Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Chillyrabbit posted:

Is being able to ride a bike one of those rich people things, like swimming? I know I learned to ride a bike as a kid and obviously was fortunate enough to have a bike too. But did poor people not learn because it had a high barrier of entry to purchase a bike?

Definitely not. It's often the only way for a lot of people to get around without a car, and the bike co-op I volunteered at in the poorest part of the city always had lines around the block to fix things up for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A lot of the year round cyclists in Winnipeg aren't die hard athletic types, they're the people that work odd ours in locations that are underserved by transit and basically ride their lovely walmart mountain bike in the dead of winter while wearing work boots and jeans because if they don't do that every day they starve.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Bikes are great and anything we can do to get more people on them, the better.

I had to move a scooter out of the road to park the other day in Ottawa and it started telling me that I shouldn't touch it and to call some number if it was in the wrong place. The warning was pretty long and loud, so I can imagine having that get set off at odd hours in quiet neighborhoods would be pretty annoying

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Here in Toronto the city owns the bikeshare network after the private company that started it went bust. They've been expanding it like crazy every year and they've started adding electric assist bikes to the network this year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MNIMWA posted:

I had to move a scooter out of the road to park the other day in Ottawa and it started telling me that I shouldn't touch it and to call some number if it was in the wrong place. The warning was pretty long and loud, so I can imagine having that get set off at odd hours in quiet neighborhoods would be pretty annoying

If it makes a disturbance, bash it good, until it stops.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hey why cant I get a bike with 4 wheels or 3 like that car from mr. bean for less than the price of a used panel van

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MNIMWA posted:

You know that video where the guy squashes an entire bin full of those rubber chickens that make a honk sound as they refill with air?

Do that, but with like, 50 scooters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

You know that video where the guy squashes an entire bin full of those rubber chickens that make a honk sound as they refill with air?

Thank you for reminding me that video exists.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Thank you for reminding me that video exists.

From that, I give you this https://imgur.com/a/NdvsJiu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:kiss:

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1421921328408498178?s=20

We have to live with covid19, but uh, also don't get vaccinated

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Aces High posted:

I remember when e-scooters first showed up in Alberta and a cousin told me "you know those are great tools to destroy public transit?" and I was like "what do you mean? doesn't this take more cars off the road?" and he said "no, people still drive their cars everywhere, this is just another avenue to avoid getting on the bus, same with Uber and Lyft."

After a couple years I can't say he's necessarily wrong, I was in Germany in 2019 and there were a lot of people riding e-scooters but there were also a whooooooole lot of people riding bikes and taking public transit. I wasn't in Munich or Berlin but I still found that the car traffic was surprisingly small when compared to traffic in the big centres I've lived in across Canada. If the municipalities were collecting some kind of "transit fee" with people riding e-scooters I think I would be more in favour (especially since they only are around when the snow is off the ground) of them because I like to think we would get more movement on our transit plans that way

This is my issue too. I understand the jokes about old people writing letters to the editor, but there are legitimate concerns about whether shared electric scooters are a good idea or not. It's not a slam-dunk win that's for sure.

This study finds that the vast majority of scooter trips did not replace a car but instead replaced already 'green' modes of transport. I cannot say how widely applicable this is, given the study was in Oslo, but it lines up with other studies and articles I've read.
https://findingspress.org/article/13707-patterns-of-e-scooter-use-in-combination-with-public-transport

I think it ends up being very unclear whether their value as a first/last mile device is worth the cost of ending up as piles of disposable e-waste, the clogging of sidewalks, and replacement of active transport.
And then yeah, there's the general 'ugh' feeling of private corporations being in charge of something like this because we all know they will do the bare minimum to be responsible 'citizens'.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's nothing wrong with scooters that wasn't also wrong with every dockless bikeshare platform. Treating them like disposable trash is the issue and it's relatively easy to solve by requiring the service operators to actually build some minimal infrastructure to support their service rather than just letting them dump trucks of VC money directly into the streets in the form of cheap mobility devices. If some minimal regulations WRT operation of the vehicles and the set up of parking/docking/charging infrastructure are too onerous, they're free to gently caress off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

linoleum floors posted:

https://twitter.com/MaximeBernier/status/1421921328408498178?s=20

We have to live with covid19, but uh, also don't get vaccinated

I hope he gets covid, healthy young 58 year old that he is.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

I hope he gets covid, healthy young 58 year old that he is.

People like him are the embodiment of "Do as I say not as I do". I bet he is fully vaccinated and this is just a show for his insane base.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think something that's being overlooked is how this is a test of faith for some people. Like, if God loves you and you're a good Christian, then you don't need the vaccine because God wouldn't let you suffer and die; and if you do get it anyway, it must have mean you sinned or weren't strong enough in your faith.

I don't know those people are reachable.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Give the JOHN 3:16 guy a rest and send the LUKE 4:9-12 one in?

quote:

9 Then the devil led Him to Jerusalem and set Him on the pinnacle of the temple. “If You are the Son of God,” he said, “throw Yourself down from here.

10 For it is written: ‘He will command His angels concerning You to guard You carefully;

11 and they will lift You up in their hands,so that You will not strike Your foot against a stone."

12 But Jesus answered, “It also says, ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm not saying it's a particularly good, supportable argument, but that's the one they make.

Here's a better argument, from a smart and decent priest, whose opinions I respect from time to time:

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1421170834639577095

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Furnaceface posted:

People like him are the embodiment of "Do as I say not as I do". I bet he is fully vaccinated and this is just a show for his insane base.

