Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jakabite posted:

God it would be loving amazing if football slid further and further left as a sporting community, which honestly I think it will. That might actually be the only way I can see a revolution happening in the U.K. - if football and left wing politics become inextricably and closely intertwined. I’m probably just being optimistic but a guy can hope.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sP9l9HBJ1o0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Surprised how many people like the Max Landis series, I watched the first couple episodes and quickly hated it. I didn’t know he was involved at first and when I saw his name in the credits realised ‘of course’ because it has that tone

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Marmaduke! posted:

This is about the closest to genuine journalism from a Brit that I've read in a long time
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/tried-morrisons-cafes-full-english-5706129.amp

You reckon? It reads very like much like an account from a Christian missionary in deepest, darkest africa.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Noxville posted:

Surprised how many people like the Max Landis series, I watched the first couple episodes and quickly hated it. I didn’t know he was involved at first and when I saw his name in the credits realised ‘of course’ because it has that tone

Yeah I was exactly the same. I can't really describe what the issue with Max Landis's writing is (you know beyond him being an entitled sex pest who only got into the industry because of nepotism) but I couldn't get past the first couple of episodes.

I thought the Stephen Mangham Dirk Gently was okay though.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

What film was he watching?

The Beach That Makes You Get Old

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the first season of dirk gently is sublime, the second is dogshit

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Trickjaw posted:

You reckon? It reads very like much like an account from a Christian missionary in deepest, darkest africa.

Supermarket cafes are about as far from the light of God as it's possible to be, so that checks out.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Trickjaw posted:

Still better than the drek most of our alleged journalists pump out

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Good to see my home town being on the front pages for the first time since they made loads of counter terror arrests there.

Pretty shocking that in that horrible true blue Range Rover constituency that there is so much food poverty - unless you've actually been anywhere close to the town centre for the last fifteen years.

Article speculates that 'blue wall' deprivation like this will worry the Tories as it may affect their vote, but let's face it, they probably won't.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Absolute tune, never really listened to the lyrics properly though. I like that they’ve just thrown both footballs in together, with references to sweepers and strikers as well as (gently caress) Tom Brady lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jedit posted:

Supermarket cafes are about as far from the light of God as it's possible to be, so that checks out.

It’s in Yate as well, which is a shithole.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

There are a ton of shows that get a first season that's really good and interesting and doing something genuinely new, and then when they're successful they get passed on to a big-name producer who can 'handle them properly.'

Only the producer has made big figures by producing homogenised shite, and so all they know to do is add mainstream appeal tropes. The fanbase gets annoyed at the added shite, while new mainstream audiences are turned off by the shows original appeal, and the viewing figures turn to shite when they lose both.

I realised halfway through I was talking about the Labour party sorry. Although it definitely applies to a lot of things Jeph Loeb has been involved with.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the Stephen mangan one felt a lot closer to the source material, which was excellent, I need to rewatch it/reread it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I really enjoyed the Mangan Dirk Gently. Didn’t even know there was another.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Whatever about Hitchhikers or Pratchett, but the Dirk Gently books seem so especially dependent on the writing and the kinda gently British pastiche of the detective genre that I don't see the point in watching any of those adaptations

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

All I remember from the dirk gently show is that dirk is basically the opposite of his character in the books and is just doctor who/sherlock.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm confused, a thread consensus usually starts to emerge by this point, do I need to watch Dirk Gently or not, and, if so, which one? I did watch the first couple of episodes of one of them a few years ago, it definitely felt like a Sherlock knock-off, didn't really grab me but honestly I didn't give it a fair shot

Finished watching the Good Place last night btw (after watching the first series-and-a-half years ago), I thought it trailed off a bit through most of the final series when they're running the experiment, but the ending was way better than I expected. Just yet another "if you haven't watched it yet, do it" voice.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

I actually really liked the second season - the Eat, Pray, Love mum was a great villain, John Hannah is always great, and I liked how it took the absurd nonsense fairytale land and played it with absolute seriousness. And I'm a sucker for silly names like Litzibit Trost.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

therattle posted:

I really enjoyed the Mangan Dirk Gently. Didn’t even know there was another.

