Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

They really didn't think the design through for this toy....

New ghostbusters ghost trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They really didn't think the design through for this toy....

New ghostbusters ghost trap.

Is this that dick in a box thing I heard about years ago

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Ectogasm

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The school I used to work for, a small charter middle/high school with ~200 students, did some sort of tobacco awareness grant program, from which we got some grant money (promptly spent on other poo poo, I assume) and various instructional materials (anti-smoking posters and stuff). And so one day, I get a text from one of the administrators that some science-adjacent stuff has arrived, and she has no idea what it is, and can I take a look?

There's a bunch of boxes, and I inventory it, and we've got twelve complete kits for this demo, as if you're going to give one to every two or three kids in a standard size class (we did not have standard size classes). as if we would ever let the students touch the lungs, and not just do, like, one demo done by the teacher.

So I text her back and say, "we've got twenty-four sheep's lungs," and me and the other guy who was helping me look through it got a hearty laugh at her reaction. Fun times. Never had to do the demo, fortunately; the pandemic happened soon after.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In biology we got to flick bits of eye and kidney at people, smh if you don't let people touch the lungs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yeah what I went to a massive public school and even I got to cut up various organs in biology

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

At my public high school we dissected a pig fetus. The AP bio students dissected cats.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Alterian posted:

At my public high school we dissected a pig fetus. The AP bio students dissected cats.

We had a student who, during the fetal pig dissection, on his own, decided to attempt to remove the vertebrae while leaving the spinal cord intact. He apparently succeeded and last I heard he went on to become a surgeon. Cool poo poo imo

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/michaelcdeibert/status/1422182715546296321?s=20

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Alterian posted:

We were underfunded so the bio teacher got the son of the local butcher to bring in a bucket of cows eyes for us to disect. He also brought a whole skinless cows head which he put on the edge of the table, crouched down and used his thumb to move the eye from the inside so it looked like the cow was following you around the room with it's eye.

yaffle has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Aug 3, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alterian posted:

Hmm in my school it was AP Bio that got the fetal pig and Physiology that got the cats

The trash barrel of horrifying dead cats in the back of the room really hosed with everyone else who used that lab. I remember someone sending a girl to peek inside and she screamed one of the most horrible screams I've ever heard still to this day like 25 years later

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My dad was a surgeon & when I was 12 he took me & my sister to watch him perform surgery. We got all cleaned up, put on scrubs, and met him inside the OR. The patient was a 46 year-old woman who needed her lung removed from excessive smoking. Watching that black tarred flesh writhing while being assisted in breathing was :barf: and I had to bail.

For lunch Dad took us out for barbecue ribs. :gonk:

Needless to say I don't smoke. Oddly enough though I still enjoy eating barbecue ribs.

R.E. high school dissections: we were lucky to get the whole 9 yards in AP biology. We got sheep eyes & hearts, but the big winner were the pig fetuses. Me & my lab partner got a stillborn pig so it was quite the chonker. We took out its intestines & used it as a jump rope. :v:

Have an unrelated funny picture:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
We never dissected in high school but the chem teacher brought in a deers eye to drop into a beaker of acid.

Everyone wore their safety goggles in that class.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They made my class dissect a giant bug

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
In fifth grade I had to dissect a chicken thigh for some reason and also we weren't allowed knives so we just had to use little sticks and kind of pull it apart, it was loving vile.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Android Apocalypse posted:

My dad was a surgeon & when I was 12 he took me & my sister to watch him perform surgery. We got all cleaned up, put on scrubs, and met him inside the OR. The patient was a 46 year-old woman who needed her lung removed from excessive smoking. Watching that black tarred flesh writhing while being assisted in breathing was :barf: and I had to bail.

For lunch Dad took us out for barbecue ribs. :gonk:

Hahha, your dad kicks rear end.

My school was weird. We dissected cow eyes and squids.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Poor school checking in. Dissected worms and we had to pay for the worms. Our parents had to "sign off" on the dissection and include 5 bucks or whatever for worms. Didn't get it signed so I got to watch my classmates dissect a worm. I'm fine with the outcome.

E:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Reading the thread title to the tune of that lovely Charlie Daniels song that was so popular in the area where I live that I couldn't avoid it growing up.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

*dissection chat* 🤮

Thank god I got kicked out before I had to do that

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

*dissection chat* 🤮

Yeah, we should cut it out.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

So I text her back and say, "we've got twenty-four sheep's lungs," and me and the other guy who was helping me look through it got a hearty laugh at her reaction. Fun times. Never had to do the demo, fortunately; the pandemic happened soon after.

You should have given them to the Home Ec class to make haggis.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There it is again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The dissection wasn't really very informative other than kidneys smell like piss, which i could have told you from eating them.

Oh and getting the eyes out of a fish is really difficult, almost like they're designed to stay in there.

But flicking bits of the offal at each other was very good, very bonding. One of them shared trauma events.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Velocity Raptor posted:

Yeah, we should cut it out.

... wait a minute. Was that a fuckin cancer joke

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

We dissected huge earthworms in our high school bio class, then starfish, crayfish, and a shark. The frog was an optional thing, I opted out. We did the sharks in open air at the city park, and it still reeked of fish liver and formaldehyde.

In college we did fetal pigs in bio 101, and I taught labs where students dissected pigs, cats, mud puppies, lampreys, and sharks. Then there was the one semester I taught a lab with human cadaver dissection.

I’m over all of it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The dissection frenzy in USian schools is quite weird to me.

Elementary school did have a cool collection of animal skeletons and taxidermied foxes, beavers, squirrels, etc. and in junior high we made tar in chemistry.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We looked at mouse bones inside owl poop in elementary school but all dissections were held off until high school biology, which was elective, so I never took it. Requiring dissections seems wild to me

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Killingyouguy! posted:

We looked at mouse bones inside owl poop in elementary school but all dissections were held off until high school biology, which was elective, so I never took it. Requiring dissections seems wild to me

same we also did owl pellets. altho iirc they're not actually poop, more like puke

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

doverhog posted:

Frenzy, lol. Like kids are cutting up animals every darn day.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
My class dissected fish. But when the teacher collected them that morning from the fishery they apparently weren't paying much attention.
Warm water fish tossed into an ice chest will go into shock.
They will come out of that shock when warming up on a table. Under the hands and knives of students.
Students will scream when they suddenly realize their dissection is now a vivisection.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Frenzy, lol. Like kids are cutting up animals every darn day.

...Were you not?

You missed out buddy, I can have a frog down to its component bits in seconds.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rysithusiku posted:

Under the hands and knives of students.
Students will scream when they suddenly realize their dissection is now a vivisection.

poo poo, think how the fish must’ve felt about it

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Schools too cheap to buy that appliance that will turn a mouse into slurry in 3 seconds SMDH.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Thaddius the Large posted:

poo poo, think how the fish must’ve felt about it

.....really dry?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

doverhog posted:

Elementary school did have a cool collection of animal skeletons and taxidermied foxes, beavers, squirrels, etc. and in junior high we made tar in chemistry.

I've known more than one person who got into medicine or academic bio because of the "loving awesome :haw: " moment cutting up a frog or a worm or something.

It's a neat thing that can kickstart a real love for a subject in someone who might not have found that if they weren't exposed to it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Schools too cheap to buy that appliance that will turn a mouse into slurry in 3 seconds SMDH.

My school had a microwave

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've known more than one person who got into medicine or academic bio because of the "loving awesome :haw: " moment cutting up a frog or a worm or something.

It's a neat thing that can kickstart a real love for a subject in someone who might not have found that if they weren't exposed to it.

I'm not opposed to it, just isn't something they do in Finland.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In first world countries they basically say "oh this kid loves music and hates science and language" and instead of grinding them to paste with a standard curriculum that kid gets intense music training.

In America we just go shotgun pattern and have everyone dig around in frog guts and pathetically attempt to play recorders and suffer through calculus then it's the colleges' jobs to sort them into music and medicine and math, 10 years too late.

That's why Japan and Denmark and so on have a disproportionate number of surgeons and engineers and concert cellists while America has like 5 people that went to public schools and became noteworthy for something besides sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It makes sense to have people try more than one thing because we need like zero professional sporpsists or musicians. Maybe someone'll get into chem and get known as that cool dude who plays the clarinet at his lab's wine and cheeses