Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
If you always wanted "I win" button the console was there since the release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I have not played Anbennar but basically the issue with Leviathan is that Concentrate Development isn't just strong, it's so incredibly strong that not using it in every single territory you gain is intentionally handicapping yourself. It should be a trade off, except the power of the dev meta, it making it cheaper to core and the value of concentrating as much dev in as few provinces as possible makes it just always the right decision even if you lose like 10 dev doing it.

currying favors are also broken, but in a way that advantages smaller countries more so it's more of a "this is really nice in the early game in games where you need to rely on a big AI ally than something you literally always do every time you get the chance to, so it's less of an issue.

monuments are cool but almost always fall into 4 categories:

literally useless because basically no one can actually use them

figuratively useless because they give such lovely bonuses that no one would spend the money/manpower upgrading them

get them to level 1 and then completely ignore them until you're too rich to not waste thousands of ducats

or so strong that not rushing them first thing is effectively playing on hard mode (and at least for most cultures/religions they've managed to nerf most of these to a lower zone)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I also hadn’t heard of Anbennar until this week and gave it a shot, and yeah it reminded me that EU4 rules

Only played about five years so far but it’s been fun, I conquered a neighbouring gnoll kingdom and have my eyes set on the other gnoll countries across the seaway in order to end their coastal raids. Having to internalize a fuckload of new nation, area, and culture names has been daunting, but the mod’s EU4ness is inescapable, and makes it a little easier to translate some things: I’ll notice a familiar mechanic and instantly recognize, “Oh, this continent is Fantasy HRE”. I purposefully picked a seemingly-generic human kingdom in a seemingly-western-European part of the map to ease into things, and it’s worked out so far

Gonna spend a lot more time here I think

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

TheFlyingLlama posted:

or so strong that not rushing them first thing is effectively playing on hard mode (and at least for most cultures/religions they've managed to nerf most of these to a lower zone)

Which ones are in this category and what bonuses do they give?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

currying favors are also broken, but in a way that advantages smaller countries more so it's more of a "this is really nice in the early game in games where you need to rely on a big AI ally than something you literally always do every time you get the chance to, so it's less of an issue.

I'm not sure I'd call them broken, since the previous answer for starts asking "how do I get an ally to do an offensive war at the beginning" was more or less "disable the Cossacks DLC for the run".

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Tahirovic posted:

Which ones are in this category and what bonuses do they give?

ATM I'd personally say Alhambra for christians/muslims with 5% admin efficiency at lvl 3, something that is otherwise locked late in mission trees, tech or absolutism, The Grand Palace of Bangkok with 1% yearly absolutism, Governing capacity and Aggressive expansion impact for all cultures/religions at level 3, and Prambanam temple for dharmic religions with 10% dev cost at level 3.

most everything else is either useful but limited to specific religion/culture or not strong enough to focus heavily early. (although I've seen arguments for Murud-Janjira fort, Mesa verde, bagan temples and maybe baku ateshgah if you're playing zoroastrian for whatever reason)

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I have not played Anbennar but basically the issue with Leviathan is that Concentrate Development isn't just strong, it's so incredibly strong that not using it in every single territory you gain is intentionally handicapping yourself. It should be a trade off, except the power of the dev meta, it making it cheaper to core and the value of concentrating as much dev in as few provinces as possible makes it just always the right decision even if you lose like 10 dev doing it.

The tradeoff with Concentrate Dev is you can't culture flip when your capital region has like 400 dev.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Someone did a monument Tier List:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP4DOEnsQoY

Sakoku update:
Man my strategy is kind of boring. Just waiting on speed 5, keeping an eye on ym Daimyos in case one spawns a 3* General, trying to stay on stop without forming japan. I decided to start colonizing to have something to do while waiting for more Shinto events to fire.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

TheFlyingLlama posted:

ATM I'd personally say Alhambra for christians/muslims with 5% admin efficiency at lvl 3, something that is otherwise locked late in mission trees, tech or absolutism, The Grand Palace of Bangkok with 1% yearly absolutism, Governing capacity and Aggressive expansion impact for all cultures/religions at level 3, and Prambanam temple for dharmic religions with 10% dev cost at level 3.

most everything else is either useful but limited to specific religion/culture or not strong enough to focus heavily early. (although I've seen arguments for Murud-Janjira fort, Mesa verde, bagan temples and maybe baku ateshgah if you're playing zoroastrian for whatever reason)

Aside from those ones, the ones that give +1 missionaries and +missionary strength are good, most religions have one. You're essentially paying a few thousand ducats to avoid having to take religious ideas, which is usually a really good tradeoff. The tech cost discount ones are also very good.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

