Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Insurrectum posted:

How do people get king-sized beds up stairwells? The perpendicular distance between our stairs and our stairwell ceiling is only 62 inches. We fit a queen through, but my wife is dead set on getting a non-split king. Is our only option a bed-in-a-box that we expand in our room?

I'm thinking either a bed in a box, or you get a crane to deliver it through a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Insurrectum posted:

How do people get king-sized beds up stairwells? The perpendicular distance between our stairs and our stairwell ceiling is only 62 inches. We fit a queen through, but my wife is dead set on getting a non-split king. Is our only option a bed-in-a-box that we expand in our room?

Pivot

PIVOT

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Khizan posted:

Speaking of sheets, when I bought my Purple 3 from Mattress Firm their softstretch sheets came in a bundle with it. I love these loving sheets. Do you know how well they hold up? I'm strongly considering getting another set of them so I can alternate them.

They're significantly more durable than the OG Purple sheets. I'd expect to get a few years out of them. My personal expectation for good sheets is ~3 years.

Insurrectum posted:

Dillbag posted:

Pivot

PIVOT

But unironically.

Seriously, though, mattresses bend, and you'll need to do that to get something out of there eventually. Foam mattresses may bend more easily than coil based, just make sure you get something without connected coils because that poo poo won't bend at all. But at 62 inches? I'm not optimistic you'd get something in there remotely easily. While a BIAB will get in, you'll eventually have to get it out, and that will be quite difficult. To get a king in there, you'll have to be able to flex it down over a foot and a half along its entire length.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Rachet strap, move quickly and hope it bounces back?
This coming from one who put their childhood twin in their trunk, heed at your own peril!

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Synastren posted:

Historically, folks who sleep too cold haven't been targeted, as there is a fairly easy solution in "get more blankets and/or wear heavier pjs." Hot sleepers, in contrast, can only get so naked, you know? :v:

I'd encourage you to look at more traditional styled innerspring mattresses, or mid-tier hybrids that specifically don't have much in the way of cooling (e.g., the Sealy Copper series, BeautyRest hybrids that do not belong in a larger collection). As long as you avoid mattresses that feature cooling, you'll probably be ok!

If you get super cold, microfiber sheets are your friend.

Thanks for this - after trying out a few mattresses I kinda realized that I do actually kind of like an initial cool feel, and even the purple does warm up enough eventually. After a bit of looking, I'm choosing between the serta icomfort, a purple 2, or a (a bit over my original budget of around 2k but honestly I really liked the feel of it) tempur adapt. Any strong feelings on the three of these?

e: actually also toss in the costco version of the tempur in there, the contour

Argona fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 19, 2021

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Argona posted:

Thanks for this - after trying out a few mattresses I kinda realized that I do actually kind of like an initial cool feel, and even the purple does warm up enough eventually. After a bit of looking, I'm choosing between the serta icomfort, a purple 2, or a (a bit over my original budget of around 2k but honestly I really liked the feel of it) tempur adapt. Any strong feelings on the three of these?

e: actually also toss in the costco version of the tempur in there, the contour

If you're looking for cooling, purple2 would likely be the coolest.

iComfort would be a solid buy, and would kinda be like a budget adapt.

I wanted to unpack Tempur specifically a bit, though.
I would expect that Adapt Hybrid to be cooler than the Adapt, given the coil based support. Costco does not have their own version of Tempur. The Contour/Cloud (and kinda the Flex) lines were the old Tempur product introduced in 2014 and discontinued in 2018. I know those extremely well, and could go into a large explanation across all of the old catalog, but it'll be easier if I just compare them to current models. The Contour Supreme is going to be firm AF; the closest in feel to it is the ProAdapt Firm, and that thing is hard as a rock. The Contour Supreme was the firmest Tempur available, with the Cloud Prima coming in at a close second. The Cloud Supreme, on the other hand is essentially the Adapt Medium. Like, the biggest differences are that the Adapt has a cooler cover, and is an inch taller in its base layer. The construction is otherwise nearly identical.