I really enjoyed the pilot episode of this (can recommend, works well as a standalone thing), but the actual show (well, three episodes) they made like 2 years later are very hit-and-miss.

The BBC America show was alright, has a radically different feel and far removed from the tone of the books though. Admittedly I only watched the first season of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

All I remember from the dirk gently show is that dirk is basically the opposite of his character in the books and is just doctor who/sherlock.

Yeah I hate both of those so probably not worth checking that out then. Will probably investigate the Watch series tho, and also that series of The City & The City I've had on my DVR for 2 years

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
It's perhaps worth pointing out that the genesis of Dirk Gently was of course an unaired (due to a strike) Tom Baker Dr. Who arc - Reg was originally a Time Lord and his chambers a TARDIS (the line about its user interface being whatever its operator wanted being canon for later TARDIS redesigns), and Dirk, the Electric Monk, and the basic plot of Long Dark Teatime (Norse gods are real and living in London) were all parts of scripts Adams had proposed for Who at various times.

Also of course Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock is massively influenced by latter-day Who, sharing a showrunner and a big chunk of production staff with the Matt Smith era. As such it's probably not surprising there's a bit of a resemblance between the two, IMO.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

https://thebristolcable.org/2021/08...t-papua-labour/

Decent journalism here. West of England Labour mayor directed a company trying to cut down rainforests

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dirk comes off as a very different character between the two books, probably mostly because of the shift in perspective. In the first I can see him being a Sherlock like figure, really more than the actual Holmes was. In the second we get to see how much of his apparent mad genius is just flailing incompetence that works out because the universe is bending over backwards for him. And it's worth mentioning that at least some of DGHDA did make it into a finished Doctor Who story, the villain's ultimate goal is essentially what it was in City of Death.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

https://thebristolcable.org/2021/08...t-papua-labour/

Decent journalism here. West of England Labour mayor directed a company trying to cut down rainforests

loving hell, the cheek to paint yourself as an environmentalist while profiting off deforestation is bad enough but doing it in a place under a pretty nasty colonial occupation by Indonesia is a nice tasty poo poo-flavoured cherry on the ice cream sundae of Labour Party awfulness.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

lmao the ratio on that tweet now.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dabir posted:

Dirk comes off as a very different character between the two books, probably mostly because of the shift in perspective. In the first I can see him being a Sherlock like figure, really more than the actual Holmes was. In the second we get to see how much of his apparent mad genius is just flailing incompetence that works out because the universe is bending over backwards for him. And it's worth mentioning that at least some of DGHDA did make it into a finished Doctor Who story, the villain's ultimate goal is essentially what it was in City of Death.

Dirk is a little lazy fat guy in a silly hat who doesn't wanna do any hard work and only pretends to know what's happening
then lucks into some great mystery because of his supernatural luck - which he distrusts and hates

He was my hero

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Covid app has been 'tweaked' to notify fewer people to isolate.

I'm sure this will be fine.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Covid is over anyway, didn't you get the memo.

Back to the office you lazy shirkers.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The Perfect Element posted:

Good to see my home town being on the front pages for the first time since they made loads of counter terror arrests there.

Pretty shocking that in that horrible true blue Range Rover constituency that there is so much food poverty - unless you've actually been anywhere close to the town centre for the last fifteen years.

Article speculates that 'blue wall' deprivation like this will worry the Tories as it may affect their vote, but let's face it, they probably won't.

I mean it'd be a tremendous danger if the opposition was offering anything to change that so unless by some miracle Zarah Sultana or Claudia Webbe get made Labour Leader, not really something that the Tories will be losing sleep over.

They must be thanking Dead Thatcher every day that the Labour right managed to sabotage Corbs in 2017, can you imagine how hosed they'd be by a government that made things a bit better for folks?

E; also it's moderately notable that a random backbencher is saying this but the fact a Tory work and pensions minister has been fighting for extending an extra benefit amount, and has tried to find a compromise to keep it for at least some people, shows how terrible things really are. If Coffey is going "no guys people really do need this extra twenty quid a week" then Christ she must be seeing some grim statistics

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 2, 2021

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The bbc america dirk gently series has these thing in common with the source material:

A person named 'dirk gently'
The idea of a 'holistic' approach to solving a mystery.

