Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/rebekahallen/status/1422566162932588544

I would've simply made the Big 12 better than the SEC.

Also I don't remember any of this stuff when A&M left which kinda cements what the actual important school in the state is cest pas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The argument could be made that Texas and Oklahoma leaving makes the Big 12 much better.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

saintonan posted:

The argument could be made that Texas and Oklahoma leaving makes the Big 12 much better.

I'd love to hear it

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Texas and Oklahoma are not exactly team players, and losing them means the conference can focus on things other than Making Texas and Oklahoma Happy.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I hate to break it to you but the conference will actually focus on falling apart

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I only follow this thread from afar as a lesser-blood-red-state-inhabiter (SC) because I find Texas fascinating in its dysfunction but your lawmakers focusing on this instead of myriad power failures just fucks with my sense of Anything Matters.

Pure spectacle, no substance while texans alternately freeze and sweat to death.

Also lol that Texas thinks they’ll sniff SEC glory.
Pure hubris move on their part, but I’m looking forward to the whining when the conference doesn’t genuflect in as spectacular fashion as the BigXII did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

Texas and Oklahoma are not exactly team players, and losing them means the conference can focus on things other than Making Texas and Oklahoma Happy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

saintonan posted:

I'm much better off now that my big tiddy goth gf left me, I was too drained and tired from all the sex

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

1. We don't even know who will be in the Big 12 when the next TV deal is signed.
2. I know this is sacrilege but conferences are not just vehicles for sports revenue.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

saintonan posted:

1. We don't even know who will be in the Big 12 when the next TV deal is signed.
2. I know this is sacrilege but conferences are not just vehicles for sports revenue.

Are you implying that students play sports other than football and basketball?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the barnburners between OU and ISU volleyball teams are just fading memories now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Good. gently caress college sports. Glad that between the recent SCOTUS ruling and this that these overvalued programs will get taken down a few notches.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

saintonan posted:

That is true, but it is also true that it takes a lot of money in football particularly to be competitive and stay that way. Over half of the nationally televised Big XII football games involved Texas or OU, and that is how some of the other schools get noticed and build recruiting classes, etc. This has a huge effect on other athletic programs at the school, helps encourage people to attend the school, etc. Baylor getting good in football and beating Texas and OU a few times also lead to their basketball program staying consistently great and winning a title. There really are not any options out there that replace those two schools in a way that attracts more national attention or money, and the conference has been very unstable for a long time because all the other large schools left.

Whatever is left would be compelling to watch and competitive even in football, but this is a huge hit. A lot of the Big XII teams that were not OU already had an incredibly tough time making the playoffs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeBoard1200/status/1421139473664983049

womp womp Cancel cultured right into the mountain west

Spoiler: none of the other 7 teams are going to get a peek from the Pac-12 either

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

texas tech is a natural pac12 school imo

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

texas tech is a natural pac12 school imo

They have history with the two Arizona schools, and to a lesser degree Colorado, but there is no reason for the Pac 12 to expand.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the reason is to realize my dream of 4 32-team conferences with a 16 team playoff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

it's headed that way, especially with the NCAA about to die. Rumors are now that the SEC is talking with Clemson and Florida St.

General Dog posted:

Spoiler: none of the other 7 teams are going to get a peek from the Pac-12 either

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1422591043543965698

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

HEY WE WON BASEBALL THAT ONE YEAR

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

zoux posted:

it's headed that way, especially with the NCAA about to die. Rumors are now that the SEC is talking with Clemson and Florida St.

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1422591043543965698

Oh wow, a meeting that could very well maybe result in a nonconference scheduling agreement in 2029, I stand corrected.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The big 12 has been dead man walking since the best out of Texas school they could find was West loving Virginia

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shoulda never broke up the SWC imo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The big 12 has been dead man walking since the best out of Texas school they could find was West loving Virginia

That was always such a weird as gently caress addition.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Shoulda never broke up the SWC imo

in another reality the mustangs have an alabama-like string of championships

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JTiloveTX/status/1422680017679568900

Uh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

had to specify the nonrefundability

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
The rumor mill is that they are starting to break and need money, but we'll see. I wouldn't normally see myself as an accelerationist, but I would like to see them make it to the 20th - that's the informal logistical deadline for implementing the Article X budget for the next FY on September 1st. If they make it just 17 more days, then Abbott either has to executive order Article X or we get a government shutdown.

That said, apparently Abbott has wanted to veto the lege budget since at least 2019 to consolidate his own power. So maybe destroying Article X is just his sincere preference and he needed an excuse.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1422557639842701313?s=20

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You realize that means that more than 2k people get furloughed

e: what are your friends saying, the only thing I've seen is Gervin -Hawkins said that she told her staff to get ready to go on unemployment, I can't imagine that made them feel good. Do they think a deal will get done or what are they preparing for?

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 4, 2021

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
Like I said, I'm not normally an accelerationist. But I don't know how to stem Greg "will defund a co-equal branch of government and all oversight if he is mildly displeased" Abbott's fight for absolute power if he always gets what he wants in the end.

I haven't heard much of anything lately - just talk that things were getting more tense in DC. Several folks from my office left at the end of session (unrelated to the work), and I'm still in unemployment land - so I just get bits and pieces lately.

Also, don't know if this got posted. Travis County GOP Chair said lege staffers don't do anything, so pay shouldn't matter.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1422330878034857984

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Greg just hates the Lege as a whole because they spent all of COVID trying to make him the bad guy because he exercised the barest amount of power

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Greg just hates the Lege as a whole because they spent all of COVID trying to make him the bad guy because he exercised the barest amount of power

He was thinking of a plan to defund the legislature in 2019 though, so it's not new. But I was more sympathetic towards him when he did lockdown measures and the legislature complained about not having a special for that. I will say though that the legislature and governor are equally trash at responding to COVID-19 since then. Across party lines during the session, you would have thought the lockdown was the only bad part of the pandemic and that no one had died - you had Lucio Jr. really lamenting about his gym business being under capacity for a few months and that was the general vibe of the whole debate.

I don't think any other state constitutionally has such a powerful governor position. There is functionally no way for the legislature to overturn a veto, and you have most of the Republicans agreeing that the governor should defund their entire branch of government if he doesn't get every single thing he wants - even in a session full of disgusting red meat victories. Not every state works like this - where the governor is fundamentally the only policymaker who matters.

And Zoux - apparently some offices are telling their staff they'll pay them out of campaign funds, but that seems too optimistic.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Seems like the pandemic response is the logical result of a part-time legislature with a schedule that's only tenable to business owners by and large.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I doubt Abbott will ever see the light as Arkansas governor did, but then he kept it to executive orders rather than the force of law.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jaspscherer/status/1422931488358768645

But also I will not say that I wasn't in Portugal.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao what on earth

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That's certainly one way to respond.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I were alleged to be in one place when I was supposed to be in another, I would simply say I was not in the place I was alleged to have been. Unless of course I was in that place.

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1422953239222292481

"I'm stupid and it makes me feel bad, so I pretend that actually I'm the smart one"

e: what the gently caress

quote:

Although a metaphysical store might seem out of place in a town better known for its massive military base, King of Swords is one of three stores at the Killeen Mall hawking magic crystals. Sales have been so strong that RamStone is expanding into a permanent space, next to Kay’s Jewelers and Candy Corner, where he will provide tarot readings and sell metaphysical books with titles like Ascension Magick and The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Spells and Spellcraft.

The Killeen mall has three magic crystal stores???

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 4, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Top 3 ways to scam troops:
1) for profit college
2) $100k new truck
3) magic crystals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

The Killeen mall has three magic crystal stores???

ft hood teens

efb