If you really like the Adapt, and you have a Costco membership, and you have no urgency to get a mattress quickly, I'd suggest the Cloud Supreme. It looks like Costco sells it for ~1.7k, which is a bit below the best sale I've seen on an Adapt (~1999) if you don't need any accessories, etc. If you want something quickly, go to your local Mattress Firm (if possible), and shop for the Purple2 or Adapt. We match prices, and will grudgingly waive delivery fees if you bring up that it's free from Tempurpedic. iComforts will more likely be in stock elsewhere, if at all.

Of your choices, I'd put the Adapt as the best, but a current iComfort would likely be a bit cooler. A Cloud Supreme from Costco would be slightly cheaper. And Purple is absolutely completely different from any of the previous ones!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Khizan posted:

Speaking of sheets, when I bought my Purple 3 from Mattress Firm their softstretch sheets came in a bundle with it. I love these loving sheets. Do you know how well they hold up? I'm strongly considering getting another set of them so I can alternate them.

They don’t hold up at all. They get holes in them super quick.

They of course now sell a thicker more expensive version which seems much more durable.

Edit: oh I guess the soft stretch is the new one. You good then. I was first referencing the original Purple sheets which they still sell.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 20, 2021

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Maybe not quite the right place, but does anyone have suggestions for foldout couches with good foam mattresses, or that can accommodate them? The ones I've found so far have 5in mattresses, due to folding I assume, not sure if that's enough to be comfortable, especially for older parents.

New place has a small room we want to be able to host people but use for other things the rest of the time, so a normal bed is too big. Not a big fan of wall beds and googling suggests they may not work with good foam mattresses due to weight.

Really like our temperpedic mattress and would like to get something close to that in comfortable if at all possible.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

You could do the daybed option since you could use any mattress instead of being stuck with a folding one. They do tend to look more like a disguised bed than a couch though.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Synastren posted:

Of your choices, I'd put the Adapt as the best, but a current iComfort would likely be a bit cooler. A Cloud Supreme from Costco would be slightly cheaper. And Purple is absolutely completely different from any of the previous ones!

Thanks for this post, it really helped to get my thoughts together. I had decided on getting the Adapt, but I actually ended up trying out the ProAdapt Medium Hybrid in the store and just went for it. It was overbudget but eh, its a (hopefully) once in 15-20 years purchase, worth spending more to guarantee no real what if feelings. At least I got some free fancy pillows with it :v

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
About six months ago, I got a new bed from Wayfair and a new mattress from Mattress Firm (a hybrid Sealy for about $1.5k), buying both blind because COVID. It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but it seemed to get better after a couple weeks and it was fine...until now, six months later, when I'm waking up with lower back pain virtually every day. Rotating the bed or moving to different positions seems to have no effect, and I'm outside of Mattress Firm's return window. Where should I go from here? I'm wary of just tossing the current one and buying another bed in case the same thing happens again.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Main Paineframe posted:

About six months ago, I got a new bed from Wayfair and a new mattress from Mattress Firm (a hybrid Sealy for about $1.5k), buying both blind because COVID. It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but it seemed to get better after a couple weeks and it was fine...until now, six months later, when I'm waking up with lower back pain virtually every day. Rotating the bed or moving to different positions seems to have no effect, and I'm outside of Mattress Firm's return window. Where should I go from here? I'm wary of just tossing the current one and buying another bed in case the same thing happens again.

What exactly is going on? Is the bed starting to dip in places, or is there anything that seems out of the ordinary?

Also, which mattress model did you get?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Synastren posted:

What exactly is going on? Is the bed starting to dip in places, or is there anything that seems out of the ordinary?

Also, which mattress model did you get?

Seems like it's starting to sag or lose support pretty much everywhere outside the exact middle. It's getting worse, too. I'm starting to feel back pain before I even fall asleep, regardless of whether I lay on my side or my back.

The original order says it's a Sealy Hybrid Performance Kelburn II 13" Medium Mattress.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Main Paineframe posted:

Seems like it's starting to sag or lose support pretty much everywhere outside the exact middle. It's getting worse, too. I'm starting to feel back pain before I even fall asleep, regardless of whether I lay on my side or my back.

The original order says it's a Sealy Hybrid Performance Kelburn II 13" Medium Mattress.

