Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gort posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a line between "Hey, did you see this problem over here, it might be a good idea if you dealt with that" and "No, you should spend your first three actions doing that and then the last action doing this" where you should probably back off a bit and let the player play suboptimally rather than make their presence pointless

But everything needs to be OPTIMAL. Fun and other's agency do not factor in when playin board games. Please respect this unbreakable law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wouldn't care to say what the prevalent opinion is, but Xia was miserable both times I played it. It's very luck-based (roll-to-move, roll-to-fight, roll-to-see-what-you-found), what isn't luck-based is kinda tiresome, and the whole thing takes 3 hours or so. But it is set in space, and maybe you enjoy those three hours pretending you and your friends are traders going around space.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xia would have benefited massively from set map layouts.

If Arydia is going for a hack n slash /w a proper campaign - I could see it working out well, as there are definitely SOME things I like about Xia's gameplay systems.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FulsomFrank posted:

We had a Pax weekend and got to play Pax Viking, Ren (2nd), Pamir (2nd) and I mostly enjoyed all these games, some way more than others.

Pax Viking held up on our second play with 3p and we all had a great time. It felt way easier and simpler than the first time we played and aside from one or two clarifications here and there, it flowed super smoothly and played like a mix of a standard worker placement euro and the Pax series. My only concern is that moving forward I don't know how much attention the market row of cards/sagas/circles are going to get but that remains to be seen. I'm happy we all had a good time because one of our group had played it separately and hated it but I think the bad rulebook combined with fatigue exacerbated his issues.

Next up was Pax Renaissance, second edition. I had never played it but one of the guys has played it about a dozen times or so and the other guy had played it once online. The teaching was maddening and extremely complicated with borderline parody-tier edge cases and exceptions and specifications for every rule. We finally got going and I really had no clue what I was doing but just tried to suss out the mechanics and understand things. The second edition apparently has changed a few things but is mostly the same. One of my main issues is that the cards are very busy and I wish they had a clearer/more simplified way to quickly scan them and keep an eye on what you and your opponents are capable of pulling off. Still enjoyed it but I think it will be tricky to get on the table outside of a very narrow group.

Last up was two games of Pax Pamir: Rug the next day with just me and the GF. She was very skeptical going in and the first game ended after the very first dominance check because for some reason she switched allegiance without understanding the repercussions. Very so so game overall. The second game was something else and might have been one of the best I've ever played. Went right to the end, tons of assassinations, overthrows, allegiance switching, and general strategy/fuckery. She adeptly triggered the final dominance check before I could establish sufficient support to unseat her and boom, won the game. She loved it and said that she had been worried it was too complicated previously but now regards it as fairly simple all things considered. And wants to play it again.

Wait there's more Pax games? Are any of them actually possible to find? Because I really want Pax Pamir but it was a one-time run and it's impossible to find now.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I liked Xia. Thought it was a great game ... of a particular type. Like a huge messy chaotic, crazy stuff happens type game, which comes with the usual variable results, long play time, frequent unfairness. Some of the complaints people level against (the trading rules) got tweaked in the expansion.

Having said that, it's a game I got the time and patience for about once a year.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

nonathlon posted:

I liked Xia. Thought it was a great game ... of a particular type. Like a huge messy chaotic, crazy stuff happens type game, which comes with the usual variable results, long play time, frequent unfairness. Some of the complaints people level against (the trading rules) got tweaked in the expansion.

Having said that, it's a game I got the time and patience for about once a year.

That makes it sound like an experience generator more than a game, IMO. Which is all fine but I think most of the people in this thread prefer games with more impactful choices.
Which is all to say that I'd expect the next game by the Xia designer to follow the same path.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait there's more Pax games? Are any of them actually possible to find? Because I really want Pax Pamir but it was a one-time run and it's impossible to find now.

There are tons. Some more complicated than others. A lot have similar beats but play differently. Pick your theme and go.

I thought Pax Pamir: 2nd edition had a couple of print runs? https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/pax-pamir-second-edition?_pos=1&_sid=067f94bd1&_ss=r

Looks like it'll be back in stock imminently. Treat yourself and get the metal rupees though, they rock.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

There are tons. Some more complicated than others. A lot have similar beats but play differently. Pick your theme and go.

I thought Pax Pamir: 2nd edition had a couple of print runs? https://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/pax-pamir-second-edition?_pos=1&_sid=067f94bd1&_ss=r

Looks like it'll be back in stock imminently. Treat yourself and get the metal rupees though, they rock.

Nice!