I liked it a lot though. It took a while to get on its slightly naff wavelength but whats to dislike about a show that includes the rowdy 3 or the really fun idea of a 'holistic assassin'. The second series went full on crazytown with the plot and it ruled.

gently caress max landis tho.

Edit for balance i should say that like all Douglas adams created stuff the books are great, as are the bbc audios (the second which is actually changed a lot to include more characters from the first book) and the sherlock knockoff with stephen mangam was cool too. Adapt everything douglas adams ever did in as many different mediums as possible imo.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 2, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

People poo poo on the hitchhikers movie but its grown on me over time and I liked that Ford is doing something different with his towel in pretty much every scene

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chubby Henparty posted:

People poo poo on the hitchhikers movie but its grown on me over time and I liked that Ford is doing something different with his towel in pretty much every scene

Yeah, I think anyone who complains that an adaptation of any Douglas Adams thing doesn't stick to the original material doesn't really understand Douglas Adams, who completely rewrote the entire story at least 3 times and would *definitely* have done so again with the Salmon of Doubt had he lived.

The film is fine if a bit Hollywood-ised - the only real disappointment for me is that what should have been easily the best bit of casting in movie history, Sam Rockwell as Zaphod, just... didn't seem to work. I can't even put my finger on why, it just seemed like all of his scenes felt weirdly forced and just not-fun.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
They got the special effects just right and pretty much every change people complain about was something Adams wrote into the script himself before he died.

Also in a very Adamsey adaptations feeding into each other way they recorded a new cover of the Theme tune for the movie that was later reused for when they recorded radio versions of the last books.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm a simple girl, a movie has Zooey Deschanel in it I watch

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah she was pretty nice in that

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Borrovan posted:

I'm confused, a thread consensus usually starts to emerge by this point, do I need to watch Dirk Gently or not, and, if so, which one? I did watch the first couple of episodes of one of them a few years ago, it definitely felt like a Sherlock knock-off, didn't really grab me but honestly I didn't give it a fair shot

The wife and I quite enjoyed the two series of the Landis show.

It was good, quirky and fine TV to watch. That being said, once I discovered Landis was involved, I had to put aside his involvement in my head.
The same thing that happened when I watched Mr. Right. It’s a good movie and it has good performances by Sam Rockwell and Anna Kendrick. But the plot (Sam Rockwell is the worlds greatest hitman, because he can feel the flow of the world. And he teaches Anna Kendrrick how to do this and now she too is the greatest hitperson ever.) is the most Max Landis story*. And while I enjoyed the film, knowing he was involved did reduce it in my head.

Borrovan posted:

Finished watching the Good Place last night btw (after watching the first series-and-a-half years ago), I thought it trailed off a bit through most of the final series when they're running the experiment, but the ending was way better than I expected. Just yet another "if you haven't watched it yet, do it" voice.

So I really loved the Good Place, right up until the ending. I will effort post about it if people want to, but basically the ending spoiled a show that I otherwise really like and would rewatch.

* = Of course the most Max Landis story ever is that Fan Fic he wrote where the Spider-Man villain, The Shocker believes in himself to become the greatest superhero ever. Who kills Galactus (so Shocker’s government agent dad can loot the Devourer of Worlds ship and still his poo poo) and defeats Bullseye by making his testicles explode.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
my ex used to poke me in the face and say boyfrieeeeeend like the weird goblin girl in dirk gently s2. I didn't understand it until I watched it later after we broke up. thats all

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You missed the best one...

https://twitter.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1421879343169654785?s=19

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That’s bloody brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Chubby Henparty posted:

My pet take is that Sam Rockwell could have been amazing as Zaphod if they hadn't got him to play it badly concussed. I got really excited when I saw the posters and how he looked, didn't particularly care about the head-under-the-head thing, and thought when he was not dazed he did a pretty good job. And then one of the story's best personalities just wasn't there.

The Question IRL posted:

I will effort post about it if people want to, but basically the ending spoiled a show that I otherwise really like and would rewatch.
I second this motion because I liked the ending but wasn't 100% satisfied by it. Hard to say if any resolutiom to that show ever really could satisfy anyone without saying 'this philosophy is the correct one.'