The tradeoff with Concentrate Dev is you can't culture flip when your capital region has like 400 dev.

a tradeoff that closes off an option you will rarely ever want to use unless you have a specific strategy in mind from the beginning

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'd take religious ideas even if it were six malusii and deus vult

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Tried Anbennar. It's cool. Nice to see devs who resist kitchensink mentality. You don't have to reinvent every mechanic for a game to work. I've started as a recommended Wood Elf country and they have their own isolated conflict with a bunch of goblins and orcs. But for now I'm not sure what happens when you beat all the monster races. All of the elves are locked into an alliance that is hard to break. I've snatched some land beyond my ancestral lands and it lowered people's trust a lot. Can't imagine trying to fight any of the other elven powers and I don't see where else to expand. I can move through those tunnel provinces but I can't core through them. At least I think so.

Feels like a region that is more interesting when you aren't playing it. Strange it's a recommended one. I'm probably missing something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Its not one of the recommended starting nations iirc, did you change the ‘era’ in the top left? That just switches you to different regions and highlights the nations there. I remember picking from a forum post

Its true though some nations are just shorter plays with little to do once done. Some nations have gigantic trees and some just have short regional goals.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ilitarist posted:

Tried Anbennar. It's cool. Nice to see devs who resist kitchensink mentality. You don't have to reinvent every mechanic for a game to work. I've started as a recommended Wood Elf country and they have their own isolated conflict with a bunch of goblins and orcs. But for now I'm not sure what happens when you beat all the monster races. All of the elves are locked into an alliance that is hard to break. I've snatched some land beyond my ancestral lands and it lowered people's trust a lot. Can't imagine trying to fight any of the other elven powers and I don't see where else to expand. I can move through those tunnel provinces but I can't core through them. At least I think so.

Feels like a region that is more interesting when you aren't playing it. Strange it's a recommended one. I'm probably missing something.

There’s recommended starts for every major region, you got one of the ones for the elf forest. You should be able to core through the tunnel provinces. There’s also various provinces in the woods that link to provinces they aren’t adjacent to, which you should be able to core through too. I’m not sure if there’s a way to see where they are though, it might be on the province screen where it shows rivers? Uniting the forest should be pretty doable for an experienced EU4 player

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

THE BAR posted:

If you roll back to version, what, 1.29.6, then the game's probably at its best, and won't change if you never let it patch after that.

Whether any (good) changes will come in the future, no one can say, but the last DLC was particularly grim.

PittTheElder posted:

Now is a great time to jump in, assuming you download either M&T or Voltaire's Nightmare.

Thanks! Will jump in it in a pre DLC setting then and afterwards mod

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's me, the lone Leviathan fan, who like sit because it's a broken mess.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm having a good time

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

There’s recommended starts for every major region, you got one of the ones for the elf forest. You should be able to core through the tunnel provinces. There’s also various provinces in the woods that link to provinces they aren’t adjacent to, which you should be able to core through too. I’m not sure if there’s a way to see where they are though, it might be on the province screen where it shows rivers? Uniting the forest should be pretty doable for an experienced EU4 player

It's not just a recommended start, it was labeled "recommended for new players".

Anyway yeah, I can fabricate claims on some of those tunnel provinces. But I have to click them one by one and see if Fabricate Claim button says it's not adjacent. Vassalizing faraway monster factions doesn't work so well cause they have huge opinion malus from their evilness, plus I'm probably expelling their brethren in some of my provinces.

So I mostly wait for something to untie this elven alliance knot.

I was probably unlucky choosing a region with huge map readability issues. But other than that the mod only irritates me with some leftover vanilla labels, like many tooltip about Fey court call it Legalism and Mysticism.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 3, 2021

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

ilitarist posted:

It's not just a recommended start, it was labeled "recommended for new players".

Anyway yeah, I can fabricate claims on some of those tunnel provinces. But I have to click them one by one and see if Fabricate Claim button says it's not adjacent. Vassalizing faraway monster factions doesn't work so well cause they have huge opinion malus from their evilness, plus I'm probably expelling their brethren in some of my provinces.

So I mostly wait for something to untie this elven alliance knot.

I was probably unlucky choosing a region with huge map readability issues. But other than that the mod only irritates me with some leftover vanilla labels, like many tooltip about Fey court call it Legalism and Mysticism.

Yeah that area is kinda weird, I tried those elves for like 5 minutes once and was like nah not for me.

