Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You need to remember that Burroughs was on tremendous amounts of heroin when he wrote it.

None of it was meant to be taken literally and can only truly be understood when you yourself have taken a tremendous amount of heroin.
He was also a tremendous pervo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Don’t forget murderer!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Don’t forget murderer!
Yeah that too

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Blood Nightmaster posted:

In addition to this good post I want to link to the Escher Girls blog, which repeatedly points out the issue of the male gaze specifically re: illustrated works. They started with comics but now they've extended the range to basically any commercial media not featuring real women. A screenshot from an article about the blog dated nearly a decade ago, for an example that maybe gets the point across a little more clearly than the shortpacked comic:

The Hawkeye Initiative started because someone swapped Black Widow and Hawkeye's poses on a comic cover.

DontMockMySmock posted:

So yeah, I'm sure there are a few heterosexual women out there who are attracted to a large muscular standoffish man with a strong commitment to family-friendly celibacy, punching bad guys, and disappearing into an alter-ego as soon as the action is over. I'm talking about overall trends, not talking about 100% of all comics and 100% of all comic book fans. And also, the problem isn't any one particular character - in the absence of the wider cultural context, there's nothing wrong with an individual female character who's sexy. But again, we're talking overall trends. You'd be an idiot to not realize that there's a large, systematic problem in the way women are depicted in comic books (and fantasy art in general).

I saw someone argue once that women really love beefcakes because the covers of romance novels are covered in hunky men holding swooning women. Sure, there are women attracted to "The Devil's Mistress" and "The Sheik's Forced Bride" (actual books, btw) but there are a huge amount of modern ones that feature normal dudes. "Single dad" is a really popular genre. Bonus points if she comes back to her hometown and finds that her childhood sweetheart is a single dad trying to get by after the death of his wife.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Well, the Devil is a single dad last time I checked.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

That Italian Guy posted:

Well, the Devil is a single dad last time I checked.

No, no. Satan was a lesbian.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Satan has all the genitals, even ones you never heard of. Especially those.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

DreadUnknown posted:

Satan has all the genitals, even ones you never heard of. Especially those.

It is pandemonium down there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

hyperhazard posted:

Bonus points if she comes back to her hometown and finds that her childhood sweetheart is a single dad trying to get by after the death of his wife.

I've seen that movie twelve or seventeen times by now, thanks Hallmark channel

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phy posted:

I've seen that movie twelve or seventeen times by now, thanks Hallmark channel

There is at least one Hallmark Christmas movie for everyone. Find an actor you like and watch that one, and you have seen them all.

For me it was Tom Cavanagh in Trading Christmas. No, it's not good. Yes, I loved it.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

8one6 posted:

It is pandemonium down there.

pan-dick-moan-yum

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/netflixisajoke/status/1339994167032725504?s=21

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

He was also a tremendous pervo.

Comes with the Heroin. I won't say all, since everyone is unique, but for most people Heroin overloads the dopamine receptors so badly that normal sources just don't really register as well as deadening your sense of touch. Then, when you're off for a few weeks, you got the lovely cocktail of both situations over overcorrecting at the same time.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

It's probably :thejoke: that these "scripts" are written by people, but I still got a chuckle

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

It's probably :thejoke: that these "scripts" are written by people, but I still got a chuckle

In this case, Tommy Wiseau.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

There is at least one Hallmark Christmas movie for everyone. Find an actor you like and watch that one, and you have seen them all.

For me it was Tom Cavanagh in Trading Christmas. No, it's not good. Yes, I loved it.

'Christmas in Vermont' about a failing outdoor wear company named...well...Outdoor, that needs a fantastic new clothing lineup ready to go by Christmas or everyone in town dies.

Not spoiler tagging this, but they succeed even though they start designing the new clothes a week before Christmas and nothing's even ready to sell until Christmas Eve. Stars Howard Hesseman, Morgan Fairchild, and Chevy Chase - who spends 99% of the movie by himself on another set. It felt like they were trying to work around a restraining order the way they separated him from the rest of the cast. It's a wonderful new Christmas tradition since 2019.

