Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

I guess I had been so busy with work I missed this, but Golf R estate would be amazing I wish we could have nice things over here

Over/under on selling...200 in the US/year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Over/under on selling...200 in the US/year?

The GSW sold pretty well until it got hosed by VW itself and their pricing on like the tiguan and poo poo making it really dumb to ask people to pay twice as much in some cases for similar capability besides the wagon vs CUV thing.

I would also probably say under at a guestimated $60k price point, still so much cheaper than an RS6 or E63 though. I definitely would get some things together to make that work rather than buy a 10 year old BMW wagon and put $25k or so into it. That is assuming it would have the stick offering though that the hatch R still gets over here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The regular Golf R sells anywhere from 2-5,000 units a year in the US, it's actually a fairly strong seller for a niche performance hatch. I bet they could manage about a thousand units assuming no more than a 10% price premium over the equivalent hatch. Probably half of that would be cannibalization from the hatch. I'll absolutely buy one but it really ain't gonna happen.

TheBacon posted:

The GSW sold pretty well

the GSW was pretty badly undercut but it was never a good seller. 26,000 units in its best year is "kill this program" territory and it was pretty well dominated by Alltrack sales (the mix was like 50-65% alltracks in any given year). You can argue some of that was product planning regarding the availability of a manual transmission but I don't really buy it. The last year of the JSW only did about 20k units. I like the cars but they just do not sell in the US market because US new car buyers don't care about the things that differentiate it from a CUV.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The regular Golf R sells anywhere from 2-5,000 units a year in the US, it's actually a fairly strong seller for a niche performance hatch. I bet they could manage about a thousand units assuming no more than a 10% price premium over the equivalent hatch. Probably half of that would be cannibalization from the hatch. I'll absolutely buy one but it really ain't gonna happen.

the GSW was pretty badly undercut but it was never a good seller. 26,000 units in its best year is "kill this program" territory and it was pretty well dominated by Alltrack sales (the mix was like 50-65% alltracks in any given year). You can argue some of that was product planning regarding the availability of a manual transmission but I don't really buy it. The last year of the JSW only did about 20k units. I like the cars but they just do not sell in the US market because US new car buyers don't care about the things that differentiate it from a CUV.

Well when you compare to Tiguan and poo poo that was a lot of the same besides form factor, lease deals and poo poo were like literally half for a tiguan compared to GSW and the tiguan got the better engine options like you mentioned. They really hosed themselves more than anything else. I just meant like all things considered it sold well, like for a wagon.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I imagine there's some big regional variation. GSWs and Alltracks seem pretty popular in the PNW, tons and tons of them around. VW wagons have always been popular here, especially the old diesels.

In middle America yeah probably not so popular.

Granted a few niche markets don't necessarily justify continuing a model, but it's still a shame.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I love my Alltrack but if there were an R model available I would be extremely tempted by that.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Picked up a 2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport, and saw they have a fancier instrument panel (all digital) and a swipey button steering wheel to go with it. Does anyone know if that’s a swapout set of parts, or is that a stupid question?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Guinness posted:

I imagine there's some big regional variation. GSWs and Alltracks seem pretty popular in the PNW, tons and tons of them around. VW wagons have always been popular here, especially the old diesels.

In middle America yeah probably not so popular.

Granted a few niche markets don't necessarily justify continuing a model, but it's still a shame.

Yeah, the GSW/Alltrack was super popular in the Philly suburbs. They don't seem nearly as prevalent here in Denver as Subarus/4Runners.

Although 4Runners are loving everywhere.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hellotoothpaste posted:

Picked up a 2021 VW Atlas Cross Sport, and saw they have a fancier instrument panel (all digital) and a swipey button steering wheel to go with it. Does anyone know if that’s a swapout set of parts, or is that a stupid question?

why didn’t you just get a used Cayenne?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

Do they make 2021 Used Cayennes? :v:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Do they make 2021 Used Cayennes? :v:

No, they make 2020s, and 2019s, and 2018s, 2017s, 2016s, etc.