I'd say this is like 50 50 odds. The only way to be sure is to infect him

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So as of Saturday the only restrictions still in place in Manitoba are

- Museums, Galleries and Movie Theatres at 50%
- Unvaccinated close contacts must isolate for 14 days
- Unvaccinated travellers coming into Manitoba must isolate for 14 days
- Indoor gatherings at 50 people or 50%, whatever is lower, no dance floors
- Indoor religious gatherings at 150 people or 50%, whatever is lower
- Outdoor gatherings 1500 people or 50%, whatever is lower, no dance floors
- Outdoor religious gatherings 1500 people or 50%, whatever is lower
- Don't go to other tables at restaurants
- Spectator capacity at recreational sports at 50%

Mask mandate is over, only strongly recommended now

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Vintersorg posted:

Despite being a crusty old shitstain - he has been fairly good with restrictions. Not fast enough but he hasn't been like Alberta.

I hope to hell the mask mandate stays up. I'll continue to wear mine regardless but that's the only thing keeping things at bay.

Lol

I hate the Pallister government so much

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"The fact that Pallister and Roussin can look to places like Alberta and the United States, where restrictions have been lifted and Delta variant cases have surged, and say "Yeah, that seems like a great idea" really tells you how loving brain dead the conservatives are."

I wish every single rotten thing in life to happen to Pallister. I loving despise that piece of poo poo. I loving hate him.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I just don't understand why you would end the mask mandate now and why you remove all the incentives the unvaccinated have to get vaccinated.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Need another hurdle for class conciousness

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm looking forward to breathing on people in public this Saturday

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

I just don't understand why you would end the mask mandate now and why you remove all the incentives the unvaccinated have to get vaccinated.

Has anyone said "Roussin roulette" yet?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Weird how all these Conservative provincial governments are making dangerous public health decisions just as the Liberals are about to call a federal election!

It must be a coincidence.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Another Bill posted:

Weird how all these Conservative provincial governments are making dangerous public health decisions just as the Liberals are about to call a federal election!

It must be a coincidence.
lmao if people rightly call the conservative premiers on their murderous policies and it gives Truedau a majority

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Sashimi posted:

lmao if people rightly call the conservative premiers on their murderous policies and it gives Truedau a majority

In Manitoba at least there's a LOT of hate for Pallister. Not just for how the PCs have handled the pandemic though that is a very very big part of it. I don't see this easing up of restrictions just as we were getting a handle on things again is going to go over any better for his administration than the last time he did the exact same thing. We're a lot more vaccinated now, but that doesn't mean there aren't enough unvaccinated people to clog up our hospitals and pump up the death count by a significant degree yet again.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

2020 die for the economy number to go up
2021 die for your right wing politician polling number to go up

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
Thanks Pallister I spent all summer worried how I’d get to teach remotely again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just assuming at this point that the new "restrictions" are because Pallister and Roussin have been practicing their "Who could have possibly seen this coming?" expressions and want to show them off in three week's time.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

"Listen, we strongly recommended you wear a mask and no one did so that's how we got here." - Brian a month from now

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

PT6A posted:

I'm not saying it's a particularly good, supportable argument, but that's the one they make.

Here's a better argument, from a smart and decent priest, whose opinions I respect from time to time:

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1421170834639577095

Pretty close to the angle I go for having talks with people in my church that I think might be reachable. Getting vaccinated helps to protect our neighbors around us, especially those who are immuno-compromised or can't get vaccines for other legitimate reasons. Christians are supposed to treat everyone as their neighbor, be their brother's keeper, so getting vaccinated should be every Christian's responsibility.

The way he priest words it kind of blows the risk out of proportion, even with AstraZeneca blood clot issue the chances of dangerous side-effects were extremely low. But I think he was just trying to address the fear, he probably knows that the risk from vaccines is almost nothing.

Then there's some in the church who think Covid is part of the government's plan to either bring in Communism or neuter everyone, and those folks you just don't bother bringing it up with.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I'm not affiliated with this company in any way.

https://shopvida.com/products/kids-fda-registered-kn95-face-mask

Now that Ontario has announced all kids will be masked in grades 1-12, if anyone is looking for KN95 masks for kids these are good. They aren't cheap, about $3 a mask delivered.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol Kenney and Shandro threw Hinshaw under the bus over their reopening fuckup.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I can't believe no reporter has asked if it was the joke option

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At this point I just treat Kenney and Shandro like Bryukhanov and Dyatlov from Chernobyl where they hear the first thing an expert says and then ignore everything else.

Not that I'm letting Hinshaw off the hook here. She's only sticking around to keep Kenney from sticking a bootlicker in her position and she's been frankly useless in actually taking a firm stance on health measures. She just repeats herself over and over to a crowd that doesn't listen and then shrugs and goes "oh well."

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 4, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was on several full ferries this weekend in BC. They still have signs "recommending" masks inside the ships but maybe 5% of people were wearing masks, absolutely abysmal rates when its not an enforced rule. Most of the people I saw with masks were 20-somethings that don't have their 2nd dose yet. But for the boomers, everything's absolutely back to normal in their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

At this point I just treat Kenney and Shandro like Bryukhanov and Dyatlov from Chernobyl where they hear the first thing an expert says and then ignore everything else.

Not that I'm letting Hinshaw off the hook here. She's only sticking around to keep Kenney from sticking a bootlicker in her position and she's been frankly useless in actually taking a firm stance on health measures. She just repeats herself over and over to a crowd that doesn't listen and then shrugs and goes "oh well."

Hinshaw is as actively evil as Kenney. There is no way someone with a scrap of human decency could keep their mouth shut through this. She is the bootlicker in her position. Nobody who would ever replace her could ever do any worse.