Good fun countries to play:

-Frozenmaw: Huge mission tree and lots of fighting
-Jaddari: Juiced up horde that eventually turns into super-Mughals
-Anyone in Bulwar (the area right south of your current start)
-Centaurs (Maybe, I haven't tried them in the new patch. Last patch they were still a bit of a WIP but the idea was fun)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
anbie is v fun, some mission trees are vastly better then others tho. Magic-pope's are kind of dull despite what's actually going on, but some can transform you into crazy stuff... like going from barbaric pirates to giant robot wielding tech wizards.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
keep calm and love the Jadd.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm just waiting for Third Odyssey to finally update, so that I can gently caress off to America Elysia and create a badass multicultural Greek empire with my viking pals.

Might give Anbennar a look now that it's less barebones.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Leviathan's badness is overrated, especially now. That's not to say I recommend buying it if you didn't, but the game is perfectly fine atm.

Also the nerd rage and hilarious poo poo was worth the cartoonishly bad launch. "Gain a level 2 centre of trade in every owned province" halfway down the fiji mission tree. Cmon. It ruled.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The First Nation mega cities.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
all of this sounds like it owned bones.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

karmicknight posted:

all of this sounds like it owned bones.

The +100% missionary strength idea was my personal favorite

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

The First Nation mega cities.

That's still a thing. Getting a 1000-dev capital isn't even very hard. You just have to do a lot of reform switching.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
But dad, you don't have to play as megalopolis Beothuk-

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

And stateless societies having bonuses from going over their 0 Governing Capacity.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

And stateless societies having bonuses from going over their 0 Governing Capacity.

:sickos:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Going through this Megathread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/mzxbmv/megathread_leviathan_bug_reports/

Building the Kiel canal in Savoy in 1444 for 0 gold...
The super Milanese Dictators with like 60/10000/675 stats...
And more!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Firebatgyro posted:

I'm doing a Corvuria run and its pretty fun as well. I hope they add more to the vampire spreading thing because its a cool idea but all it does right now is give you relations which isn't all that useful.

You get a permanent +160 opinion with everyone in the Blood Court. I think it's bugged and supposed to be 80, but 160 is extremely useful. Once you spread it to everyone you can go absolutely ham on AE and nobody cares because they're still positive.

It's made espionage ideas actually good imo

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Leviathan's badness is overrated, especially now. That's not to say I recommend buying it if you didn't, but the game is perfectly fine atm.

Also the nerd rage and hilarious poo poo was worth the cartoonishly bad launch. "Gain a level 2 centre of trade in every owned province" halfway down the fiji mission tree. Cmon. It ruled.

What is it with goons and pretending to like that games stop being functional is a good thing.

It's a paid service, it's perfectly fine and rational that people get upset that the service they're paying for, that worked for years, suddenly turns into poo poo, even if you don't play for the new DLC.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think it's a reaction to the idea that devs do everything in the name of Balance, and the Balance is all about making everything boring.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
When Emperor came out that was just as broken. Though vassal swarms were more interesting than my capital is really big I guess.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 4, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Box wine posted:

When Emperor came out that was just as broken. Though vassal swarms were more interesting than my capital is really big I guess.

Nah, man. Emperor had some busted parts to it, but it was nowhere near as bad as Leviathan's launch state. Leviathan was probably the most broken paradox launch in the 3D era, no joke.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mans posted:

What is it with goons and pretending to like that games stop being functional is a good thing.

It's a paid service, it's perfectly fine and rational that people get upset that the service they're paying for, that worked for years, suddenly turns into poo poo, even if you don't play for the new DLC.

I mean, I said don't buy it. It's not good but it's not unplayable. Particularly in the era of steam workshop where it takes like five minutes to download a million mods.

now don't get me started on mods breaking cheevos, an extremely dumb decision

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

emperor had some bugs but nothing that actually stopped the playing of the game like leviathan's delete every country in the world. i finished an emperor game launch week without any gamebreaking issues

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Davincie posted:

emperor had some bugs but nothing that actually stopped the playing of the game like leviathan's delete every country in the world. i finished an emperor game launch week without any gamebreaking issues

The most broken thing in Emperor at release was how almost everyone and their dog would join the HRE for free, so as Austria you could revoke the privilegia in 1470 or something without even trying hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think the most broken thing was the game corrupting your save files:

Groke posted:

Meh, got the dreaded savefile-corrupting bug. Which it turns out even can corrupt fresh copies of savefiles from entirely different games, just from looking at them in the load game interface. After restarting the game and copying the saves from a different folder.

I guess you can't savescum if the game destroys all your savefiles... Not dealing with this poo poo, rolling back to 1.30.6 until whenever.