Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ahh, hell, might as well crosspost it here, no shame no gain

I finished my Wonder Woman movie analysis, and maybe half or more of it ended up being general breakdowns about the WW comics all the way back from the 40s up till now. Please check it out if you're interested in this sort of thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

doomrider7 posted:

Not surprised.

I always recalled John's being super into Silver and Bronze Age stuff and characters as well as chucking any previous character stuff by previous authors and just doing whatever on top of having some edgier and angstier streaks. Dido just felt like he had an unexplainable hate bones for legacy characters as well as stuff that was more light hearted.

I’m pretty sure the silver age revival was a Dan Didio mandate since every writer was forced to do it at the time like Jeph loeb bringing back multicolored kryptonite, krypto and silver age supergirl in Batman/Superman, Morrison being asked to bring back Barry Allen in final crisis, brad meltzers whole justice league run, bringing back batwoman, and the numerous interferences In 52 (I’m pretty sure the whole bringing back the multiverse thing was didio as well cuz that’s how things were back in the sixties)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

I’m pretty sure the silver age revival was a Dan Didio mandate since every writer was forced to do it at the time like Jeph loeb bringing back multicolored kryptonite, krypto and silver age supergirl in Batman/Superman, Morrison being asked to bring back Barry Allen in final crisis, brad meltzers whole justice league run, bringing back batwoman, and the numerous interferences In 52 (I’m pretty sure the whole bringing back the multiverse thing was didio as well cuz that’s how things were back in the sixties)

It definitely started with Johns with GL Rebirth, even though his JSA was pretty decent from what I recall, but GL Rebirth is what made that whole thing start with the creation of the spectrum entities and doing his damndest to not only make Jordan the one true GL, but also alleviate his responsibility killing the entire GL Corps and trying to restart time, by saying a yellow bug influenced him. It just kept going from there with Didio wanting to kill Nightwing and Connor during the abysmal Infinite Crisis, and just having Teen Titans getting amputated, SBP being a whiny fanboy, space goatse, Silver Age Superman tut-tutting other generations on how grim and dark they are only to get murdered by being smashed to death by Kryptonite rocks to the face.

Johns and Didio.........................are a land of contradictions. And it's amazing to me where Johns currently sits in the DC/Warner hierarchy.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Wasn't the Superboy death more that they were in a legal battle regarding the rights, so it was just easier to get rid of Connor?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Geoff Johns will have a character lose an arm in a second, so I was always wary of him doing important event stuff.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Geoff Johns will have a character lose an arm in a second, so I was always wary of him doing important event stuff.

Poor poor Risk. :smith:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jiro posted:

Poor poor Risk. :smith:

He lost both arms

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

He lost both arms

That's why I said poor twice!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pitwar posted:

Wasn't the Superboy death more that they were in a legal battle regarding the rights, so it was just easier to get rid of Connor?

That’s the common thought. Also why the cartoon around that time was called Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This is conflating/oversimplifying a ton of things that happened in 2000-2011. As mentioned the Superboy thing was mostly influenced by an then-ongoing legal battle questioning whether "Superboy" was covered by all of the WFH contracts/rights surrendering Siegel/Shuster did for "Superman".

Noob Saibot posted:

Didio got hired by DC in 2002 and wasn't a prime mover/executive editor until October 2004.

Jeph Loeb was on the Superman books and brought back Krypto, multicolor kryptonite, and a lot of other Silver Age trappings starting in 1999 and left the book in 2002. People had been trying in weird roundabout ways to bring back these things from almost the second John Byrne quit the Superman books in 1988, as evidenced by all of the different "we're not breaking Post-Crisis rules!" permutations of Supergirl, Krypto, General Zod, Bizarro, Red Kryptonite, etc that were introduced in the 1990s. Loeb (and Kelly/Casey/Seagle/et. al) just pushed some of those concepts even closer to the Silver Age versions, though Loeb's reintroduction of Full Blown Classic Supergirl in early 2004 was a step farther, though also one made before Didio had any editorial control to push for it.

Likewise Geoff Johns is a weird case, his rise to prominence all happened pre-Didio, and Green Lantern: Rebirth was also pitched/announced/developed before Didio ascended to executive editor, though his name/title is in the credits of the first issue. Johns definitely wants/wanted to return the DCU to some sort of "better time before", but it's hard to pin down when, exactly, since he was clearly trying to revamp the JSA into a more modern thing, his Titans was clearly influenced by 1980s Wolfman/Perez comics (and his fan letters to the Superman books in the early 1990s), and whatever previously unseen Flash comics where all of the Rogues are psychotic mass murderers.

