Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm looking for a maintenance schedule for my 2018 Crosstrek, the manual says to check the "Warranty and Maintenance Booklet" which is MIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

tl;dw is a Walmart/Costco batter is actually fine.

Thanks!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The ac compressor on my 2012 Forester X seized and I need to swap it out. What are some good reliable brands I should be looking for? Are remans alright or should I really go new?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hello fellow car brand people!

I’m sitting at home under quarantine for a couple weeks bored out of my mind and noticed the value of my 2019 Forester is up even higher than the last time I got an absurd offer.

Having time to think on it, I miss having fun behind the wheel and don’t use as much cargo space as I used to. I’m thinking about turning it into a 2021 WRX Limited. I like the interior creature comforts but I really miss having a stick and turbo.

Any glaring problems with the most recent generation? Anyone here have one and like it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

The ac compressor on my 2012 Forester X seized and I need to swap it out. What are some good reliable brands I should be looking for? Are remans alright or should I really go new?

Remans are a crapshoot, but I've had generally good luck with them (not so much for alternators and starters). Don't buy the cheapest one, probably don't need to buy the most expensive one.

I put one of these on my daughters car nearly a year ago. Looked good coming out of the box (no jankiness, good bearings etc) and has been working well: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5950518&cc=1440446&pt=6628&jsn=1

Looks like that exact one may be the correct part for your car too but double check. (Her car is an 08 Impreza poverty spec.)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Motronic posted:

Remans are a crapshoot, but I've had generally good luck with them (not so much for alternators and starters). Don't buy the cheapest one, probably don't need to buy the most expensive one.

I put one of these on my daughters car nearly a year ago. Looked good coming out of the box (no jankiness, good bearings etc) and has been working well: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5950518&cc=1440446&pt=6628&jsn=1

Looks like that exact one may be the correct part for your car too but double check. (Her car is an 08 Impreza poverty spec.)

Appreciate it! Yeah I typically shoot for median price.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

Hello fellow car brand people!

I’m sitting at home under quarantine for a couple weeks bored out of my mind and noticed the value of my 2019 Forester is up even higher than the last time I got an absurd offer.

Having time to think on it, I miss having fun behind the wheel and don’t use as much cargo space as I used to. I’m thinking about turning it into a 2021 WRX Limited. I like the interior creature comforts but I really miss having a stick and turbo.

Any glaring problems with the most recent generation? Anyone here have one and like it?

They have a really weird powerband that peaks at 2500 and rev hang is a repeatedly reported issue. If you can survive that it's probably a decent car. It really wakes up after a stage 1 tune by Cobb.

In case you didn't know, the next generation of STI is imminent which finally ditches the EJ257 engine in favor of a 400 hp 2.4L. I would wait for that myself, but I'm not sure what your exact requirements are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

um excuse me posted:

They have a really weird powerband that peaks at 2500 and rev hang is a repeatedly reported issue. If you can survive that it's probably a decent car. It really wakes up after a stage 1 tune by Cobb.

In case you didn't know, the next generation of STI is imminent which finally ditches the EJ257 engine in favor of a 400 hp 2.4L. I would wait for that myself, but I'm not sure what your exact requirements are.

Is that a variant of the FA24 in the ascent and outback/legacy XT? As an owner of an outback XT I can say that it also has a powerband that starts at 2000 but maybe thats just whatever dumb stuff they do with throttle mapping and the CVT.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 25, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It certainly is a variant of the engine I those cars. Not sure what Subaru will do with the tuning but I imagine it will be very conservative and have weird emissions stuff like the WRX does.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So it's time for some suspension work on the 93 legacy wagon. I'm not planning on anything excessive; this is a daily not a cross car or anything. Front sway bar parts are easy enough to acquire, but I'm curious about strut assemblies.

I don't have the time, tools, or inclination to swap out just the struts. I'd rather do the entire assembly. But I also don't want to go fancy. Just plain-rear end, quality, functional struts. What's a good place to find those. AutoZone and Advance seem to have your Monroe and whatever, but is there anywhere else a person could find assemblies that aren't like, huge performance upgrades? From what I can find, RockAuto only seems to have the individual parts.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

um excuse me posted:

Oh yep looks like an august announcement. I’ll wait and see.