If you have a visible impression, you're covered with a warranty. That mattress shouldn't be acting like that, so it's worth looking into.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Synastren posted:

If you have a visible impression, you're covered with a warranty. That mattress shouldn't be acting like that, so it's worth looking into.

The support when actually putting weight on it has become badly uneven all over the bed, but there doesn't seem to be a visible impression when nothing's on it. Still, a manufacturing defect...that's something I never considered.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Main Paineframe posted:

The support when actually putting weight on it has become badly uneven all over the bed, but there doesn't seem to be a visible impression when nothing's on it. Still, a manufacturing defect...that's something I never considered.

That's truly bizarre.

I'd recommend calling the store you purchased from (if applicable), and seeing what they have to say. I expect they'll be similarly surprised by it. You may be able to get authorization from the local corporate leadership for an exception to exchange it, but expect to pay delivery, at minimum, because it's later than the policy would dictate. Hell, you pay for delivery even on a warranty claim, regardless of where the product was purchased as a warranty covers the cost of goods but not services.

Definitely try to get it solved locally first, but expect it may take a day or two for anyone to get back to you. Make sure you speak with the store manager, as it is more likely a sleep expert will forget to report things up the chain properly and may not follow up well.

If that fails, file a warranty claim, and be explicit about what is going wrong with your product. If that falls through, you have better odds than you think to overturn the denial if you dispute it with a clear explanation about why it may not be visible in photos.

ed: If you go to Tempur-Sealy, they will just give you a form letter that tells you to go back to your retailer.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm looking to buy a king purple 3 soon. Are there any deals worth waiting for coming up in the next one to two months? Do purples go on sale for labor day?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spikes32 posted:

I'm looking to buy a king purple 3 soon. Are there any deals worth waiting for coming up in the next one to two months? Do purples go on sale for labor day?

If there will be one, it will be around Labor Day most likely. If you were planning on getting accessories to go with the mattress, it makes basically no difference (if you go through Mattress Firm at least, as MFRM doesn't carry the cheaper accessories that purple dot com gives away), as they always come with some amount of free accessories. If you're getting it through Purple directly, I'd wait for the sale.

Don't expect more than ~$200 off. Most I've ever seen on a Purple 3 was $300 off, with no additional savings on anything at all, and it was for a holiday weekend.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks! So mattress firms labor day deals won't be any different than what's normally available, while the purple website may have a couple hundred off. I appreciate the info

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spikes32 posted:

Thanks! So mattress firms labor day deals won't be any different than what's normally available, while the purple website may have a couple hundred off. I appreciate the info

Purple is nationally priced, and so they dictate the sale for everyone who sells their product.

Any regular purchase is slightly better from Mattress Firm because we do a free set of soft stretch sheets and a protector instead of their standard sheets and whatever their cheap pillow is called.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That makes sense thanks! I'll wait and see if any deals come out and if not get it from mattress firm.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
We're looking for a new mattress at the moment and gonna go do the showroom tryout soon, but we're a goon sized couple and I've been looking into the Saatva HD and Winkbed Plus, neither of which have an in-store presence near us. Anyone have any personal experience with either of these mattresses (or brands)? They're both hybrid latex/coil beds made for heavier people, we've both got back pain issues with our current ancient all-foam piece, and we want something on the firmer side that sleeps cool. The Saatva seems to review real well, but is it "extra thousand dollars" better than the bed-in-box Winkbed?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've got a Winkbed Luxury Firm CalKing for 2 years and Firmer Queen as a guest bed for a 1.5 and they have been great. They need handles though! I tried a PLUS thinking I wanted a super stiff Klingon bed but I ate the $50 or whatever and sent it back, it was very very firm but probably would have lasted forever. I think they still make returns relatively easy......

