on a fail you bumble around, get your foot stuck in a mop bucket, knock over shelves of library books like dominoes and have it fall into your lap as the chief librarian screams at you to get out"

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I ran the scenario Missed Dues last night for my guys. It was slightly modified as a mission they're sent on to retrieve a trio of artifacts that have been stolen by local criminals. Little do they know that these artifacts, when combined, open a direct channel to Azathoth, and that's precisely what the small time thief has done, accidentially.

So after some wandering around trying to figure out where to go and what to do, mostly because the players didn't want to ask the criminal underground about the thefts and instead went straight to the police department, which aroused their suspicions since they didn't have any leads, they finally started asking around the local speakeasys and getting some real information.

They ended up, after several hours, at the apartment of this criminal, Sticky Jack. They went around back to the kitchen entrance, and one of them thought it was like a hotel kitchen or something, leaves and buys a full chef's outfit. They pick the lock, enter the landlady's personal kitchen, fail their disguise roll and are upset that she just guffaws at the character's pristine chef's outfit that's clearly never seen a real kitchen before. The character had to wear that outfit for the rest of the scenario, because they couldn't leave.

The landlady's apartment was directly beneath Jack's and so she had taken the brunt of the insanity from Azathoth. She went after the guys with a kitchen knife, but was quickly disarmed. She was a fat old lady and critically failed two dodge rolls, so was kind of flailing around getting beat up until dead. They found her decapitated husband in the cellar, then went into the rest of the apartment.

After a brief encounter in one room with a Servitor of the Outer Gods (and a near miss with a tentacle) and a nearly fatal encounter with an invisible force in another room, they found Sticky Jack's apartment. One of the players (down to 3HP from that previously mentioned near fatal encounter) goes to the closet door to open it. I warn him that he feels an enormous sense of horror and dread as he reaches for the handle, but he's adamant about opening it. The other players fail luck rolls and so fail to avert their eyes as he opens the door and gazes upon the blind idiot got itself, and a multitude of servants dancing around it at the center of the cosmos. He failed is sanity roll and proceeded to lose all of his sanity at once. He was on the ground writhing for the rest of the game. Another failed their sanity roll but only lost eight sanity, and takes off down the hall in full chef outfit. The third character made their sanity roll and didn't lose much, proceeded to find Sticky Jack and after trying to figure out why he wouldn't die even when he'd taken a bullet to the head, cut the head clean off and ended the spell.

Chaz, the ex-soldier that has survived until now, is committed to Arkham Asylum for an indefinite amount of time, rocking back and forth in a straight jacket occasionally muttering something about the inconsequence of it all, and humming that insane piping noise...

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 19, 2021

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Would anyone care to take a look at or give feedback on an adventure I've written (and am currently playing through with my group)?

It's about a dog and an idyllic town near Providence, Rhode Island.

A Very Good Dog

(It's meant to be part of a larger campaign where the characters are all part of a clandestine pre-Delta Green-like Federal agency called the Bureau of Irregular Investigations, whose job it is to track down unusual and mysterious artifacts and events, which is why it kind of leads off with certain things already assumed)

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

It's about a dog and an idyllic town near Providence, Rhode Island.

A Very Good Dog

(It's meant to be part of a larger campaign where the characters are all part of a clandestine pre-Delta Green-like Federal agency called the Bureau of Irregular Investigations, whose job it is to track down unusual and mysterious artifacts and events, which is why it kind of leads off with certain things already assumed)

Literally played a Terror on the Orient Express death-replacement PC as a stray dog that adopted the party. Checking out and 100% stealing if any good.

Also: Question for feedback. I'm running Crimson Letters. I love this module because it's set up like Clue. There is a professor who dies from unkowningly loving with the occult, he's hated in his professional life, owes money to the mob, jilted lover, there's basically a million suspects, and the DM picks one as the who dun it and writes the entire module themselves to connect all the dots.

