Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also if you’re vaccinated you’ll come up positive on some antibody tests so it’s not really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah my wife and I are due in September and there's no way in hell anyone but us will be in that house for the first month.

“my wife and i are due”

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

helsabot posted:

“my wife and i are due”

Maybe they're sewn together like a human centipede with one slight difference.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

acems posted:

my partner texted me last night saying “i have allergies and a headache :(

we spent the previous 3 days together
lol
lmao

Did they say they're sneezing? If so then it probably is just allergies

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Did they say they're sneezing? If so then it probably is just allergies

sneezing is a symptom of delta for vaxxed people

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1422388466298626058

High vaccination rate is extremely effective at protecting a demographic with a 0% vaccination rate from infection

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

So what they’re saying is idiocy is transmissible

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I. M. Gei posted:

Things I found out last weekend during a family reunion:
• Another one of my uncles is a domestic abuse apologist

Sounds like vaccines are the least of your problems

how do you become a domestic abuse apologist? When you start going "Well, you only hit them when they deserve it" :smugdog:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

who here's got AZ? what interval are people doing?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pinecone Sample posted:

High vaccination rate is extremely effective at protecting a demographic with a 0% vaccination rate from infection
That's good news indeed and perhaps my doomer brain can take a breather!

Granted, FL has ~3x the population of MA, but that's still 4x higher per capita.

LA is looking particularly bad since their population is about 2/3 of MA's, so a ~10x higher infection rate for kids is pretty oof.

LA's vaccination rate is 37% fully vaxxed versus 64% for MA, with FL in between at 49%. I wonder how much of the infection disparity between MA and FL is because of that 15% and how much of it is because DeSantis is actively trying to murder his people.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

brugroffil posted:

Lots of people have little trust of the US healthcare system and things that are advertised for "free."
Grocery stores and pharmacies, right now, advertise "free*" flu shots that actually cost fifty dollars when you finish getting them if you don't have your insurance info

I can absolutely understand someone assuming the covid vax is the same nonsense

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ShadowHawk posted:

Grocery stores and pharmacies, right now, advertise "free*" flu shots that actually cost fifty dollars when you finish getting them if you don't have your insurance info

I can absolutely understand someone assuming the covid vax is the same nonsense
The places around here have "FREE*" on their signs as well, with the * saying "with insurance or through a federal program for the uninsured." Are there people who don't qualify for the federal program, e.g., undocumented immigrants?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dren posted:

sneezing is a symptom of delta for vaxxed people

Oh geez, it is. I guess its almost impossible now to tell the difference between allergies and covid now without a test. Maybe if taking allergy meds relieves your symptoms

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pinecone Sample posted:

It no doubt has a large effect but there's obviously several factors at play here (level of continued NPI use in each state, whether schools have been reopened, how often kids are tested) so attributing the difference entirely to a single factor is bad form.

Zugzwang posted:

The places around here have "FREE*" on their signs as well, with the * saying "with insurance or through a federal program for the uninsured."

Anecdotally, there's still a lot of people out there who aren't aware that the vaccines are free. The messaging on this front has clearly been inadequate.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It no doubt has a large effect but there's obviously several factors at play here (level of continued NPI use in each state, whether schools have been reopened, how often kids are tested) so attributing the difference entirely to a single factor is bad form.

Anecdotally, there's still a lot of people out there who aren't aware that the vaccines are free. The messaging on this front has clearly been inadequate.

Yep there's been about 3 people I know that asked me how much the vaccines cost. Of course these people also literally never watch the news.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

well why not posted:

AZ here. 12 weeks between doses.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Speaking as somebody who is nervous about COVID and masking indoors but not as doomer as most posters in this thread, I thought this was a well-written post that digs into the risks of COVID and long COVID (and actual serious long COVID) for a vaccinated person. https://www.mattbell.us/delta-and-long-covid/

For other folks like me who are don't have personal risk factors, don't have old people or kids to worry about, and just want to stay safe, I thought this was a good post that explains the very real risks that we still face without exaggeration. I encourage folks to check it out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Optimists in this thread have been let down constantly by the events that unfolded over the last 18 months. The people you're calling doomers are just calling it like it is

