Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kenning posted:

Does anyone know about the large-scale viability of fog harvesting? I think that's a thing they do in Peru or something, but I don't know if it's an actually viable water production method.

i don't know about the current tech for fog harvesting, but the historical attempts i know of using large passive structures to condense and collect the fog have not been efficient enough to justify their construction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Harsh condemnation of torrey pine trees

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if a species occupies about 1 square kilometer split between two landmasses after millennia to grow then i don't know what to tell you, and this is coming from someone who spent time in the grove on santa rosa

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1422198732141961222?s=20

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if a species occupies about 1 square kilometer split between two landmasses after millennia to grow then i don't know what to tell you, and this is coming from someone who spent time in the grove on santa rosa

Did you work there? My wife did as a 19 yr old.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Did you work there? My wife did as a 19 yr old.

no, the vast majority of my time on the island was recreational. i did a bit of student research on the island, but not in the pine grove

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no, the vast majority of my time on the island was recreational. i did a bit of student research on the island, but not in the pine grove

Are we talking about bohemian grove or something else?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol

https://www.sfexaminer.com/news/grow-sf-new-tech-group-aims-to-promote-moderate-ideals-to-political-newcomers/

I cant believe Chesa Boudin ordered antifa to increase the crime rate and spread covid everywhere and then antifa dared to try to remove racist names from schools when will this communist madness end wow thanks bernie bros

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my two cents on desaling seawater : i think techbros have a hard on for it because they heard the vocab word "reverse osmosis" and think its some sort of ultra supa science thing.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
people in the state can be as squeamish as they want, i think the realities of climate change are going to make toilet to tap inevitable within the next decade

there's no possible way that something as expensive and bound in red tape as desal gets mass rollout before water districts tell the public to suck it up and get ready for water recycling on a larger scale

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PhazonLink posted:

my two cents on desaling seawater : i think techbros have a hard on for it because they heard the vocab word "reverse osmosis" and think its some sort of ultra supa science thing.

I think it's more that California has huge drought problems and also the third largest coastline in the country. It makes sense the average person would look at these two things and think "well gently caress we have desal technology, right? So why not just build a ton of desalination plants? Hell, all those people screaming about climate change are mad about the sea level rising, so pulling water out of the ocean and making it drinkable is win-win!" Also yes, people of all stripes - particularly politicians - are enamored with technological solutions that promise to be the silver bullet to societal woes. "Desalination will fix the drought" is about as true as "self-driving cars will fix traffic" but that won't stop policy-makers from favoring it over much more realistic but politically unpopular solutions.

Desal is noisy, expensive, energy intensive, and unless you pay to transport the brine by-product to in-land storage damaging to the local marine life, particularly on the sea floor where the brine sinks to. Unless California does a 180 and goes hard in on nuclear the huge energy requirements would be largely offset by fossil fuels as well.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

Desal is noisy, expensive, energy intensive, and unless you pay to transport the brine by-product to in-land storage damaging to the local marine life, particularly on the sea floor where the brine sinks to. Unless California does a 180 and goes hard in on nuclear the huge energy requirements would be largely offset by fossil fuels as well.

Build more solar in order to power the pumps that send the brine to the Central Valley where a new government worker job can take garden hoses and spray the almond orchards with the brine, thereby solving three problems at once - brine disposal, destroying the almond orchards (and making it so they can't just be replanted, and providing jobs to offset those lost by almond orchard loss.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Sydin posted:

I agree that thinking desal is a silver bullet is naive, but out-of-hand dismissal of the technology is wrong too. All of the problems you mentioned can be mitigated with today's technology, and there is tons of research going into improving efficiency and mitigating waste. Desal can be a valuable tool in combating the drought, along with regulating water-intensive crops (almonds, alfalfa, etc), improved rainfall capture, and recycling grey water.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trying to solve global warming, drought, and related problems through technology alone will be just like how trying to solve covid with vaccination alone has turned out. there will be some technological breakthroughs on par with the mRNA vaccines, the technology will be rolled out, and then political leaders will pat themselves on the back for a job well done and declare to problem solved while really only making a small dent and doing nothing to confront the actual causes of the problem.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Shear Modulus posted:

trying to solve global warming, drought, and related problems through technology alone will be just like how trying to solve covid with vaccination alone has turned out. there will be some technological breakthroughs on par with the mRNA vaccines, the technology will be rolled out, and then political leaders will pat themselves on the back for a job well done and declare to problem solved while really only making a small dent and doing nothing to confront the actual causes of the problem.

The best we can hope for is that technology makes our doomed future slightly better, good luck with changing basic human nature to enact real change.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

You demonstrate that you don't understand how groundbreaking mRNA vaccines are in the management of COVID, currently dealt with diseases, and future issues.