ANYway, the big bad is this extradimensional other that was locked away by glyphs drawn in impossible geometries by a pilgrim accused of witchcraft (See Dreams in the Witch House for background), that the professor had forged so as to sell the original to settle a gambling debt. I want a climactic scene, usually this involves a big battle as everyone who touches said macguffin is posessed by the evil and driven insane and becomes a kill-crazy zombie. Usually a hook is that, since there are two such Macguffins, you let the PCs find and grab one, celebrate, then drop that at least one, maybe more of them have been Ringu-ed. Anyway, the Final Manifestation as specced in the book is way OP for my two PCs.

What I'd like to do is the following - retcon the big bad from a demon to literally a non-Euclidean geometry that is in the process of establishing itself in 4D spacetime. I'll introduce the concept using the idea that fractals have non-integer dimensions, that the fractional dimension is a little baby dimension, peeking around the corner of our reality (and of course, when you spot a cute baby bear, an angry mamabear isn't far away). Touching the macguffin basically infects the toucher with a >4 dimensionality, making them 'crazy' but allowing them to, say interact with the evil in a way that looks like lunacy to the 'sane' PCs.

So: after revealing the nature of the evil, privately I'll tell the toucher(s) to write down their SAN score for later -making clear that the upcoming losses are temporary. Dock 20SAN off the top. The phobia they develop is a reasonable one - they know they have the zombie virus and don't want to get killed prophylactically. So they are barred from talking about this or the following: Lose 1d10 SAN any time a member of the party discusses space (we need to go to X!) or time (we need to stop this before Y!).

Where this comes back around. Being that they're infected by 12D space time, they're able to perceive it an move in it - they can essentially teleport, stretch time and space just do absolutely nuts poo poo (I'm flatly denying any time travel into the past, other than that whatever they can come up with is fair game). To do this they need to first - declare their intention, fail a SAN check then pass a POW check. They need to be so nuts they believe they can Wile E Coyote off the cliff, then follow through POW enough to look down and just keep walking. Thus the SAN hits.

I'll make this mechanic clear by telling the PC, as the party travels to the final showdown 'You realize, this is stupid. Why are we traveling forward in space AND forward in time to get there. We could get there twice as fast if we only moved in space! You suggest this and do so, expecting everyone to follow you.' I'll have them roll San with a penalty die and Pow with a bonus die, but tell them they're rolling against a threshold and they failed and passed respectively no matter what. I'll explain what happens, and why, and how to make it happen again. I'll then tell the sane PCs that the insane one muttered some gibberish, puked down their shirt, opened the car door and rolled out, they can't see a body on the road, however.

Basically while the Sane PCs are shooting bullets at the Final Zombie and twatting it with sticks, I want my crazy PCs, like, porting into trees to rip out branches that they perceive are ramifying and multiplying in fractal patterns, or splashing in reflecting ponds where the stars are reflecting in patterns that aren't in the sky, or smashing headstones where the letters are serifing and curlicuing in eldritch unnatural patterns - with each bit of chaos muppetry severely debuffing this tank of a magic weilding demon-zombie. And of course, to the sane PCs this looks like their partner losing their grip on reality and rolling in the dirt while having a seizure.
I want at least one PC to be running around like Stevie in that Eastbound & Down ep while the rest of the crew is engaging in bogstandard 'kill the evil wizard in the cemetary at midnight' TTRPG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtV0SOQeduk.

Concerns
I want to make the PC aware that the SAN loss is temporary - their 12D brain folds will smooth out to 3D once they beat the monster. I'm gonna just tell them if they survive to the end they get it all back. Too lame? I feel like the 'dont look in the box' ness of straight CoC means the player might get pissed if I try to make the restoration a surprise.
Is there a better way to explain the low-SAN hi-POW mechanic than just telling the insane PC? It's basically right at the end, so there's no time for them to figure it out by trial and error.
Best way to deal with the Sane PCs? I'm going to keep them in the dark about 'when/where' words and traumatizing their unmoored companion. If they can piece together what's triggering the crazy one to roll all the time, fair play to them. But: I think I'll let them know that the crazy person is actually helping in the fight. Best payoff ever would be to not tell anyone ANYTHING but I think that requires a level of trust in the DM that I don't have yet with this group. Maybe serving this up is how I get them to just go with it in a later module where I'm like, "ok first thing, a guy shoots you - you're dead. You're looking down at your dead body. Now what"

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 2, 2021

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Goddamn, we're very much on the same track - I was definitely thinking of Stephen King's The Jaunt when figuring out the nature of the crazy - first time a sane PC gives an instruction to the crazy one I was gonna post the 10-hour Do The Mario video, say that's what they perceive the other person as and oh, yea, the crazy person experiences it as taking 10 hours.

