Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

funkybottoms posted:

Black Elvis/Lost in Space

you should also check out Deltron 3030 and Handsome Boy Modeling School

Deltron 3030 for sure and also Hieroglyphics. Doh, you were talking about Kool Keith, not Del.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Crossppating from the stupid/small questions thread:

I'm looking for the name of a genre/style of music that I can't really find or even describe well. The best I can do is the feeling it has - a lonely walk in the city. I think you'd most likely find it in non-comedy shows like Louie or Master of None in the pensive parts. Also it's something you would hear on lo-fi beats but without the beats part. I think it goes back way farther than that because I'm hearing it in my head with prominent electric organ, then later with synth.

I can't really think of any examples, but the intro to Where It's At comes vaguely has the sound.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Am I making any sense at all?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ulver's Perdition City always gave me the feeling of a lonely walk in the city, but it's probably not at all what you're looking for.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

Crossppating from the stupid/small questions thread:

I'm looking for the name of a genre/style of music that I can't really find or even describe well. The best I can do is the feeling it has - a lonely walk in the city. I think you'd most likely find it in non-comedy shows like Louie or Master of None in the pensive parts. Also it's something you would hear on lo-fi beats but without the beats part. I think it goes back way farther than that because I'm hearing it in my head with prominent electric organ, then later with synth.

I can't really think of any examples, but the intro to Where It's At comes vaguely has the sound.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Am I making any sense at all?

Something like this? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc8-pD4Dzpg
That kind of jazzy, melancholy sound?

Or either of these?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ijcTx6vBoJw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b-j07BRzq1g

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

Ulver's Perdition City always gave me the feeling of a lonely walk in the city, but it's probably not at all what you're looking for.

Definitely not, but that album is a hell of a suggestion. Listening to it now, thanks.

That is definitely the feeling, thanks! Now imagine those played on something like a wurlitzer 200.

I guess I'm looking for some brand of jazz?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I guess I'm looking for some brand of jazz?

I've seen the kind of "lonely city night" feeling stuff be called "Jazz Noir" or "Noir Jazz" or just "Dark Jazz", maybe that could help narrow it down?

For what it's worth, I love that kind of stuff and would be all over something that was basically the same but mixed with synthwave/chillwave.

EDIT: I did come across this while searching YT for "electronic noir jazz" and it sounds like it might hit the mark for you? Still pretty light on the electronic elements though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfVxFj8aBPI

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 19, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

ultrafilter posted:

This is amazing and hits just right. Thank you for introducing me to it.

E: apparently they change up genres a lot? Listening to Flowers of Evil and it sounds like The Lost Boys soundtrack (also awesome but very different from Perdition City)

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 19, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

E: apparently they change up genres a lot?

Famously they were part of the infamous Norwegian black metal scene of the early/mid-90s, so yeah, it's been kind of their thing to switch it up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

regulargonzalez posted:

E: apparently they change up genres a lot? Listening to Flowers of Evil and it sounds like The Lost Boys soundtrack (also awesome but very different from Perdition City)

Their last few albums have a pretty consistent sound, but yeah, for a while they were operating in a different genre with every album. The closest thing they've done to Perdition City is the Teachings in Silence EP, but it's not really all that close. You might like Kveldssanger too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think Paradise Lost did that too. Death metal, then new wave, then back to death metal

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 19, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nordick posted:

I've seen the kind of "lonely city night" feeling stuff be called "Jazz Noir" or "Noir Jazz" or just "Dark Jazz", maybe that could help narrow it down?

For what it's worth, I love that kind of stuff and would be all over something that was basically the same but mixed with synthwave/chillwave.

EDIT: I did come across this while searching YT for "electronic noir jazz" and it sounds like it might hit the mark for you? Still pretty light on the electronic elements though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfVxFj8aBPI

Yeah those search terms are getting me pretty close, thanks! And yeah that song is so so close.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
20th/21st century pianist-composers, anyone? Got into Rzewski and was looking for other stuff in a (post) modernist piano music vein.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

20th/21st century pianist-composers, anyone? Got into Rzewski and was looking for other stuff in a (post) modernist piano music vein.
Steve Reich has a few piano compositions. Piano Phase is one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BigFactory posted:

Steve Reich has a few piano compositions. Piano Phase is one.

