Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Has anyone here regretted spending for an OP-1?

If I was going to spend $1000+ on a portable synth it would be a custom euro-rack case. I would regret spending money on an OP-1 which could have been better used for this superior purpose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHAkRkjFfq8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

If I was gonna spend 1k on a synth/groovebox and wanted it to be portable I'd get a laptop, probably a M1 Air (for the drivers/compatibility, but if theres a windows thing you can get away running w/o an interface that would work too) and a cracked Ableton license

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
a microfreak costs $350, $300 used or on Black Friday/etc. Cross-shopping it with a synth that costs 4, 5x as much seems misguided

buying it as your “one synth” or whatever and expecting it to do the job of something like a Minilogue or an OP-1 is like buying a baritone guitar or a dobro or something in a weird tuning as your “one guitar”, like you can do it but 99% of the market it serves is gonna be adding it to a stable of other gear

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Rolo posted:

I keep looking at everything but I think I want an OP-1.

Has anyone here regretted spending for an OP-1?

This is how I was. I got an op-1 and I do not regret it. It’s really cool. If you don’t like it you can always sell it.

You may be able to get a deal if you become a MoMA member and order it from their online store, doubly so if you do it during a sale or promo. I got mine before they increased the price for something like 20 or 30% off, which more than covered the cost of the membership. I don’t remember the exact details, it’s been several years.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I was looking to pick up something to start with, as part of my mid-life crisis. I thought a modern take on an 80's synth would be better than a modern take on an 80's sports car. The Volca FM hit a lot of highlights for me. It can make a lot of the sounds of my childhood. It can load presets / patches from a very successful synth that's been around for a long time. It's compatible with a free patch editor / library software (Dexed). Compact, portable, and low cost. Takes batteries, and can use an external midi controller. Sure, there is plenty that it cannot do, but there is so, so, much it can do. The controls have been simplified, and made more user friendly, as compared to Yamaha's offerings from the 80's, but there is the ability to dig right in, and change all the parameters for every part of each envelope for every operator.
A NTS-1 plays very nicely with it for effects and bass line.
It's a lot of fun, but I'm certainly not doing any serious music making.
At this point, for me, they are complex toys, and something for me to learn about / with. They would likely work as competent instruments in the hands of an actual musician.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I was looking to pick up something to start with, as part of my mid-life crisis. I thought a modern take on an 80's synth would be better than a modern take on an 80's sports car. The Volca FM hit a lot of highlights for me. It can make a lot of the sounds of my childhood. It can load presets / patches from a very successful synth that's been around for a long time. It's compatible with a free patch editor / library software (Dexed). Compact, portable, and low cost. Takes batteries, and can use an external midi controller. Sure, there is plenty that it cannot do, but there is so, so, much it can do. The controls have been simplified, and made more user friendly, as compared to Yamaha's offerings from the 80's, but there is the ability to dig right in, and change all the parameters for every part of each envelope for every operator.
A NTS-1 plays very nicely with it for effects and bass line.
It's a lot of fun, but I'm certainly not doing any serious music making.
At this point, for me, they are complex toys, and something for me to learn about / with. They would likely work as competent instruments in the hands of an actual musician.

no synthesizer is gonna take the place of a miata my dude

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

no synthesizer is gonna take the place of a miata my dude

True, but a volca won't hurt more than ears and feelings if I fire it up hammered.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I thought the current mid life crisis item was a $4000 road bike?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

dexefiend posted:

Sweet. That will help my wife understand my Elektron gear in the proper context.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dexefiend posted:

I thought it was a 22 year-old with an age gap fetish/financial needs

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I turned 40 a few months ago and committed to finally getting into eurorack as my midlife crisis. I told my wife it’s cheaper than a sports car.

I went to a college with an ARP 2500, and was ready to dive into the Behringer clone modules, but then discovered the world of DIY kits. I built a Paia 9700 back in 2007 and decided I’d use that as a “good enough for now” oscillator and filter.

Case - Moog 104hp
Power - 4ms row power 35
Non-DIY modules:
Bad Comrade (my first module bought used off Reverb)
Doepfer A-132-3v dual vca (used off Reverb)
Doepfer A-119 External Input/Envelope Follower (new)

DIY Modules:
Befaco Output v3
Befaco ADSR
Zlob Modular Triple Cap Chaos

I’ve also used Reaktor going back to version 3 and tried using blocks as control voltage generators. It works, but it’s pretty meh.

I think my next module is going to be Maths, but going forward I’m probably going to buy mostly Befaco and Zlob kits.

Speaking of Zlob, they just released this the other day:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GrG0ex-0OnU

:stare:

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Awesome! A module is certainly cheaper than a sports car. :sweatdrop:

If you’re interested in a Maths and DIY have you considered a Befaco Rampage? It doesn’t have the two extra attenuverted channels but it can do some other tricks

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

j.peeba posted:

If you’re interested in a Maths and DIY have you considered a Befaco Rampage? It doesn’t have the two extra attenuverted channels but it can do some other tricks

Yeah, I looked at the Rampage and read some comparisons, and I’d rather get Maths. I actually really like what I see of the Make Noise stuff, so maybe in a few years I’ll start picking up more of their stuff.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

j.peeba posted:

IDK about that, I only paid $3500 for my E36 a decade ago

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, I looked at the Rampage and read some comparisons, and I’d rather get Maths. I actually really like what I see of the Make Noise stuff, so maybe in a few years I’ll start picking up more of their stuff.