I'm bad with money, I ordered Pax Renaissance and Pax Viking from my local game store since those were the two they had in stock.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Reign of Witches is a mini 2p pax-adjacent game that I highly recommend too, from Hollandspiele.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nice!

I'm bad with money, I ordered Pax Renaissance and Pax Viking from my local game store since those were the two they had in stock.

You might want to look into noted covid denier, climate change denier, minsogynst, and racist Phil Eklund before you buy any of his games. The first edition of Pax Pamir was even infected by his garbage because he included a ridiculous essay (and didn't allow Cole to publish his counter essay) since he was the publisher.

If you're coming to the Pax games for mechanical reasons, check out Oath. Same designer as Pamir, but set in a fantasy world and really feels like an evolution on the Pax games with a built in campaign like system that alters the deck and world map between games. If you're here for the historical settings, there's a ton of options we can probably help point you to.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

You might want to look into noted covid denier, climate change denier, minsogynst, and racist Phil Eklund before you buy any of his games. The first edition of Pax Pamir was even infected by his garbage because he included a ridiculous essay (and didn't allow Cole to publish his counter essay) since he was the publisher.

If you're coming to the Pax games for mechanical reasons, check out Oath. Same designer as Pamir, but set in a fantasy world and really feels like an evolution on the Pax games with a built in campaign like system that alters the deck and world map between games. If you're here for the historical settings, there's a ton of options we can probably help point you to.

Ouch. Too late now, but next time I'll know.

I played a few games of Oath, it was fun. And I'd be interested in the options uggested: I'm all for fun boardgame times.

Is there like a good TTS group or something?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i dislike phil as much as the next guy but Oath very much isn't a Pax game. pax ren and pamir 2e are very interesting and good games even though phil's a shithead.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Impermanent posted:

i dislike phil as much as the next guy but Oath very much isn't a Pax game. pax ren and pamir 2e are very interesting and good games even though phil's a shithead.

I also like Pax Porfiriana, although I think it's more for the visual style than it bringing anything unique to the table in terms of Pax gameplay.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Impermanent posted:

Phil had nothing to do with pamir 2e

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Papes posted:

Phil had nothing to do with pamir 2e

oh yeah, that's true - all the more reason to recommend that one imo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Impermanent posted:

I said evolution on the system, and that's what it feels like to me. You manage a limited number of actions and build a small tableau of cards to boost those, the "map" is made up of cards that further drive the game and actions, and there are a variety of win conditions that all have different goals (and you generally need to trigger them and hold on a round before being stopped). It doesn't have the card market, which is the biggest difference beyond setting.

In a way, Oath is closer to other Pax games than Pamir 2 is (being just about scoring points).

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

I also like Pax Porfiriana, although I think it's more for the visual style than it bringing anything unique to the table in terms of Pax gameplay.

I like Porfiriana. It's not as complex as many of the other Pax entries, and it's a surprisingly flexible game that can go in many directions with many strategies. On the down side, it's one of the earliest, the earliest?, Pax game and it's a touch rough around the edges and almost every card has some special power or feature. It's the Sierra Madre games I've had the most success teaching others.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So Par Pamir plays ok at 2 players then? I've got the new version of that and of Pax Renaissance, and I've been debating if my wife and I should try them out before we can get other people to play too.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
I would recommend pax pam 2p! It’s rather cutthroat, and a very different experience than at higher player counts but it works well. Thinking about it maybe playing with 3-4 first might be a better introduction to the game though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a few quick 2p games of it is good for learning the system and getting the rules and possibilities down and worth it before diving in 3-4 all new players IMO. It's very different and not best at 2, but still worth playing.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Arydia looks incredibly fiddly. Look at the amount of busywork required for doing a mundane little task like the most basic 'kill rats' quest.

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 4, 2021

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Played a tense 5 player game of BSG with a bunch of the expansion stuff added (thanks The Black Stones!).

We tried the cylon fleet option and there was a huge swarm of raiders close on our heels the entire game - we'd mange to just get away after they all jumped in and started to swarm us throughout the game.

I was Adama and started as admiral, became president when Ellen Tigh turned out to be a cylon, lost my Admiralty when I drew a second mutiny card and then lost the Presidency to Helo. We managed to eke out a human win with both cylons revealed, Helo and I in prison and Admiral Starbuck successfully making a desperate final jump with every resource at 2 or less.

10/10, would kill toasters again.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Llyranor posted:

Arydia looks incredibly fiddly. Look at the amount of busywork required for doing a mundane little task like the most basic 'kill rats' quest.