I love Reich! To be more specific I was looking for atonal or "atonality-inspired" (for lack of a better description of Rzewski) stuff, rather than minimalist.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm unsure if he's post modernist enough or at all for you, but Ryuichi Sakamoto?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'll give him a shot, you have any performers you recommend?

(also I'm probably using 'post-modern' wrong, i mainly mean "late 20th/21st century, following the era of Schoenberg/Webern/etc" when i say that)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

I'd recommend Toby Driver's bands Maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot as another good example of a metal artist constantly hopping genres. there's definitely a good comparison to be made between them and ulver.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'll give him a shot, you have any performers you recommend?

(also I'm probably using 'post-modern' wrong, i mainly mean "late 20th/21st century, following the era of Schoenberg/Webern/etc" when i say that)

Only other one I can think of is Bill Laswell

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ligeti is kind of a given but if you’ve somehow missed the boat, ligeti

i also really dig lera auerbach: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=248&v=GaXA_j65yXY&feature=emb_title

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Declan MacManus posted:

ligeti is kind of a given but if you’ve somehow missed the boat, ligeti

i also really dig lera auerbach: https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=248&v=GaXA_j65yXY&feature=emb_title

Ty and don't worry about making "obvious" selections, I've got big gaps in the repitoire I've done deep dives into

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I recently played Kentucky Route Zero, and I'm looking for more songs like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HxIj8NEXY

I don't know how to describe it. Piercing is the right sensation but the wrong connotation. Maybe it's the lack of music, but her voice is just so crystal clear, like the literal audio quality is 10x better than any other song on YT... I dunno, it's just extremely pretty and pleasant and it hits different.

All recommendations appreciated, thank you!

edit: thank you all for the recommendations, these are great!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 3, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

surf rock posted:

I recently played Kentucky Route Zero, and I'm looking for more songs like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5HxIj8NEXY

I don't know how to describe it. Piercing is the right sensation but the wrong connotation. Maybe it's the lack of music, but her voice is just so crystal clear, like the literal audio quality is 10x better than any other song on YT... I dunno, it's just extremely pretty and pleasant and it hits different.

This might scratch the same itch? It’s got accompaniment but it’s low in the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir32ZWP334w

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

surf rock posted:

Like you said, the piercing quality probably comes from the focus on one singer doing a song that normally has musical accompaniment. It reminds me a lot of the isolated vocal tracks people will take out of famous songs. You can find a lot of those on Youtube, though a lot of them are from rock (I think because a lot of them were ripped from the Rock Band games).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoqsr2qWbUI

As for the song I'm Going That Way itself, it's an old hymn. So there's a lot of old timey acapella gospel music like it but they're usually being sung by choirs :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-bA1RqYrs

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Got another one you might like OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IArxakPsPE0

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

surf rock posted:

*snip*

This one also has some accompaniment, but it's pretty minimalistic. It's very much centered / focused on the singer. The mood is different than in your example, very emotional and melancholic. Absolutely beautiful song though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hc0u2mpsM4

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

This is my song list of music that I listen to in my truck. Any solid albums that fit this sort of motif? Been listening to Saves the Day - Stay What You Are tonight on repeat about 5 times already. Would love to add more good early emoish albums but nothing too metal-core.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cheese Thief posted:

Been listening to Saves the Day - Stay What You Are tonight on repeat about 5 times already.

One of the best

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Cheese Thief posted:

This is my song list of music that I listen to in my truck. Any solid albums that fit this sort of motif? Been listening to Saves the Day - Stay What You Are tonight on repeat about 5 times already. Would love to add more good early emoish albums but nothing too metal-core.

What are you considering "early emoish" albums? Probably going to date myself with these mostly obvious go-to's.

Get you some Cursive. Domestica and The Ugly Organ are solid entry points, along with the Burst and Bloom EP.
Also check out Kasher's other project The Good Life. Album of the Year is a fun listen.

Jawbreaker's 24 Hour Revenge Therapy and Dear You are totally worth a spin. Blake did a thing after Jawbreaker split. The first two Jets to Brazil albums (Orange Rhyming Dictionary and Four Cornered Night) might pique your interest.