That being said I believe the $2k Beautyrests that Synastren mentions are available locally with similar performance.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
This is a XcrossX post, as follows:

hi goons. I'm moving into an unfurnished apartment for 5-6 months while on business contract out of state. I made a friend so I can have stuff shipped for me to her address locally. I am happy to not have furniture but I might want something to sleep on. Was just going to use a sleeping bag until I can figure it out. I like Japanese floor mattresses, traditional futons. I like Emoor as a brand. Does anyone else have anything particular that might work well. I could maybe rent something but it might be cheaper to buy a minimal folding type mattress that I can throw in the back of my pickup truck and take home with me when contract is over. Like this
https://www.amazon.com/EMOOR-Tri-Fo...8823949&sr=8-15

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

You could even get a memory foam mattress up to about 8 inches that you could roll up and tie with rope or a strap and take with you. I'd look up beds in a box just to see what's out there in the 8 inch and under range that you'd be happy with.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Synastren posted:

You could even get a memory foam mattress up to about 8 inches that you could roll up and tie with rope or a strap and take with you. I'd look up beds in a box just to see what's out there in the 8 inch and under range that you'd be happy with.

Thanks. I went in store and looked at the beds in a box. I looked at the 8" but it was too soft, so walked out with a 10" for $300. Just a twin. When I'm ready to move out of state in January, I'll try to sell it on facebook or craigslist.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Someone on my Nextdoor is selling a "practically new Purple Mattress and frame Queen size" for $800. Originally over $3000 and it's a Purple 4 Hybrid Premier.

Do I ... 1) message her saying "where did you get it? Odds are good you can return it and get your money back", or 2) take the plunge and get this thing for myself?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

1) message her saying "where did you get it? Odds are good you can return it and get your money back"

They bought it decided it wasn't right for them and used the donate return program and then forged the return slip and kept the mattress and is now selling it for a profit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Someone on my Nextdoor is selling a "practically new Purple Mattress and frame Queen size" for $800. Originally over $3000 and it's a Purple 4 Hybrid Premier.

Do I ... 1) message her saying "where did you get it? Odds are good you can return it and get your money back", or 2) take the plunge and get this thing for myself?
The costs for removing bed bugs in money, time, and trauma are high. I don't think I would ever buy a used mattress if you're in an area they're known to be in.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Looks like purples labor day sale is $150 off a king 3. Not a ton of money saved, synestrian would you reccomend just getting it at mattress firm instead with the free bundle sheets etc?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Spikes32 posted:

Looks like purples labor day sale is $150 off a king 3. Not a ton of money saved, synestrian would you reccomend just getting it at mattress firm instead with the free bundle sheets etc?

Mattress Firm matches promos with Purple, just like Tempur-Sealy. You come out ahead at MattFirm because we don't carry the lower end Purple accessories, so you basically get some free upgrades.

Go with whichever you prefer!

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010
Kind of stuck between a purple hybrid 2, 3, a purple plus (I can't find jack for reviews on this, the one review on youtube says its softer than the 2 and much softer than the base purple), and a nectar premier. However the salesmen at my local mattfirm specifically warned me off nectar and there's a real grudge against them online, from what I've seen.

Any suggestions to tip the scale? I'd just shell out for a hybrid purple 3 if I could without wincing but the plus and nectar are about a grand less.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Double Deux posted:

Kind of stuck between a purple hybrid 2, 3, a purple plus (I can't find jack for reviews on this, the one review on youtube says its softer than the 2 and much softer than the base purple), and a nectar premier. However the salesmen at my local mattfirm specifically warned me off nectar and there's a real grudge against them online, from what I've seen.

Any suggestions to tip the scale? I'd just shell out for a hybrid purple 3 if I could without wincing but the plus and nectar are about a grand less.

I haven't encountered too many problems with Nectar's original model and I do not oversee an area that has access to the Lush or Premier Nectar models. They're fine, but all foam, and may not be your cup of tea generally.

I do not much care for the Purple original, nor the Purple2, but that's based on my personal feelings about the feel, and the return rates that they enjoy relative to the premium Purple hybrids. Purple 3 is far and away more popular than any other Purple mattress; given the density of the purple grid 3 inches is the sweet spot for feel, I think. That said, they are fine products for folks who fully understand the firmer feel of those models!

Purple plus is super new, but I'll remain skeptical about it until I can actually touch it. There is almost no information, and what heightens my skepticism is that somehow the plus and original are the same weight, which is super weird considering they changed two full inches of foam. That would mean that the new foam is not more dense than what was in the original model, so it would just have to have different firmness without different durability? It's really strange to see.