I’ve got a 0 coast and a Strega and they’re literally my current favorite pieces of gear.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

IDK about that, I only paid $3500 for my E36 a decade ago

Ugh jealous. I’ve been trying to find a 36 m3 or 46 wagon and the prices are through the roof.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I envy people who can build electronic things and make them work. The Turing Machine kit I glued together a few months ago didn’t quite work out. RIP.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Eccles posted:

I envy people who can build electronic things and make them work. The Turing Machine kit I glued together a few months ago didn’t quite work out. RIP.

You’re supposed to use solder, not glue.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

You’re supposed to use solder, not glue.

Owned

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well I finally bought a synth after toying around in the store. I got the Minilogue. I’ve been watching some tutorials and I just had my first “holy poo poo I gotta save this sound” moment. I’m stumbling into some super fun 80’s horror tones.

I’ve gotten the tempo sync to work when outputting to my PO-12 but I can’t get the mini’s audio to pass through it. All I get is the PO audio at the mini’s tempo. Im starting to assume the output sync 1/8 on the mini simply doesn’t include the audio, so tomorrow I’m gonna try a breakout adapter to include the standard audio output port with the sync-out. Who knows if that’ll be it but I know people have gotten it to work somehow

My goal is to do 2 things. Have the mini sync with my PO-12 audio so I can use its sequencer to throw easy drum beats behind what I play on the synth. I also want to get stereo output working properly to these so I can send some of these cool new tones to my PO-33. The idea of sampling this big guy to the KO and throwing it in my bag to sequence later makes me excited.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sounds to me like you probably want a mixer at this point. Even if you can get audio into the PO-12, the quality of the PO's audio pass-through is not great. You'd be better off just sending the sync to the PO-12 / PO-33 and mixing the audio from all three devices using a device designed for that (a mixer).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anything simple and cheap you’d recommend? I didn’t consider quality loss doing it my way.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Not from experience, but I saw the advice (I think in the recording thread?) to avoid the Behringers and go with the Mackies or Yamahas. There's an eight channel Mackie for under $100 which might be a good option.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Not from experience, but I saw the advice (I think in the recording thread?) to avoid the Behringers and go with the Mackies or Yamahas. There's an eight channel Mackie for under $100 which might be a good option.

Yamaha, Mackie, Soundcraft, Tascam are all good

Behringer, not so much

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I'd advise thinking about it now whether or not you want USB for your mixer to double as a recording interface. The primary benefit will be that USB will allow you to record multiple channels separately and all at once into a DAW, but that means also checking to see how many channels each mixer can transport, because it will vary brand to brand, device to device. It will be more expensive than a mixer without USB, but if you're headed in the recording direction anyway it couldn't hurt to think about.

edit: oh, and if you want to go in the opposite direction and get something completely bare bones, search online for a "pocket mixer." There are a bunch of options between $25-35. They will not be of great quality or versatility, but they will let you get multiple instruments into one pair of headphones or speakers with he ability to control the volume on each instrument if that is absolutely all you need.

kidfresca fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 2, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

does anyone have a rec for a good mixer with aux sends and no usb. i already have an interface and i don’t care about multitracking i just want to keep everything plugged in and ready to record and sample. i really loving want a matrix mixer but they’re all usually way too expensive

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kidfresca posted:

I'd advise thinking about it now whether or not you want USB for your mixer to double as a recording interface. The primary benefit will be that USB will allow you to record multiple channels separately and all at once into a DAW, but that means also checking to see how many channels each mixer can transport, because it will vary brand to brand, device to device. It will be more expensive than a mixer without USB, but if you're headed in the recording direction anyway it couldn't hurt to think about.

edit: oh, and if you want to go in the opposite direction and get something completely bare bones, search online for a "pocket mixer." There are a bunch of options between $25-35. They will not be of great quality or versatility, but they will let you get multiple instruments into one pair of headphones or speakers with he ability to control the volume on each instrument if that is absolutely all you need.

worth noting that many mixers have a stereo/master in-out for USB and way fewer have multichannel (for example the Soundcraft Signature line has the "regular" ones with stereo USB and the MTK models, of which I have one. That line is getting a bit long in the tooth, so maybe check out Mackie's/Tascam's more recent offerings first). There's this whole argument about the relative audio quality of these interfaces (some people will insist that some lines have a problem where the cheaper stereo sound card is higher bandwidth/etc per channel than the more expensive--but not more expensive enough-- multichannel card) but you're not ever gonna discern 96 khz recording vs 44 or 48

watho posted:

does anyone have a rec for a good mixer with aux sends and no usb. i already have an interface and i don’t care about multitracking i just want to keep everything plugged in and ready to record and sample. i really loving want a matrix mixer but they’re all usually way too expensive

Yamaha makes some good ones, IIRC, as does Mackie. I'd say that 90% of the <$1000 mixers you're gonna find these days have at least a stereo soundcard.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I played at a small impro gig with a two friends in Berlin for A MAZE game festival’s stream a few days ago and took the opportunity to visit Schneidersladen showroom and store. It’s no surprise but it’s a pretty awesome place. I’ll have to return there with a bit more time some day so that I can dive in into the random weird stuff there instead of just trying a few modules. These two photos cover mayybe quarter of the stuff that’s there:

I took my small groovebox case there and then after playing a while I pickep up a Doepfer mini synth voice and FX Aid from their store/warehouse down the street from the showroom.

