Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

shrike82 posted:

i can't tell if this is enlightened or some weird japanese right-wing thing

There's Japanese nationality and then there's Japanese ethnicity. The latter is what's being referred to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

vegetables posted:

I’m sure someone else said this already in a spoiler tag but I love that at the start of 1-4 it turns out that no, he’s not called the Reaper of the Bailey because he keeps winning cases, he’s called that because everyone he tries to prosecute literally dies

I found that surprisingly refreshing (and humorous).
Start of 1-4:
"What are you, crazy? Of course, he doesn't win every time! Sometimes the facts aren't there, you know.

No, we call him the Reaper because he's a witch!"

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Does the Japanese text use English or Japanese characters for the racist remarks by made British ppl in the game?

I know that the localisation/translation will sometimes have people speaking cyrillic in the text box which is why im asking

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Dongicus posted:

Does the Japanese text use English or Japanese characters for the racist remarks by made British ppl in the game?

I know that the localisation/translation will sometimes have people speaking cyrillic in the text box which is why im asking

Japanese. As I said before they don't so much drop slurs as just use very vicious and unkind words and constantly draw attention to the fact that the person they're addressing is Japanese (literally just 日本人) and implying that this is the cause of their moral shortcomings.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
So hey, it turns out that Capcom has made two separate versions of this game: One with English text only, and one with switchable English and Japanese text. If you happen to live in a country that got the latter version on Steam (see here) and own the game, please contact me, because my mod currently does not work with that version and I'd like to add support to it. Thanks!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh my god the 1-5 jury

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my god the 1-5 jury

I got to 2-2 and I think the message of the game is that juries are incredibly stupid

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
2-5: I've had at least an inkling of where everything else is going (at least so far), but I gotta admit that Mikotoba being the real Dr. Watson completely and utterly blindsided me, despite there being several hints throughout this and the previous game. That's a good job!

Not sure how I feel about the actual court proceedings at this point. Ryunosuke spent the entire second half of the 2-4 trial assuming Gregson was the man who'd met the redhead duo and then everyone took Daley Vigil at his word when he said Gregson had given him his card, when the obvious solution was that Vigil had killed Gregson and stolen his card to pose as him. It's weird that no one ever floated this idea. Plus day one of the subsequent trial, where Jigoku not showing up would have meant an immediate guilty verdict when there is super obviously a ton of holes in the prosecution's argument. Which is not unusual for the series, but it feels like a particularly grating example in an otherwise tight game.

E: And why the gently caress does Naruhodo not visit van Zieks in prison and tell him the story of Asa Shin without Iris in tow?? That's a pretty important point that he's just skipped two days in a row now!

E2: van Zieks raising the extremely valid point that it makes no sense for Kazuma to remain as the prosecutor. He may be the sanest man in the whole Ace Attorney series.

E3: The very first thing Naruhodo does is accuse the prosecution of murder. This trial is going places.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 2, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I got to 2-2 and I think the message of the game is that juries are incredibly stupid

I mean, they’re not wrong

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dogen posted:

I mean, they’re not wrong

2-2 Van Zieks getting more and more mad about the defense's obsession with gas service and the jury interview where like every comment is just bitching about the gas company is the funniest moment so far

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GAA 2-4 I KNEW IT! I loving knew Gregson was for it. Got a little concerned how chummy he ended up being in the last case but this is the best path for his character. Time to find out what secret shady stuff he was up to. Can't believe tho we're already gonna be defending the prosecutor and this is only the penultimate case! Where is this all going!??

