Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zurtilik posted:

While I'm leveling to 50 for Heavensward (I skipped ARR on this character since I've done most of it before). Is there anything I should do to prepare for Heavensward? Is vendor, class quest and loose dungeon gear good enough to start off in Heavensward or is there something I should be side farming for?

When you get dumped out in Mor Dhona you'll probably be surrounded by blue quests.

Pick them all up, you unlock stuff. In this case even the ones for a relic weapon grind start off by unlocking two different trials that a lot of people barely see, so they're worth doing.

Hildibrand is worth doing, stick with it.

Level 50 is also generally where a lot of optional dungeons pop up and they're all worth doing. They'll also grant you Tomestones of Poetics, which are a currency that can be spent to give you the good level 50 gear. Your main priority first with poetics is your weapon, anything else is secondary.
Doing all the level 50 dungeons for the first time will also give you an insane amount of poetics, enough to basically fully outfit a second class if you go through it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

I just looked up the pre-Heavensward quests and discovered I'm only halfway done :negative:

Can I do the later required trials / Crystal Tower right now? I only have a DPS spec caught up so queueing while working the MSQ would be real nice.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Bragon posted:

I just looked up the pre-Heavensward quests and discovered I'm only halfway done :negative:

Can I do the later required trials / Crystal Tower right now? I only have a DPS spec caught up so queueing while working the MSQ would be real nice.

You can start doing the Crystal Tower stuff right away, it starts with the 'Legacy of Allag' quest in Mor Dhona.

As mentioned above, I really recommend breaking up the MSQ with all the optional dungeons you've just unlocked, as well as Hildibrand. Trying to rush to Ishgard will just get you burned out.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

I just did the Haukke Mansion last night and it was the first dungeon/boss that I really, really was impressed with. Whole atmosphere going up to this dark, monolithic mansion under a stormy sky and battling demonic poo poo I've never seen as opposed "go to this cove and fight loving crabs" in the last 2 or 3 dungeons was really great; also the first time my party almost died once or twice with the amount of powerful enemies and new status fuckups introduced. Hopefully this is where these things pick up since the first few big fights were just alright, then there was the Ifrit fight and since then it's been pretty neat.

IMO, Haukke Mansion is supposed to be the "tutorial" for teaching players that they can interrupt enemy attacks, as the vast majority of status attacks in that dungeon can be avoided in that manner (even attacks from the bosses).

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That reminds me that that's an important newbie tip that's poorly explained:

Enemy abilities that tanks can use Interject to interrupt have this red flashing ability cast bar, instead of the regular orange one.

Most of the time it doesn't matter and you'll move out of the AoE or whatever anyway, but Interject is an ogcd so you might as well give it a shot and mess the enemy up so you can do a little extra damage.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Another little miscellanious tip, for people playing with a controller: System Configuration->Gamepad Settings has a setting where you can make your controller vibrate when whatever you're queuing for finds a group.

Great for if you're, for example, queueing as DPS and doing something else while waiting for the queue to pop.

IIRC, wasn't this feature specifically requested by deaf players would could not hear the queue ping?

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

bewilderment posted:

You can start doing the Crystal Tower stuff right away, it starts with the 'Legacy of Allag' quest in Mor Dhona.

As mentioned above, I really recommend breaking up the MSQ with all the optional dungeons you've just unlocked, as well as Hildibrand. Trying to rush to Ishgard will just get you burned out.

I did Hildibrand, which owned, but I really want to get to DRK so I'm moving forward! Good news on Crystal Tower but does that also apply for Ifrit / Garuda / Titan hard? I have them unlocked but I haven't had to do them, yet.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bragon posted:

I did Hildibrand, which owned, but I really want to get to DRK so I'm moving forward! Good news on Crystal Tower but does that also apply for Ifrit / Garuda / Titan hard? I have them unlocked but I haven't had to do them, yet.

Yeah, those work the same way, it just stops you dead and says "go do these three trials", so you can get them done ahead of time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pasha posted:

IIRC, wasn't this feature specifically requested by deaf players would could not hear the queue ping?

