Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It was quite a great feeling when we went camping with some friends last weekend (we have all been fully vaccinated) and they gave us a big hug because they hadn't see us in over a year. It's great to finally do things with people as long as you are safe by it. And by safe I mean fully vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Well if you're all vaccinated the evidence suggests you also are not transmittable carriers, so the three year old would not be at heightened risk.

The evidence is not clear on that. This weekend the CDC released info suggesting that vaxxed folks infected with delta may transmit similarly to unvaxxed folks.

https://twitter.com/Bob_Wachter/status/1420974043243503616?s=20

https://twitter.com/Farzad_MD/status/1420931532294959104?s=20

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1421154043422863360?s=20

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

ColdBlooded posted:

One of my buddies has a 3 year old, but other than that I imagine all other members of both their households are fully vaccinated. I live alone, so no worries for that on my end. My buddy with the 3 year old seems comfortable with doing this though; maybe that makes him a dumbass - no idea.

One of them got My City which I had never heard of, but it just came out in 2020 and seems interesting. Otherwise maybe looking at Scythe or one of the Eclipse expansions if we don't want to learn how to play something new.

Sounds like you're all set.

And there's a new Knizia game? This internet stranger says you should definitely play My City then. I gotta check that out. (I stopped following board games closely when I found myself buying too many, so now I stay out of it until games make themselves known through other channels.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

This was a surprisingly interesting panel that's worth checking out, whether or not you're voting in Alberta this fall: https://youtu.be/jPg_QZ2hqz8

Might not be anything new if you're already an expert in equalization payments, but I'm not and I learned some things. Mostly I learned that Alberta's upcoming referendum on the principle of making equalization payments is an even more baffling embarrassment than I realized.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Alright, I scheduled a Monopoly-playing marathon with 7 of my closest friends on Friday. I just have to finish posting Missing Cat signs at the local park and then I'll start preparing the spread of delicious no name products purchased from my local Shoppers Drug Mart.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

eXXon posted:

Alright, I scheduled a Monopoly-playing marathon with 7 of my closest friends on Friday. I just have to finish posting Missing Cat signs at the local park and then I'll start preparing the spread of delicious no name products purchased from my local Shoppers Drug Mart.

will you be driving your Silverado to the park, or biking without a helmet?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you bike remember to stay on the sidewalk for safety and that stop signs don't apply to you.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

McGavin posted:

If you bike remember to stay on the sidewalk for safety and that stop signs don't apply to you.

Speaking of minor things to get upset about : Ottawa had the e-scooters back this summer for part 2 of the pilot and I still hate it. Supposedly the focus for this part of the pilot is the sidewalk riding and improper parking but I'm not sure how much success they've had with that.

I think the concept can be good if people are replacing car trips with scooter trips but there are a lot of downsides. I believe these type of scooters still quickly turn into e-waste. I've heard that they've made improvements but the average lifespan of one can be measured in months and they're cheaper to replace than to repair.
But yeah, mostly it's the sidewalk riding and bad parking. You're not supposed to park them anywhere that doesn't have a sidewalk 'furniture' zone but you can imagine that they are often blocking entire sidewalks.

Makes you want to throw them into the canal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People ride them on the sidewalks when they're meant for the bike lanes, don't wear helmets, leave them everywhere and last week a kid got stabbed during a fight with a car driver over an e scooter right down the street from my work.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Fidelitious posted:

I think the concept can be good if people are replacing car trips with scooter trips but there are a lot of downsides. I believe these type of scooters still quickly turn into e-waste. I've heard that they've made improvements but the average lifespan of one can be measured in months and they're cheaper to replace than to repair.

At least back in 2019, they were so fragile that companies literally couldn't recoup even a quarter of the cost of the scooter before it disintegrated.

Oversharing posted:

So, our scooter company walks away with $2.32 in revenue per day from the average scooter in Louisville. As we said at the beginning, Louisville data indicates that the average scooter was around for between 28 and 32 days. That means the typical scooter generated something like $65 to $75 in revenue for the company after most operating costs over its lifetime.

You see where I’m going with this. Let’s be generous and say the company paid $360 for each scooter, as Bird aims to. At the rates calculated above, that company only recoups $65 to $75 on the cost of each scooter—in other words, it loses $295 to $285 per scooter.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Muscle Tracer posted:

At least back in 2019, they were so fragile that companies literally couldn't recoup even a quarter of the cost of the scooter before it disintegrated.