You've probably heard all those suggestions already, but just in case you haven't ...
Also maybe try some Sunny Day Real Estate. Diary and How It Feels to Be Something On are viable starters.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cheese Thief posted:

I would suggest Karate’s whole catalogue, but especially The Bed is in the Ocean, Unsolved, and Pockets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsVg5Hv1yQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKhm98kjKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gh-4yLcrJI

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 3, 2021

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

second all hatelull's reccs, was gonna specifically say SDRE anyway. to add to the list, check out some post hardcore bands from 10-20 years ago like chiodos, alexisonfire, dance gavin dance, fall of troy, finch, blood brothers, at the drive-in. not post hardcore but afi's sing the sorrow fits in with the rest of that playlist perfectly as well

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

hatelull posted:

What are you considering "early emoish" albums? Probably going to date myself with these mostly obvious go-to's.

Get you some Cursive. Domestica and The Ugly Organ are solid entry points, along with the Burst and Bloom EP.
Also check out Kasher's other project The Good Life. Album of the Year is a fun listen.

Jawbreaker's 24 Hour Revenge Therapy and Dear You are totally worth a spin. Blake did a thing after Jawbreaker split. The first two Jets to Brazil albums (Orange Rhyming Dictionary and Four Cornered Night) might pique your interest.

You've probably heard all those suggestions already, but just in case you haven't ...
Also maybe try some Sunny Day Real Estate. Diary and How It Feels to Be Something On are viable starters.

hehe thanks for the advice. I unfortunately don't like Cursive. Jawbreaker/JtB of course are classic but they're kind of dated. Also I wore out SDRE in high school and just can't bring myself to listen to that again. I'm looking for Myspace era or late 90s midwestern emo.
By the way, on the subject of SDRE, I think Mineral is the better band :) When I wrote 'early emoish' I made a typo and left out stating early 00s

Hooplah posted:

second all hatelull's reccs, was gonna specifically say SDRE anyway. to add to the list, check out some post hardcore bands from 10-20 years ago like chiodos, alexisonfire, dance gavin dance, fall of troy, finch, blood brothers, at the drive-in. not post hardcore but afi's sing the sorrow fits in with the rest of that playlist perfectly as well

Thanks that's the stuff I'm looking for. I forgot about Equal Vision Records! I remember Tooth&Nail too. I think I'll look up those record labels and listen to all the bands.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 3, 2021

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Cheese Thief posted:

hehe thanks for the advice. I unfortunately don't like Cursive. Jawbreaker/JtB of course are classic but they're kind of dated. Also I wore out SDRE in high school and just can't bring myself to listen to that again. I'm looking for Myspace era or late 90s midwestern emo.
By the way, on the subject of SDRE, I think Mineral is the better band :)

Thanks that's the stuff I'm looking for. I forgot about Equal Vision Records! I remember Tooth&Nail too. I think I'll look up those record labels and listen to all the bands.

Mineral's two LPs are sublime, for sure. I got to see them again when they toured in support of re-releases for The Power of Failing and EndSerenading and it was righteous. Hearing "Parking Lot" live again was cathartic.

As for T&N, Starflyer59 were the only project that I still spin from that label. mewithoutYou channel the bookish Cursive spirit and Roadside Monument had some pretty progressive experimental early indie material for what was mostly a "copy and paste" label of whatever sound was popular at the time with some added positivity that may or may not be related to Jesus. The Juliana Theory had a few ok tracks.

I'm horrible with location. What about post-hardcore acts like Jawbox? They are seminal and nothing near underground, but J's early project post breakup Burning Airlines has some solid cuts. Mission: Control! is tasty tasty. There's always The Promise Ring. Sure you already heard them. Braid??

I never really got into the myspace scene, so I will have to tap out now. :)

hatelull fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 3, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

hatelull posted:

Mineral's two LPs are sublime, for sure. I got to see them again when they toured in support of releases for The Power of Failing and EndSerenading and it was righteous. Hearing "Parking Lot" live again was cathartic.

As for T&N, Starflyer59 were the only project that I still spin from that label. mewithoutYou channel the bookish Cursive spirit and Roadside Monument had some pretty progressive experimental early indie material for what was mostly a "copy and paste" label of whatever sound was popular at the time with some added positivity that may or may not be related to Jesus. The Juliana Theory had a few ok tracks.

I'm horrible with location. What about post-hardcore acts like Jawbox? They are seminal and nothing near underground, but his J's early project post breakup Burning Airlines has some solid cuts. Mission: Control! is tasty tasty. There's always The Promise Ring. Sure you already heard them. Braid??