This game is great about deaf and hard of hearing accommodation. There's even a sound effect visualizer for boss fights with sounds cues.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The color blind options are amazing as well, and I can see this game very similarly to normal players apparently.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bragon posted:

Yeah I’m at 2.3 and am pushing MSQ hard with only mandatory stuff cause I want to try out AST and DRK. Then I’ll go back and clean up my quest/unlock mess. Got from end of ARR to 1/2 way through 2.3 in a session last night so it’s not too bad. There’s a couple good fights in there too.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

bewilderment posted:

That reminds me that that's an important newbie tip that's poorly explained:

Enemy abilities that tanks can use Interject to interrupt have this red flashing ability cast bar, instead of the regular orange one.

Most of the time it doesn't matter and you'll move out of the AoE or whatever anyway, but Interject is an ogcd so you might as well give it a shot and mess the enemy up so you can do a little extra damage.

!!! I have been playing this game since 1.0 and I did not know this ...

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I’m at 2.3 and am pushing MSQ hard with only mandatory stuff cause I want to try out AST and DRK. Then I’ll go back and clean up my quest/unlock mess. Got from end of ARR to 1/2 way through 2.3 in a session last night so it’s not too bad. There’s a couple good fights in there too.

I would have liked Ramuh a lot better if anybody had told the several sprouts how the Horrify mechanic works, or failing that run some lightning onto me, but otherwise yeah the instanced content owns so far. I sat in a 30 minute queue last night waiting for healers so that's a lot of my energy on wanting to get things done in advance right now comes from

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Pasha posted:

!!! I have been playing this game since 1.0 and I did not know this ...

It's okay, you just missed it in the patch notes for Stormblood(?) when they added the Interject ability to certain jobs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We've kind of always had interrupts in the sense that we had abilities that gave a small silence period that were basically only useful mid cast, but it's nice that it's actually mentioned now.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

We've kind of always had interrupts in the sense that we had abilities that gave a small silence period that were basically only useful mid cast, but it's nice that it's actually mentioned now.

its actually kind of wild, compared with WoW where interrupting caster enemies to force them to melee attack for a few seconds so you can reposition them is actually important and commonplace.

it would be cool if FF copied the death knight's deathgrip. Just being able to move something directly in front of you from wherever it was would be so nice, especially in that last level 80 4-man dungeon

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

A Moose posted:

its actually kind of wild, compared with WoW where interrupting caster enemies to force them to melee attack for a few seconds so you can reposition them is actually important and commonplace.

it would be cool if FF copied the death knight's deathgrip. Just being able to move something directly in front of you from wherever it was would be so nice, especially in that last level 80 4-man dungeon

It was important once upon a time in 14 as well but they phased out effects like that

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Warrior's Holmgang used to do that in PvE and it still does in PvP as the ultimate 'get their rear end' move.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Warrior's Holmgang used to do that in PvE and it still does in PvP as the ultimate 'get their rear end' move.

yeah but holmgang has a range of like 6 (formerly 3) yards. Death grip has like 20 yard range

edit: 30 yards!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kwyndig posted:

It's okay, you just missed it in the patch notes for Stormblood(?) when they added the Interject ability to certain jobs.

Even more recent than that, it was Shadowbringers.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Hey all, I just got to level 50 and open palm slam class-switched over to Red Mage. I'm following some of the job quests for them now, but have a couple questions (and am going to bed for the night anyway!)

1.) It looks like the RDM rotation is all about building up the burst damage, is that right? So you'd ideally go Black Magic->White Magic alternating until they hit ~90, do your melee skills, then switch back to casting?

2.) I haven't finished the main storyline quest (that I think is ARR?) yet, or all the blue quests in the starting areas (mostly new ones since level 38 or so that I just haven't gotten around to), is there anyway I can make sure I don't accidentallyt start the expansion stories too soon? Or do I not really need to worry about that?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

RDM is pretty simple, yeah. Keep your black and white mana reasonably balanced and do the melee combo and you're pretty golden.

