Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Duckman2008 posted:

Makes sense, so covers most legal stuff, but not medical bills.

So, would this be a reason to get say, a lower car insurance bill and just have umbrella cover the difference ?
State Farm made me up my auto insurance to the max before adding on the umbrella to get the rest of the way to $1M. I ran the numbers and the cost was identical, just the way they explained it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Makes sense, so covers most legal stuff, but not medical bills.

No, it just doesn't cover YOUR medical bills.

Duckman2008 posted:

So, would this be a reason to get say, a lower car insurance bill and just have umbrella cover the difference ?

There are auto policy minimums that vary by insurer. Most people don't have enough auto coverage to begin with, so it's overwhelmingly likely you will have to add to your auto coverage to qualify.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spf3million posted:

State Farm made me up my auto insurance to the max before adding on the umbrella to get the rest of the way to $1M. I ran the numbers and the cost was identical, just the way they explained it.

What are you maxed at? In CA I had 500/500/500 and lowered it to to whatever I'm at now (250/500/100 I think?) which is the policy minimum for the umbrella to attach.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

There are auto policy minimums that vary by insurer. Most people don't have enough auto coverage to begin with, so it's overwhelmingly likely you will have to add to your auto coverage to qualify.

Ok this makes sense. Something to keep in mind for the future.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

H110Hawk posted:

What are you maxed at? In CA I had 500/500/500 and lowered it to to whatever I'm at now (250/500/100 I think?) which is the policy minimum for the umbrella to attach.
I don't remember what level I had. But you might be right that I just had too little auto coverage and needed to bump it up to the minimum before umbrella could be added on.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

H110Hawk posted:

Is this like $500/250 thousand? I appreciate this is what you're all discussing but wow that is incredibly low. I had a check and my car is 100m chf ($110m) cover.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Is this like $500/250 thousand? I appreciate this is what you're all discussing but wow that is incredibly low. I had a check and my car is 100m chf ($110m) cover.

Yes, those are in hundreds of thousands USD. Longer reply will wait but tl;dr the USA is insane.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Motronic posted:

This may vary by state, but uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury covers your medical bills if someone who hits you isn't properly insured.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Inept posted:

This may vary by state, but uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury covers your medical bills if someone who hits you isn't properly insured.

We're talking about umbrella policies, not the base auto policy. And if you have health insurance it doesn't matter to you: that's just a subrogation exercise between insurance companies after the fact.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet as a benefit, the umbrella policies are good to get if you have teenage drivers in the house.

And echoing others, from what I've seen it's commonly regarded as pretty good value for peace of mind especially of you're a high earner.

When your kids become drivers, your umbrella insurance premium goes up a lot. Still worth getting, but the amount becomes less trivial.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Good news: my wife has a new job that has a 401k match.

Bad news: it’s managed by Edward jones.

Dude was nice enough, but it was somewhat funny, he was like “yeah you can do vanguard funds and we can help there, there’s a 1% management fee kind of however you look at it though.”

Worth it for the match, but probably only the match unfortunately.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Good news: my wife has a new job that has a 401k match.

Bad news: it’s managed by Edward jones.

Dude was nice enough, but it was somewhat funny, he was like “yeah you can do vanguard funds and we can help there, there’s a 1% management fee kind of however you look at it though.”

Worth it for the match, but probably only the match unfortunately.

If you have money beyond IRA+Her401kMatch+Your401kMax then it's probably still worth it, if usurious. I would complain.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Get the match no matter what. It takes a steeper fee than 1% to outweigh doubling your initial investment. Especially if this isn’t a forever job and can later be rolled into some better later. Do check what the vesting time is though and see if/when you actually get to keep the match.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

If you have money beyond IRA+Her401kMatch+Your401kMax then it's probably still worth it, if usurious. I would complain.

Oh totally. We’re gonna do the match, but leave it at that.

It’s a small company, not my job, and the company’s been great for her so far, so honestly it’s not worth complaining. I take care of all the finance stuff, so I don’t think she would be comfortable voicing a concern on it , and I don’t blame her.

Basically, not worth rocking the boat in this case. Other cases certainly could be.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Now you all have me thinking about umbrella….

My current situation:
  • $686K net worth ($376K 401k + $200K Roth IRA + $110K Brokerage)
  • $1M of personal liability on my Renters Insurance
  • $1M of bodily injury liability on my Car Insurance
  • Quoted $276/year for $1M of umbrella coverage
Would you recommend I purchase this?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I mean, paying 400 to get 110M coverage is pretty wacky too and implies there is some other factor that makes paying out that much incredibly unlikely, like capped lawsuit payouts.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
$110,000,000 in coverage? Good lord! Are you sure that "M" isn't "thousand"?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Thanks to this discussion I finally got off my butt and bought the umbrella policy.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Apparently the most expensive car crash of all time resulted in $4m in damages, so $110 million is slightly overkill. Makes me feel like that number is marketing more than anything.

Rectovagitron
Mar 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought the idea was that insurance companies typically settle with each other, but they have the lawyer power to settle and that's what you're hoping to buy with your umbrella plan.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ranbo das posted:

Apparently the most expensive car crash of all time resulted in $4m in damages, so $110 million is slightly overkill. Makes me feel like that number is marketing more than anything.

Other countries do liability/torts completely differently from how the USA does it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

smackfu posted:

I mean, paying 400 to get 110M coverage is pretty wacky too and implies there is some other factor that makes paying out that much incredibly unlikely, like capped lawsuit payouts.

