Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I rewatched all Futurama this year and I think it maintains a pretty high quality even in the seasons after it was brought back. Nothing quite hits the highs of season 4 but there's still some really solid episodes. Simpson was still great in its season 7 though so that makes sense. They hadn't run out of concepts.

Rick and Morty is only on season 5 and they're only doing 10 episodes per season. By the standards of network shows they'd only be halfway through their season 3. To be running on fumes by their 40-somethingth episode doesn't bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

There are examples of shows that just keep getting better until they suddenly end, right?

bojack

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Data Graham posted:

There are examples of shows that just keep getting better until they suddenly end, right?

Futurama maybe, if you don't count anything past the initial run

Venture Bros, it just keeps digging deeper and deeper. But this is kinda what you get with a 2 person writing team that rewatches all their old stuff before writing a season. It is always amazing to watch something and a random throw away character with a single line has a side arc 3 seasons later just because.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I fell off on watching Rick and Morty, but I can easily see how they would get into a bit of a rut and go into decay, since where I stopped watching it was already super dark, an it can't get much darker without becoming too depressing and losing the comedy, but also it seems pretty oriented against showing the characters improve and develop from where they were, so there's not much of a direction for it to go other than just treading water.

Data Graham posted:

Futurama maybe, if you don't count anything past the initial run

I think foreign media in England or Canada have better odds of being good through to the end because they're more likely to just end sooner, while American shows are more prone to extending indefinitely until interest dies. Something to do with the difference in how their respective industries are run.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I'm mostly disappointed because I think more than half the episodes have been a very straightforward parodies. I'm sure for some people, those are their favorite episodes, but I always liked the more out there weird nonsense episodes. So far we've had Namor, Captain Planet, Hellraiser, and Voltron. Was it always like this and I'm just remembering wrong? Sure, it was always riffing on stuff, the basic concept is just a dumb Doc & Marty riff (in a fun way, I mean) but somehow it feels like it's no longer bringing something new to the table. It's like "what if Voltron, but edgy" and then that's the whole episode.

That said, I did like the Hellraiser episode, at least. And yeah, there's always at least a few funny bits. But it does feel like it's sliding towards a much less imaginative direction.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I think there's like 1 direct reference episode per season normally which feels fine. There was Purge planet, and Mad Max planet. It works best when they take stuff from 20 sources and cram it into the same episode. Like the Vat of Acid feels very Joker and Batman at first then veers right off that plot and does something else.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
To me it feel like they had to hire additional writers to deal with the new workload and the new people just aren’t as good. Not outright bad mind you but there’s a huge gap in quality between, say, the Namor episode and the Captain Planet one.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I fell off on watching Rick and Morty, but I can easily see how they would get into a bit of a rut and go into decay, since where I stopped watching it was already super dark, an it can't get much darker without becoming too depressing and losing the comedy, but also it seems pretty oriented against showing the characters improve and develop from where they were, so there's not much of a direction for it to go other than just treading water.

It got buried under people obsessing over the Szechuan Sauce joke, but the heart of the season 2 opener was that they had a chance to go the Venture Brothers route with an increasingly complicated and kind of dramatic story to draw the seasons out, and they choose to laugh and light it on fire. It was funny and cool in the moment (and part of what made the show interesting) but that might be biting them in the rear end right around now.

At the start of the season it seemed like they were going to have a good through line by focusing on Morty just wanting to have a more normal teenage life as he got sick of Rick's bullshit, but that's fallen by the wayside hard.

The season's been okay, but it does feel like it's spinning its wheels a little. On top of it just not hitting like it used to after 4 seasons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

readingatwork posted:

To me it feel like they had to hire additional writers to deal with the new workload and the new people just aren’t as good. Not outright bad mind you but there’s a huge gap in quality between, say, the Namor episode and the Captain Planet one.

Well the show started what like 7-8 years ago now, right? They're likely already into that phase in a show's life where the new hires grew up on the show and their developed humor is a copy of the original so the characters start to Flanderize. Past labor complaints against Harmon and Roiland would suggest they're not breaking the bank on getting experienced new blood into the room.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

drat, Masters of the Universe Revelation was great! I was iffy on it after the first episode (which I thought had slightly uneven writing), but after that it got very very good. I'm eagerly awaiting part 2 and hoping that idiots online don't manage to mess up this awesome show for the rest of us.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kevin Smith famously hates internet trolls so much he ended one of his movies with him flying to internet troll’s houses, reading out their posts outloud, and beating them up. I’m sure he knows how to handle the criticism.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well the show started what like 7-8 years ago now, right?

No it only started a few yea… oh… oh no.

I’m old!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rick & Morty first aired in 2013, with multiple seasons having a year+ wait. It’s actually ok for a show to get weirder and branch out after 8-9 years.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grNyMn9HDXU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Rick & Morty first aired in 2013, with multiple seasons having a year+ wait. It’s actually ok for a show to get weirder and branch out after 8-9 years.

Venture Bros might be the king of this.

The first season is like, extremely 2003 humor.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah they say “trannie” in the first or second season and it always stands out as super cringe on rewatches

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
The Late Phillip J. Fry basically justifies the Futurama revival on its own

Prisoner of Benda was also good, especially because they legit proved a mathematical theorem for it

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

The Late Phillip J. Fry basically justifies the Futurama revival on its own

Prisoner of Benda was also good, especially because they legit proved a mathematical theorem for it

Is it Ken Keeler who was a literal math phD?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yes and he was the one who had the theorem that was used for Prisoner of Benda.