The expansion stories are part of the main storyline quests. When it sends you to a new area that you haven't been to at level 50/60/70, you will be entering a new expansion story. You have to complete the entirety of the past expansion's MSQ to go into the new expacs, so don't worry about that.

As for blue quests, I would not reccomend completing every single blue quest before continuing. 'Every single blue quest' includes Extreme trials and Savage raids which were originally intended to be endgame content, as well as basic 'unlock levequests here' quests that can safely be ignored. If you want to do old Extremes and Savage, go ahead, but don't feel like you need to.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lady Radia posted:

Hey all, I just got to level 50 and open palm slam class-switched over to Red Mage. I'm following some of the job quests for them now, but have a couple questions (and am going to bed for the night anyway!)

1.) It looks like the RDM rotation is all about building up the burst damage, is that right? So you'd ideally go Black Magic->White Magic alternating until they hit ~90, do your melee skills, then switch back to casting?

2.) I haven't finished the main storyline quest (that I think is ARR?) yet, or all the blue quests in the starting areas (mostly new ones since level 38 or so that I just haven't gotten around to), is there anyway I can make sure I don't accidentallyt start the expansion stories too soon? Or do I not really need to worry about that?

1) That's mostly it, but just to be sure you notice: the direct black and white spells have a really long cast time, about double the normal. Red mages have a special quirk where every other spell they cast is instant-cast, so what you do is alternate between your neutral spell (jolt) and your mana-generators. So you go jolt-verthunder-jolt-veraero, like that. Their AOEs work the opposite way, the black and white spells are the short ones while the neutral one is long, but does more damage.

2) You don't need to worry about it. You cannot enter expansion zones or accept any expansion quests before getting there in the MSQ. The only exceptions are job quests, like red mage and samurai.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Sorry if this is posted somewhere but is there a goon guild/FC/whatever in FFXIV USA?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Taima posted:

Sorry if this is posted somewhere but is there a goon guild/FC/whatever in FFXIV USA?

There are, in fact, multiple.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thank you!! ^_^

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Hellioning posted:

RDM is pretty simple, yeah. Keep your black and white mana reasonably balanced and do the melee combo and you're pretty golden.

The expansion stories are part of the main storyline quests. When it sends you to a new area that you haven't been to at level 50/60/70, you will be entering a new expansion story. You have to complete the entirety of the past expansion's MSQ to go into the new expacs, so don't worry about that.

As for blue quests, I would not reccomend completing every single blue quest before continuing. 'Every single blue quest' includes Extreme trials and Savage raids which were originally intended to be endgame content, as well as basic 'unlock levequests here' quests that can safely be ignored. If you want to do old Extremes and Savage, go ahead, but don't feel like you need to.

Begemot posted:

1) That's mostly it, but just to be sure you notice: the direct black and white spells have a really long cast time, about double the normal. Red mages have a special quirk where every other spell they cast is instant-cast, so what you do is alternate between your neutral spell (jolt) and your mana-generators. So you go jolt-verthunder-jolt-veraero, like that. Their AOEs work the opposite way, the black and white spells are the short ones while the neutral one is long, but does more damage.

2) You don't need to worry about it. You cannot enter expansion zones or accept any expansion quests before getting there in the MSQ. The only exceptions are job quests, like red mage and samurai.

Thanks! Good to know what I can plan on and expect moving forward. It took awhile for this game to get going, but once it did I was hooked.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
It will be extremely obvious when you reach the end of an expansion because they put a big in-game credits sequence at the end of the x.0 quests and again at the end of the x.5 patch quests. Reaching the end of an expansion is a big event like the end of an rpg and it's really nice the way they do it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also you’re probably crying

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Super No Vacancy posted:

also you’re probably crying

And then you watch the trailer for the next expansion and you're hyped again.

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

:shepface::shepface::shepface:
Just a head's-up, as of this post, Square Enix seems to be running a promo on their web store for the Complete Edition of the game. You get all expansions, except the newly announced one and 30 days of game time.