Hallmark movies are great because they film 20 of them at the same time in a 2 week orgy of fake snow. The studio cafeteria is probably always filled with a dozen variations of handsome widowers in flannel and uptight ladies in business suits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My mother-in-law loving binges them. As soon as they start she has hallmark on her tv 24/7. She claims it's because they film them all on her small town(Almonte) and she wants to support the local film industry but I also feel like she actually enjoys them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Well yeah it's not a mystery. They're comfortable. They're cute and uplifting and Christmassy. They're not *good* but everyone's got their trash.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My brothers get together every year to binge Hallmark Christmas movies. Just...all of them. I made their days when I informed them of Hallmark Movies Now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I still want to see the Hallmark movie of The House Next Door. The book is an incredibly dark horror story about a new build home that shows anyone who moves in the poo poo that triggers them worst with no CWs. I have no idea how or why the Fluffy Romance Channel adapted it, but damned if I'm not curious.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

I still want to see the Hallmark movie of The House Next Door. The book is an incredibly dark horror story about a new build home that shows anyone who moves in the poo poo that triggers them worst with no CWs. I have no idea how or why the Fluffy Romance Channel adapted it, but damned if I'm not curious.

I think that was Lifetime (The Abused Wife Channel) not Hallmark (Fluffy Romance Channel).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think that was Lifetime (The Abused Wife Channel) not Hallmark (Fluffy Romance Channel).

Ah, that would explain it. (I still want to see it, though.)

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Krispy Wafer posted:

'Christmas in Vermont' about a failing outdoor wear company named...well...Outdoor, that needs a fantastic new clothing lineup ready to go by Christmas or everyone in town dies.

Not spoiler tagging this, but they succeed even though they start designing the new clothes a week before Christmas and nothing's even ready to sell until Christmas Eve. Stars Howard Hesseman, Morgan Fairchild, and Chevy Chase - who spends 99% of the movie by himself on another set. It felt like they were trying to work around a restraining order the way they separated him from the rest of the cast. It's a wonderful new Christmas tradition since 2019.

Hallmark movies are great because they film 20 of them at the same time in a 2 week orgy of fake snow. The studio cafeteria is probably always filled with a dozen variations of handsome widowers in flannel and uptight ladies in business suits.

I'm partial to "a puppy for christmas". The main character decides to adopt a puppy and bring it to her Patrick Bateman-lite boyfriend's apartment where she has no intent or interest in training it so it predictably destroys everything in the place. Patrick Bateman has clearly had to put up with a dozen similar impulsive incidents and breaks up with her. Patrick is also managing a big account to create some real estate development where a farm who can't pay their dues is about to fold up. His company has given him a watch that he is very proud of.

The main character goes to her job (iirc a magazine, because of course) and meets a dude whose family incidentally owns the failing farm and takes a Christmas vacation with him there since it'll be the last year where they can go there. Patrick Bateman is shown hung over with a bunch of his real estate bros after partying too hard, clearly stating that this party life isn't for him and he wants his inconsiderate impulsive girlfriend back

After a magical vacation out on the farm with the new dude, main character is falling for him. However, Patrick Bateman shows up at the farm and says he wants her back. She is conflicted but decides to take him back. She's then disgusted that his real estate deal is going to shutdown this very farm she's had a magical vacation at. Then she somehow pieces together that the late matriarch of the farm has been stashing away tens of thousands of dollars and accounting for it as reindeer feed and storing it in burlap sacks WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE ABOUT IT. This ruins the real estate deal and Patrick feels betrayed, saying one of my favorite movie lines of all time, "THEYRE GOING TO REPOSSESS MY WATCH"

Then the movie realizes it forgot to setup anyone as an actual villain and while he's kind of smarmy, Patrick Bateman hasn't actually done anything wrong. They jam in some last minute, possibly post-production implications that he was cheating on the main character all along. Then every other member of the cast, single file, shoves him into a pile of hay, which he is allergic to

The dog barely shows up or accounts for any of the story or plot after the first 10 minutes

I may have misremembered some of this because I've only watched it in the context of the hallmark movie drinking game and this one will get you very drunk

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did the guy's house have a seat made from the back half of a car?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Last yeah I watched my first Hallmark Christmas movie and it made me incredibly angry.

Christmas in Graceland. Usual busy business woman and single mother is sent from her bank in Chicago to Memphis, Tennessee to work out an acquisition of a bank there. Runs into old flame from high school who shows her the true meaning of Christmas and family etc, etc....