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

George JoestarNatsume Soseki has to be my favorite character across both games so far

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Case 1-5 I thought I was going to die playing this case in a single sitting, it just would not end, objection after objection, testimony after testimony and about half a dozen times the case was about to end before something ELSE came up.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just starting on the 2nd game. 2-1: It's really cute how many of Ryunoske's mannerisms Susato adopts while in disguise

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

1-3: ”Y-Yes, My Laaarghd? :newlol:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The places where you find Sholmes doing random stuff get progressively weirder and I love that

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

haven't finished hte game yet but i think susato is very good and might be one of my favourite assistants

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dongicus posted:

haven't finished hte game yet but i think susato is very good and might be one of my favourite assistants

She's great, I think it's very cool to have an assistant with no extra power except being extremely competent and knowledgeable about the law.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The ha ha funny man threatening suicide bit from 1-5 is still really weird!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Having an animation where he points a loaded gun to his head is a bit much yes!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GAA 2-4 Oh what the gently caress you can't end the case on a twist like that!? And this IS the final mystery?? Surely there has to be another development to drag out 2-5 and I can't see the final case not having a jury surely??? AHHH

This game's wild folks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-1 Auchi's haiku at the end is broken! The last line is six syllables goddammit! :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GAA 2-5 Holmes and Watson doing a dance of deduction together, I'm dying I'm dead rip me

this game is AMAZING

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's me getting older but GAA seems very light on "gameplay" - i find myself thumbing through the interactive parts as fast as possible.
i played most of the AA games a decade ago so i wonder if i'd feel the same way revisiting them

i might just do story mode for GAA2

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's an achievement for exhausting every stepladder conversation and one for every shovel conversation but I'm on 1-5 and have only found one shovel and zero ladder arguments.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

2-3 Did the judge AND prosecution just admit that I had proven my client's innocence beyond all doubt and he would end the trial there without me needing to prove who the killer was?
I mean, I knew it would continue, but still!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

shrike82 posted:

it's me getting older but GAA seems very light on "gameplay" - i find myself thumbing through the interactive parts as fast as possible.
i played most of the AA games a decade ago so i wonder if i'd feel the same way revisiting them

i might just do story mode for GAA2

Not really sure what you mean. It's all the same Ace Attorney gameplay, with a few extra gimmicks like Dance of Deduction and Summation Examination to keep things fresh.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Argue posted:

There's an achievement for exhausting every stepladder conversation and one for every shovel conversation but I'm on 1-5 and have only found one shovel and zero ladder arguments.

If you click on that achievement in the Accolades section of the Special Contents option it tells you exactly when they occur.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Argue posted:

I'm pretty sure I've missed a spade argument somewhere, but as stepladders go (mild part 1 spoiler) there are none in cases 1-1 through 1-5.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Arist posted:

2-1 Auchi's haiku at the end is broken! The last line is six syllables goddammit! :argh:

well, his will is broken at the end so it fits :v:

2-3 I was thinking that this odd masked guy was Kazuma, but then Susato goes out and says it out loud. I wonder if it'll be subverted later on

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2-3

Gina is the best, and that dog is way, way way too cute

i lost it at her calling Van Zieks something like "that reaper wot drinks all that red plonk" or some poo poo

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 3, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regy Rusty posted:

Not really sure what you mean. It's all the same Ace Attorney gameplay, with a few extra gimmicks like Dance of Deduction and Summation Examination to keep things fresh.

I felt the same but for me at least it's rose tinted glasses rather than a change in how the games are actually structure. Back in the day playing AA1-3 it always felt like I had a lot of input and had to constantly solve puzzles/contradictions and make arguments. Playing the remasters a few years back made me realise that nope, it's a visual novel with a (usually very simple) puzzle every 10 minutes or so.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Game complete! What a ride. The cast were fantastic and the dances of deduction were probably the highlight. I also really enjoyed the summation examinations; I think the theme that plays during them is my absolute favorite courtroom theme.

Some scattered thoughts: [2-5, everything]

The vibe during the ending was kind of weird. Everyone was acting like the law was fixed forever, even though the faceless judiciary were totally cool sweeping everything under the rug and the only reason it didn't happen was that Sholmes had sneakily invited the boss' boss to attend via Zoom. The subsequent trial being public and by jury was a nice touch, but there was clearly still work to be done.