I was an optimist once. I really thought back in January 2020 that we would be able to keep a lid on the outbreak, that the alarm bells were ringing loud enough for people to take the matter seriously. I don't think that you could pay attention to what happened after that and come out the other end still an optimist.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

gohuskies posted:

Speaking as somebody who is nervous about COVID and masking indoors but not as doomer as most posters in this thread, I thought this was a well-written post that digs into the risks of COVID and long COVID (and actual serious long COVID) for a vaccinated person. https://www.mattbell.us/delta-and-long-covid/

For other folks like me who are don't have personal risk factors, don't have old people or kids to worry about, and just want to stay safe, I thought this was a good post that explains the very real risks that we still face without exaggeration. I encourage folks to check it out.
Interesting read. Wasn't the Israel data he cites heavily confounded by sample size and the fact that people vaccinated longest ago were the most at-risk to begin with?

Still, I'm wondering if there would be any major downsides to rolling into the local pharmacy, telling them my name is Justin Jectme and no I don't have ID or insurance, and getting a 3rd jab.

QuarkJets posted:

Optimists in this thread have been let down constantly by the events that unfolded over the last 18 months. The people you're calling doomers are just calling it like it is

I was an optimist once. I really thought back in January 2020 that we would be able to keep a lid on the outbreak, that the alarm bells were ringing loud enough for people to take the matter seriously. I don't think that you could pay attention to what happened after that and come out the other end still an optimist.
It's pretty drat dispiriting to see that things haven't changed a whole lot under the new leadership. The GOP is doubling down on the death cult poo poo and the Democrats are doubling down on optimism. One is a lot more wrong than the other, but both are still wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DickParasite posted:

But seriously many, maybe the majority of people, simply can't contextualize risk in the way needed to combat Covid. That's probably been true for decades, and it may have been worse in the past (less access to education, leaded gasoline), but thanks to conservative and social media spreading conspiratorial thinking, now many just completely distrust government institutions. Yes the CDC and the WHO got it wrong initially with lockdowns and mask mandates, but even if they'd gotten it right, it wouldn't have changed any opinions in the anti-vax and anti-mask crowd.

Just as an example of how bad the disinfo out there is getting .......

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1421886805427867654

Good luck combatting that with the limp "Please get vaxxed, okay?? Pretty please? Oh and start wearing masks again plz?" messaging from the WH and the CDC

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

this was me! to me it was unthinkable that our existing plans for handling outbreaks that had been in place for over a decade, and general public awareness of how pandemics spread via the once popular zombie media, in addition to how most people generally believe in germ theory, wouldn't have been enough to lock this down in a month.

and then the capitalists appeared......

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charliegrs posted:

Yep there's been about 3 people I know that asked me how much the vaccines cost.

Hmm these folks seem kind of ignorant.

Charliegrs posted:

these people also literally never watch the news.

Nah actually they’re in the top decile of Americans in intelligence.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just as an example of how bad the disinfo out there is getting .......

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1421886805427867654
Roger Stone gave a speech there in August 2020 about his Christian faith, lol.

The pastor is reportedly turning away anyone wearing a mask. What's the worst that can happen?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zugzwang posted:

Roger Stone gave a speech there in August 2020 about his Christian faith, lol.

The pastor is reportedly turning away anyone wearing a mask. What's the worst that can happen?

The deathcult conspiracy poo poo is really baffling. If the death toll gets high enough then maybe they'll finally get a comeuppance, but as it is this kind of poo poo leaks out and makes slightly more reasonable people hesitant about vaccination. It's bizarre.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

well why not posted:

8 weeks (UK).

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Here in Stockholm Sweden we just changed the interval from 7 weeks to 4 weeks for Pfizer and Moderna, and the elderly who got AZ get to decide if they want a third booster of the mRNA vaccines :)

Its almost been 4 weeks since I got my first Pfizer jab, my boyfriend got it a bit earlier and he got his second dose yesterday.

Can't wait for mine.

Also we're getting 10 million doses of the updated vaccine in autumn.

