Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rolo posted:

Does your brain get better at remembering melodies with practice?

I’ll think of a cool drum sequence and by the time I find the first sound it’s gone. Maybe I just need to get faster at putting stuff down so I can tweak it later.
Maybe use some kind of notation to just jot it down on a notepad before the idea fades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Maybe use some kind of notation to just jot it down on a notepad before the idea fades?

Use whatever voice memo app your phone has to sing it out. Or beatbox as the case may be.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Does your brain get better at remembering melodies with practice?

no

xzzy posted:

Use whatever voice memo app your phone has to sing it out. Or beatbox as the case may be.

do this

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Welp, I've ordered an NTS-1.

Also just discovered, while browsing patches, that it uses the same SDK as the Prologue and Minilogue XD, so you can load in publicly-created oscillators and effects made for those units.

And the SDK is public, in case you feel like coding your own nonsense.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

:same:

Mixers are great to fiddle with when the film crew comes in to do a documentary about your creative process. But for actually doing stuff an octopus worth of inputs is where the fun is at.

or get a patchbay and do both :q:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also just discovered, while browsing patches, that it uses the same SDK as the Prologue and Minilogue XD, so you can load in publicly-created oscillators and effects made for those units.

It's worth the price for the onboard fx alone. Having a mono synth attached, extreme portability, and the ability to load custom fx+oscs
are all gravy. I got mine used, and it already had a handful of custom oscillators loaded. What a steal!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Oh god dammit now I've bought one too. How does this keep happening?

Side note: they're actually cheaper here in Japan than they are in the USA, mine was the equivalent of $81.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Definitely get the MIDI adapter, it takes the NTS-1 from bloopy noise toy to fairly capable monosynth.

Also check out the extra parameters available by holding the respective buttons while turning the knobs. This is also how you access the extra parameters some of the 'logue oscillators have.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How’s the Volca Modular for something portable and educational? I want to dip my toes in learning module sound while being able to take it to the couch with me.

Watched the Korg tutorial series on it and it seems like something I’d like toying with.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

How’s the Volca Modular for something portable and educational? I want to dip my toes in learning module sound while being able to take it to the couch with me.

Watched the Korg tutorial series on it and it seems like something I’d like toying with.

Honestly? You might be better served by a Behringer Crave, since it can actually talk to other instruments via patchbay and midi, and it can connect with your PC and interface with a lot of software. I considered the Volca Modular pretty seriously when I was getting my feet wet, but just know that it's a dead end (and the Crave's only $50 more).

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Rolo posted:

How big are your fingers, it uses those tiny little jumper cables and the patch points are very very close together

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

snorch posted:

Definitely get the MIDI adapter, it takes the NTS-1 from bloopy noise toy to fairly capable monosynth.

Also check out the extra parameters available by holding the respective buttons while turning the knobs. This is also how you access the extra parameters some of the 'logue oscillators have.

Apparently it also does USB MIDI if you're willing to get a computer involved.

I'm just sad mine probably won't arrive in time for this weekend's camping trip.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Honestly? You might be better served by a Behringer Crave, since it can actually talk to other instruments via patchbay and midi, and it can connect with your PC and interface with a lot of software. I considered the Volca Modular pretty seriously when I was getting my feet wet, but just know that it's a dead end (and the Crave's only $50 more).

I feel like the VM is a really cool curio and also a really neat way to truly get into West Coast, but if you intend to like "get good" at it and really mine it for sounds and musical potential you're better off saving up for something pricier like a 0-Coast, etc.

Like there are better instruments, and better portable modular instruments that do the whole "random chaos bloops" thing

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

inferis posted:

How big are your fingers, it uses those tiny little jumper cables and the patch points are very very close together

I used to work on airplane avionics in cramped spaces so wiring small points won’t bother me at all. The compact size and battery power of the unit is what’s driving me to it over bigger modulars. I don’t have much space so I’m a fan of stuff I can take with me into another room or keep in a drawer when I’m not using it.

I’ll have a bigger place soon enough and then I’ll be able to dedicate a desk to some kind of giant spaghetti setup.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

I used to work on airplane avionics in cramped spaces so wiring small points won’t bother me at all. The compact size and battery power of the unit is what’s driving me to it over bigger modulars. I don’t have much space so I’m a fan of stuff I can take with me into another room or keep in a drawer when I’m not using it.

I’ll have a bigger place soon enough and then I’ll be able to dedicate a desk to some kind of giant spaghetti setup.

Imo just get it. The volcas are tons of fun and the size/portability will get you using it a lot. At worst you’ll move on from it eventually and it will be something you can grab every now and then to change things up and get some inspiration going.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Yeah, if portability and space are your primary concerns, go for the Volca.

If you haven't already, Bastl's Kastle 1.5 could also be worth looking at if you want a compact package -- it's even smaller than the Volca, same patching method and price range, and it's open source. But you do give up the internal speaker.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you wanna spend get one of the pico systems :devil:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

and also the kastl is a bit more experimentally oriented than the volca modular. there’s definitely overlap in the use cases but if you generally wanna stay in the 12 tone equal temperament scale i personally would go with the volca

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

watho posted:

and also the kastl is a bit more experimentally oriented than the volca modular. there’s definitely overlap in the use cases but if you generally wanna stay in the 12 tone equal temperament scale i personally would go with the volca

You can send cv and gate to the kastle, but it really does not track with 1V/oct.

But, it can be paired with a pocket operator for drums, some cheap amazon pedals + a nts-1 for effects to make strange sounds like this https://vocaroo.com/1y1pqsD9FSNX

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I went to a little shop to get the Volca Modular and they had an open-box Volca Keys. Seems to be mint and all the buttons work so I got them to let me have it for 100 bucks.

That’s it. No more music spending for at least a day or two.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

the little guitar center in a strip mall here doesn't stock any synths so they can't get me with that trick

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

brand engager posted:

the little guitar center in a strip mall here doesn't stock any synths so they can't get me with that trick

Nowhere around here sells synths or drum machines, except the odd pawn shop.
Thank gently caress.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

It's worth the price for the onboard fx alone. Having a mono synth attached, extreme portability, and the ability to load custom fx+oscs
are all gravy. I got mine used, and it already had a handful of custom oscillators loaded. What a steal!

Ahaha post office says it's arriving in time for this weekend's camping / mini festival trip. Looking forward to jamming out weird chill ambient music in the woods with this thing and a clutch of pocket operators.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I've felt like the biggest sin of the Minilogue XD was that its effects were too good for the machine not to have an audio in, and here is the NTS-1 available for use as a standalone stereo multi-effects pedal if I wanted to use it that way for less than the cost of a midrange stompbox.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Volca keys is awesome value with a midi controller. I wouldnt try to play the capacitor keys tho

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

kidfresca posted:

I've felt like the biggest sin of the Minilogue XD was that its effects were too good for the machine not to have an audio in, and here is the NTS-1 available for use as a standalone stereo multi-effects pedal if I wanted to use it that way for less than the cost of a midrange stompbox.

What can I do to the line in audio? Can I modify the line in with the LFOs and filter? Or is it just the 3 stereo effects? And I understand there are a lot of stereo effects I can load into the thing, yes?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

petit choux posted:

What can I do to the line in audio? Can I modify the line in with the LFOs and filter? Or is it just the 3 stereo effects? And I understand there are a lot of stereo effects I can load into the thing, yes?

Looks like the line in comes in after the filter but before the effects, yes.

https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/bf300d20329f73ae4d21c512be014bf3.pdf

That said, the effects can be literally anything, so you could in theory (and I believe people have) code up an LFO/filter step to put in one of the effects slots.

There are indeed ~a lot~ of stereo effects which people have made, yes. Many of them are free, too.

https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/#modulation-effects-modfx

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I hope I have a thousand synth clones

and I hope people forget the antisemiticry

and I hope that in time reviewers will cast back their minds

and think of me

a capitalist named uli

and they'll say at last I understand

you did none of it for me

skated patent laws for money

exploited the chinese

all for money

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Looks like the line in comes in after the filter but before the effects, yes.

https://cdn.korg.com/us/support/download/files/bf300d20329f73ae4d21c512be014bf3.pdf

That said, the effects can be literally anything, so you could in theory (and I believe people have) code up an LFO/filter step to put in one of the effects slots.

There are indeed ~a lot~ of stereo effects which people have made, yes. Many of them are free, too.

https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/#modulation-effects-modfx

I'm looking at all these and wow. I wasn't going to buy any more poo poo and now I'm probably going to get this one. I had been looking at it before though. Looks like a great addition to the lofi playground. But that manual doesn't provide much info.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
The people from ELECTRONICOS FANTASTICOS! made a skatepark synth controller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlOjmLeQe3w

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

The Voice of Labor posted:

and think of me

a capitalist named uli

exploited the chinese

all for money

:stare:

TYVM it's beautiful

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: As soon as I posted I randomly fixed the problem I was having with REAPER.

To actually contribute a thought, I think this Keys was a floor model. It’s in great shape and has the original sketch-brand batteries in it, but every single saved pattern is 3 seconds of silence followed by the scariest screech. I’m going to save one of them and make something of it. Something.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 6, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Voice of Labor posted:

and think of me

a capitalist named uli

exploited the chinese

all for money

I don’t disagree with you about Behringer’s edgelord bullshit and crypto-racism, to say nothing of the blatant product copying, but I do think it’s really problematic when people act like Roland and KORG and Yamaha, et al, don’t have their own rich ongoing history of exploiting Chinese labor/laws and building massive vertically integrated operations on the Asian mainland. And it’s been talked about before, but even a lot of the kit builders, independents, etc, are bulk-sourcing their components and pack-ins in the same way.

It’s like when Apple (deservedly) got a ton of flack and attention about a decade ago for conditions at Foxconn’s/Pegatron’s iPhone lines and a buttload of nerds and normies literally responded with “wow gently caress Apple, good thing I have an Android/Windows PC/Amazon Tablet/etc which I know must be exploitation free!” when basically 99% of all US-bound electronics and games consoles and computers and phones and whatnot were built by the exact same handful of manufacturing companies, often at the same plants/complexes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

No ethical consumption

But I still don’t buy behringer products

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

For me, its that I had friends who were employed building synthesizers I mean business trombones who lost jobs based on Behringer press releases, not even demo units that went nowhere (which is a separate absurdity), just like "well poo poo, if they're even thinking about that we better scale back this" and then bam suddenly people I knew were out of work. Thats a really particular experience, granted, because how many synthesizer factories are there in the US even, but it kind of brought it home.

There might not be ethical consumption under late capitalism but there is unethical consumption, that's for sure.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
All the business trombone jobs went to Japan a long time ago.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

can we please change the thread subtitle to “there’s no such thing as a business trombone”

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Valve Business Tromboners Union Local 6 7/8
You show? We blow!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

snorch posted:

drat thats the kind of instrument you see on Star Trek. I want it I dont care what it sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

snorch posted:

*jamming in Borg*