At the same time the actions of people (individuals, groups, governments) are significantly responsible for how badly the pandemic has been managed.

But the mRNA vaccines aren't, "a small dent."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Been hearing about potential pork shortages coming up due to some CA law. So look forward to people blaming libs for high bacon prices for the next two years.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

You demonstrate that you don't understand how groundbreaking mRNA vaccines are in the management of COVID, currently dealt with diseases, and future issues.

At the same time the actions of people (individuals, groups, governments) are significantly responsible for how badly the pandemic has been managed.

But the mRNA vaccines aren't, "a small dent."

The mRNA vaccines were absolutely a massive technological breakthrough, but after almost a year of their deployment Covid cases and hospitalizations in the US are right back to the peak levels of the pre-vaccine waves. The actions of "individuals, groups, and governments" are what made this failure possible. Eradicating or nearly eradicating the virus is possible with the right policy response, the mRNA vaccines would have made that eradication much easier by, for example, adding mandatory vaccinations to the policy response, but there was no real attempt to do what was necessary. Instead the vaccines' success was used as an excuse to discontinue successful policy mitigation strategies like masking and limiting indoor gatherings, which in turn undid the progress that had been made.

The same is true of potentially trying to fix California drought with desalination plants or what have you. A wildly successful desalination technological breakthrough will just free up more water for the market to allocate to almond farming.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 3, 2021

Psychomax
Apr 4, 2009
I got an email from Doug "Planned Parenthood sells fetus organs on the black market" LaMalfa about the drought and wildfires.

Doug LaMalfa posted:

I am again advocating for reforms in forestry practices to thin our overgrown forests and reduce the most likely culprit of community threatening catastrophic fires - roadways and powerlines - by increasing the buffer zone around both. Unfortunately Democrat policies are focused more on climate change than solving the cause of catastrophic wildfires, chronically mismanaged forests. Regardless of if you think climate change is the culprit or not, we must act now to combat the vegetative overgrowth and over 160 million dying trees in our forests. This is the immediate cause of these extreme fires in not only District 1, but the western part of the United States. Common sense legislation needs to be passed and implemented to protect our communities, wildlife and the environment.

How much of an issue are "mismanaged forests" really? It sounds like a dog whistle of some sort, but I don't know anything about wildfire management. I also don't know how LaMalfa got my email address.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Psychomax posted:

I got an email from Doug "Planned Parenthood sells fetus organs on the black market" LaMalfa about the drought and wildfires.

How much of an issue are "mismanaged forests" really? It sounds like a dog whistle of some sort, but I don't know anything about wildfire management. I also don't know how LaMalfa got my email address.

It's a big issue since California still isn't raking the forests years after Trump told us to

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Panfilo posted:

Been hearing about potential pork shortages coming up due to some CA law. So look forward to people blaming libs for high bacon prices for the next two years.

It's your usual tale of a massive industry sitting on its hands until the last minute then going to every newspaper they can find to complain that it's too expensive, they didn't have enough time, the regulations are unclear, boo hoo let me break out the world's smallest violin

https://apnews.com/article/lifestyle-business-health-california-coronavirus-pandemic-5ebe70407fcd94ef712c16410f32c4b1

quote:

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market.

quote:

The California Department of Food and Agriculture said that although the detailed regulations aren’t finished, the key rules about space have been known for years.

“It is important to note that the law itself cannot be changed by regulations and the law has been in place since the Farm Animal Confinement Proposition (Prop 12) passed by a wide margin in 2018,” the agency said in response to questions from the AP.

The pork industry has filed lawsuits but so far courts have supported the California law. The National Pork Producers Council and a coalition of California restaurants and business groups have asked Gov. Gavin Newsom to delay the new requirements. The council also is holding out hope that meat already in the supply chain could be sold, potentially delaying shortages.

Pretty obvious they thought they'd be able to get a friendly court ruling from a conservative judge somewhere and now that they've failed they're realizing they're about to lose access to 15% of their market. Like the article says the egg and veal industries shrugged and adapted, but dumbass pig farmers in Iowa thought they could get away with ignoring it. But yeah already seeing tweets from conservative dipshits bragging about how much cheaper their bacon is going to be than in Commiefornia.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Papers are already doing this. Every article I saw about it spun it as some unreasonable and impractical burden. Extra points for interviewing minority restaurant owners who :ohdear: "Don't know of they are going to survive the year, what with lockdowns and now this..."

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

HelloSailorSign posted:

Wow way to tease out the causal arrow there. Might as well just say it’s God’s will or human nature to suffer with that broad of an analysis.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Iowa hog producers, which include the, “well we’ve got too many hogs because the slaughterhouses are shut down, let’s turn off their ventilation and overheat them to death” groups, don’t inspire sympathy from me.

Centrist Committee posted:

Wow way to tease out the causal arrow there. Might as well just say it’s God’s will or human nature to suffer with that broad of an analysis.