Still wearing a mask indoors and cycling to work instead of taking the subway, lost nearly 6 lbs already and I feel fantastic.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

well why not posted:

I could have gone earlier but stuck with my original appt which had me at 11 weeks. All the info I could find said it was best at 12. (UK)

Didn't know about the Pfizer boost when I went unfortunately or I'd have asked.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

A colleague of mine caught covid at least once last year (felt sick the same way at two different points with covid symptoms, got tested both times but second time got a positive result and the first negative), is now fully vaccinated, then last week developed conjunctivitis - I told him your eyes are potential infection entryways, which he didn't realise, so it could be covid.

Over the weekend he got a ton of covid symptoms and got tested on Monday - positive.

Maaaaaaan.

I'm glad I've avoided catching it so far because all this talk of potentially permanent subtle cognitive impairment and all the other potential stuff would make me stress out for the rest of my life.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This is probably old hat for other people but Australia is now laying out vaccination target roadmaps for reopening borders and avoiding lockdowns and so on, and talking about how we have to accept that COVID will eventually be circulating in the community and we'll have deaths from it every year, and gently caress it's just depressing. I know on a logical level I was never much at risk in the first place, and that when I get vaccinated I'll be even less likely to get sick, but loving hell, I didn't spend all those months scrubbing groceries in lockdown just to accept that actually I'm going to have to catch it one day after all. Thanks a lot Europe.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

freebooter posted:

Thanks a lot Europe.

Lol Australia has otherwise handled it perfectly??

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Not perfectly, but better than most.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The gently caress kind of name is Global Vision Bible Church

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The kind that's usually followed by the letters LLC.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

KinkyJohn posted:

The gently caress kind of name is Global Vision Bible Church

Honestly, if they don't have a laser gun mounted to the top of their church then I'm gonna be quite dissatisfied.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Hmm.

On one hand, I don't like really like landlords but I kinda agree with this guy, regardless where it falls on the law.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Akuma posted:

A colleague of mine caught covid at least once last year (felt sick the same way at two different points with covid symptoms, got tested both times but second time got a positive result and the first negative), is now fully vaccinated, then last week developed conjunctivitis - I told him your eyes are potential infection entryways, which he didn't realise, so it could be covid.

Over the weekend he got a ton of covid symptoms and got tested on Monday - positive.

Maaaaaaan.

I'm glad I've avoided catching it so far because all this talk of potentially permanent subtle cognitive impairment and all the other potential stuff would make me stress out for the rest of my life.

I've heard stories from a few people like this and it's really mind boggling. I wonder if they're either constantly licking doorknobs or if there's actually something about their physiology that makes them COVID magnets.

There was a recent paper showing that some people's upper respiratory cells have pretty bad immune responses to SARS-CoV-2 which can lead to more severe disease so I wonder if something like that is going on in these COVID magnets who catch it multiple times while others who are directly exposed don't.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
It's important to note that this is a situation where the landlord is a live-in landlord, ie renting a room in someone else's home.

There's a reason most tenant laws exclude that situation from various forms of protection. "Seeking female roommate" ads, for instance, might be illegal if gender discrimination rules weren't exempted from this case.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

ShadowHawk posted:

It's important to note that this is a situation where the landlord is a live-in landlord, ie renting a room in someone else's home.

There's a reason most tenant laws exclude that situation from various forms of protection. "Seeking female roommate" ads, for instance, might be illegal if gender discrimination rules weren't exempted from this case.

Yeah, that's a big reason why I agree with the landlord in this case. He and his wife would be in direct danger by allowing this kid to move into their basement, not to mention the other renters. There's a lot of hand wringing from lawyers about slippery slopes in that article.

"What if they suddenly want to know about OTHER vaccines for OTHER diseases?!" Dude. Month 18 of a global pandemic. Shut up.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Pretty close to, only about two or three countries in the world have done better, but my point there was that Europe was the place that really decided to just let it rip. China had it well under control by the first week of March 2020. Now everybody on the planet just has to deal with it for centuries to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Mask "mandate" is back at my job. Anywhere that's considered substantial or high transmission rates. Each location (we're a worldwide company, this is specifically US policy) has a covid coordinator selected, each day they check the current transmission rates on the CDC website and act accordingly.

That also applies to any customers or vendors coming in.

Best freaking move we've made in a while, just last week they were sending hundreds of people a week down to Memphis TN for training.