I never really got into the myspace scene, so I will have to tap out now. :)

lol yes I remember all those bands you mentioned. I do really like the Promise Ring and I rip off the solo from Picture Postcard all the time in my guitar playing. The vocalist is, at least on 30 Degrees, pretty not great at singing. Like a more harsh Steve Malkmus. Everyone in college was real big into mewithoutYou. I'll be sure to pick up the two popular albums they had. I've heard of Jawbox, I think I confuse them with Glassjaw. Braid is of course great but I've listened to them so much that it reminds of times from my past I'd rather not go back to. It was nice remembering some of these bands you mentioned because it reminds me of freshmen year. I'm really trying to hit 2004 Hot Topic mall music.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

for from under the cork tree specifically, lifetime’s jersey’s best dancers is essential

for more general 00s emo/post-hardcore, these arms are snakes’ oxeneers and hot cross’ risk revival are two i hold close to my heart

there’s also joshua fit for battle (anything really) and receiving end of sirens (between the heart and the synapse)

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Cheese Thief posted:

"Something to Write Home About" by The Get Up Kids seems to fall right in that sweet spot between pop-punk and the older wave of emo. I'm going to assume you've heard it, because it was one of the "big ones", but you never know.

Texas is The Reason's "Do You Know Who You Are" is the other one conspicuous by its absence.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 4, 2021

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Disco Pope posted:

"Something to Write Home About" by The Get Up Kids seems to fall right in that sweet spot between pop-punk and the older wave of emo. I'm going to assume you've heard it, because it was one of the "big ones", but you never know.

Texas is The Reason's "Do You Know Who You Are" is the other one conspicuous by its absence.

I've listened to both those albums so much that I'm trying to move on. I missed out on albums form the 00s because I was into critically acclaimed bands, from Fugazi as #1 of all time all the way down. But I'm looking for low brow music I missed out on, like Good Charlotte, except Good Charlotte sucks except for maybe 2 songs.

So far I really like Chiodos and AFI. I have Alexisonfire - Watch Out and it seems like it fits. Was relistening to mewithoutYou and I didn't like it back then and it still doesn't stick with me. Finch is good, From First to Last, From Autumn to Ashes. That's probably good enough to ride around like a kid with long black straightened hair girl jeans and a black band hoodie.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Cheese Thief posted:

I've listened to both those albums so much that I'm trying to move on. I missed out on albums form the 00s because I was into critically acclaimed bands, from Fugazi as #1 of all time all the way down. But I'm looking for low brow music I missed out on, like Good Charlotte, except Good Charlotte sucks except for maybe 2 songs.

So far I really like Chiodos and AFI. I have Alexisonfire - Watch Out and it seems like it fits. Was relistening to mewithoutYou and I didn't like it back then and it still doesn't stick with me. Finch is good, From First to Last, From Autumn to Ashes. That's probably good enough to ride around like a kid with long black straightened hair girl jeans and a black band hoodie.

well too bad because i have more

my chemical romance - three cheers for sweet revenge (can't believe i forgot to mention this one first time around, this album was like the biggest thing in the world when i was a senior in high school)
brand new - god and the devil are raging inside of me, but really all their albums prior to daisy. check the top comment on this video for someone's list that looks a lot like yours, lol
panic! at the disco - a fever you can't sweat out
coheed and cambria - second stage turbine blade (in case you don't know about them, later albums are way proggier but this first one fits more in this genre)
la dispute - somewhere at the bottom of the river between vega and altair

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What about good ol’ green album/maladroit weezer? That’s the right time period

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Looking for newer stuff inspired by melodramatic, atmospheric stuff from the 90s like the Sneaker Pimps. I dunno if it's trip hop or trip pop exactly.

I particularly like their Bloodsport album, which I understand wasn't as lauded as their previous work.

https://open.spotify.com/track/31l2Bw3HHiyRbEVByjLVwB?si=cYFQgZpOTQ2grEFI7U5FSA&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Just an FYI, the lead singer of Brand New was accused of sexual harassment and child grooming, he didn't outright admit to any of it, but released a statement saying he'd done bad and didn't refute anything either; also given the content of a bunch of his lyrics :yikeseroo: