Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe use youtube-dl on a desktop and transfer the files to the iPad for local play?

Either access them in files.app or find a dedicated player. VLC can certainly do it but maybe there's simpler one tap options that work with young kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

You could use YouTube-dl on the iPad itself and download them for viewing in some other app. Or maybe see how flexible the YouTube Kids app is?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

You could use YouTube-dl on the iPad itself and download them for viewing in some other app. Or maybe see how flexible the YouTube Kids app is?

YouTube is notorious for showing adult themed ads to kids. A lot of the videos are filled with some truly crazy poo poo too. It absolutely needs to be curated by a parent.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

xzzy posted:

YouTube is notorious for showing adult themed ads to kids. A lot of the videos are filled with some truly crazy poo poo too. It absolutely needs to be curated by a parent.

Oh god absolutely. https://www.wired.co.uk/article/youtube-for-kids-videos-problems-algorithm-recommend

I think a plex install sounds like a relatively easy and (once set up) low maintenance way of doing this.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Plex is definitely the way to go. Use youtube-dl (or Vidl for a GUI on Mac) and point it at Blippi playlist, download the whole thing, drop blippi files in the Plex media directory and refresh library. Done - no more need for YouTube app.

I ran Plex on a raspberry pi for a while before switching to a Synology disk station, which lets you install Plex from their “app store” along with a ton of other useful server things, and getting their transcoding license to support all the devices all the time.

It’s very useful for giving all the family iPads (to keep this on topic) and the streaming devices access to the same media with no YouTube nonsense and no need to manage files device by device. Any time there’s a YouTube video someone likes, I grab it and drop it in Plex.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Aino Minako posted:

Plex is definitely the way to go. Use youtube-dl (or Vidl for a GUI on Mac) and point it at Blippi playlist
Just be sure not to get that one Blippi video.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

IMO you should not add Blippi to it, and when they ask about it you should gaslight them and act like Blippi doesn't exist. Blippi is the worst.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s the poop guy right?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
In to recommend anything but Blippi, especially since the Imposter has done two videos now.

Seriously get Mayta instead. B is way better and doesn’t act like an 8-year-old from a broken home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“blip blop blop”, said R2D2

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

my solution would be to get rid of the kids

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
I've got an iPad 5th gen that I have been looking at upgrading. I am running into a lot of slowdowns when playing Magic the Gathering Arena on it.

How big of a leap will the iPad Air 4 be for me? I see that I can get a free set of Airpods right now if I buy one so it seems like the right time.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Man, it’s hella disappointing that the iPad Pro 10.5” doesn’t get the Live Text and Visual Lookup stuff in iPadOS 15.

I wonder if that’s all meta data that’s saved in the cloud and would work on the iPad if I use a compatible iPhone to AI-tag the photos.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
I've currently got an iPad Pro 10.5 (2017), is the Air (4th Gen) much of an upgrade, or more a sideways step? With trade-in and a work discount, I could pick one up for about £220 out of pocket.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Man, it’s hella disappointing that the iPad Pro 10.5” doesn’t get the Live Text and Visual Lookup stuff in iPadOS 15.

I wonder if that’s all meta data that’s saved in the cloud and would work on the iPad if I use a compatible iPhone to AI-tag the photos.

Do we know if the Air 4 has it?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do we know if the Air 4 has it?
It's a feature listed as "Available on iPad with A12 Bionic and later." so I think it should be able to work.

The Pro 10.5" is still a really good device - not sure I wanna upgrade just to get the lens feature from Google Photos - which I can already do just by using their app instead of Apple's. Though honestly I could see it working perfectly as a jailbreak feature and there's no actual hardware reason to lock it out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

dirtyfrog posted:

I've currently got an iPad Pro 10.5 (2017), is the Air (4th Gen) much of an upgrade, or more a sideways step? With trade-in and a work discount, I could pick one up for about £220 out of pocket.

It's always hard to compared the iPad Pro CPUs to the normal CPUs, but it's probably a slight upgrade.
You lose ProMotion and quad stereo.
Gain USB-C.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

dirtyfrog posted:

My opinion, but I would think Pro Morion (120mhz) Is an automatic downgrade right there.

I am in a similar spot, I have the 10.5 pro myself. Fantastic device, but I would get the 2020 or 2021 pro as upgrades, it would be worth it over the Air to me.

