Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vichan posted:

Might be rose-tinted glasses but I remember this being a huge deal in the old Warriors games.

It depends on the game but it can be fairly significant. Morale plays a huge factor in some DW games and completing objectives to give your army huge boosts so they can overwhelm the enemy is a bit of neat design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The last non empires game where morale had any impact was maybe DW6. Might even be pushing it, DW5

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wish WAS had morale, your bases fell so goddamned fast when you weren't there

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1421629651705868289

They'll get you on your Wei :v:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I hadn't played a Warriors game since DW 8 XL / Samurai Warriors 2, so I don't know if this is new to the series, but uh, don't sleep on spending musuo bars while mounted. It is NOT just a slowdown immune sprint anymore and might be preferable on characters with janky musuo moves.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's a small thing, but I'm pleased to see that Kiryu returns to voice Hattori Hanzo

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

loving hell, who thought enemy projectile spam with hitstun was a good idea to bring back? I swear I got stunlocked for a good five seconds on Mt. Hiei.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 1, 2021

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
SW5's mission design definitely suffers for ignoring troops and bases almost entirely, every stage basically boils down to roaming around ganking the nearest officer until you empty the map because there's nothing to capture or defend

It's weird too because the new skill system and ability to deploy troops would integrate really well with more complex objectives

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It plays very well but I have had a few cases where I sent my partner out to an objective then switch to him once I am done with what I am doing only to see they are surrounded by soliders as if they were not doing anything. It is weird.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

5-Headed Snake God posted:

loving hell, who thought enemy projectile spam with hitstun was a good idea to bring back? I swear I got stunlocked for a good five seconds on Mt. Hiei.

you can hit X to i-frame out of hitstun for free at any time

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Unlucky7 posted:

It plays very well but I have had a few cases where I sent my partner out to an objective then switch to him once I am done with what I am doing only to see they are surrounded by soliders as if they were not doing anything. It is weird.

On the other hand, this is a godsend for completing citadel objectives since you can always have your partner ready to spam their ultimates/musou/troops and fulfill that 3rd objective right away because you know they'll be completely surrounded ready to kill everything the moment you switch

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

My transmission cannot be stopped!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

you can hit X to i-frame out of hitstun for free at any time

Oh yes, I did that. I almost immediately got hit again because of the unending barrage of bullets.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
against large groups of riflemen the best choice is to press the musou button if you're getting hitlocked; ultimate skills if you're actually close enough although those can't get you out of hitstun. Or play somebody who uses great spears as they get enough super armor to go through rifle bullets.

Picked up one of the rare weapons last night and they just seem bad, they're fixed slots and levels so they're probably just worse than a 8 slot silver filled with the good skills.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That's been a trend with more recent Musou games in general that allow customizable weapons, where the unique weapons aren't as good as whatever you cobbled together, other than maybe having higher base atk power.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
My only real gripe with SW5 so far is that it's very strange that Hideyoshi and Ieyasu don't get timeskip outfits. Well, and that I don't like Hideyoshi as he's typically characterized in these games.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

CaptainRat posted:

My only real gripe with SW5 so far is that it's very strange that Hideyoshi and Ieyasu don't get timeskip outfits. Well, and that I don't like Hideyoshi as he's typically characterized in these games.

I imagine they may want to save that sort of thing for a sequel focusing on either of them, assuming the game performs well enough.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

wielder posted:

I imagine they may want to save that sort of thing for a sequel focusing on either of them, assuming the game performs well enough.

Oh I get why they did it, it just plays very weird when you have near-Honnoji scenes where their retainers talk about how they could possibly unify the land and meanwhile they just look like the same young dipshits they have all game.

(Also I doubt we're getting a Hideyoshi game unless Omega Force gets extremely enthusiastic about Korean warcrimes.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CaptainRat posted:

(Also I doubt we're getting a Hideyoshi game unless Omega Force gets extremely enthusiastic about Korean warcrimes.)

I mean, there's Nioh 2..

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
They've done Toyotomi-focused campaigns before. If anything, 5 is the first Oda-focused game in a long while because the last few games generally focused during Hideyoshi and Tokugawa's reign, since Oda's faction would always die off near the beginning, and the Sanada's story usually revolves around the Toyotomi and Tokugawa campaigns. They've just always avoided the Korea campaigns for obvious reasons.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I was really hoping that Ieyasu would transition from his SW5 design right into his previous design sometime between stages, with no explanation, but alas.

My main complaint is some of the secondary stages not unlocking until further on in the story despite the events within them being openly discussed in the plot. Made things kinda confusing just to try and hide that Sandayu was a baddie, something that was already completely obvious. Meanwhile, I'm just going 'wait, Sena died? How come. Wait, when did we burn down Iga village??'