EU Store - 16 Euros.
https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/product/565219/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download

NA Store - $23.99
https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/564956/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download

A few FFXIV lingo things that's not in-game stuff, that I might as well add.

MOG Station: Account management
Lodestone: Community page, character/Free Company lookup, character 'blogs' and such.

Happy Dolphin fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 3, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Happy Dolphin posted:

Just a head's-up, as of this post, Square Enix seems to be running a promo on their web store for the Complete Edition of the game. You get all expansions, except the newly announced one and 30 days of game time.

EU Store - 16 Euros.
https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/product/565219/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download

NA Store - $23.99
https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/564956/final-fantasy-xiv-online-complete-edition-pc-download

A few FFXIV lingo things that's not in-game stuff, that I might as well add.

MOG Station: Account management
Lodestone: Community page, character/Free Company lookup, character 'blogs' and such.

And if your base game is on Steam, you're just hosed and not allowed to have this sweet deal

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Happy Dolphin posted:

EU Store - 16 Euros.

NA Store - $23.99

Just picked this up! But, it didn’t automatically add to my account and the code is not in a format that the “Redeem Code” section accepts. Nothing similar that o could find on their support center soooo email support it is!

Fake edit: Holy shot the account management and support contact pages are so terrible.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Doom Rooster posted:

Just picked this up! But, it didn’t automatically add to my account and the code is not in a format that the “Redeem Code” section accepts. Nothing similar that o could find on their support center soooo email support it is!

Fake edit: Holy shot the account management and support contact pages are so terrible.

Are you another spurned Steam player?

A classic.

I did the same thing way back when Heavensward was on sale.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 3, 2021

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Is it normal to roll Greed on all dungeon loot? I'm usually in too much of a hurry to check loot for upgrades while in the middle of dungeons.

Also last night our tank in Haukke Manor mentioned he couldn't roll need for a necklace that he thought was an upgrade for him. Is the Need option only available for items you can equip? We were all new and didn't know the loot system very well.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Aades posted:

Is it normal to roll Greed on all dungeon loot? I'm usually in too much of a hurry to check loot for upgrades while in the middle of dungeons.

Also last night our tank in Haukke Manor mentioned he couldn't roll need for a necklace that he thought was an upgrade for him. Is the Need option only available for items you can equip? We were all new and didn't know the loot system very well.

Greeding is fine. Though to be honest most of the equipment sells for pretty insignificant amounts. Like even in the level 30 dungeons the pieces are only selling for like 20 gil.

You should definitely feel free to greed if you plan to level an alt class that can use it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Zurtilik posted:

Are you another spurned Steam player?

A classic.

I did the same thing way back when Heavensward was on sale.

Nope. Free trial player signed up directly through the Square site.

Aades posted:

I’ve had 3 items drop that were major upgrades, listed as “All Classes” and not above my level that I couldn’t roll need on. They were all the pink aetherial items. There have been plenty of those that have dropped that I was able to roll need on, so I don’t know wtf.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Need on everything you can, greed on everything else. Anything you don't use can be desynthed or traded for seals or stored in your glamour chest for glamour.

edit: 'all classes' in ARR is a bit of a misnomer - any accessory can be equipped by any class (and a lot of early DoM gear is 'all classes' too) - but you only get to need on the ones that give stat boosts that your class specifically can use - STR for melee guys, INT for magic, etc.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, a few questions after plonking around a bit this morning.

I've got my CNJ up to 10, but I've noticed when I've got my chocobo out that my target doesn't seem to stay locked. Like I will target the enemy, but the second I cast a spell it will lose my target and I'll have to reselect it, which is... Annoying to say the least. I'm using a controller if that matters. Any idea?

Also, it looks like my armor bags are almost entirely full, and probably with junk. Nonetheless how can I sus through it and get rid of stuff I don't need. Is there a specific mark that lets me know it's part of a set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You're soft targeting, try pressing X before you cast the spell.