Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im actually having a ton of fun, hopefully we can start building a station soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Has anyone put extra thrusters on their ship before? I've got hardpoints but it won't snap to anything or even let me place it in easy build

It won't let me take it out at all if I'm not in the easy build hanger so I'm stumped.

EDIT: This seems to be the same case with any module I try to put on it. I'm also trying to add an extra resource port so me and my buddy can both mine at the same time but it won't let me take it out :/

Someone mentioned using easy build on your bought ship might break it so I don't want to go there, but I should be able to place stuff on it outside of easybuild right?

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 31, 2021

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone have a map of where I could buy a fuel rod? Or reset the game entirely and start on Origin 11 (?) with goons?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So with no PvE what sort of PvP rewards or driving factors are there?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I could have sworn pve was in the cards

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

socialsecurity posted:

So with no PvE what sort of PvP rewards or driving factors are there?

PvP doesn't need a reward if its fun. But its their stuff. You get all their stuff.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
So where are the goons and do we have any organization? Installing now.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I had a lot of complaints about the initial tutorial impression, but I'm glad I didn't refund this, it's a pretty neat thing they have built here and I am amazed I only heard about it a couple of days ago. It has some stutters when playing, but I am kind of blown away I can get such a high frame rate at 4k with this early EA build. I did some jobs, explored the station, practiced flying and had a great time last night.

Does this game support controllers for flight? I was thinking about giving that a try to see if I like it better, right now it's fine with KB since I don't need precision in the early game at least.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

I just had a fairly... unique experience?

Having fiddled with attaching thrusters to my starter ship all day I did the only natural thing and headed for the safe zone border with an assault rifle and lots of ammo.

I found someone happily mining away in what turned out to be a very unsafe area. He had a very expensive ship and died quickly. I burned away from the crime scene in the fancy new ship, aiming for deep space.

However in my jubilation I tried to adjust one of the flight controls while still holding my gun and blew a hole in through the console. The ship accelerated uncontrollably away into deep space. As I tried to plaster the controls back together I accidentally detached another one and it flew off into the void. Eventually with discord advice I crawled into the confined space under the panels and tried to reprogram the flight computer before an asteroid ended my day.

I now need to work out how to manufacture a new control panel (and buttons).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aertuun posted:

I just had a fairly... unique experience?

Having fiddled with attaching thrusters to my starter ship all day I did the only natural thing and headed for the safe zone border with an assault rifle and lots of ammo.

I found someone happily mining away in what turned out to be a very unsafe area. He had a very expensive ship and died quickly. I burned away from the crime scene in the fancy new ship, aiming for deep space.

However in my jubilation I tried to adjust one of the flight controls while still holding my gun and blew a hole in through the console. The ship accelerated uncontrollably away into deep space. As I tried to plaster the controls back together I accidentally detached another one and it flew off into the void. Eventually with discord advice I crawled into the confined space under the panels and tried to reprogram the flight computer before an asteroid ended my day.

I now need to work out how to manufacture a new control panel (and buttons).

lol this owns.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ahahaha amazing.

I managed to jury rig mining lasers onto my momento, but it doesnt have nearlye nough power to run it for more than like 30 seconds. this has inspired me to head into the custom ship builder and actually get one working.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Build mode and test-flight mode are good for seeing how fragile a lot of these ships are. You can blow up a Laborer with one well-placed swing of a pickaxe.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

queeb posted:

ahahaha amazing.

I managed to jury rig mining lasers onto my momento, but it doesnt have nearlye nough power to run it for more than like 30 seconds. this has inspired me to head into the custom ship builder and actually get one working.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how the mining laser assembly works, please how the hell did u figure it out? does it need to be on a hardpoint? what pieces do you need?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I spent some time modifying the default Vasama while waiting for my ship to get refunded:

This one has two rear thrusters, twice the battery capacity, and a resource bridge on front so you can actually recharge the thing when you use it (the base one is basically useless because you can't).

I learned that because it doesn't have a flight computer, you have to perfectly balance its weight, or it drifts when you fly it. Those green plates aren't just decorative, they're necessary to fly straight.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

tokin opposition posted:

So where are the goons and do we have any organization? Installing now.