The original Batwoman is from (chronologically) the extremely early Silver Age (introduced in 1956, effectively written out in 1962-1963) and tonally was from the Whitney Ellsworth era of Batman comics which were very much the "Batman and Robin fight aliens with Abe Lincoln and Billy the Kid... or was it all a dream Alfred wrote down?" era, not the Julius Schwartz executive-editor era that feels more like "Silver Age" comics as people recognize them. I don't think your average "Silver Age Fanboy" gave a poo poo about Batwoman. BatGIRL maybe, and DC eventually returned Barbara Gordon to that role in the New 52, but even then she wasn't the Batgirl who teamed with Batwoman, that was Betty Kane, introduced in 1961 and similarly written out a few years later to make room for Actual Silver Age Batgirl Babs in 1967, a character developed for the television show.

The modern Batwoman bears little resemblance to the "Silver Age*" one, and had a weird bumpy ride towards actually being introduced that feels like if anything was hindered by Dan Didio: she was never meant to be part of 52, but Didio did an interview with the New York Times saying they were going to introduce a lesbian Batwoman, and Devin Grayson was developing it as a series. Then they told the 52 people to add her into that book, and told Grayson her book was canceled. They wanted Rucka (who was basically handed the character and asked to insert her into the Montoya plot of 52) to develop a Batwoman series, which took like three years to actually get put on the schedule. Both Grayson and Rucka express clear frustration with the whole thing, even years later.

The whole multiverse thing also isn't *really* Silver Age, though it was introduced in 1961 with "Flash of Two Worlds", it was pretty well restricted to an annual JLA "special story" through the 1960s, and didn't turn into a big "Multiverse" with comics printed taking place on Earth-1, Earth-2, Earth-S, etc. until pretty deep into the 1970s. And even then, people were trying to bring it back in roundabout ways almost immediately after Crisis on Infinite Earths, culminating in the "Hypertime" pitch from Grant Morrison and Mark Waid in the 1990s, half of the writing team that brought it back for real in 52, to some apparent pushback from Didio.

Didio had a lot of strange, often bad ideas, and there was unquestionably a push (both at Marvel, but especially at DC) in the 2000s to bring all of the toys back into the toybox and push aside some legacy characters. But boiling it all down to a heavy hand from Didio mandating things isn't really accurate at all.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The man also loved the Metal Men, so he wasn't all bad.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I don’t consider GL Rebirth to be part of the silver age revival. Hal and the corps got done dirty in a spin-off storyline from death of Superman and DC never heard the end of it from fans. There had been letter writing campaigns and everything.

Nobody was clamoring for the return of Barry Allen or whatever

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Edge & Christian posted:

The modern Batwoman bears little resemblance to the "Silver Age*" one, and had a weird bumpy ride towards actually being introduced that feels like if anything was hindered by Dan Didio: she was never meant to be part of 52, but Didio did an interview with the New York Times saying they were going to introduce a lesbian Batwoman, and Devin Grayson was developing it as a series. Then they told the 52 people to add her into that book, and told Grayson her book was canceled. They wanted Rucka (who was basically handed the character and asked to insert her into the Montoya plot of 52) to develop a Batwoman series, which took like three years to actually get put on the schedule. Both Grayson and Rucka express clear frustration with the whole thing, even years later.

from what I can tell, this is close but not quite right; Kate Kane's introduction was already set for 52 by the time the 2006 NYT article ran. the Devin Grayson book wasn't mentioned in that article and was never officially announced (apparently, that was how Grayson found out about its cancellation, through its omission from the NYT article).

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

from what I can tell, this is close but not quite right; Kate Kane's introduction was already set for 52 by the time the 2006 NYT article ran. the Devin Grayson book wasn't mentioned in that article and was never officially announced (apparently, that was how Grayson found out about its cancellation, through its omission from the NYT article).
Yeah, I got it a little mixed up. That article ran on May 28, 2006, in between the third and fourth issue of 52 being released. Given that Kate Kane first appears in 52 #7 (June 21st) and appears as Batwoman in the eleventh issue (July 19th) the plans were already in the works by the time the article was released, I was conflating that with this Rucka quote from a 2009 interview about the Batman serial in Detective Comics launching:

quote:

Let's get this straight. Her sexual orientation wasn't revealed in "52." Her sexual orientation was revealed in a "New York Times" article. And the "New York Times" article got all this attention and got picked up all over the place and quotes from the article somehow mysteriously came from Dan DiDio, things that he never said and so on, so by the time she showed up in "52," what happened was every one said, "Oh, the gay one."

And this one I half-remembered but had to dig up, from Rucka's ca. 2007 "52 Exit Interview"

quote:

GR: Sure – Batwoman initially? Never was supposed to be part of 52. Then the Times article came out, and we were told to try to get her in there.