And yeah, I was posting here that I was going to update to the 2021 iPad, and I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Mostly for right time to spend money reasons. But I think that would be the right upgrade going from any Pro versus going with the Air.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Another thing to point out is the price between the Air4 and the M1Pro. No idea how it is in UK, but in AU:
Air4 64GB is 899, 256GB is 1129.
Pro 128GB is 1199, 256GB is 1349.

So if you want >64GB but probably don't need the full 256, then the Pro is very competitive.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
As someone with an iPhone and an iPad, I don’t think anything I own has a USB-C port so, for the time being, that would be a downgrade for me too by needing multiple types of cable.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I can confirm that it is annoying to need both a Lightning cable and a USB-C cable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah Apple should just move the iPhone to USB-C already so I only need one cable type to charge my IPad, MacBook, Phone, and game consoles.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to disable the swipe to open camera gesture on the lock screen? I have not, and will not, ever wanted to use my iPad as a camera but I keep accidentally triggering it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to disable the swipe to open camera gesture on the lock screen? I have not, and will not, ever wanted to use my iPad as a camera but I keep accidentally triggering it.
If there's no way all I can think of is workarounds like parental controls to just disable the camera app entirely or something like a shortcut that triggers when it opens, but doesn't seem to be options to just close it/go home, or lock the screen again, just open another app instead? Course it'd be followed by an unlock prompt, but maybe that's enough to stop the camera app from doing anything.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I have two USB-C cables, one that's on the fritz and one that's in a dock that doesn't move -- but lightning cables are all over the place. Would have just one format so I can then buy a bundle of high quality cables.

I know I know I should just buy a new USB-C cable but I have a personal threshold of procrastination to hit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

Yeah I have two USB-C cables, one that's on the fritz and one that's in a dock that doesn't move -- but lightning cables are all over the place. Would have just one format so I can then buy a bundle of high quality cables.

I know I know I should just buy a new USB-C cable but I have a personal threshold of procrastination to hit.

I get slick deals alerts for high quality cheap cables all the time. Like 2 for $10 at this point.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is the 11” iPad Pro display any better than a regular MBP or MBA screen? Maybe better ppi but that’s it, right? No HDR or wider color gamut like the 12.9” XDR?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is the 11” iPad Pro display any better than a regular MBP or MBA screen? Maybe better ppi but that’s it, right? No HDR or wider color gamut like the 12.9” XDR?

ProMotion 120hz and 600nits display on the iPad Pro vs 60hz and 500/400nits on the MBP/MBA

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The 11 inch has wide color gamut and can display HDR also.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know this isn’t the right thread for this but god drat the download quality of prime videos is literally poo poo tier.

HD my rear end.

Disney + videos on the other hand are fuckin great.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I guess it’s time to get a skin for my Magic Keyboard; I noticed today that it’s starting to rip. I did a quick search and it seems like people like the SopiGuard ones. Are they OK? Any recommendations as far as texture or anything?

Edit: If it matters, I’m just looking for something for the outside and mainly just for the bottom, so far the top and the insides are all fine.

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 10, 2021

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Is there an app that lets me use the Apple Pencil to write down notes, that are then translated into text? OCR, I guess?

I haven't used an iPad in forever but I really wish I could take notes during a Zoom meeting on my iPad and then immediately have those notes able to upload to Slack.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CelestialScribe posted:

Is there an app that lets me use the Apple Pencil to write down notes, that are then translated into text? OCR, I guess?

The default notes app has them.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The default notes app has them.

No poo poo? Dope.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CelestialScribe posted:

No poo poo? Dope.

Yeah. You can search handwriting and also select/highlight it as if you would any typed text

It’s pretty slick how well it works. They’re expanding on this with whatever voodoo ML iOS uses for text recognition and applying to photos as well in iOS15. So you can take a photo of a menu/sign/whiteboard/anything and then you can search/copy text from it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Apple Notes is crazy with the stuff they don’t advertise. I suggest watching some YouTube videos to get the most out of it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there any ipad app or use-case that runs noticeably faster on an m1 ipad pro versus the 1st gen one?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don’t think anything I own has a USB-C

lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

is there any ipad app or use-case that runs noticeably faster on an m1 ipad pro versus the 1st gen one?

I hope the answer is "no" because I just bought a friend an M1 iPad Pro and I do not need the temptation to trade in my 1st Gen Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I haven’t noticed a speed bump at all. That’s without any side-by-side tests, but the general experience has been the same.