But they kept treating Memphis, a city of almost 700,000 people like it was some tiny rear end podunk town. "Oh everyone is family here, we know everyone. It's not like the big city", that sort of poo poo. Everything was shot to make it look like a typical small town in the south, etc...

Also yeah looking it up after they apparently insisted on filming it in Memphis itself in loving July with fake snow so half the cast and crew got heat stroke from having to wear parkas in a heat wave.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Didn't you know? Everywhere in the South is either deep woods Dueling Banjos wafting on the wind sticks, or podunk towns. We ain't got no cities here.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The tl;dr for every single Hallmark movie ever made is “they fall in love”. Always.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

I thought you were joking at first. That’s an all time great haunted house novel, but I’m guessing since I never heard of the movie, it’s not that great

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Last yeah I watched my first Hallmark Christmas movie and it made me incredibly angry.

Christmas in Graceland. Usual busy business woman and single mother is sent from her bank in Chicago to Memphis, Tennessee to work out an acquisition of a bank there. Runs into old flame from high school who shows her the true meaning of Christmas and family etc, etc....

But they kept treating Memphis, a city of almost 700,000 people like it was some tiny rear end podunk town. "Oh everyone is family here, we know everyone. It's not like the big city", that sort of poo poo. Everything was shot to make it look like a typical small town in the south, etc...

Also yeah looking it up after they apparently insisted on filming it in Memphis itself in loving July with fake snow so half the cast and crew got heat stroke from having to wear parkas in a heat wave.

Reminds me of Newsradio

Phil: Dave this is New York. Not Wisconsin where the lead story is that the farmer’s cow got loose.

Dave: Phil, I worked on Milwaukee a city of over a million people.

Phil: that must have been quite a hubbub when the cow got loose.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Didn't you know? Everywhere in the South is either deep woods Dueling Banjos wafting on the wind sticks, or podunk towns. We ain't got no cities here.

That's true tho.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Reminds me of Newsradio

Phil: Dave this is New York. Not Wisconsin where the lead story is that the farmer’s cow got loose.

Dave: Phil, I worked on Milwaukee a city of over a million people.

Phil: that must have been quite a hubbub when the cow got loose.

I feel this way every time people say there is nothing to do in my hometown, a city with a population of 1 million and about 1.5 for for the GMA. But it's Canada so if you don't live in Vancouver or Toronto (I guess Montreal counts too) you're from a small town

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edmonton or Calgary? I live in Dallas so I'm used to being a few hours from the nearest metro area, but god drat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Sherman burned them all and the knowledge was lost.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I will admit it very rapidly goes real backwoods once you leave the city I live in. Hell, we got a little lost going to a school function in the city proper, and ended up on an actual dirt road, so there's that too.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://1900hotdog.com/2021/06/upsetting-day-last-ounce-of-courage/

Seanbaby wrote a good article about Last Ounce of Courage, which is a Hallmark type Christmas movie where it covers a few of the typical “they’re banning Christmas!” Plots, ending with that famous scene of a kid showing a snuff film to an audience who came to watch a Christmas play.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I tend to find those Hallmark Christmas movies insulting to big cities as well though. Cause the plot always feels like.

I am a NYC/Chicago/Los Angles woman who is a lawyer/fashion/architect and I can't be bothered with personal relationships because city life is too fake/too busy/too full of jerks.

This small town of Mephis is small and charming. I now know what human connection is, after meeting a heterosexual Christian man.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well yeah, their target demo is a portion of America that uses Urban as code for black and New Yorker as code for Jewish. On course a city is a scary place to them.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Christmas movies are just awful. By which I mean "proper" Christmas movies, like "Christmas with the Kranks," where a husband and wife are villified by their community for not celebrating Christmas correctly. Christmas movies like Die Hard, Gremlins, and Lethal Weapon are fine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hallmark audiences yearns for a world that never was. Some quaint traditional village that doesn't appear to have any industry except the Christmas tree farm, yet everyone lives low-key Hamptons style.

And yeah, everyone is White except maybe for the high powered lawyer's best friend back in the city who arrives at the last minute to lock eyes with the only Black guy in town. Contrast that with Black Christmas films where Danny Glover is chasing his philandering son-in-law around with a shotgun.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Did the guy's house have a seat made from the back half of a car?

David DeCoteau has had the weirdest career trajectory.