Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I want it to be Buzzy or Ken because I need to know the host is smarter than me.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Of the guest hosts who are auditioning I’d like Ken, Buzzy or Aaron. Aaron is my first choice but also the least likely of the three to actually be picked IMO

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Saturday rerun here was the $32,801-$32,799 game with the FJ "Objects of attention in this suspenseful film...", "Rear Window". Is that or what is the record high losing score?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
$53,999 was a loss in one of James’s games

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Spokes posted:

$53,999 was a loss in one of James’s games
Prior to James Holzhauer's run, that would have been something like the 17th highest adjusted (and 10th highest unadjusted) single-game score in the show's history

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 1, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Matt Imodium

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't like Levar Burton's performance. He sounds like he's talking to children.

E: didn't realize I was a week+ behind, oops

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 3, 2021

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Never seen this new guy in my life who is he?

edit: and hes aggressively mediocre

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I guess I'm in the minority here because I loved LeVar Burton and could watch him host Jeopardy for the rest of my life.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

I guess I'm in the minority here because I loved LeVar Burton and could watch him host Jeopardy for the rest of my life.

Nah, I thought he did well, especially as the week went on.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

That last day with LeVar went really smoothly - if every day had been like that I don't think we'd see nearly as much complaining about him.

Mantis42 posted:

He sounds like he's talking to children.

I think that is just "he sounds nice."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Last night I watched my first LeVar episode and I thought he did really well. I don’t understand the hate.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked when he would sound so excited saying, "YES!" to responses :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Last night I watched my first LeVar episode and I thought he did really well. I don’t understand the hate.

I don't hate him, I just don't feel like he was a great fit.

Although, I'd much rather have him this week instead of the doofus we have this week.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
He is a financial journalist, so FACTS are important!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Although, I'd much rather have him this week instead of the doofus we have this week.

I haven't seen his episode yet (since I'm only on the second LeVar one) but JFC this might be the only person alive who looks more like a stock photo of a middle-aged white male than Mike Richards.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Hed posted:

He is a financial journalist, so FACTS are important!

This triggered me since finance is largely based on subjectivity, forecasting, and unsure outcomes.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 3, 2021

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I feel like there's a big correlation between "didn't want to see him as host at all and think it's just a stunt because of Twitter" and "I think he did poorly". You see what you expected to see sometimes :shrug:

I think he was great and stood out from several other generic hosts who just blended into the scenery. He had a rough start but handled some really weird situations well enough. You can see a definite improvement as the week went on with Friday going nearly flawlessly. Again, think back to Ken's first week when we all thought he was awkward as gently caress, and how well he was doing by week 6. You can learn and become more fluent with the mechanics of hosting really, really easily. It's much harder to try to inject personality into someone who doesn't have one.

He's one of the older candidates, but I really don't think that's super relevant. The decision makers here are just going to look at ratings in the short term, they're not looking out 20+ years, even though he'd likely have at least a decade. He doesn't have a ton of other projects he'd need to drop or schedule around, I think he already lives in L.A., he actively wants this....seems like one of the more attractive options from a logistical standpoint.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CPColin posted:

I liked when he would sound so excited saying, "YES!" to responses :3:

Same. :3:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I think I would have enjoyed Levar a lot more without What's Matt there.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I guess I'm just confused why everyone is trying to compare Levar to Ken instead of the other guest hosts. Levar has a long history of hosting shows and knows how to be in front of the camera. So do many of the other guest hosts who have been before Levar. Even the rest of the hosts who only had a week did not have the same stumbles as Levar did. Everyone keeps saying stuff like "He got better as the week went on!" but it was either Thursday or Friday when he mistakenly called a response as incorrect when it was actually correct. His timing was atrocious and there was so much time between buzzing in and being called on. It was tedious to watch him.

Just look at the previous week's host of Robin Roberts and none of the same issues are as present. I do not think she's been a gameshow host in the past and she had the same hosting length. Why aren't we comparing Levar to the GMA folks like her?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

FrumpleOrz posted:

I guess I'm just confused why everyone is trying to compare Levar to Ken instead of the other guest hosts.

Because "this other person who started off shaky improved really quickly" is kind of relevant to....a guy who started off shaky and improved really quickly? It's irrelevant if he didn't live up to your weird expectation that "because he was on tv before he should have been instantly perfect like these other people!"

I guess I'm confused why you're focusing just on whether or not someone was perfect right out of the gate. It's almost like people who didn't want to see him get a chance in the first place look for reasons to hate him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I was actually hoping he'd do well and I don't think he really did until the last day or so, especially compared to some of the hosts before him (like Robin, for example)

ngl I'm kind of annoyed at the suggestion that the only reason someone might have been disappointed in his performance is because they wanted him to fail

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Because "this other person who started off shaky improved really quickly" is kind of relevant to....a guy who started off shaky and improved really quickly? It's irrelevant if he didn't live up to your weird expectation that "because he was on tv before he should have been instantly perfect like these other people!"

I guess I'm confused why you're focusing just on whether or not someone was perfect right out of the gate. It's almost like people who didn't want to see him get a chance in the first place look for reasons to hate him.

I don't expect people to be perfect out of the gate but other people who have been better out of the gate are getting lost in the discussion.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

FrumpleOrz posted:

I don't expect people to be perfect out of the gate but other people who have been better out of the gate are getting lost in the discussion.

They get "lost in the discussion" because no one seems to have had anything else to say about them because they just blended into the scenery.

christmas boots posted:

ngl I'm kind of annoyed at the suggestion that the only reason someone might have been disappointed in his performance is because they wanted him to fail

That's not what I said at all, but ok.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well, I apologize if that's not what you were trying to imply, but the spoilered part seemed to me like a passive-aggressive jab at the poster above you. :shrug:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I don't think we necessarily need to temper "I liked LeVar" by adding "more/less than X" every time.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

They get "lost in the discussion" because no one seems to have had anything else to say about them because they just blended into the scenery.

I dunno, I viewed that more as exhaustion of guest hosts at that point.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's not what I said at all, but ok.

quote:

It's almost like people who didn't want to see him get a chance in the first place look for reasons to hate him.
What does that mean then???

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

christmas boots posted:

Well, I apologize if that's not what you were trying to imply, but the spoilered part seemed to me like a passive-aggressive jab at the poster above you. :shrug:

Yes, but nowhere did I imply that was the ONLY reason anyone wouldn't like him, or that that's what was the case with others. You generalized that yourself.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
E: nevermind.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 3, 2021

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd accept Ken but would be mildly disappointed now that I've seen the field, especially because I'm worried he'd end every show until the end of time with "...and thank you, Alex"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Guys, ladies, friends....we must consider whats most important. We have an entire week coming up to fling poo poo at joe buck!!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly I'm ready for this season to be loving over. Enough with the guest hosts. It's exhausting, and I hate it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

Honestly I'm ready for this season to be loving over. Enough with the guest hosts. It's exhausting, and I hate it.

:emptyquote:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I’m certainly in agreement there

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Yep, I don't think anyone can disagree with that sentiment.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can't believe they had a TNG clue the day after LeVar left

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Matt rules and I hope he never loses

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

I can't believe they had a TNG clue the day after LeVar left

Mrs Duck was yelling about this when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Poque posted:

Matt rules and I hope he never loses
I like him too. His demeanor and delivery are so dry that it was hilarious to see his face light up when he got a Lord of the Rings clue.