Venture capital, baby!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One of the weirdest aspects of the e-scooter program in Calgary is that you can use the rentable e-scooters in places and ways that you are forbidden from using your own e-scooter which you've purchased for yourself. No one has ever provided an explanation as to why, beyond "the rental companies paid us money" and frankly I'm not sure an adequate non-corrupt explanation exists.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
What problem do e-scooters solve that hasn't already been solved by bicycles, let alone bicycles with electric assist for hills?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sashimi posted:

What problem do e-scooters solve that hasn't already been solved by bicycles, let alone bicycles with electric assist for hills?

Another question I've had for some time now, considering the law is much more clear about bicycles and how they should be operated in traffic. They also have the capability to (safely) go much faster, as far as I can tell, and there exist variants which are more accessible.

The answer, as best as I can figure, is that they aren't "cool" and "new."

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sashimi posted:

They had bikes in the rental program too they weren't as popular so everyone switched to scooters.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

PT6A posted:

Another question I've had for some time now, considering the law is much more clear about bicycles and how they should be operated in traffic. They also have the capability to (safely) go much faster, as far as I can tell, and there exist variants which are more accessible.

The answer, as best as I can figure, is that they aren't "cool" and "new."

Pretty much the same thing for every "revolutionary" traffic solving idea that isn't "more trains".

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

They are many times cheaper than an electric bicycle, can be folded down and stowed under a desk and they’re still one less car on the road. Companies littering hundreds of them around is bad (unless they are being stolen en masse and having their controllers hacked), but if you have a problem with someone doing their commute on a device that uses less power than my rice cooker you’re just being weird.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A couple companies dropped them all over my city. Downtown is in a valley and the city limits them to 20kph downtown which the companies achieve by limiting the power, which means they don’t have the power to climb any of the hills out of downtown.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Sashimi posted:

Some people (and by some people I mean me) can't ride a bike worth a drat due to brain problems with balance, or just being bad at it

I just walk everywhere anyway, but there's a case to be made for it

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

In my town escooters are largely used by people who lost their licences from DUIs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yinlock posted:

Some people (and by some people I mean me) can't ride a bike worth a drat due to brain problems with balance, or just being bad at it

I just walk everywhere anyway, but there's a case to be made for it

Yeah, I've got problems with balance too. I can ride a bike, but scooters are right out (and trikes exist, in theory, even if adult-sized ones are uncommon and expensive). That's definitely one of the reasons I find it odd that scooters are preferred over bikes. Bikes require some balance but much less than scooters (judging by the way I see people weaving all over the place on scooters, I assume this applies to some degree to everyone).

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Noblesse Obliged posted:

In my town escooters are largely used by people who lost their licences from DUIs

Why do you think E-bikes and E-scooters exist?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I've got problems with balance too. I can ride a bike, but scooters are right out (and trikes exist, in theory, even if adult-sized ones are uncommon and expensive). That's definitely one of the reasons I find it odd that scooters are preferred over bikes. Bikes require some balance but much less than scooters (judging by the way I see people weaving all over the place on scooters, I assume this applies to some degree to everyone).

I can see the argument of "if I'm paying for it I don't expect to put any work in".

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

My older dad can use a scooter but can't get his leg over and across a bike safely. I bet there are quite a few people who can't safely get on/off a bike. Then you add in having to be physically fit enough to power the bike, plus not wanting to arrive wherever you're going sweaty and I can see why scooters might be more successful for a community sharing program. I will keep riding my bike though. I do not like the bike share bikes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Step through bikes and e-bikes don't exist.

I've never understood the sweat issue either. For some reason cyclists think they have to be racing the Gran Fondue or some poo poo. Pedal bikes don't have to be any more sweaty than a light stroll.

e: scooters are fine, whatever, but bikes are nice too. All much better than the pickup trucks that most people seem to love.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 2, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Scooters suck rear end and are just tech bros/VCs trying to find other stupid ways to fix a problem that would be solved by banning motor vehicles from a shitload of streets and then adding more busses more bike infra and ya definitely

ZShakespeare posted:

"more trains".

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I've never understood the sweat issue either. For some reason cyclists think they have to be racing the Gran Fondue or some poo poo. Pedal bikes don't have to be any more sweaty than a light stroll.
I'm on team bike, but it's basically impossible for me not to work up a sweat while climbing a hill, plus due to the seat it all accumulates and gives me a real bad case of Bog rear end. I usually bring a change of clothes everywhere

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
They're giving Dr. Bonnie "Masks Don't Work" Henry the Order of BC for her work on COVID-19, despite the fact that we're currently diving headfirst into a fourth wave with absolutely no leadership.