Really wish they still made the hatch. An AWD stick boxer turbo hatch.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I’m thinking about getting back into the Subaru gang despite being burned by early onset blow-by on an STI a few years back. This time I’m looking at a BRZ, probably in the ‘13-‘15 model year range (based on budget). Are there any common issues I should be on the lookout for when I’m out kicking tires?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Avoid the 13's due to the valve spring recall. Apparently some people had issues with the engines even after the recall.

Personally I wouldn't get anything that has been modified engine wise. These cars are easy to have a bunch of parts bolted on and taken off, and who loving knows how good of a job the previous owner had done.

If you go for a manual, my throw out bearing went at around 75K miles, from what I understand that's not horribly uncommon.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

AFewBricksShy posted:

Avoid the 13's due to the valve spring recall. Apparently some people had issues with the engines even after the recall.

Personally I wouldn't get anything that has been modified engine wise. These cars are easy to have a bunch of parts bolted on and taken off, and who loving knows how good of a job the previous owner had done.

If you go for a manual, my throw out bearing went at around 75K miles, from what I understand that's not horribly uncommon.
Great, thanks for the info on the 13s. I’m always wary of mods; even non-OEM wheels give me pause because what are the odds that they’ve ONLY done the wheels, right?

The main issue for me right now is that there aren’t a lot of them in my area, so the hunt will probably be pretty slow, but I’m not in a huge rush anyway.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ok, why in the world does the new STI have a relay that clicks every time you push the clutch in? Is it for the dash display that tells you what gear you're in?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like having a gear indicator on my bike but why have one in a car? The big lever your hand is on indicates what gear you’re in.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gear indicator is used with cruise control, also gear readout on the dash.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Great, thanks for the info on the 13s. I’m always wary of mods; even non-OEM wheels give me pause because what are the odds that they’ve ONLY done the wheels, right?

The main issue for me right now is that there aren’t a lot of them in my area, so the hunt will probably be pretty slow, but I’m not in a huge rush anyway.

If you're not in a huge rush you should probably wait until November. The 2022 should help drive the prices of the 1st gen down a bit more.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

um excuse me posted:

Gear indicator is used with cruise control, also gear readout on the dash.

Oh I mistyped a bit, I was just speaking of the readout. Seems a bit frivolous.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The 15 WRX is the first manual I owned, I've never known anything else. To be fair the position the shifter is in is more than enough for me

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rolo posted:

Oh I mistyped a bit, I was just speaking of the readout. Seems a bit frivolous.

Used to be you'd have an ↑ shift light. My laundry list car history mostly is manuals, and more often than not, it was a SHIFT UP light of some variety.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My dad has a '90-'92 GMC K1500, the shift light in that one is terrible because it's 100% based on your speed regardless of what gear you're in. Drop low enough that you're where it would tell you to upshift while in the gear it would tell you to upshift to? It will say upshift again and you'll lug the engine horribly and stall out when you do it as a new stick driver on a learner's permit.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Anyone had experience putting a legacy suspension on a 5th gen outback?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My dad has a '90-'92 GMC K1500, the shift light in that one is terrible because it's 100% based on your speed regardless of what gear you're in. Drop low enough that you're where it would tell you to upshift while in the gear it would tell you to upshift to? It will say upshift again and you'll lug the engine horribly and stall out when you do it as a new stick driver on a learner's permit.

My Saturn had one, it was amusing as hell when it would light up in reverse. If you actually paid attention to it, you'd be in 5th gear by 30, which made for a very unhappy engine.

Older ones were usually just vacuum based, though I'm not sure how GM was doing it in ~1990.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Head Bee Guy posted:

Anyone had experience putting a legacy suspension on a 5th gen outback?

Depends what you are trying to do? Swap the suspension entirely? Just the shocks? Aiming to go lower?