NRAMA: But isn’t that coming at the bad stuff from the other side? Being told that you have to put a character in when she wasn’t there to begin with?

GR: In other situations, probably, but not in this one. She fit for what we needed in terms of Gotham City, and pretty clearly, she became a pretty prominent B storyline throughout the year, and she opened up the story in some very different ways, but she was never on the agenda. She was never on that list of characters when we started considering possibilities at that first meeting. The idea – and this was even after initial discussions – was that she’d be brought out, shown, do her thing, and that was it for her in that series. She’d maybe come back after 52, but that wasn’t decided.
So it's possible there was a long lead-time on the NYT piece meant that the interview was done prior to the 52 writers being told to feature her, or Rucka is misremembering the sequence.

And yes, I was erroneously conflating rumors about Devin Grayson doing a Batwoman article existing pre-article, then continuing post-article, then getting squelched. It wasn't in the article itself, just discussion around it.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 3, 2021

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Noob Saibot posted:

I don’t consider GL Rebirth to be part of the silver age revival. Hal and the corps got done dirty in a spin-off storyline from death of Superman and DC never heard the end of it from fans. There had been letter writing campaigns and everything.

Nobody was clamoring for the return of Barry Allen or whatever

I REALLY liked Hal crumbling under pressure that he put on himself just going full nuts, and becoming Parallax and DC gets it's own Magneto-type figure. Then again I enjoy crab masks and shiny green gauntlets and my GLs making gundams and romancing alien women and Amazons that don't "age their looks faster so it's totally okay don't worry about it".

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Wally is finally fixed, now they need to hurry up and reveal much of what has been going on is due to Hal actually succeeding in Zero Hour and making history treat him as the greatest. You know since he's an ego manic. All the batshit crazy poo poo going on with so many legacy characters getting shafted can easily be explained by Hal's loving around with time and space to have the originals aka the icons as Didio loved to say, while the universe attempts to fight back only for Hal to keep hitting the reset button screwing up things even worse.

The sooner Jordan gets skewered the better.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jordan is fine now. The problem is too many lanterns and not enough sales to support separate books.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 4, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Justice League is really bad, I only read it for the JL Dark parts.

Is JL Dark getting its own monthly any time soon? It being shoehorned behind the main JL comic feels really insulting.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Last Call posted:

Wally is finally fixed, now they need to hurry up and reveal much of what has been going on is due to Hal actually succeeding in Zero Hour and making history treat him as the greatest. You know since he's an ego manic. All the batshit crazy poo poo going on with so many legacy characters getting shafted can easily be explained by Hal's loving around with time and space to have the originals aka the icons as Didio loved to say, while the universe attempts to fight back only for Hal to keep hitting the reset button screwing up things even worse.

The sooner Jordan gets skewered the better.

Morrison writing Hal as a Shinji analogue but just dealing with midlife crisises over and over again and just hitting reset again and again throw in some more obvious nods to Evangelion and I'm lapping that poo poo right up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Azubah posted:

Is JL Dark getting its own monthly any time soon? It being shoehorned behind the main JL comic feels really insulting.

When the movie happens, and not a moment before.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Lord_Hambrose posted:

When the movie happens, and not a moment before.

Even then... Aquaman is DC's highest-grossing movie and a global blockbuster. The character is celebrating 80 years.

Where's the ongoing monthly, DC? :reject:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alehkhs posted:

Even then... Aquaman is DC's highest-grossing movie and a global blockbuster. The character is celebrating 80 years.

Where's the ongoing monthly, DC? :reject:

They're doing one of the anniversary issues later this year that will spin off into a Black Manta series and an Aqualad series. Not sure if those are minis or ongoings, however.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just saw on Twitter that Wild Dog was part of the Capitol attack, at least according to a Black Label book.

I don't care about the character, but that's surely a weird thing to add to a non-canon version of him.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Roth posted:

They're doing one of the anniversary issues later this year that will spin off into a Black Manta series and an Aqualad series. Not sure if those are minis or ongoings, however.

Minis is what I had heard, but who knows if they won't become something more. :pray:

They also just put out a trade collecting all the digital "Deep Dive" issues they had last year.