Anyway:
The couple goes missing one day and is discovered a month later. They didn't spend any actual realtime in Todash did they? Felt like weeks but they came back the same day, ran home and suicided? Is it reasonable for two high-status people to go completely missing for a month and not be discovered, especially since their bodies were in their home? Wouldn't someone call the cops within a week and wouldn't that be the first place they check?

Spot Hidden (50%) reveals a curious clue: the presence of a dog’s leash around Clyde’s wrist.

Spot Hidden of 50% or lower to notice a leash around someone's wrist? That might be a good one to feed them easily, especially if the investigators don't know what the pass/fail criteria are. You can just tell them about the leash no matter what they roll.

Mayor Christopher James was actually recently elected just two years ago, and hasn’t yet settled into his role. Kind of a long time to still be figuring out the job, no? I like that he's being accused of embezzling. Why not make that be true in fact? Naturally he'd be panicking that the police are requesting extra resources that *should* be available but aren't. But also I love interlocking chaos and having the eldritch CoC stuff trigger mundane nickel and dime poo poo. Real Jaws Mayor poo poo. YMMV

Otherwise looks good. I'll tell you what though, if I had a teleporting dog as a kid I'd have shoplifted myself stupid. That might be another investigative hook. Candy, toy shops looted. Newstand locked up for the night came back and all the Action Comics were gone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PipHelix posted:

Goddamn, we're very much on the same track - I was definitely thinking of Stephen King's The Jaunt when figuring out the nature of the crazy - first time a sane PC gives an instruction to the crazy one I was gonna post the 10-hour Do The Mario video, say that's what they perceive the other person as and oh, yea, the crazy person experiences it as taking 10 hours.

Anyway:
The couple goes missing one day and is discovered a month later. They didn't spend any actual realtime in Todash did they? Felt like weeks but they came back the same day, ran home and suicided? Is it reasonable for two high-status people to go completely missing for a month and not be discovered, especially since their bodies were in their home? Wouldn't someone call the cops within a week and wouldn't that be the first place they check?

Spot Hidden (50%) reveals a curious clue: the presence of a dog’s leash around Clyde’s wrist.

Spot Hidden of 50% or lower to notice a leash around someone's wrist? That might be a good one to feed them easily, especially if the investigators don't know what the pass/fail criteria are. You can just tell them about the leash no matter what they roll.

Mayor Christopher James was actually recently elected just two years ago, and hasn’t yet settled into his role. Kind of a long time to still be figuring out the job, no? I like that he's being accused of embezzling. Why not make that be true in fact? Naturally he'd be panicking that the police are requesting extra resources that *should* be available but aren't. But also I love interlocking chaos and having the eldritch CoC stuff trigger mundane nickel and dime poo poo. Real Jaws Mayor poo poo. YMMV

Otherwise looks good. I'll tell you what though, if I had a teleporting dog as a kid I'd have shoplifted myself stupid. That might be another investigative hook. Candy, toy shops looted. Newstand locked up for the night came back and all the Action Comics were gone.

Thanks. These are all great points, and very sensible. I'll work 'em in!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Thanks. These are all great points, and very sensible. I'll work 'em in!

Yea, if I wasn't running a module right now where the PCs are dealing with space and time breaking down (and the post module reward is being able to port through Todash, with a risk of monsters escaping when the portals are open) I'd definitely try to work this into the rotation. "A Very Good Dog" is one of those names where the assumed grimdarkness makes it seem by its own innocuousness, all the worse.

For the longest time I have been trying to think of a good plot to name "The Very Hungry Catepillar" but not some down the middle parasite or kaiju the players would see coming a mile away. Oh well, inspiration eventually strikes when you stop looking for it.

