Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's spelled ow

I really appreciate this.

edit: terrible page snipe, I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's spelled ow

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Crapper construction: it's spelled ow

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jows posted:

I love how the flooring guy just ran with it

Your funeral if you're running anywhere near that thing.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Facebook Aunt posted:

You might remember some people freaking out about stretch ceilings during the Sochi Olympics, but it's not crappy construction. It's a way to get a S M O O T H ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkybnN8XdzM

Why do that instead of a regular drop ceiling or frame and drywall? The stretch ceiling looks way fussier and one mistake when you're having a sword fight in the basement and it's gone in one shot.

Basement sword fights happen more often than you think.

Also, it's easy to fix the rat problem. Just put a couple of weasels up in there. They'll sort it out. Weasels are the best for pest control. They're generally quiet and they don't make a mess. Just keep them full of mice and other pests. I had a weasel living with me for a few years in the ceiling. He kept everything free from mice. He left at some point. I do keep the ground squirrels in the garage. They keep the gray squirrels out.

Keep the hunter-killers inside. If they stay, that means you have pests. If you see spiders, let them be. House centipedes, let them be. Once they've gotten rid of the real pests, they leave. Granted, weasels are excessive, but they usually stay hidden in the walls or the ceiling. They don't bug you.

When the work is done, they all leave. Yes, I sound insane but my house is backed up to the woods so I always have pests coming in no matter how tight I seal my house, they find a way when winter hits.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mostlygray posted:

Why do that instead of a regular drop ceiling or frame and drywall?

The contractors in half or more of this country can't figure out how to tape and mud drywall properly and instead popcorn/knockdown the gently caress out of it. So alternate solutions for this seemingly unachievable goal aren't too much of a surprise to me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

mostlygray posted:

I had a weasel living with me for a few years in the ceiling.

this did sound insane to me, but then I remembered the various times I've had a black rat snake living in the attic.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

mostlygray posted:

Why do that instead of a regular drop ceiling or frame and drywall? The stretch ceiling looks way fussier and one mistake when you're having a sword fight in the basement and it's gone in one shot.

Billy, if you pop the ceiling you're grounded for a month!

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
If the stretch ceiling has better acoustics than smooth drywall I could see it being a decent option for someone who wants the smooth look instead of popcorn, knockdown, acoustic tiles, etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If your roof leaks instead of ugly stains on your drop ceiling you get, uh, this:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd have a tough time not popping that nipple.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Not super crappy, but I saw this on a recent MLS listing:

Because the seller/agent couldn't take 2 minutes to get the $10 Walmart fan out of the picture, you now know why vaulted ceilings suck rear end and that this room will never be comfortable. Enjoy sitting in your main room sweating your rear end off even with a ceiling fan and a box fan blowing on you at full speed. The Winter will be worse, so you have that to look forward to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That god drat lay-z boy just hanging out.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Room hasn’t changed since 1993

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

How much direct sun you think comes in that window

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Facebook Aunt posted:

If your roof leaks instead of ugly stains on your drop ceiling you get, uh, this:

Hey, at least it's not on all their poo poo!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Ceiling nipple.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
More like ceiling cancer. This is what happens when the ceiling nipples metastasize.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ceiling of Damocles lookin tight

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Working on my own crappy construction...

Looking at house blueprints and I noticed that the engineer wrote "10-10" on a measurement. I know it's some kind of notation for 10" and a mystery fraction. Anyone have a chart to explain?

Other measurements I think I know...

1-10-05 (1'10 1/2")
2-11-08 (2'11 1/8')
2-04 (2 1/4")

But then there is another with a "-09" at the end. Is it supposed to be 9/16?

Edit : so truss manufacturing is done in 1/16", so a -05 is 5/16"

Blistex fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 30, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/w8lid/status/1420838230635732995?s=12

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey, at least it's not on all their poo poo!

On the other hand, now they have to pop the ceiling pimple without getting it all on their poo poo

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Moatman posted:

On the other hand, now they have to pop the ceiling pimple without getting it all on their poo poo

I mean, I at least can put down a spill kit or tarps or something.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

:stare:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The notching engineered beams goon went into the trades huh

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

what, you want me to drill new holes for my conduit?? i don't think so!!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Thank God it's not on a Nuclear Sub or pre-EMALS supercarrier.

High pressure steam is the stuff of nightmares.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

We're buying a house and just did an inspection today. I think I found something worthy of the thread.

The house has a nice mister system installed on the back porch.

It's tied in to a tee on a spigot right next to the back porch over here.

I can't see where the hose gets from ground level to the misters though. Tracing backwards...

Oh. Oh no. Looking lower.

It's a tidy installation, I'll give them that much. The previous owner installed an outlet high up on the back side of the house for lighting around the perimeter of the porch (seen in the pic of the misters) and a TV hanging on the back of the house. They extended the circuit from an existing outlet on the back of the house, somehow removing its GFCI protection on that leg in the process. Halfway up the wall, there's a switch controlling the new high outlet. The water hose runs up the inside of the electrical conduit, behind the switch, and pops out from behind the new high outlet before snaking its way over to the perimeter of the porch.

I'm not familiar with codes myself, but I feel like water and non-GFCI-protected 120V electricity shouldn't share an electrical conduit...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That’s just a potential groundwater line

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

smax posted:

I'm not familiar with codes myself, but I feel like water and non-GFCI-protected 120V electricity shouldn't share an electrical conduit...

You have to respect the effort expended to get it soo wrong. Pulling a hose through an already occupied conduit... They could've just ziptied it to the outside, which would be questionable, but not outright stupid.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

An apartment in London with no door, only a window. The original listing went down after catching too much heat, so they relisted it: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/107678579#/?channel=RES_LET

How is this even legal? It seemingly violates every single fire and disability law there is.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

kid sinister posted:

How is this even legal? It seemingly violates every single fire and disability law there is.
I suspect you have answered your own question there.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I knew London was pretty bad but seven hundred and fifty pounds

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

My Lovely Horse posted:

I knew London was pretty bad but seven hundred and fifty pounds

If you want a place to park your motorcycle it’s 400 pounds!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Client: can you replace my leaky showerhead, I'm not sure where my water shutoff is maybe the basement. Also a few outlets in the house seem to not be working if you could figure that out that would be great

There is a leaky pipe above the box.. :thunk: is the breaker supposed to drip like that?

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Client: can you replace my leaky showerhead, I'm not sure where my water shutoff is maybe the basement. Also a few outlets in the house seem to not be working if you could figure that out that would be great

There is a leaky pipe above the box.. :thunk: is the breaker supposed to drip like that?

And only the orange wire has a proper drip loop, shame.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

kid sinister posted:

An apartment in London with no door, only a window. The original listing went down after catching too much heat, so they relisted it: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/107678579#/?channel=RES_LET

I'm in if the other window-half also opens so I can at least get a couch and stuff in there. I can deal with the urban hobbit hole door as long as I can get my stuff in first

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

therobit posted:

If you want a place to park your motorcycle it’s 400 pounds!
I think I'm just gonna ramp it up the stairs and out the window every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Least I'm not worried about spilling my two buck chuck with that carpet.