Pretty sure there are no caps to legal claims but it essentially means there is no feasible ceiling. As I understand it 5M is the legal minimum but all policies that I've seen are for 100M CHF. I just looked at the UK insurance certificates I could find and the liability there 10 years ago was £20M

https://www.swissre.com/dam/jcr:bb575e19-de0f-45e4-9d2a-286e72949ecf/2018_bodily_injury_landscape_switzerland.pdf

the stats in there for tetraplegia claims are pretty :trumppop: not that I would necessarily believe an insurer.

Another aspect is that everyone here has to have non-vehicle accident insurance which is paid by your employer. So if you hit someone else and they can't work their pay is covered by their own accident insurance. Like many things here it's a bit odd but just how the system is set up. Obviously it wouldn't work if it wasn't mandatory.

Anyway that is probably enough about swiss car insurance

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Question while we're on insurance chat. We have had our auto, home, and umbrella policies with State Farm for the past 7 years. Their premiums have steadily gone up and I would like to shop around for the whole package elsewhere. What's the best way to do this? Contact individual agents for the various insurers? Are there brokers that can do all the quoting and comparing across multiple insurers for me?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ChineseBuffet posted:

Question while we're on insurance chat. We have had our auto, home, and umbrella policies with State Farm for the past 7 years. Their premiums have steadily gone up and I would like to shop around for the whole package elsewhere. What's the best way to do this? Contact individual agents for the various insurers? Are there brokers that can do all the quoting and comparing across multiple insurers for me?

I use a broker, he checks 30 different companies or so. I think it is usually the way to go.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

I use a broker, he checks 30 different companies or so. I think it is usually the way to go.

How much truth is there to smaller insurance companies (say, for auto) being a PITA to reach in the event of an accident, being bad with claims, etc, versus the big national ones?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

How much truth is there to smaller insurance companies (say, for auto) being a PITA to reach in the event of an accident, being bad with claims, etc, versus the big national ones?

Not sure. I have had one claim in 20 years and it was a hit and run that totaled the car (thankfully my GF was ok). We are with Safeco which is a sub of Liberty. They looked at the uploaded photos, said probs totaled, sent tow truck, we had a VERY fair check in less than a week.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to this thread I am the proud holder of $2M of umbrella coverage for $200/yr. Feels good man.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Smashing Link posted:

Thanks to this thread I am the proud holder of $2M of umbrella coverage for $200/yr. Feels good man.

Who'd you go with?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Who'd you go with?

USAA.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

Brb gonna engineer a way to get you to rear end my car in traffic and sue you for $1.9mm

/preemptively orders a neckbrace online

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smashing Link posted:

Does the thread get a commission ?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You have my sincere thanks.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
I just discovered the personal liability coverage of my home owner's insurance. Saved me a couple grand when my kid hit a neighbor's car with his bike and busted up his taillight. There wasn't even a deductible, as it didn't happen on my property. The limit is pretty low, but it was refreshing to be able to hand the problem over to someone else after my neighbor came back with a higher than expected estimate for repairs. Now the insurance company can argue with him about repainting the back part of his car if they want, not my problem anymore. The moral of the story is to read your policy and know what benefits you're entitled to, because you know the insurance company will take advantage of any limitations in there.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jealous.

:911:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I received my $600 Gold State stimulus check and immediately dumped it all into VTSAX. Am I doing this right

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
:hmmyes:

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

I Like Jell-O posted:

I just discovered the personal liability coverage of my home owner's insurance. Saved me a couple grand when my kid hit a neighbor's car with his bike and busted up his taillight. There wasn't even a deductible, as it didn't happen on my property. The limit is pretty low, but it was refreshing to be able to hand the problem over to someone else after my neighbor came back with a higher than expected estimate for repairs. Now the insurance company can argue with him about repainting the back part of his car if they want, not my problem anymore. The moral of the story is to read your policy and know what benefits you're entitled to, because you know the insurance company will take advantage of any limitations in there.

Agreed, dog decided to be terrible and nip the HVAC repair person a few months back. Got a terribly worded letter (misspelled my name 3 times, almost threw it out assuming it was a scam until I realized the date of the incident matched up) about how I needed to call and pay for random stuff associated with it. Just handed it off to my homeowners insurance and it just went away, no muss no fuss.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There are inflation protected investments like VIPSX. You don't get much of a return off it, but at minimum your principal increases enough to keep pace with inflation so you lose no real value. I don't know if there's a time period you have to keep money in there, but that may be viable for what you're looking to do.

I can't find anything about a minimum investment period on the Vanguard web site, but maybe it's buried somewhere. Other than that possibility, and the 0.20% expense ratio, are there any other major downsides and/or reasons to go with something like a TIPS or I-bond from Treasury.gov instead? I've been trying to determine what to do with the money presently in my HYSA which is earning horrifyingly minimal interest.

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 10, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've tried to get two different banks to give me a signature validation seal for this dumb form 5444 that treasury direct is demanding and both of them have said 'uh, we don't know what the hell that is we can't help you'

So I want to know about VIPSX as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Happiness Commando posted:

I've tried to get two different banks to give me a signature validation seal for this dumb form 5444 that treasury direct is demanding and both of them have said 'uh, we don't know what the hell that is we can't help you'

So I want to know about VIPSX as well.

You want a Medallion Signature, try asking for that specifically, a teller isn’t gonna know poo poo about it most likely but a branch manager should have one.