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010

Synastren posted:

I haven't encountered too many problems with Nectar's original model and I do not oversee an area that has access to the Lush or Premier Nectar models. They're fine, but all foam, and may not be your cup of tea generally.

I do not much care for the Purple original, nor the Purple2, but that's based on my personal feelings about the feel, and the return rates that they enjoy relative to the premium Purple hybrids. Purple 3 is far and away more popular than any other Purple mattress; given the density of the purple grid 3 inches is the sweet spot for feel, I think. That said, they are fine products for folks who fully understand the firmer feel of those models!

Purple plus is super new, but I'll remain skeptical about it until I can actually touch it. There is almost no information, and what heightens my skepticism is that somehow the plus and original are the same weight, which is super weird considering they changed two full inches of foam. That would mean that the new foam is not more dense than what was in the original model, so it would just have to have different firmness without different durability? It's really strange to see.

Thanks for the info. I think my main problem was just trying to find a medium firmness foam/hybrid mattress. The only affordable one seemed to be Nectar, as the base model for casper/purple/etc is solidly "firm". I went ahead and ordered a nectar premier, based on how much I liked the lush, If that doesn't work out I'll try out the purple plus barring new, negative info on it and if I don't like THAT my holiday bonus will be around the corner so I could buy a purple 3 and not feel as bad.

What also tipped the scales was that Nectar was handing out tons of freebies that I could feasibly chuck on ebay to knock another 2-300 off the purchase price, which doesn't hurt.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Anyone have opinions on adjustable beds? I'm looking at them since I need to buy something to put a mattress on anyways. They all basically look the same to me with brands/models just mix/matching the same sets of features. Are they all more or less the same and probably manufactured by maybe 1-2 companies and rebranded kinda like how standing desks are/were? At the very least, the one purple sells is presumably made by a company named Ergomotion since they do the warranty, and ergomotion sells their own quest line. I'd also assume mattress firm is probably buying a mostly off the shelf solution and putting their brand on it, but I don't know if that's something you'd know or would be allowed to say.

Also, if the electronics died for some when it wasn't already lying flat, is there usually an easy way to put it back down to flat without repairing the electronics?

I guess the other question is are they just a gimmick? I do like to read or use a laptop in bed, but I also don't really like leaning against the headboard

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

gwrtheyrn posted:

Anyone have opinions on adjustable beds? I'm looking at them since I need to buy something to put a mattress on anyways. They all basically look the same to me with brands/models just mix/matching the same sets of features. Are they all more or less the same and probably manufactured by maybe 1-2 companies and rebranded kinda like how standing desks are/were? At the very least, the one purple sells is presumably made by a company named Ergomotion since they do the warranty, and ergomotion sells their own quest line. I'd also assume mattress firm is probably buying a mostly off the shelf solution and putting their brand on it, but I don't know if that's something you'd know or would be allowed to say.

Also, if the electronics died for some when it wasn't already lying flat, is there usually an easy way to put it back down to flat without repairing the electronics?

I guess the other question is are they just a gimmick? I do like to read or use a laptop in bed, but I also don't really like leaning against the headboard

Adjustable bases a loving good. Changing the shape of your mattress is just as important as the mattress itself imo. With a base, you should sleep elevated every night to improve breathing, assist with acid reflux and/or help mediate snoring. Being able to adjust the feet makes basically every bed more comfy.

There are a few big adjustable base manufacturers, who are often also making products for other vendors. The two biggest are, far and away, Leggett & Platt and Erogmotion. Ergomotion makes bases for Tempur-Sealy (e.g., the Tempur Ergo lol), Serta & Beautyrest, and also at least one Purple base. L&P have their own line, and also make bases for other manufacturers. Mantua is another pretty large player in the space. There are two others that are fairly well known in Reverie (who made the original Purple power base) and Malouf, who usually make accessories.

Most bases have the same articulation action, particularly with regard to where they bend and the range of motion. They may adjust smoothly, or they may adjust incrementally. Massage (read: oscillation) is actually pretty baller, but not the most vital of features.

The Mattress Firm bases are somewhat complex. The company is so large that a single company can't stock everything, so the bases are sourced from multiple manufacturers for three of the four options. If you're in the midwest, it's likely that the 50/300/600 are all made by L&P. If you're not there, they're made by someone else, but they all work from the same plans, and they're virtually identical except for generally cosmetic differences in their remotes. They're all domestic products, though, that much I know.

ed: All bases also have a battery powered flat backup. The implementation varies based on model, but usually a battery or two accompanied by a button press will flatten a base which has no power from an outlet.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Synastren posted:

There are a few big adjustable base manufacturers, who are often also making products for other vendors. The two biggest are, far and away, Leggett & Platt and Erogmotion. Ergomotion makes bases for Tempur-Sealy (e.g., the Tempur Ergo lol), Serta & Beautyrest, and also at least one Purple base. L&P have their own line, and also make bases for other manufacturers.

Conveniently, I was looking between ergomotion/L&P (quest 2.5 vs s-cape or prodigy 2.0). Would you say one is particularly better from a quality and/or warranty support perspective? L&P seems like it's more expensive, so I'd hope they'd be better in that regard. I can afford the price difference, but there's no sense spending more if it's not buying anything.

Capacitive "buttons" being a "premium" feature needs to die though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My fiancé and I are moving and thinking about upgrading to a king sized bed once we get moved.

The fiancé is a toss and turner, and i'm a side sleeper.

Currently we're sharing a bit too small Ghost Queen.

We don't really need the adjustable frame, so we'll probably get a single King + frame vs a adjustable frame + Double Twin.

I'm leaning towards a king sized Purple+frame, but we're open to ideas/suggestions.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

gwrtheyrn posted:

Conveniently, I was looking between ergomotion/L&P (quest 2.5 vs s-cape or prodigy 2.0). Would you say one is particularly better from a quality and/or warranty support perspective? L&P seems like it's more expensive, so I'd hope they'd be better in that regard. I can afford the price difference, but there's no sense spending more if it's not buying anything.

Capacitive "buttons" being a "premium" feature needs to die though.

I definitely have some thoughts on those. Note that while I've not messed with those specific models, I'm familiar with both manufacturers and some of their current and past offerings.

The Quest 2.5 is shockingly similar to the Tempur-Ergo, which is a very solid base. Their massage (read: oscillation) is usually quite good, which is super evident in the Ergo--but it is not very good in some of their lower end options. This is priced similarly to the Ergo, which is indicative of its quality in their overall offerings. I'm a bit annoyed at their listed features because many of those are almost standard on bases. Marketing is hard, I guess!

The Prodigy seems similar to a couple of old bases we carried. It's bizarre to see wallhugger bases floating around, as that seems to have gone by the wayside, replaced by zero clearance bases. Wallhugger (it goes by a few other names) is a system by which the lateral push of the articulation of the head of the mattress is compensated by means of some sort of suspension that pulls the whole upper deck of the base backwards. In other words, you won't move forward in the room with a wallhugger base. Practically, it means that your night stand will be at the same place relative to your shoulder. Zero clearance bases are built in such a way that you can remove the legs and place the base on anything--the floor, or platform beds, for example. These two technologies seem somewhat opposed, as the suspension system for a wallhugger base generally needs some amount of clearance. Somehow it looks like they've managed to skirt that incompatibility and have combined those things, so that's pretty dope.

Wallhugger notwithstanding, the Prodigy has two things going in its favor over the Quest: a manual pillow tilt (a baller AF feature), and almost certainly has stronger actuators. Strong actuators are a L&P hallmark. In contrast, I'd expect Ergomotion to have more easily used controls, and the massage is at least equal to if not superior over the Prodigy series.

If you have the faintest interest in smart bases, I'd go for the Tempur Ergo instead, though, as it's virtually the same price as the Quest, can be demoed at any place that sells Tempur mattresses, and the sleep tracker is an optional addon that could be purchased later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Great, sounds like both are probably solid options depending on how much I'm looking to spend. App/service integration is basically an anti-feature for all home goods for me, but I'll take a look at the tempur as well.