I’m just saying, if you’re gonna spend $35k+ on a complicated VAG SUV with high maintenance costs and meh fuel economy you may as well get the fun one/the one that can actually go off-road/the Tuareg’s surviving sibling

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

My heel has worn a hole in the the mat of my 2004 R32. Is there any good source for replacements or is it mostly watching eBay and crossing my fingers?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

No, they make 2020s, and 2019s, and 2018s, 2017s, 2016s, etc.

I’m just saying, if you’re gonna spend $35k+ on a complicated VAG SUV with high maintenance costs and meh fuel economy you may as well get the fun one/the one that can actually go off-road/the Tuareg’s surviving sibling

Eh, ignoring the fact that a new car comes with things that a used Cayenne does not (newer technology, a real warranty, better safety features, likely better equipment), I can totally understand someone not wanting to pay the maintenance costs associated with a Porsche, especially for a family hauler.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Eh, ignoring the fact that a new car comes with things that a used Cayenne does not (newer technology, a real warranty, better safety features, likely better equipment), I can totally understand someone not wanting to pay the maintenance costs associated with a Porsche, especially for a family hauler.

are the VW’s maintenance costs really gonna be that much lower tho? Also CPO cars come with a warranty, and the tech trade off for something 2-4 years older (but also a “level up” in terms of luxury features) (probably) isn’t gonna be that bad.

It’s not like I’m saying “buy a decade old Cayenne for <$20k and turn it into an offroader/overlander” (somebody ITT please do this, let me live vicariously through your excellent decision-making)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

are the VW’s maintenance costs really gonna be that much lower tho? Also CPO cars come with a warranty, and the tech trade off for something 2-4 years older (but also a “level up” in terms of luxury features) (probably) isn’t gonna be that bad.

It’s not like I’m saying “buy a decade old Cayenne for <$20k and turn it into an offroader/overlander” (somebody ITT please do this, let me live vicariously through your excellent decision-making)

Probably, doubly so if you're doing the maintenance under warranty at a dealer. Even independents, at least the "good" independents that you want to take your Porsche to, can be pricey. One of them around me is quoting labor at $200/hour, which is actually more expensive than some dealers. Tech is also kind of funny. Porsche has been pretty behind the times previously, and was one of the later car manufacturers to add Bluetooth and Carplay to their cars. The newest generation infotainment is pretty nice, but a lot of cars built in the later 2010s have pretty small/limited screens. Luxury features get nickel and dimed on everything at Porsche as well, so something like adaptive cruise control, standard on a lovely rental car, is a multi-thousand dollar option on a Macan/Cayenne.

What I'm saying is that I've been fantasizing about buying a 4Runner/Land Cruiser.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve been driving used cars until now, and I have always wanted a VW SUV but didn’t enjoy the Touareg or Tiguan at all. And I’m a futuredork so all the futurey things inside like ACC are a) fun for me, and b) equally horrifying at economies of scale.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Probably, doubly so if you're doing the maintenance under warranty at a dealer. Even independents, at least the "good" independents that you want to take your Porsche to, can be pricey. One of them around me is quoting labor at $200/hour, which is actually more expensive than some dealers. Tech is also kind of funny. Porsche has been pretty behind the times previously, and was one of the later car manufacturers to add Bluetooth and Carplay to their cars. The newest generation infotainment is pretty nice, but a lot of cars built in the later 2010s have pretty small/limited screens. Luxury features get nickel and dimed on everything at Porsche as well, so something like adaptive cruise control, standard on a lovely rental car, is a multi-thousand dollar option on a Macan/Cayenne.