Doesn’t seem like we have any organization happening yet, but I snagged Goonswarm as a corp name.

If you all drop your names in this thread or DM me on the discord linked in the OP I’ll add you and give you roles.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
So how exactly do I buy more fuel rods? I see I can craft them, but they are locked, I don't see any for sale at the auction or any way to buy them at the big shop. I feel like I am missing something basic here.

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

Rusty posted:

So how exactly do I buy more fuel rods? I see I can craft them, but they are locked, I don't see any for sale at the auction or any way to buy them at the big shop. I feel like I am missing something basic here.

If you unlock the fuel rod tech you can refuel them. They are under a weird category in the AH, I am not on right now to look but make sure you check all categories.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, thanks, I'll find them, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a store I can just buy them from or something.

Edit: I found them, not sure how I kept passing it by.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 1, 2021

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
if I'm understanding the player impressions this is less 'become King poo poo of Sandbox Mountain' and more 'Dwarf Fortress but via Space Engineers', which for an MMO isn't too bad if chuds can be moderated via PvP. Madam Beam Laser says you're taking a day off from building poo poo

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I flew to that giant warp gate and it has multiple buildings with PVP ships for sale, all of them require rare ore so they aren't going to be easy to obtain. There's also a bunch of expensive mining ships for sale.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Bad Games Crew is playing Starbase under Company: COMPUTER

Goons interested in playing can join our Discord: https://discord.gg/MAA8nTD and go to Channel #starbase to request an invite into the company.

We have been buying Mining ships and providing access to all the goons in COMPUTER who wish to join our mining ops. Our goal is to add a Starbase at the edge of PVE space, and later build another station somewhere in PVP Space.

The company is growing, but we need more goons to start deploying stations and ramp up production.

COMPUTER//

Surface
May 5, 2007
<3 boomstick

Surface posted:

Doesn’t seem like we have any organization happening yet, but I snagged Goonswarm as a corp name.

If you all drop your names in this thread or DM me on the discord linked in the OP I’ll add you and give you roles.

Ignore this. I am trying to get into Computer next time I am on.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

I kinda like the Shipbreaker lite stuff, it's pretty simple but it's a decent way to get some pocket change. Don't waste time with the buzzsaw, just hit poo poo with the pick axe, one click breaks anything.

The trick is just pick the smallest ship, you can break it in like 12 hits and repeat. The biggest ship would be more interesting but the back half doesn't get sucked in. The medium stuff is decent if you like doing the activity at all.

Fly out to the asteroid belt, mine poo poo, fly back to station, sell to station. You'll make more spacegold than 4 hours of doing any of the jobs. If you auction your ore you'll make even more though you may have to wait a whole 15 seconds longer than smashing the sell all button.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Yeah, I don't really care that much about efficiency. I was just enjoying cracking poo poo open.

edit: but yeah, anyone else reading this should not spend much time on that activity if they want to actually make $. going out, mining and selling is the fastest by a lot...though i think mining>crafting>selling is more efficient yet

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 1, 2021

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

Yeah, I don't really care that much about efficiency. I was just enjoying cracking poo poo open.

Ripping apart people's ships and then strapping their bits to my ship is one of the highlights of the game for me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah out in the unsafe zone anything goes. Kill people, unbolt stuff from their ship and take it, bolt it on to yours, jack their ore.

I've been playing in the ship builder tho for days, almost have my mining vessel blueprinted. Then I'll scrounge up for it and have a neat 80 cargo fast as poo poo mining vessel with 2 mining lasers, 2 ore collectors, material scanner. Good poo poo.

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 1, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pro tips for people trying the game out, since i've answered each of these questions 50,000 times on the SB discord

-C to toggle snapping in build modes
-M to toggle blueprint off
-Comma to access Auction House when near a station and not sitting down
-Safezone starts 50km out
-When holding objects with E, you can press P to put them into inventory
-Alt+Mousewheel for third person: only when not piloting
- Right cilck on items to mass transfer to station or to auction house

--The Ore Collector you can craft is broken, but you can create an Ore Collector 'Ship' at the Spaceship Designer and print it and that one works
-relatedly, research *does not matter* for the spaceship designer, and the markets are getting better stocked every day. So don't worry too much about research.