I'm going back to bed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The deification of public health officers was weird at the start of the pandemic, and it has only gotten weirder since.

Shaking my head at people waving the flag for team “statues of people should be taken down” while wearing a shirt of their local chief public health officer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Scooters are great, and the parking problems have basically sorted themselves out over time in Calgary. They're pretty samey when compared to e-bikes but the scooters are way more popular so :shrug:

Using them is also so much better now that the guidance is to use them in bike paths and side roads, rather than on sidewalks (where operating them is miserable and nobody wants to anyway).

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

At the beginning of the pandemic there was the perception that public health officers took the pandemic seriously and wouldn't bend to political or corporate pressure to downplay COVID or roll back restrictions. Obviously this has been disproven many times over, and now it feels like liberals praising the sort of republican who mildly criticized Trump as soon as they started to worry that their career would suffer

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
scooters are fine but: i) being overtaken by a silent electric motor vehicle piloted by a drunk person while just walking on the sidewalk is very loving annoying; ii) having them dumped all over sidewalks, lawns, and various other surfaces downtown like empty chip bags is also v annoying

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’ve not used the scooters but I wholeheartedly support the project just so I get to read letters to the editor from angry old people about them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

will you be driving your Silverado to the park, or biking without a helmet?

Sorry, I traded that in for a black Dodge Ram 3500 Limited Crew Cab 4x4 so I could have more room for the white Canadian flag, Punisher and Molon Labe stickers.

Speaking of which, how much of a dog whistle are those pure white stickers on black pickups?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

I’ve not used the scooters but I wholeheartedly support the project just so I get to read letters to the editor from angry old people about them.

Iunno, I'm with the angry old people, if only because this is some stupid silicon valley startup BS where the business model is to make it everyone else's problem.

At least, if they're anything like the ones I've heard about from some California based podcasts, the scooters have stupid anti-theft/tamper alarms that complain and/or speak at you if you try to move them and poo poo, as well as low battery alarms or some poo poo? One way another, they like they can be quite annoying even beyond someone zipping past you on one.

There's definitely potential here - I'd love to see better ways to get around cities that aren't reliant on cars, and more flexible or direct then public transit, but I think I'd rather like, an organized public approach that isn't just capitialistic chaos.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PT6A posted:

I'm bad at both but I think i'm worse with bikes, they are mysterious death machines that make no sense

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Is being able to ride a bike one of those rich people things, like swimming? I know I learned to ride a bike as a kid and obviously was fortunate enough to have a bike too. But did poor people not learn because it had a high barrier of entry to purchase a bike?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Oxyclean posted:

Iunno, I'm with the angry old people, if only because this is some stupid silicon valley startup BS where the business model is to make it everyone else's problem.

The difference is your criticism is reasonable and has some basis in reality.

Meanwhile the opinion pages I’m reading compared the introduction of scooters to the Holocaust. They’re also interchangeably a communist mind control plot, a scam being run by doctors to profit off broken limbs and proof of the degradation of our culture.

I don’t have strong feelings either way about the scooters personally. I mostly ignore them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chillyrabbit posted:

Is being able to ride a bike one of those rich people things, like swimming? I know I learned to ride a bike as a kid and obviously was fortunate enough to have a bike too. But did poor people not learn because it had a high barrier of entry to purchase a bike?

I grew up poor as poo poo and I learned to ride a bike because hand-me-downs and donations are a thing assuming you live in a place where there are more people than cows.

I also learned to swim because we had community swimming pools and also the schools did swimming lessons in earlier grades and you didn't have to pay if they knew your parent was on welfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I remember when e-scooters first showed up in Alberta and a cousin told me "you know those are great tools to destroy public transit?" and I was like "what do you mean? doesn't this take more cars off the road?" and he said "no, people still drive their cars everywhere, this is just another avenue to avoid getting on the bus, same with Uber and Lyft."

After a couple years I can't say he's necessarily wrong, I was in Germany in 2019 and there were a lot of people riding e-scooters but there were also a whooooooole lot of people riding bikes and taking public transit. I wasn't in Munich or Berlin but I still found that the car traffic was surprisingly small when compared to traffic in the big centres I've lived in across Canada. If the municipalities were collecting some kind of "transit fee" with people riding e-scooters I think I would be more in favour (especially since they only are around when the snow is off the ground) of them because I like to think we would get more movement on our transit plans that way