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Well-known Musou lover Jim Sterling does not like SW5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQswxwoHWE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I don't mind characters having similar move sets, is this game worth getting now? Or should I wait until it's dirt cheap?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I don't mind characters having similar move sets, is this game worth getting now? Or should I wait until it's dirt cheap?

Wait for the edition that comes with all the DLC at the very least.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The dlc won't be adding any new weaponsets/characters though, it'll just be extra stages, horses, and more weapon skins for the existing weapons.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still only on chapter 2 but it seems as good as any other musou game to me so far, I can't imagine any problems are coming my way at this point that wouldn't have already turned me off of the series by now

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think it's pretty decent, that said Koei Tecmo doesn't often have sales so you might be waiting awhile.

All the DLC is probably skippable, think it's a few bonus scenarios, rare weapons, and some cosmetic stuff.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 5, 2021

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
It feels like another really meh Warriors game in an era of meh Warriors games- everything post DW9/WO4 has just kinda been mushy gruel with some mediocre/bad stage design propped up by fun movesets, or actively bad messes without many redeeming qualities. Samurai Warriors 5 isn't bad- it's maybe the best 'gruel' game yet- but I'm not feeling it. It's probably fine if you need a new Warriors game right now, but it's also 'fine' in the same way Pirate Warriors 4 or Age of Calamity are 'fine'- if there's another, older Warriors game in your backlog still I'd just go play it instead.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
It scratched an itch I had pretty badly, having not played a Warriors since DW 8 XL, but once story mode was completed once it feels mostly done. Unique weapons both seem fairly bad considering how easy it is to craft super strong ones yourself, and having a pretty dull way to get them (I get that adding more "objectives" in an objective focused Warriors game would feel redundant, but full S ranking arbitrary stages with certain characters isn't particularly interesting), citadel mode is really, really repetitive after a short while. The stables building seems entirely pointless since you get special free horses that would require a shitton of effort to improve on for beating all musuo/citadel stages , and with a few notable exceptions the EX-moves often don't feel like they differentiate characters all that much.

Also why the hell do you not get relationship points between characters in musuo mode, it would still be a pretty big grind to get all scenes even if those stages counted towards it, not really excited to replay an easy stage 2-3 times per pairing over and over again.

I did like the story mode while it lasted and got a good laugh in the end-game where the Imagawa alternative story is Oda losing because Ieyasu couldn't help gush about how cool he is and made Yoshimoto play it out slightly cautiously

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Yeah I'm waiting on a price drop for this one. The demo was decent but not enough to make this a $60 purchase, and it doesn't sound like there's much to Citadel mode once the main story is done.

Persona Strikers was fun, but I couldn't imagine playing it if you hadn't beaten Persona 5.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Citadel mode is shockingly bad and tedious.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

One day they'll put Castle Town from 3 Empires back in a game, I mean other than a Nobunaga's Ambition spinoff that no one played but me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Persona Strikers was fun, but I couldn't imagine playing it if you hadn't beaten Persona 5.

I never even played P5 and Strikers owns and I did absolutely everything in it, I loved it.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

CaptainRat posted:

"I just want to make a world where everyone can smile and laugh!" *invades korea*

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Give me another Sengoku Basara game, those were tons of fun.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Uhhlive posted:

Give me another Sengoku Basara game, those were tons of fun.

gently caress yeah

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Well-known Musou lover Jim Sterling does not like SW5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQswxwoHWE

Sterling sounds tired of Warriors games in general, doesn't really talk too much about this particular one other than the moveset issue (and the current DLC doesn't make you pay for others, as far as I know, so that part is inaccurate).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

wielder posted:

Sterling sounds tired of Warriors games in general, doesn't really talk too much about this particular one other than the moveset issue (and the current DLC doesn't make you pay for others, as far as I know, so that part is inaccurate).

What? Sterling is bitching about something he haven't actually researched? Who could've imagined.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

What? Sterling is bitching about something he haven't actually researched? Who could've imagined.

Not to take away from your point but Sterling’s pronouns are They/Them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Been playing DW8XLCE on my ps5 after not touching the mainline series outside of HW since vanilla DW8 on ps3 and god drat does nothing quite scratch that "I want lots of Stuff to Unlock" itch like that game does.

Been thinking about playing SW at some point, but I'd like the closest experience to what DW8 offers in terms of scope and I heard SW5 is mostly early sengoku/nobunaga stuff. Would SW4 be more my jam?

I'm also a loser who cares about ~lore and continuity~ so I haven't played any of the orochi games since I think the first 3 directly follow eachother plotwise? I could have misread that though.