I think my favorite aspect was how someone would always tear into a witness for aiding and abetting a murder and trying to frame an innocent person, because the series often forgets how hosed up doing that actually is. Ryunosuke was the main vehicle for this and it made him a very likable protagonist, but most all of the heroes got a turn. It's really a shame Susato only had the bench to herself for one day, because she may well be the best attorney in the series. 10/10 character.

Barok van Zieks' biggest fault, if anything, was just how unimpeachable his integrity was. It was obvious from the moment the grand conspiracy was mentioned that he had no part of it and was, if anything, a victim thereof. I'd idly mused how he would react to being told that Genshin was innocent and Klint was the actual Moriarty, and as it turns out, he'd already had the thought, dismissed it because it did not jive with the facts, and accepted it once the actual facts were established. I think the weirdest part of the story unveiling was Naruhodo's constant "I can't tell what this guy is thinking" despite Barok repeatedly telling him straight to his face exactly what he's thinking and why he acts the way he does. Dude wears his heart on his sleeve, 'Oddo.

I'm not sure what we were supposed to think of Mael Stronghart. Once you get a read on van Zieks he's the only person who could be at the heart of the conspiracy, and the dude certainly never acts like he isn't. Maybe it's not supposed to be a twist from the player's perspective, it sure doesn't have to be, but the closest I came to not suspecting him was thinking he was so obvious he was meant as a red herring. The only part that threw me for a loop was Gregson's involvement, I fully admit I did not expect him to be the most complex character in the story. Still feel a bit weird about him getting off 1-5 so easily, but if Gina forgives him I have a hard time holding it against him.

Sholmes was just a gem all the way through and he absolutely puts Layton to shame as a tie-in character. Mikotoba being the real Watson was the other twist that took me by total surprise and I loved it. Kazuma I think ended up in the weirdest spot. I respect his whole arc, but I never really bought him as a prosecutor and still kind of think van Zieks was right that he absolutely should not be manning the bench for the final case. Like thematically he's a clear Edgeworth to Ryunosuke's Wright, and he's also a symbol for Stronghart's machinations turning against him because he overcame his hatred for van Zieks in pursuit of the truth.

[2-5]

In short, game good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

stev posted:

I felt the same but for me at least it's rose tinted glasses rather than a change in how the games are actually structure. Back in the day playing AA1-3 it always felt like I had a lot of input and had to constantly solve puzzles/contradictions and make arguments. Playing the remasters a few years back made me realise that nope, it's a visual novel with a (usually very simple) puzzle every 10 minutes or so.
I mean it generally should be simple if you know the answer. The gameplay just serves to make you more engaged in the mystery.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Case 1-4, before trial:
I really can't get a read on Stronghart.
Castlevania spinoff playing as von Dracula when?
Natsume is kinda there? His alliterative outbursts are neat though.
Iris is the best and anyone saying otherwise is a liar.
Holmes is a coked up shithead trolling everyone and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Oh god I had completely forgotten Caylus. How did I forget Caylus? (Not actual name)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

2-5 I was a little disappointed that 2-4 and 2-5 are just one big case and they wrap everything up in a single trial. The only investigation was the one, admittedly amazing, dance of deduction. That plus there being no jury for the whole double case made it a bit of a letdown. Buuuut it was still good overall and very satisfying to bring all the pieces together. I do wish they'd done more with Dr. Sithe though I couldn't believe she was never brought back after Case 3. I was also convinced there was something going on with her name change and her daughter having a different last name but I guess not.

I did love these two games. Back to having no more Ace Attorney to play.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Check out the escapades if you haven’t already — they’re fun little slice-of-life episodes that slot neatly into the first game’s timeline

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Start of 2-1 Susato's twitching eyes made me laugh out loud

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Start of 2-2:
Someone sure likes obscure terms for different kinds of carriages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What the gently caress are you supposed to do after examining the storeroom in 1-5??? I don't remember having any trouble here before but I've somehow run into an inescapable situation where there's nothing new to do anywhere and i can't think of anything to present to anyone that would help

The game's not even giving me the usual "i think we should investigate this area more" in the move menu!