Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Guest2553 posted:

Any goon recommendations on primers to use with GW contrasts that don't cost $20/can? I'd rather use the matte white rustoleum I have on hand if it won't cause cataclysm.

Get the cheapest white matt spray can you can find. I could recommend a brand, but I'm UK based and only ever buy the cheapest white matt I can find. Shake the can for 5 minutes. Fill a sink with hot water. Float the can in hot water for 5 minutes.

Give it another shake for a minute or two. It makes the cheapest spraycans work very well at laying down perfect paint in thin layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I need some tree's for wargames (historical, European) and Rangers of Shadowdeep/Oathmark. What companies make nice 28mm scale trees?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I would unironically play a game that forces players to play out an attrition campaign for half an hour before putting models on the board.

Local goon seen wanting to play AK-47 Republic :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

Local goon seen wanting to play Blücher :v:

Fixed that for you. :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I am getting into Bolt Action. I have lots of Soviet models, mostly painted. I am painting a bunch of infantry and weapons teams right now. I am not a good painter but I am happy with my Officer:

Does anyone have a good shop for battle mats in the US? I am going to make a board for my garage but at this point I'd rather use a battle mat than flock a whole board.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

alg posted:

I am getting into Bolt Action. I have lots of Soviet models, mostly painted. I am painting a bunch of infantry and weapons teams right now. I am not a good painter but I am happy with my Officer:

Does anyone have a good shop for battle mats in the US? I am going to make a board for my garage but at this point I'd rather use a battle mat than flock a whole board.

Tablewar makes great mats. They have sales all the time so wait for one to get like 20% off.

https://tablewar.com/collections/fatmats

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Cigar box battle mats has some great stuff too. It's a pity they don't have EU distribution.

Comstar, check out model rail trees, Heki, Noch have diverse ranges in various sizes. I use trees in the 7-12 inch range, as they're of decent height and look the part.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I know a lot of people are getting into O Group and that a lot of people ITT are Chain of Command players, but can anyone tell me if Too Fat Lardies’ other WW2 Ruleset ‘I Ain’t Been Shot Mum’ is worth getting into? I’ve got a bunch of Flames of War kit that would suit a company level game like that.

Endman fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 23, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Has any collected/painted anything from the War of 1812? I moved to the Niagara area and would love to collect something.

I think I'd prefer 10 or 15mm for myself if anyone has recommendations but would love to see anyone's collection!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The Soviets are slowly but surely taking over my work desk. The tiny Frenchmen have been relegated to the hole in the protractor.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Six months ago finding historical STL files for anything that wasn't a WW2 tank was nearly impossible.

Now there are two equally tempting Napoleonic artillery packs on offer:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/napoleonic-stl-files/french-foot-and-horse-artillery/description
https://store.regimientosdeamerica.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_17_19_20&products_id=20

Napoleonic experts, please help - if I can only afford one of these packs, which would be better?

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 26, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah the content is coming on super fast, and resin printers are dirt cheap. i'm never going back to hand casts/injection moulded

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
The second one has more detailed guns, but the crew looks kind of wonky. I'd go for the first one for those possible stretch goals.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

The second one has more detailed guns, but the crew looks kind of wonky. I'd go for the first one for those possible stretch goals.

Lol I thought the opposite. I don’t like the oversized shakos and disco pants. I have the Regementos AdC set, they look good in physical form.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I think the kickstarter is meant to be printed at either 15mm or 28mm so some of the features are exaggerated to ensure they'll print at either scale. I agree, I kind of like the other figures better, but it's more expensive and you don't get horse artillery figures but I'm not sure really how big of a deal that is.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

I think the kickstarter is meant to be printed at either 15mm or 28mm so some of the features are exaggerated to ensure they'll print at either scale. I agree, I kind of like the other figures better, but it's more expensive and you don't get horse artillery figures but I'm not sure really how big of a deal that is.

Basically you want horse artillery if you're doing a divisional size infantry army or a pure cavalry force. For example, in 1812, almost every division had one battery of line artillery and one of horse artillery, and then the entire corps would have an artillery reserve of line artillery. And then of course the various cavalry reserve corps would only have horse artillery. By 1812 you'd also have regimental artillery, with light guns, but line artillery miniatures will work for them as well. But you'd need a source for 3 pounders for the regular corps and 4 pounders for the guard, where captured Austrian or Prussian guns were the most common for the regular corps. ("Ask me why I have a gazillion Austrian guns in my French army").

So you'd often see just one battery involved in smaller encounters, where maybe just a few battalions are off doing something like guarding a pass, threatening a flank or chasing off a smaller detachment. But if the entire division is working together, such as during a bigger battle, you'd have both line and horse artillery involved. So you'll be fine with just line artillery if you're planning to have like, less than a dozen battallions or so squaring off.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 26, 2021

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Endman posted:

I know a lot of people are getting into O Group and that a lot of people ITT are Chain of Command players, but can anyone tell me if Too Fat Lardies’ other WW2 Ruleset ‘I Ain’t Been Shot Mum’ is worth getting into? I’ve got a bunch of Flames of War kit that would suit a company level game like that.
I'm primarily a CoC guy and have only played IABSM once, but I liked it. It's kind of like a cross between CoC and SP2. If you already have company-sized forces for WW2, it's absolutely worth getting into.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Ilor posted:

I'm primarily a CoC guy and have only played IABSM once, but I liked it. It's kind of like a cross between CoC and SP2. If you already have company-sized forces for WW2, it's absolutely worth getting into.