zxqv8 posted:

edit: but yeah, anyone else reading this should not spend much time on that activity if they want to actually make $. going out, mining and selling is the fastest by a lot...though i think mining>crafting>selling is more efficient yet

At the rate people are smashing into asteroids at 120 m/s, there'll soon be lots of salvaging content *nod*

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 1, 2021

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
game... fun?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Guys I'm hearing conflicting opinions here. Is it fun for like 3 hours or does it actually have something going for it?
We dunked on it for like 2 years, but I need some truth here Brothers

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

kaffo posted:

Guys I'm hearing conflicting opinions here. Is it fun for like 3 hours or does it actually have something going for it?
We dunked on it for like 2 years, but I need some truth here Brothers

it's genuinely pretty slick and interesting. i think it will go places once they fix the terrible, terrible bugs. But if the thought of mining fills you with anguish...don't buy.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
It honestly seems like the goons that are playing are moving pretty quick. It might not be long before rudimentary goonunism is up and running and new players can just get in and start acting like morons without much grind.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just give me a gun and I will happily let myself be loaded into a rail gun and fired at enemy ships.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Demiurge4 posted:

Just give me a gun and I will happily let myself be loaded into a rail gun and fired at enemy ships.

My dream for any game like this is to do exclusively boarding actions; get loaded into a one use projectile-ship and if the ship collision doesn't do it, do gremlin poo poo myself.

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

FireWhizzle posted:

game... fun?

Is that a combat ship you're flying? Where's the best place to get them?

We just spent the past few hours driving around shooting at miners with assault rifles. If you can get a soft spot the rifles are great, but they don't have much punch otherwise.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Where are you guys going to get out of the safe zone and see other player stations? A friend and I flew way out looking for stuff and mostly just ended up in the middle of nowhere with nothing. We figured out getting to moons require using the jump gate in the middle of all the origin stations but that requires a jump drive. Since no one can build and put that on their ship right now with easy build broken I'm wondering where you guys are finding these other stations?

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Where are you guys going to get out of the safe zone and see other player stations? A friend and I flew way out looking for stuff and mostly just ended up in the middle of nowhere with nothing. We figured out getting to moons require using the jump gate in the middle of all the origin stations but that requires a jump drive. Since no one can build and put that on their ship right now with easy build broken I'm wondering where you guys are finding these other stations?

As I understand it people already have jump drives and have started bringing ore back from the moon. Someone said flying to the nearest moon without one takes 40RL hours.

The "advanced" ship builder still works, as does just researching the tech and crafting the item manually and attaching it to your ship. However I find the research tree Objectionable, so I just either buy the items or get someone to craft them for me.

The safe zone is only about 50km around the origin stations. There are a LOT of player stations in the safe zone at the moment; maybe tinker with your transponder settings so you can see them?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

It honestly seems like the goons that are playing are moving pretty quick. It might not be long before rudimentary goonunism is up and running and new players can just get in and start acting like morons without much grind.

It’s up and running. We settled on a mass buy easy upgrade ship and mass printed like five of them. I’ve been stapling mining lasers on them, and have been ferrying newbies out in mine to laser down full hauls in a few minutes so they can buy their own.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Aertuun posted:

As I understand it people already have jump drives and have started bringing ore back from the moon. Someone said flying to the nearest moon without one takes 40RL hours.

The "advanced" ship builder still works, as does just researching the tech and crafting the item manually and attaching it to your ship. However I find the research tree Objectionable, so I just either buy the items or get someone to craft them for me.

The safe zone is only about 50km around the origin stations. There are a LOT of player stations in the safe zone at the moment; maybe tinker with your transponder settings so you can see them?

Ah, I didn't want to risk our store bought ship to try and slap a jump drive on it in easy build in case it breaks ours.

Are there any good docs or videos out there on how transponders and signal interceptors work? I have no idea what a transponder actually does, I assume it causes our ship to show up with it's name to other players, but I've never seen other player's names show up at a distance either

EDIT: Found some transponder settings in the menu, guess we'll see how that works

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 2, 2021

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I am here for the computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
God drat you guys have me dangerously close to grabbing it and dedicating my life to Computer.
I'll see how my week goes.