What I'm saying is that I've been fantasizing about buying a 4Runner/Land Cruiser.

the FiST I just bought doesn’t have a backup camera, and I’m probably not gonna pay the $1500 it would cost to replace the SYNC 2 module with SYNC 3 and gain CarPlay compatibility

but it goes bweeeeeee like a motherfucker

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

the FiST I just bought doesn’t have a backup camera, and I’m probably not gonna pay the $1500 it would cost to replace the SYNC 2 module with SYNC 3 and gain CarPlay compatibility

but it goes bweeeeeee like a motherfucker

You should be able to upgrade for a lot less than $1500 if you find a couple used parts - https://www.reddit.com/r/FiestaST/comments/a13nqt/sync_2_to_sync_3_upgrade_google_sheets_compilation/

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

DrChu posted:

You should be able to upgrade for a lot less than $1500 if you find a couple used parts - https://www.reddit.com/r/FiestaST/comments/a13nqt/sync_2_to_sync_3_upgrade_google_sheets_compilation/

Wow, I’m fully expecting to spend 10x that if I ever wanted the glass cockpit for the atlas provided it’s possible at all.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

hellotoothpaste posted:

Wow, I’m fully expecting to spend 10x that if I ever wanted the glass cockpit for the atlas provided it’s possible at all.

I think you will be able to for a lot cheaper than you expect, the hardest part will be the programming and you'll need either a VCDS cable (and someone to have figured out what settings to change) or have the dealer do it. The cluster itself is less than $1400 new at most (https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...3G0920420B.html), a lot of dealerships have it for around $1000, plus whatever surrounding trim needs to be changed.

Based on what I've read about doing the retrofit on Golfs, the most important thing is coding in the mileage, since that has to be done first before anything else, because once that's in it can't be changed later.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

TheBacon posted:

Well when you compare to Tiguan and poo poo that was a lot of the same besides form factor, lease deals and poo poo were like literally half for a tiguan compared to GSW and the tiguan got the better engine options like you mentioned. They really hosed themselves more than anything else. I just meant like all things considered it sold well, like for a wagon.

if you're not doing 50k units on a mass market program it's really nonviable

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

DrChu posted:

I think you will be able to for a lot cheaper than you expect, the hardest part will be the programming and you'll need either a VCDS cable (and someone to have figured out what settings to change) or have the dealer do it. The cluster itself is less than $1400 new at most (https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2...3G0920420B.html), a lot of dealerships have it for around $1000, plus whatever surrounding trim needs to be changed.

Based on what I've read about doing the retrofit on Golfs, the most important thing is coding in the mileage, since that has to be done first before anything else, because once that's in it can't be changed later.

Nice, thanks for the info/parts link

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're not doing 50k units on a mass market program it's really nonviable

Sure but there absolutely are some number (admittedly/presumably still small) that would choose the GSW over Tiguan if it didn't cost them literally twice as much per month. Can't really say how much closer it would make it, my point was it never had a chance to be the same level of volume

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
How to grenade a VW with nitrous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKsdk9IbKE8

Jetta gets em wetta :unsmigghh:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

GabbiLB posted:

The Neuspeeds are nice because they are made for VWs and you don't have to worry about offset or hub rings or anything. The specific ones I have are the RSe11Rs, looks like the price went up a bit since I got them though, not much of a surprise I guess. They are almost 6lbs lighter than the stock wheels.

https://neuspeedrswheels.com/collections/vw-audi

Notice any driving difference going to the lighter wheels? I'm eyeballing some Rotiform RSEs for Christmas or something cause I think they look pretty groovin white on white, but believe they're the same weight as stock and spending that much money it'd be nice to get some performance out of a wheel swap too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

if you wanna get to the bush, buy a Jeep

if you wanna get into the bush, buy a Land Rover

if you wanna get back out of the bush, buy a Cruiser

if you're a loving weirdo like me, develop a low-key obsession with turning an old-rear end Porsche Wegmans Wagon or imported South American diesel G-Wagen into a camper/"winter car"

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

teh_Broseph posted:

Notice any driving difference going to the lighter wheels? I'm eyeballing some Rotiform RSEs for Christmas or something cause I think they look pretty groovin white on white, but believe they're the same weight as stock and spending that much money it'd be nice to get some performance out of a wheel swap too.