I just want more Aquaman/Aquafamily v:shobon:v

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Azubah posted:

How's JL selling btw? A friend was telling me the other day that it's one of the worst selling runs of the team but he also despises Bendis and didn't link me anything about that lol

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Adnor posted:

How's JL selling btw? A friend was telling me the other day that it's one of the worst selling runs of the team but he also despises Bendis and didn't link me anything about that lol
DC hasn't provided definite sale numbers since switching off Diamond, but starting from the New 52 era, the Johns-written Justice League was consistently a top-5 title for DC in terms of sales, and sometimes was the single best-selling title they had. Even during the Snyder run, it was situated as a consistent top 5/top 10 title in their output during the first half of its run, usually only being beaten out by event or Batman books, and fell as low as #15 around the time Snyder stopped having a consistent writing credit after shifting over to Death Metal. Bendis' Justice League debuted at #3, then dropped to #7, then #12, and then #17 for June, which is the last month we have numbers on. These aren't actual sales numbers, and it's possible the title is selling far worse than it's being ordered for at the moment, but even under the best interpretation, it's a clear step down from where the title had been situated for pretty much the entire past decade. However, this still places it in the top third of DC's output, and the decline in positioning seems typical of what happens to non-event, non-Batman DC books, so it's not as if he's transformed it into Red Hood and the Outlaws or Checkmate. If anything, it's indicative that Bendis no longer has the drawing power that allowed him to elevate every Avengers book into bestsellers during the mid-aughts, which shouldn't be that surprising to anyone except maybe DC"s marketing department.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Adnor posted:

It sells pretty well, yet is not great as a book. The ultimate lesson of comics.

His Justice League book has been... Fine? Following up a particularly bad run helps for sure, but I don't think team books have even been one of Bendis's strengths as a writer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's kind of very solidly a Bendis team book. It's decompressed as hell to the point that the issue you read this week is basically the same issue that you've read two weeks ago and will probably be basically the same issue that you'll read two weeks from now. The fights always happen in the same manner and sequence (the team bumrushes the villain, they get flattened, they try again, roll dice for outcome) and the only difference is exactly which OP OC Bendis has shuffled in for this arc, and even then the differences between his characters generally tend to be cosmetic at best.

That being said, it's also true that it's just kinda...fine?...as a book. Nothing egregiously terrible has happened yet in this series, which is much more than we can say for many other DC books, Bendis-written or otherwise. The only notable elements are how much Naomi he's shoving in here -- although she's getting a TV show soon so that might be the rationale -- along with his writing of Batman being just ever so slightly off somehow in a hard-to-describe way, almost like he's trying to see just how much slightly-off-Batman he can get away with writing before people really start to make a fuss.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Naomi is used in a more restrained way than say Spider-Woman was in his New Avengers run, but obsessively pushing whatever character he is interested in at the expense of all others has always been his MO.

Naomi is one of my biggest disappointments in the last few years easily. While I admittedly did like her original mini, I loved it up until she got powers and just became just another super person. The beginning where she is just a really believable person to exist in that universe, dreaming of getting powers and meeting all the super heroes she is fascinated by, was great. I loved finding out about how she was unknowingly surrounded by weirdness and aliens!

Then she just gets powers and become a pretty by the numbers teen hero. Sure, great.

I can definitely see where someone wanted to just do Ms Marvel, but DC and so that is just what they did. Getting powers because she is actually descended from a powerful bloodline of special people and not just a normal person who gets caught up in a crazy situation really makes he veer closer to Naruto than Kamala Khan in my opinion. Not awful, but much less compelling. Ms Marvel would also have not worked as well if you found out her parents also has secret powers and her illusion of normalcy was always a lie.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Naomi is used in a more restrained way than say Spider-Woman was in his New Avengers run, but obsessively pushing whatever character he is interested in at the expense of all others has always been his MO.

This might seem too much, but I really think it's how you get a new character to stick around these days, you just have to over-push them at first to properly install them.
I feel like 20-30 years ago, new characters could sort of remain by becoming part of supporting casts because status quo wasn't rebooted as much when new writers
came on.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1422952382195961856

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

radlum posted:

Just saw on Twitter that Wild Dog was part of the Capitol attack, at least according to a Black Label book.

I don't care about the character, but that's surely a weird thing to add to a non-canon version of him.

I guess it's made to make the book feel more "contemporary" or something? This is the same book where Joker is being bankrolled by Russia to cause general mayhem in Gotham.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

I guess it's made to make the book feel more "contemporary" or something? This is the same book where Joker is being bankrolled by Russia to cause general mayhem in Gotham.

No way.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I'm genuinely surprised by how good Jim Lee turned out to be at navigating high-level corporate politics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I remember when the Joker was an Iranian diplomat.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nessus posted:

I remember when the Joker was an Iranian diplomat.

Another great enemy of the American empire who is an immediate threat! The joker mini will have to be edited to replace Russia with china.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FMguru posted:

I'm genuinely surprised by how good Jim Lee turned out to be at navigating high-level corporate politics.

I assume he was one of the guys who gave a poo poo about learning the business side when they started Image

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
How is Black Adam in JL? That’s the only reason I was kind of interested.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Quotey posted:

How is Black Adam in JL? That’s the only reason I was kind of interested.

Because of how everything is paced, not much more can be said besides He exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That joker suicide squad book is insanely bad!