Yeah, so many of these big kickstarters feel like they are just trying to replicate computer games. I know some people love this stuff but I can play any one of a number of RPGs if I want the same experience. This is halfway between a videogame and playing dungeons and dragons but way more fiddly and likely limited in content compared to other options.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They're all trying to recreate Gloomhaven's lightning in a bottle but none of them have the mechanical chops of GH but all the bloat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

How's Charterstone? I see it's available on switch/steam/ios, in descending order of price.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

How's Charterstone? I see it's available on switch/steam/ios, in descending order of price.

Unbalanced trash. Like, 1 color wins most campaigns at 45+% rate.

Beyond that, it's a boring worker placement at best.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MonsieurChoc posted:

How's Charterstone?

A giant soup of "convert X into Y" actions.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Funzo posted:

So Par Pamir plays ok at 2 players then? I've got the new version of that and of Pax Renaissance, and I've been debating if my wife and I should try them out before we can get other people to play too.

Most people say the best Pax game for 2p is Pax Renaissance. Pax Pamir 2e is definitely playable at 2p but it's like a knife fight in a phone booth, can be fragile and mistakes are very punishing.

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.
My favorite Pax for two players has actually been Transhumanity

(as long as you don't read the footnotes)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Pax Pamir 2e is definitely playable at 2p but it's like a knife fight in a phone booth, can be fragile and mistakes are very punishing.

Not just mistakes, but the card market too. The wrong flip can and will determine a lot of games at 2. Just another thing to plan for and play around, but it is even more punishing at 2 since it can be a coin flip.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Charterstone is a legacy game that starts out extremly, unenjoyably simply and moves into just being basic by the end. Besides introducing mechanics, each game has a little gimmick, some of which are deeply questionable. One such twist was to roll a D6 at the end of your turn, get a point on a roll of 6. How unlocks are structured means it's possible for fun mechanics to get buried and you'll never see them. And the story is not very compelling.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A game about modelling hot dogs out of clay with wire, and then drafting them. Will it be the hot new trend?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/343876/sell-out-seven/images

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you want a light legacy game try My City, it's much cheaper and I've enjoyed the first half of it I've gone through.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Funzo posted:

I've enjoyed it best at 3. I've got a 13 and a 15 year old that I play with (brothers who are very competitive .. so the games can get pretty cutthroat). That said 2p+Wakan isn't bad, once you get her rules down she seems to create enough space between the players for us that it usually doesn't come down to a single play.

I also have a version of Pax Ren and have not even cracked it open yet. It's sounding better to hear it's good at 2p.

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 4, 2021

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

meatsaw posted:

I also have a version of Pax Ren and have not even cracked it open yet. It's sounding better to hear it's good at 2p.

For the love of God, try to learn the rules beforehand or watch some videos or something because the game is not a joke when it comes to complexity, at least at first glance. It makes Pamir feel like Sushi Go in comparison.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mr. Squishy posted:

Charterstone is a legacy game that starts out extremly, unenjoyably simply and moves into just being basic by the end. Besides introducing mechanics, each game has a little gimmick, some of which are deeply questionable. One such twist was to roll a D6 at the end of your turn, get a point on a roll of 6. How unlocks are structured means it's possible for fun mechanics to get buried and you'll never see them. And the story is not very compelling.

Counterpoint, it had two of the coolest legacy things I've seen in a legacy game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If it’s the two I’m thinking of they’re neat neat gimmicks they don’t come close to justifying the game/time investment.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Bottom Liner posted:

If it’s the two I’m thinking of they’re neat neat gimmicks they don’t come close to justifying the game/time investment.

I dunno, I know what you mean. I had some fun with it, but, the people in my group DEFINITELY had more fun with it than they did with Gloomhaven. For them, the high-quality moment-to-moment gameplay of GH grew stale because they weren't really as gamey gamers as me. The one playing saw, for example, never managed to kill anything, and just did the other thing that saw does, and it wasn't until I looked over her cards I was like "Wait you could have been doing X all this time?!?" But they delighted in the constant unlocks of Charterstone and the frivolity of it.

I agree that it's not (even close to) as good 'mechanically', but, y'know as an experience, for some people, there's definitely mileage in it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Yeah, the people playing Charterstone around here seemed happy with it, although maybe not ecstatic. Perhaps it's a question of weight and expectations - boardgamers can get awfully uptight about what people have fun with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally managed to see my parents after like 2 years and brought Baseball Highlights with me and I really like the game. I think it’s one of those undervalued deck builders and my dad, who usually isn’t much into board games, really enjoys it. Should get some of those expansions for it though.