Here’s some of the first results after rearranging the groovebox case to fit the new modules in:

https://youtu.be/B30V1Nc6Yf8

Some more practice wouldn’t hurt but I’m really digging this case. Surprisingly lot of juicy stuff can already be discovered there. Transitions are tricky as always but having a second synth voice there already helps a lot. The TB 3PO sequencer of the Logarhythm branch of HemisphereSuite firmware of uo_c pairs real well with the Doepfer mini synth for acidy grooves.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

watho posted:

I keep buying old 1604vlz's. 6 sends and 4 stereo returns. They fail often and repairing them sucks but they're still cheap to just buy replacements.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Clavavisage posted:

I keep buying old 1604vlz's. 6 sends and 4 stereo returns. They fail often and repairing them sucks but they're still cheap to just buy replacements.

LOL I just sold a 1604 to a goon and he's gone silent. I hope it didn't kill him.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Anyone else tried TRIAD by Unfiltered Audio? At it's heart it's a three frequency band splitter that lets you mix the levels on each band and interact with the band-splitter using all modulation sources, then process the resulting three frequency bands independently with effects lanes using their BYOME multi-effects system, with numerous routing options and good, useful effects. You can control parameters via LFOs, envelopes / followers, and macros. It's superbly awesome IMO. Reminds me of NI or Serum style workflow in terms of assigning this to control that, but with great depth and a thoughtful interface.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 2, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

kidfresca posted:

Lol yep this is what I've done to connect three pocket operators (and probably soon an NTS-1). I wanted something low power that I could take camping.

Clavavisage posted:

Lol also depends on how much desk space OP has.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Yea the little Rolls 4ch line mixer, or its behringer clone, is great. Even if your needs grow it’s the kind of thing you’ll be glad to have around for a sidecar or just to throw in a gig bag In Case poo poo.
Rolls is like a hundo, uli’s is I think better than half that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like my baby sound craft. The MG line is fine too. they both only offer stereo feeds over usb though. what you really are gonna want is faders

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I got a Maker Hart Just Mixer 5 specifically for mixing pocket operators. I think it's perfect for that application.

I did okay at the flea market last weekend, made enough to purchase my next toy, a piezo trumpet pickup, so I can use it with my Boss SY-300 in addition to guitar. I think it's what Miles would have wanted me to do.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just lol at mixers. get an audio interface with a bunch of inputs. grow massive cabley roots. drive steel rods into the ground to literally ground you and your equipment

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

just lol at mixers. get an audio interface with a bunch of inputs. grow massive cabley roots. drive steel rods into the ground to literally ground you and your equipment

:same:

Mixers are great to fiddle with when the film crew comes in to do a documentary about your creative process. But for actually doing stuff an octopus worth of inputs is where the fun is at.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

petit choux posted:

LOL I just sold a 1604 to a goon and he's gone silent. I hope it didn't kill him.

Still alive! Work is hell. But the Mackie did quite the opposite: It saved me from a Behringer that would shock me at least once every time I sat down with it. So, uh, definitely echoing the whole "avoid Behringer mixers" advice. Here's a family photo.

Prooobably need a desk for all this. Especially if I'm going to keep making stuff like that Atari Punk mannequin head.

I can also vouch for the 1604 being a lot of mixer for not a lot of cash, and having aux sends is a really nice option for dedicated effects. I have the bitcrush of my Dystopia routed through an aux send and it's so satisfying (and easy) to be able to just toss it on a channel for a sec. But for something like a Rings where you're going to be changing how you play it frequently, it doesn't make as much sense.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Still alive! Work is hell. But the Mackie did quite the opposite: It saved me from a Behringer that would shock me at least once every time I sat down with it. So, uh, definitely echoing the whole "avoid Behringer mixers" advice. Here's a family photo.

Prooobably need a desk for all this. Especially if I'm going to keep making stuff like that Atari Punk mannequin head.

I can also vouch for the 1604 being a lot of mixer for not a lot of cash, and having aux sends is a really nice option for dedicated effects. I have the bitcrush of my Dystopia routed through an aux send and it's so satisfying (and easy) to be able to just toss it on a channel for a sec. But for something like a Rings where you're going to be changing how you play it frequently, it doesn't make as much sense.

Hee haw! Glad to see it's working out for you! It's looking pretty nice as part of your setup, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does your brain get better at remembering melodies with practice?

I’ll think of a cool drum sequence and by the time I find the first sound it’s gone. Maybe I just need to get faster at putting stuff down so I can tweak it later.