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/removing-the-body-spacers-on-a-4th-gen.289530/ You might want to read this as from what I am seeing you will run into some issues esp with geometry and it looks like unlike earlier models, Subaru did not just spacer the subframes. Also looks like there's enough issues with the driveshafts after a Legacy suspension swap you need to go the whole way with the different subframes too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
On other forums it seems those cars are not mentioned long after the "successful" swaps are done either.

Curious.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

On other forums it seems those cars are not mentioned long after the "successful" swaps are done either.

Curious.

"Subarus are LEGO" aint true )I'mguilty of saying it, I'm learning loving hell what was I thinking). I'm doing a complete WRX swap into my Gen 1 Forester annnnd..... honestly doing it properly I'm running into all sorts of interesting issues that other forums just do not mention. I'm lucky that I'm doing MY00 --> MY00 so there's the least differences but to properly remove the subframe spacers well....... you know you have to change the steering coloumn and the uni joint? Oh actually just use the WRX subframe as well while you are at it and the steering rack is subtly different too.

Oh yeah. Dropping a WRX motor in sure that's eaaaaasy once you have changed the subframe because the exhaust uppipe wont fit. And wait that gearbox holes line up but the clutch is that a push or pull mechanism?

Now wire it.

Ha you say, IWIRE right? Oh God NO no no no gently caress off they miss half the poo poo needed I want *everything* running properly afterwards. Like the cruise control. Which wont fit because the intercooler will foul it.

None of this is hard to do, mind. I'll have the front end changed over I hope this weekend, (we turned a GC8 WRX into a AWD BRZ there's nothing swapping the remains of that GC8 into a Forester that's even cloooose to that level), But there's just so much info missing to do the job right and there's not actually a lot that swaps around without some research and thought.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man and I thought myself a fool to consider modifying an older gen STI performance radiator to fit my 2010 3.6 OB.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Haha yeah who would ever buy a car where you need to make parts from other Subarus fit if you ever want to fix it. That would be stupid, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

While Subarus aren't legos they definitely have a strong "whats in the Denso parts bin?" feel to them outside the engine and transmission.

Luckily the Denso parts bin is good unlike what Detroit drew from.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hey! My dad's taken an interest in a 2011 Forester S-Edition. At 80k miles, it's far beyond anything I even look at, so I'm not sure if it's even worth considering or if it's a ticking time bomb. We went to the next city over to check it out and we came out impressed with ride quality and certainly performance. The interior, considering it's a 10 year old car, is also quite nice.
Like I said, the main worry is the mileage. I tend to only look at cars at 40k miles or less, so this is definitely outside my comfort zone. It's also a relatively expensive, 10 year old car - a 2011 XT is 70% of the price S-Editions are going for. I really wouldn't want him to buy a car for this much only for it to die on him in 3 years.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would get a pre-purchase inspection done by someone who really knows the cars – ideally someone who deals in modified Subarus as opposed to the dealer or a random garage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

marumaru posted:

Hey! My dad's taken an interest in a 2011 Forester S-Edition. At 80k miles, it's far beyond anything I even look at, so I'm not sure if it's even worth considering or if it's a ticking time bomb. We went to the next city over to check it out and we came out impressed with ride quality and certainly performance. The interior, considering it's a 10 year old car, is also quite nice.
Like I said, the main worry is the mileage. I tend to only look at cars at 40k miles or less, so this is definitely outside my comfort zone. It's also a relatively expensive, 10 year old car - a 2011 XT is 70% of the price S-Editions are going for. I really wouldn't want him to buy a car for this much only for it to die on him in 3 years.
Any thoughts? Thanks!

Probably one of the lower risk turbo Subarus TBH. They didnt attract the "Stage 3 tooooones" asshats and were mostly just a nice comfortable turbo Forester. 120,000kms wouldnt really bother me too much - ifit's been serviced and looked after it's probably in long term good condition. It's also a five speed tradtional auto so there's no fear there - if it was a 10 year old CVT I'd be screaming RUN AWAY.