Awesome, I’ll keep it in mind :)

I haven’t bothered to base my infantry yet, so there’s potential for a lot of different games

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

CROSS-POST! It's been a productive month, got a 6 point Viking SAGA band done - now I just need to find opponents. :sigh:

OATH COMPLETE!

Also claiming OPPOSITES ATTRACT for these two figures:

(One is a Viking acting like a bear, the other is a bear acting like a Viking.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That warband looks amazing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Thanks! I've been focusing harder on color choices and I think it's paying off.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Excellent work on those!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Endman posted:

I haven’t bothered to base my infantry yet, so there’s potential for a lot of different games
Make/buy some sabot bases, then you don't have to choose!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Has any collected/painted anything from the War of 1812? I moved to the Niagara area and would love to collect something.

I think I'd prefer 10 or 15mm for myself if anyone has recommendations but would love to see anyone's collection!

It's 50 years after 1812 but god I wish someone I knew would give me an excuse to make a small Perry British Intervention Force... force.

I wore that uniform and shot that rifle, the models are so good and sexy, give me a reason, world.

And frankly I love the royal artillery outfit more than the classic redcoats too. The one period where I want to collect brits, and it's a fictional conflict.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 31, 2021

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What, like VBCW?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's 50 years after 1812 but god I wish someone I knew would give me an excuse to make a small Perry British Intervention Force... force.

I wore that uniform and shot that rifle, the models are so good and sexy, give me a reason, world.

And frankly I love the royal artillery outfit more than the classic redcoats too. The one period where I want to collect brits, and it's a fictional conflict.
Go colonise New Zealand or defend Canada?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone posted an old parody ad of a ridiculously overpowered GPU in the retrocomputer gaming thread.

quote:

not one, not two, but ALL FIVE of today's hottest chipsets -- and they're all jimmied together in some kind of nutty, five way, scanline-interleave boullabaisse. It shouldn't work... but it does.
For some reason I immediately thought of the Sherman Firefly engine :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

xthetenth posted:

all hail the multibank. King of the things that shouldn't work but do.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

out of curiosity, what historical system best represents Roman-era barbarian armies? I've got the ADLG rulebook and a lot of them are just undifferentiated masses of medium swordsmen, and I seem to remember FoG being similar

E: although I'm mostly thinking of migrations/fall of the empire stuff, the earlier stuff looks a little more interesting

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 3, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

If I remember correctly, Hail Caesar has some good stuff in it. But my friends and I stopped playing that in favour of ADLG and I can't recall why.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Picked up the D-Day US Sector book for Bolt Action and I’m very happy to see it has rules for Armoured Rifles. I kind of wanted to recreate a unit that was stationed in my local area and now I can! I guess I should put in an other for some halftracks. Got to figure out how many MGs to pack and if it’s worth shelling out slightly more for Rubicon M3s.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So I just become a victim of the algorithm. My wargame blog has been blocked/soon to be deleted because it was reported for violating PHISHING policy. The link i go to then tells me:

quote:

Blogger's spam-prevention robots have detected that your blog has characteristics of a spam blog. (What is a spam blog?) Since you are an actual person reading this, your blog is probably not a spam blog. Automated spam detection is inherently fuzzy and we sincerely apologise for this false positive.

We received your unlock request on XXXXXXXX. On behalf of the robots, we apologise for locking your non-spam blog. Please be patient while we take a look at your blog and verify that it is not spam.

My blog was killed by robots.

So...seeing as Google is going to kill my blog for being a human, whats a good platform to have a new blog on? One that does not require any HTML knowledge and I can have blackjack and hookers and not have my memories deleted by a Necron :(. Maybe one that can import my old posts too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Comstar posted:

So I just become a victim of the algorithm. My wargame blog has been blocked/soon to be deleted because it was reported for violating PHISHING policy. The link i go to then tells me:

My blog was killed by robots.

So...seeing as Google is going to kill my blog for being a human, whats a good platform to have a new blog on? One that does not require any HTML knowledge and I can have blackjack and hookers and not have my memories deleted by a Necron :(. Maybe one that can import my old posts too.

I use blogspot but I don't know if that's part of the Google group that almost killed your blog to begin with.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I use blogspot but I don't know if that's part of the Google group that almost killed your blog to begin with.

I'm pretty sure that's under blogger and Google?

Anyways, my blog got unlocked, for who knows how long. I still need a solution to getting off Google if there's a better way. I guess that would be Wordpress?

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 3, 2021

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Bung them all up on Medium

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I think that blogger as a whole ended up on the wrong list some time ago. I noticed that my blog had zero incoming traffic from Facebook around February 2019, that finally pushed me to buy a domain name, traffic came back.

If you don't want to spend money, medium is a good platform, I heard. I also moved some of my stuff directly to Facebook, it works fairly well for photos.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're not concerned about readership, Post My Favorites is basically SA's own blogging platform.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I finished my 7YW Russians. Despite the two month delay in shipping, I'm still a few weeks early. Let me know if I missed something absolutely terrible that should be corrected.

Thank you all so much for your help in navigating this strange world of tiny pewter men.

Leading the charge are supposed to be Valementov and Orlo, given the limitations of the scale I think I did alright.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

For my blog I use Weebly. I'm also testing Wordpress for my new website, and I'm not sure if it's just based on user experience, but I find Wordpress to be more frustrating than Weebly.

Heads up for a really nice looking Napoleonics kickstarter, both STL and metal casts. Würtemberg for roughly 1809-12:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pianowargames/the-price-of-crowns

Would make a nice SP2 force if nothing else

E: I'm quite tempted to get them just to make a SP2 force, and then convert more of my French to proper 36 man battalions for division sized games instead.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Full 1:1 battalions or bust