The only real noticable difference to me is in braking. There's not enough steering feel for me to notice much there beyond having grip from the summer tires.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you're a loving weirdo like me, develop a low-key obsession with turning an old-rear end Porsche Wegmans Wagon or imported South American diesel G-Wagen into a camper/"winter car"

What if you wanna get some bush?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uthor posted:

What if you wanna get some bush?

then you probably shouldn't be on SomethingAwful posting about car poo poo

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ok Comboomer posted:

What if your wife just thinks she wants to get to/out of the bush? Winter tires?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

What if your wife just thinks she wants to get to/out of the bush? Winter tires?

a razor? just let it grow in for a week or three (that way she gets to the bush) then shave it?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

The thermostat I think is a bimetal valve that is engineered to open at certain temperatures, thus including the radiator in the coolant circuit and therefore lowering the coolant temperature. When it's closed (before 90C is reached or whatnot) the water pump acts on the coolant to circulate it within the engine only. Without coolant flowing through the engine at all, you'd have big problems really quick because certain areas of the engine are much hotter than others and would expand/contract significantly differently. Also, the hotter areas would not be cooled enough.

Your issue could be a thermostat failure in a closed/semiclosed state, or some other issue blocking coolant delivery to the radiator or return to the engine. Next time this happens, pull over and put your hand on the radiator in different spots (on the front of the rad) and see if it's warm or cool. An overheating engine with a cool radiator is not having coolant circulate through that component.

I'd just replace that thermostat and see if that fixes it.

e: I looked this up, surprised to find that ?most thermostats do use wax chambers in some way.

Thanks -- today the radiator felt cool after driving a few miles, so that might be it. The coolant tank was also seemingly empty today in the morning, with no puddle... so, I'm hoping now that I'm not losing it to a low steam leak or something like that. I need to spend the weekend raising the car, inspecting stuff and cleaning everything before adding the tracer dye to see where it might be going...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

movax posted:

Thanks -- today the radiator felt cool after driving a few miles, so that might be it. The coolant tank was also seemingly empty today in the morning, with no puddle... so, I'm hoping now that I'm not losing it to a low steam leak or something like that. I need to spend the weekend raising the car, inspecting stuff and cleaning everything before adding the tracer dye to see where it might be going...

Car running okay? Exhaust smell sweet? Hope this isn't a head gasket.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Car running okay? Exhaust smell sweet? Hope this isn't a head gasket.

The thought has crossed my mind... but, think I'm lucky so far. Exhaust doesn't smell weird, I still have the power I expect from the engine, hoping its just the thermostat. Going to plug in my VAG-COM tomorrow and see if any CELs are latched, but the DIY for the thermostat doesn't look too bad.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Got 7 days of Silvercar rental through a promotion when I bought my car. Was just thinking that would come in handy on a trip and go look it up and it’s like in 10 markets. So, uh that’s nice.

There is a participating dealer about 2 hours from where I will be but that’s not really what I would call convenient.

I thought it was just borrowing a dealer loner for a while but I guess it’s more formal than that.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Maintenance question if I could bug y'all please - mk7.5 GTI is dinging me about service in 20 days, but I'm only at 6,000 miles. Guessing I should just ignore it until I'm closer to the 10,000 mark, or should I take it in? Got oil changes on a regular basis on my last car regardless of mileage but that was an '02 I wanted to be extra safe with. Maybe need to check with the dealer too cause the car came with the VW 30k mile included maintenance that I don't have the detailed terms of, but also don't want them pushing unneeded service.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It gives that warning after one year, so your car was manufactured one year ago in 20 days. I would just take it in, the oil will be a year old.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Cool will do - thanks!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, that'd be my vote too. The manual does say every 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. The "free" maintenance visits should cover all that is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
You can change the oil yourself if that’s your thing and reset the service indicator. I did that on my wife’s 2020 TSi when it popped up at 6000 miles.