Also saw this for the first time today. Basically the elevator pitch for a DG CoC module set in the 60s or near future:
https://twitter.com/Dustinkcouch/status/1057094474227240960

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
RE Dogs in adventures: We had a pair of Siberian Huskies who saved the Tenth Soviet Antarctic Expedition by critically biting the captain of a Dreamlands slave ship. Knocked him down and gave the rest of the group an opening to kill the moon beasts before they could escape with the expedition's seismologist.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

PipHelix posted:

For the longest time I have been trying to think of a good plot to name "The Very Hungry Catepillar" but not some down the middle parasite or kaiju the players would see coming a mile away. Oh well, inspiration eventually strikes when you stop looking for it.
Something long ago laid an egg... an egg that doesn't exist in the dimensional space we do, or at least, not in the same way.

It just hatched.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PipHelix posted:

Literally played a Terror on the Orient Express death-replacement PC as a stray dog that adopted the party. Checking out and 100% stealing if any good.

Also: Question for feedback.

[spacetime shenanigans]

Repaying the favor since you did so nicely for me!

I love this concept, it sounds so delightfully chaotic, but I would be going nuts trying to find a way to convey this and execute it in a sensible way to my players. I would be careful of the complexity, or even explain privately to the player affected out of character, like lay it out clearly how this mechanic works. Props to you as a GM to run this concept, but personally I would find it difficult.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

PipHelix posted:

Also saw this for the first time today. Basically the elevator pitch for a DG CoC module set in the 60s or near future:
https://twitter.com/Dustinkcouch/status/1057094474227240960
That's kind of the hook for BLACKSAT in Delta Green. You're a bunch of astronauts who have to take some dangerously unqualified (in the sense that there's a nonzero chance liftoff will cause one of them to just immediately have a heart attack from stress and blood pressure and the other is a chronic smoker) nerds to space to fix a government satellite, there's some grim comedy from having to try and get them up to snuff and then you go up there and everything goes to hell.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
BLACKSAT has some cool set pieces, but from a gameplay perspective I found it pretty dull. There just wasn't that much that the player characters could actually do in a given situation, other than "roll mission-critical skill" at the narratively appropriate time. It was originally intended as a tutorial to teach the players about skill rolls, and it shows. The other modules in the Control Group pack are miles better, even when they're similarly railroaded (I'm looking at you, Night Visions).

I liked the concept enough to write my own version, set aboard an abandoned Shan teleportation satellite.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hostile V posted:

That's kind of the hook for BLACKSAT in Delta Green. You're a bunch of astronauts who have to take some dangerously unqualified (in the sense that there's a nonzero chance liftoff will cause one of them to just immediately have a heart attack from stress and blood pressure and the other is a chronic smoker) nerds to space to fix a government satellite, there's some grim comedy from having to try and get them up to snuff and then you go up there and everything goes to hell.

The print final version of BLACKSAT removed the best line in the scenario which was that the space shuttle was not designed to fly while on fire as a reason why it was hard to try and re-enter the atmosphere with the shuttle torn up and on fire.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

mellonbread posted:

BLACKSAT has some cool set pieces, but from a gameplay perspective I found it pretty dull. There just wasn't that much that the player characters could actually do in a given situation, other than "roll mission-critical skill" at the narratively appropriate time. It was originally intended as a tutorial to teach the players about skill rolls, and it shows. The other modules in the Control Group pack are miles better, even when they're similarly railroaded (I'm looking at you, Night Visions).

I liked the concept enough to write my own version, set aboard an abandoned Shan teleportation satellite.

I believe BLACKSAT is adapted from The Killer Out Of Space, which is a more elaborate take on Delta Green going to space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

PipHelix posted:

All I want is to solemnly intone about the end of humanity, one last survivalist holed up in a water tight bunker with his family while the remnants of what was Man grunt and forage and rut in the streets of the once great metropolises, pouring the last of their bottled water supply into glasses, one for each family member. Slips a few sleeping tablets into each glass but for one, loading his revolver with shaking hands, then walks out into the common area, a smile plastered on his face below dead eyes, as the door swings shut behind him. The end. There is no more. There is no more. There is no more.

Then I fucken sting em with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2twY8YQYDBE

Now I feel better about everything