I started a re-watch of Futurama a few months ago and wrapped it up earlier this week and while there aren't as many memorable episodes in the revival I will say this: the show vastly improved when Fry and Leela started dating. They were able to write about different things and a lot of the better episodes focused on them being together instead of retreading material that had already been covered in the original series. I think the only thing I wasn't as fond of was when Bender got focal episodes since that led to pointless poo poo like Assie Come Home

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The concepts might have been better (dubious) but they just weren't very funny.

Of course I haven't tried rewatching it anytime recently

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Confession time: I was BEYOND hopeful for the Futurama revival and waited on baited breath for it. Either the first or second episode back is some weirdly contrived plot for Leela and Zap Brannigan to get stranded on a deserted planet and gently caress, and it was just so atrociously unfunny and out of touch with literally ANYTHING I liked about Futurama that I abandoned it entirely. I watched the movies a few years later and the one with the David Cross sex monster felt like I was being trolled.

To this day I’ve only ever seen the movies and that one episode, it was just so precisely “NOT WHAT I WANTED” from the show, I felt like it was a fan fiction for Zapp fans that accidentally got made into a script

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

No doubt, I remember watching it live and wondering what the heck happened (though I also wasn't too hot after the third movie) seeing as the first few episodes had the weird Zapp/Leela episode and the iPhone episode. Rewatching I didn't really feel like the revival hit its stride until the back half of season 6, and that's a big ask

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked the revival just fine, but if you're not on board with a full binge, definitely check out The Late Philip J Fry and Prisoner of Benda, they were both fantastic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I liked the revival just fine, but if you're not on board with a full binge, definitely check out The Late Philip J Fry and Prisoner of Benda, they were both fantastic.

Murder on the Planet Express was also extremely good.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Murder on the Planet Express was also extremely good.

these three were actually my top 3 of the revival as well :hfive:

the one with Fry's mom is also pretty good, although it's trying to recapture the one with his brother a bit

the robosexual marriage one was pretty ok I remember, although very topical to its time. The Bender and Hermes one with Bender's defect was good too I think.

The Mutants are Revolting had a really good gag to Devo: "play whip it!" Devo guy: "...play the other one". The one with the space whale has one of my favourite subtle sight gags when the crew slams into the wall one-by-one, Bender slams twice, first and last

there's some other ones that might tickle your funny bone, like the minority report parody one, but I dunno.

The series finale is fairly solid and is worth a watch

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Beavis and Butt-head

And when they brought it back in 2011 and it was even better. Even it's spinoffs (Daria and KOTH, sorta) ruled.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s been the general reception of Jellystone? I can’t tell if it’s good or if this Twitter account posting scraps of it is showing just the greatest hits. I’m starting to think I need a HBO Max account or something.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's good, but not like amazing. It's about the level as Chowder. Funny and weird.

I don't think it has like any particularly deep cuts or insightful takes on the Hanna-Barbera characters, but then my brain isn't really attuned to that frequency to really say. A couple of characters got their genders flipped to better round out the cast (and I think it worked out best with the yellow scarf fox), and Yogi, Booboo, and Cindy Bear are all doctors for some reason, which sets up some fun things. Huckleberry Hound is the mayor. There's a lot of kazoo music.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not like they haven't changed up these characters as convenient since the very start.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What would be the 2020s equivalent of those whoopie caps and porkpie hats from the 40s they all wear

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bucket Hats. There are a lot of modern cartoon characters (usually supporting) that are rocking the Bucket Hats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hoodies, too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

What would be the 2020s equivalent of those whoopie caps and porkpie hats from the 40s they all wear

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's good, but not like amazing. It's about the level as Chowder. Funny and weird.

I don't think it has like any particularly deep cuts or insightful takes on the Hanna-Barbera characters, but then my brain isn't really attuned to that frequency to really say. A couple of characters got their genders flipped to better round out the cast (and I think it worked out best with the yellow scarf fox), and Yogi, Booboo, and Cindy Bear are all doctors for some reason, which sets up some fun things. Huckleberry Hound is the mayor. There's a lot of kazoo music.

If be surprised if there was anything deeper about the show other than being a sort of love letter those characters with modern touches.

It's just a good, clean kids oriented comedy cartoon using characters their parents and grandparents might recognize.

I also appreciate their variation on the three kids in a trench coat gag

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if I'd call Jellystone a love letter, since it's not like it's really illustrating or demonstrating what people liked about the original cartoons, but that's not the only angle for making use of a classic IP.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm not sure if I'd call Jellystone a love letter, since it's not like it's really illustrating or demonstrating what people liked about the original cartoons, but that's not the only angle for making use of a classic IP.

Maybe "tribute" is a better word, but there's definitely a lot of love and respect for those characters even beyond the really well known ones. It's a shame they probably can't use the Scooby gang or The Wacky Races which are two of the biggest HB properties of the era, but they're basically unavailable because of other projects in the works.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The new season of Lower Decks just started and remains pretty good. Hearing Riker proclaim, “This jam session has too many licks and not enough come” is really something. I’m not sure what exactly, but it’s something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1427690882594136069?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeeeah Gumball and Marshall Lee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wait when was Stavvy on seinfeld