Get a suitible person to look at it, make sure the servicing was done - cant say 100% it'll work out of course but I'm not seeing too many alarm bells.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Anyone know if 15" wheels will fit on a 17-18 Impreza? I've seen posts suggesting 16" will fit but nothing definitive discussing 15". Tirerack seems to offer that 15"-18" will fit on the base, Premium, and Limited; Sport only lists 18". I didn't think the Sport had larger calipers so I can't account for this discrepancy.

Reason for it is I have OEM 15" wheels for my 04 Impreza and would like to blast + paint them to use as winter wheels on a newer Impreza. I've been following ads and visited a couple of dealers to check out a couple of cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stevobob posted:

Anyone know if 15" wheels will fit on a 17-18 Impreza?

They won't even fit on an '08 Impreza. You can't clear the front calipers.

Yeah, you can put pre '08 calipers on there but....ehhhh...maybe don't do that unless it's for a really good reason like "I can only get gravel tires in this size and it's is a caged rally car."

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Motronic posted:

They won't even fit on an '08 Impreza. You can't clear the front calipers.

Yeah, you can put pre '08 calipers on there but....ehhhh...maybe don't do that unless it's for a really good reason like "I can only get gravel tires in this size and it's is a caged rally car."

Thanks for this, I'll be offloading them then. Downsizing calipers for a street car is well beyond anything I'd consider.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would get a pre-purchase inspection done by someone who really knows the cars – ideally someone who deals in modified Subarus as opposed to the dealer or a random garage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Probably one of the lower risk turbo Subarus TBH. They didnt attract the "Stage 3 tooooones" asshats and were mostly just a nice comfortable turbo Forester. 120,000kms wouldnt really bother me too much - ifit's been serviced and looked after it's probably in long term good condition. It's also a five speed tradtional auto so there's no fear there - if it was a 10 year old CVT I'd be screaming RUN AWAY.

Get a suitible person to look at it, make sure the servicing was done - cant say 100% it'll work out of course but I'm not seeing too many alarm bells.

I was ready to tell him to forget about it, but sounds like it's not as big of a deal as I thought. They have all the service records and it looks to be in pretty great condition, yeah.
We'll get it checked out at a good shop. Thanks, guys!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

marumaru posted:

Any thoughts? Thanks!

That’s probably a really safe bet for Subarus. No CVT, and the engine is one of the last years of the EJ25 in the Forester so it has the better MLS head gasket that is solid.

It will need a timing belt at 105k so prepare for that.

I would personally consider 80k to be fairly low mileage for a car that old, depending on where you are located (I’d expect 120k or so for most parts of the US). The thing to worry about is if it sat for a while without running, seals and brakes may need work sooner (or immediately). Check the carfax and see if there are any stretches with very low mileage increase.

And yeah, take it to a good independent shop and have them inspect it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Has anybody put an LSD in a 5MT? I became an official Subaru owner by blowing my first LGT tranny last night and would love to put an LSD in the replacement.

I know most people just go 6 speed but the cascade of other poo poo I’d have to change seems unappealing and expensive. I’m only making 305/340 so I think another 5 speed will hold up…this one has been making noise in third since I got it, so I think a fresh one will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

i own every Bionicle posted:

Has anybody put an LSD in a 5MT? I became an official Subaru owner by blowing my first LGT tranny last night and would love to put an LSD in the replacement.

I know most people just go 6 speed but the cascade of other poo poo I’d have to change seems unappealing and expensive. I’m only making 305/340 so I think another 5 speed will hold up…this one has been making noise in third since I got it, so I think a fresh one will be fine.

"I became an official Subaru owner by blowing my first LGT tranny last night" I'd seriously think about a thread title change but I can already see the epic idiotitic QCS thread by a C-Spam idiot already annnnnd no dont feel like dealing with that.

Annnnyho.... yeah that's a completely doable and good thing to do- A couple of earlier Imprezas had DCCD and front LSD standard with 5mt and thats what is in the 22B- but I would also say you should look at a 4.444 5mt setup to do it with as they are stronger and not exactly expensive.