Public health analysis is a complicated and interesting subject that has many facets which can be an important part of overall outcomes! I’m glad you recognize that.

It’s also true that red areas are dead set (lmao) on demonstrating the usefulness of vaccination.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Psychomax posted:

we do need better fire management regimens in the state, but that all involves complicated issues like better land use planning and improved permitting where a bunch of stakeholders intersect and hard choices have to be made, whereas they're advocating for selling off possible timberlands at basement prices so private interest can make a buck off public resources without actually solving any problems

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1422346185097027585

lmao

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kenning posted:

I am not worried about Caitlyn Jenner.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

If you can get in on it politics is one hell of a grift.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

we do need better fire management regimens in the state, but that all involves complicated issues like better land use planning and improved permitting where a bunch of stakeholders intersect and hard choices have to be made, whereas they're advocating for selling off possible timberlands at basement prices so private interest can make a buck off public resources without actually solving any problems

Also better forest management doesn't help much when PG&E runs power lines decades overdue for maintenance through that land and all it'd take is one strong gust of wind to slam high voltage lines into the nearby foliage.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sydin posted:

Imagine looking at the looted corpse of the Trump 2020 campaign and deciding, yeah I want that guy to run my campaign, he seems to have the right stuff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

Imagine looking at the looted corpse of the Trump 2020 campaign and deciding, yeah I want that guy to run my campaign, he seems to have the right stuff.

The trick to understanding is to realize that the objective is not to win the election, but to increase your own wealth while campaigning. You have a better chance of doing that if you put another grifter in charge compared to if you hire a legit campaign manager.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

Also better forest management doesn't help much when PG&E runs power lines decades overdue for maintenance through that land and all it'd take is one strong gust of wind to slam high voltage lines into the nearby foliage.

Also a lot of the forest that would need to be managed better is federal land, not state.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
if you live in the colfax area you need to evacuate now

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1423068878507175936

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Given what I've heard in this thread and from other people that live outside cities, I imagine anyone that doesn't live in a city in California basically has to live with the hanging fear that your home could be erased in a matter of days by fires.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

no hay camino posted:

Given what I've heard in this thread and from other people that live outside cities, I imagine anyone that doesn't live in a city in California basically has to live with the hanging fear that your home could be erased in a matter of days by fires.

lmao let me tell you about living in a city that keeps catching on fire

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

no hay camino posted:

Entire town if you happened to live in Paradise, but yeah.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol
https://twitter.com/politics_polls/status/1423071934275784706?s=21

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Remain?! Really puts a point on how we're gonna brexit this, huh.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

SurveyUSA has an A rating: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/surveyusa/

It's also an online poll, so that can affect demographics answering, as opposed to when they cold call phones.

Edit:

Furthermore, if you go to the top left, there's a dropdown to change it from "Percentages" to "Counts/Frequencies".
Of the 1100 polled, and of those registered to vote, they identified:
261 Republican
406 Democrat
195 Independent

Question 2 gets into likelihood of voting among 888 Registered voters; of those likely and above:
220 Republican
251 Democrat
134 Independent

Question 3 gets into if they'll vote Yes or No on Question 1 among the 613 Likely voters
Yes
185 Republican
58 Democrat
67 Independant

No
27 Republican
168 Democrat
45 Independent

Question 4 gets into who you would vote for, among 545 Likely Voters who will vote for a Replacement (people who left it blank were removed from the results).
This is where we get the two top contenders
Kevin Paffrath (D) (Okay? Only person on the poll with a (D) next to their name): 145 total
3 Republican
119 Democrat
23 Independent

Larry Elder (R): 126 total
89 Republican
4 Democrat
33 Independent

Now, what's more interesting in question 4 is the Vote on Recall column
Of those likely voters who would vote for Kevin Paffrath, the only (D) on the poll, 91 of those who would vote for him would vote No on Recall, and 36 would vote Yes. Almost 3:1 there.

This is the thing I've been talking about regarding a fallback candidate for Newsom. Kevin Paffrath is nobody, but because he's the only (D) on the poll, you have people answering the poll going for him.

Now, that doesn't mean this plays out in reality necessarily, with self-selection bias at play here not representing all the people who are going to vote on election day, not to mention there will be a lower barrier of entry since ballots will be mailed out to every registered voter this year. However, it's also an election just to recall Newsom, which in theory will have less turnout from those who don't really care either way.

I dunno, some thoughts, not a pollster. However, that last part of the poll I talked about does seem to indicate that maybe Democrats should have ran a backup candidate while simultaneously campaigning No on Recall.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 5, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

No see it can’t happen here because of the fact that it can’t happen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hah! SoCal can’t burn down this year because there’s nothing left to burn down from last year. :smug:

:smith: